Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Good news, you only have to do the scavenger hunt in Revita once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

PostNouveau posted:

Good news, you only have to do the scavenger hunt in Revita once

Technically not true if you're going for full 100% completion. Also it can be worth doing for the reward(s). I still do the key thing about half the time.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I really tried to like Revita but the difficulty spike between "normal" runs and going for the real boss was just too much for my skill level and I barely managed to do it even with the maximum accessibility slowdown.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it's been a while since i played tiny rogues and i see there's new stuff that i have no idea what is

what's the tiny little green man, the skull and crossbones, the cross and the potions?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
green man is your free evade one hit per room, potions are your healing flasks, skull and crossbones lets you know that you don't have any death defies left and you will actually die die if you hit 0 hp again

e: oh forgot miss the cross... i think that is curse nullification? that is the only one i am not sure i am correctly remembering

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 24, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, the gist of it is that they aren't really new systems, just the old systems that now have UI indicators.
That said, he should make the UI scalable (or maybe is it? I can't remember), it's a bit too busy for my tastes.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Revita

goferchan posted:

You gave shields to the goddess statues that appeared in the icy caverns. To spoil you on how to access the other alt-zone, you want to shoot the beehives in the first zone. One will be in a secret eoom

Thank you for the tips! The following marks what I have gathered on the rules of Secret Rooms.

I think:
- They can only spawn if there are no adjacent other rooms
- Sometimes the tell is that the music fades out near a room, and you can shoot the corresponding wall before combat ends to trigger it. As far as I can tell, there are no secret rooms that can be triggered outside of combat
- These lead to like a "normal" pick up, not a relic
- There's at least a second type of secret room, which I only found once, because I was running a sniper shoots one bullet which ricochets into multiple bullets which explode run so I was just smashing all corners constantly, but I'm not sure what the tell is for this room, but it exploded next to my character so it definitely wasn't music fading out if I remember correctly. It also contained a chest, so I guess it was like a higher rarity secret room?

Artelier fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 24, 2023

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Arbetor posted:

Played a bit, 3 runs, beat the first boss. It is what it says on the tin: Roguelite Hotline Miami-like with a health bar and a slow-mo power. You start each run able to choose one buff for free, things like tighter shotgun spread, longer combo time, killing enemies refilling your focus bar. You earn currency by killing enemies, with fast kills building a combo that earns you more. You can spend the currency on buying more buffs every few levels, or dump it into unlocking new buffs. I haven't seen all the meta-progression and unlocks let, but the gameplay is pretty fun.

My only complaint is the balance feels odd. Maybe its too much Hotline Miami, but you have too much health and it refills completely every room. And focus doesn't rebuild fast enough/last long enough. I think I would prefer having half the health but better slow-mo powers. Its still a lot of fun, though. Minor complaint: no friendly fire for enemies. Had two enemies stack up on a door, I rolled out between them and one fired a shotgun at me, which passed harmlessly through his buddy. Very disappointing.

Alright, cheers. Might grab it to support the devs, but it sounds like it needs a balance pass or two.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Black Griffon posted:

Alright, cheers. Might grab it to support the devs, but it sounds like it needs a balance pass or two.

After playing another round last night (to double check the full heal thing) and then sleeping on it, I think it might actually be that I need to change how I approach the game. Lots of health, full heals, and the combo system really incentivize a very fast paced style that feels reckless compared to other games in the genre that trend towards rocket tag. The first time through, I couldn't buy an upgrade at the first stop, the second I could, and the quick run at the end where I blitzed the level (and took some damage deliberately) was definitely the smoothest. Haven't gotten deep into the second section, so maybe something will change later.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Snooze Cruise posted:

green man is your free evade one hit per room, potions are your healing flasks, skull and crossbones lets you know that you don't have any death defies left and you will actually die die if you hit 0 hp again

e: oh forgot miss the cross... i think that is curse nullification? that is the only one i am not sure i am correctly remembering

The cross means you have a revive remaining. The skull means you have a Defy Death remaining.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Artelier posted:

Revita

Thank you for the tips! The following marks what I have gathered on the rules of Secret Rooms.

I think:
- They can only spawn if there are no adjacent other rooms
- Sometimes the tell is that the music fades out near a room, and you can shoot the corresponding wall before combat ends to trigger it. As far as I can tell, there are no secret rooms that can be triggered while combat is happening
- These lead to like a "normal" pick up, not a relic
- There's at least a second type of secret room, which I only found once, because I was running a sniper shoots one bullet which ricochets into multiple bullets which explode run so I was just smashing all corners constantly, but I'm not sure what the tell is for this room, but it exploded next to my character so it definitely wasn't music fading out if I remember correctly. It also contained a chest, so I guess it was like a higher rarity secret room?

Hard to ask without potentially spoiling something, but in point two is there a typo? Your two statements are contradictory.

The ones that glow and fade the music are normal secret rooms and the other kind are super secret rooms (or at least referred to as such, because Isaac), but I don't know if there's any meaningful differentiation between them. I think they pull from the exact same pool of possibilities and you just got lucky with that one super secret.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

John Murdoch posted:

Hard to ask without potentially spoiling something, but in point two is there a typo? Your two statements are contradictory.

The ones that glow and fade the music are normal secret rooms and the other kind are super secret rooms (or at least referred to as such, because Isaac), but I don't know if there's any meaningful differentiation between them. I think they pull from the exact same pool of possibilities and you just got lucky with that one super secret.

Thanks, went back and fixed it, but I meant that Secret Rooms can only be "found" while combat is happening right? I tried searching for the music fadeout rooms and they never seemed to spawn outside of combat. Also, I think all the secret rooms must be adjacent to a floor tile, none that I have found have been like the middle of the wall or something like that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SKULL.GIF posted:

The cross means you have a revive remaining. The skull means you have a Defy Death remaining.
I think the skull actually means "next death is final" because I distinctly remember defiance from potions and talents being dark blue circles after the cross (which as stated is for the Blessings revive)

a little redundant IMO but no harm being explicit I suppose

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Artelier posted:

Thanks, went back and fixed it, but I meant that Secret Rooms can only be "found" while combat is happening right? I tried searching for the music fadeout rooms and they never seemed to spawn outside of combat. Also, I think all the secret rooms must be adjacent to a floor tile, none that I have found have been like the middle of the wall or something like that.

Yeah, you've got the right idea on both counts. You're also correct re: what rooms they can spawn off of and that there's a tell for super secret ones to puzzle out.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Arbetor posted:

After playing another round last night (to double check the full heal thing) and then sleeping on it, I think it might actually be that I need to change how I approach the game. Lots of health, full heals, and the combo system really incentivize a very fast paced style that feels reckless compared to other games in the genre that trend towards rocket tag. The first time through, I couldn't buy an upgrade at the first stop, the second I could, and the quick run at the end where I blitzed the level (and took some damage deliberately) was definitely the smoothest. Haven't gotten deep into the second section, so maybe something will change later.

Got it. So you can essentially play it slow and safe if you want to, but for the "real" experience you gotta play in a way where you're way more fragile? I guess having options is a good thing in terms of accessibility.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Anyone playing Revita on a Deck? I feel like I'm always wrestling with the controls. Needing to use the right stick to aim when not moving takes away easy access to jump/dash and it feels like there must be a better way.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Shattered Pixel Dungeon is up on itch, for free.

https://shattered-pixel.itch.io/shattered-pixel-dungeon

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
Kudos to whoever brought up Warriors of the Nile earlier. Picked it up on sale and spent my night trying to beat act 3.

It has that fun "build an engine and watch it steamroll" feel that I enjoy with these kinds of games. The Star Mage has some really nasty combos that were super satisfying.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It’s a good game, yeah. I got a win after a couple of runs by stacking All The Damage on the hunter and letting her just vaporize everything. Came this close to losing on the Act 3 boss - the hunter and star mage both went down and the scythe guy managed to barely kill the boss on the last possible turn before his healing put him permanently out of reach.

I’m not a big fan of that snowbally style of balancing - it always feels like it makes 90% of the game pointless because The Combo is so good that everything else is a rounding error, which means any investment in anything other than making The Combo better is a waste - but it’s charming enough that I’ll forgive it.

megane fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 25, 2023

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Sloppy posted:

Anyone playing Revita on a Deck? I feel like I'm always wrestling with the controls. Needing to use the right stick to aim when not moving takes away easy access to jump/dash and it feels like there must be a better way.

I use the top rated controller config (can't recall the name) that maps a bunch of stuff to the back paddles, it took a bit to get used to but it actually works really well imo

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Gamera has a sizzle anniversary reel going on their YT, but within that was an update plan that sees it having Warriors of the Nile 2 continue to devour the best bits of the first game and ramp up the sequel even more, as per this recent patch that slipped by:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1682060/view/3687927619407782517

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Do we have a Rift Wizard thread? I'm getting back into it but I've only had like 3-4 successful builds; Icicle spam, Death Bolt & Cleave, Poison r Us, and GhostFire. Been trying to do pure lightning/fire/summoning stuff, but they tend to fall over for one reason or another.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Due to lack of responses I see the thread is sleeping on Mr. Suns Hatbox. Give the game a shot, its amazingly fun and doesn't overstay its welcome.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

Do we have a Rift Wizard thread? I'm getting back into it but I've only had like 3-4 successful builds; Icicle spam, Death Bolt & Cleave, Poison r Us, and GhostFire. Been trying to do pure lightning/fire/summoning stuff, but they tend to fall over for one reason or another.

I don't think there's a dedicated thread outside of this.

Personally I found the most helpful tip is to not get too married to your wombo combo. Picking up a couple cheap efficient spells (most of the level 2 sorceries are amazing if you pick them up for 1 point at a circle) to help stretch your ammo and give you alternate ways of dealing things that your main gimmick struggles with is generally a lot cheaper than trying to make your big combo efficient and flexible enough to deal with everything without burning through potions. Some people make it a point of pride to just take one spell and throw everything into supporting skills but this both makes the game harder and, to me, much more boring.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

FrickenMoron posted:

Due to lack of responses I see the thread is sleeping on Mr. Suns Hatbox. Give the game a shot, its amazingly fun and doesn't overstay its welcome.

It looks pretty cool, I have wishlisted it, but I already have bought wayyyy too many games.

By the way, Dungeon Drafters is releasing in two days :negative:

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Sloppy posted:

I have jump and dash on l2/r2 and other stuff mapped to the back buttons. And the setting on to auto fire when aiming so I don't need to put a button for shooting. My thumbs never leave the sticks and my index fingers don't even have to leave l2/r2 for l1/r1 much. This is how I set up all twin stick games and why the deck rules because those 4 extra buttons can be pretty crucial.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

megane posted:

It’s a good game, yeah. I got a win after a couple of runs by stacking All The Damage on the hunter and letting her just vaporize everything. Came this close to losing on the Act 3 boss - the hunter and star mage both went down and the scythe guy managed to barely kill the boss on the last possible turn before his healing put him permanently out of reach.

I’m not a big fan of that snowbally style of balancing - it always feels like it makes 90% of the game pointless because The Combo is so good that everything else is a rounding error, which means any investment in anything other than making The Combo better is a waste - but it’s charming enough that I’ll forgive it.
Been playing some Warriors of the Nile 2 as well because of this thread, and yeah it seems really snowbally so far. Won on my third run by just summoning beetles everywhere with the priestess character which was fun but made it rather easy. The only close call I had was because I accidentally ended a stage without any energy on her, which made the next one a bit trickier since I put most of my tablets on her.

But then again there's a bazillion difficulty modifiers apparently so maybe that makes things more interesting.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Is there any point to getting the first Warriors of the Nile instead of just skipping straight to WotN 2? Sales notwithstanding.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
no

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Apparently in WotN 2 the act 4 is pretty recent, but I think it's pretty essential. There are a lot of things that seem too strong in act 3 that suddenly start having trouble in act 4. The beetle princess for example drops off quite a bit.

I think the game is snowbally because there are so many "on kill" benefits. The energy system, abilities (halo hunter, star mage, ...) and a lot of tablets/items. As such a warrior that deals 40 dmg can consistently kill an enemy in act 3 and feel godly, but suddenly really struggle in act 4 when that's no longer sufficient. So even when I'm having a really easy time in act 3 I still have to prepare myself for act 4.

Never played the first game, but they just added the archer from that game in the sequel, and she's by far the most boring character. So I'd also advise going for the sequel immediately.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I also hopped on the WotN 2 train recently and been really loving it. Always been a fan of srpg stuff but Last Spell was just too slow. Really nice to have something faster pace that gives me my tactics fix in a run base structure.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I've only played the new Hunter they just added in WOTN2 twice, but both times I got a piece of gear or ability that let me target the entire map and kill everything on the first turn in act 3. They seem pretty strong!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FrickenMoron posted:

Gave it a try. I'm distinctly reminded of Streets of Rogue crossed with XCOM and Rogue Legacy, if that makes sense.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I been playing Mr. Hat Box. I do like it but its not one I really see myself discussing with others because its just very toyboxish in a similar way to Noita but like without the weirdness. Its cute tho.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hatbox has very strong early 2010s kongregate game energy and I love it for that

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Walh Hara posted:

Apparently in WotN 2 the act 4 is pretty recent, but I think it's pretty essential. There are a lot of things that seem too strong in act 3 that suddenly start having trouble in act 4. The beetle princess for example drops off quite a bit.
Was about to ask how you unlock act 4 but I see that the final recruitment building does so.

... Not only that but the characters you unlock actually have different mechanics; I thought they'd just be cosmetic options. Man this game has a lot of stuff in it.

Also I like that catapults and ballistas are considered magicians :science:

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Looking for a recommendation for a switch roguelike. Most recently finished Inscryption, which I adored. Afterwards, I bought Griftlands, thinking I’d like another deckbuilder. Boy was I wrong. Not sure why, but it just misses everything for me. There’s not enough strategy involved somehow, and the game is trying too hard to be grimdark. I think I’m looking for something happier or prettier right now. Other roguelikes I loved: Dicey Dungeons, Hades, Binding of Issac (though I played before rebirth), Into the Breach, Crypt of the Necrodancer, FTL, Duskers. Other roguelikes I at least enjoyed: Rogue Legacy, Slay the spire, Steamworld Heist. Price not an issue, a few bonus points if I can get a physical copy for a reasonable price, but not a huge deal.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Domus posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a switch roguelike. Most recently finished Inscryption, which I adored. Afterwards, I bought Griftlands, thinking I’d like another deckbuilder. Boy was I wrong. Not sure why, but it just misses everything for me. There’s not enough strategy involved somehow, and the game is trying too hard to be grimdark. I think I’m looking for something happier or prettier right now. Other roguelikes I loved: Dicey Dungeons, Hades, Binding of Issac (though I played before rebirth), Into the Breach, Crypt of the Necrodancer, FTL, Duskers. Other roguelikes I at least enjoyed: Rogue Legacy, Slay the spire, Steamworld Heist. Price not an issue, a few bonus points if I can get a physical copy for a reasonable price, but not a huge deal.

Tangledeep is 20 bucks, goon-made, and is happy and pretty.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Hatbox is procgen slapstick MGS V except it's a platformer about hats. It's incredibly stupid and I enjoy it. I would also argue that it's not a roguelike but whatever.

SavageMessiah fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Tangledeep is 20 bucks, goon-made, and is happy and pretty.

Seconded. Excellent game. There's also Shiren 5 as well.