Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Fell Mood posted:

I disagree with the idea that an opposing voice has merit simply because it is in opposition, with no regard to logic or common sense. If everyone in the thread is agreeing that 2+2=4, I wouldn't say that someone saying 2+2=5 is a good thing that breaks up the "circle jerk", and the idea that Russia went to war in Ukraine for reasons similar to US imperialism is bizarrely wrong.

there are in fact cases where 2 + 2 = 5, depending on the number of significant figures you are using

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Punisher Skull? You bet.
Totenkopf on your flag? Yep.
Time to post this officially!
——
Mlmp8 is not “good” per se , but since they are a pedantic crank dedicated to arguing in Ukraine threads across the forums I must support their right to come in here and make dumb posts.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

OctaMurk posted:

there are in fact cases where 2 + 2 = 5, depending on the number of significant figures you are using

No there aren't

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mlmp08 is annoying and sucks, so he's right at home itt

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
i'm surprised they actually decided to painnt the bradleys in digital camo before handing them over, instead of just painting them green or leaving them in tan

looks cool. but then gets covered in netting anyways

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
mlmp is fine and its good that this thread isn't a total echo chamber like the GBS thread.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

good news everyone

https://twitter.com/pravda_eng/status/1650711233119629314

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

i'm surprised they actually decided to painnt the bradleys in digital camo before handing them over, instead of just painting them green or leaving them in tan

How is the bullshit even supposed to work didn't the principle get debunked completely

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Bring back razzle dazzle camo

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

now where are the balkenkreuz and nazi runes indigenous ukrainian pagan symbols

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Slavvy posted:

How is the bullshit even supposed to work didn't the principle get debunked completely

Eh its really really common. Maybe you are thinking of UCP which made you universally findable because of the poor color choices, but CADPAT and MARPAT seem to do fine in their intended environments. Russia and China also have plenty of digital camo too, and it serves more purposes than just hiding you. E.g. identifying you to your allies. And it looks Cool and futuristic so the soldiers can feel like badasses in the best their country can offer. and maybe easy to print, and probably does as fine a job just breaking up your outline as "regular" camo.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

yellowcar posted:

now where are the balkenkreuz and nazi runes indigenous ukrainian pagan symbols

Armored vehicles just get the iron cross usually.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
gently caress square camo patterns where are my hexagonal camo patterns?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Slavvy posted:

tank looks like a computer

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

CongoJack posted:

gently caress square camo patterns where are my hexagonal camo patterns?

KRYPTEK has got u friend. they are hosed up hexagons tho

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
was digital camo ever found to be actually good? I've only ever criticism of it that "nature doesn't look like that" or something similar, which intuitively means it's really effective at camouflaging people, but I don't know if that's simply a knee-jerk, "common sense" reaction

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

America has troops in Europe. The ruling class will side with the US to the detriment of their citizens.

Swedish state broadcaster has been going crazy about identifying spying operations, posting their own "investigations" about Chinese owned companies insinuating they share technologies with china, eventually turning over lists to security police and them going "hmm yes troubling indeed". Like the article was insinuating the leadership of loving Volvo was in cahoots and responding to some insidious party member indoctrination board, with the whole thing being that Chinese national security law that brought the Alibaba group into compliance with regulations. But because it uses language that can be translated insidiously it means The Party has agents everywhere and you cannot tell apart private and government ownership etc etc. It'd be hilarious in its deragement if it wasn't so maddening.

The point is that the leadership at SVT is all upperclass with a literal married-into nobility editor reporting to SÄPO in which the top brass is literal married-into nobility.

They did the same with a suspected Russian spy list which i assume is just a printed list of employees at the embassy which has always been 20/80 diplomats/"diplomats".

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

12 Twelve Twelved
Dec 13, 2012

dk2m posted:

it’s honestly embarrassing. whatever hope I used to have for western leftism, especially after covid suddenly showed labor the power it has and it was immediately squashed by the financial class by raising unemployment, has completely evaporated. we’d rather have pointless street battles with each other over the same wedge issues rather than truly changing the power structure. anyway, this isn’t about ukraine anymore and me just being resigned by the bullshit, so I’ll stop

It’s not that the willpower isn't there.

I met plenty of good people fighting in the streets during the cool times, but it’s all incredibly dangerous. Specially to organize anything meaningful. The people best suited to do the organizing also have the most to lose. That nazis are more openly accepted in the society tells you how hostile an environment it is.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Digital camouflage looks cooler than regular camouflage. And as we've discussed, that's the only thing anyone in the military making decisions cares about.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Bring back razzle dazzle camo

The best camo. And if IR becomes as widespread as everyone wants razzle dazzle will be the only camo that matters.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Slava MLMPia

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I called Kagan and asked him why he sees the Ukraine war not as something that we’ve stumbled into but rather the natural extension of this century-long arc of U.S. foreign policy that he’s been writing about. Kagan’s answers will comfort some and discomfort others, but it is important to have this discussion

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NEETWorldOrder/status/1650283780316229640?t=gOMFMPSPPkePAY9w0qGnxA&s=19

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
MR. SULLIVAN: Well, first, Russia has done what it frequently does when it is responsible for something, which is make accusations that it was really someone else who did it. We’ve seen this repeatedly over time.

:ironicat:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I demand that western diplomats stop wearing modern business suits and start wearing only period costumes from the 17th and 18th century as worn by the French and other EU nobility of old. No long neckties, just hand fans to cover their mouths and titter behind.

Powdered wigs are optional but encouraged.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

more good news everyone

https://twitter.com/TradersAbacus/status/1650661840282591234

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I don't know why a nuclear strike would happen anyway just because some rump state Ukranians on holiday enter crimea on tourist visas. Seems like a perfectly routine thing to happen.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

octocamo from Metal Gear but for a huge fuckin tank

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No firebombing strike will happen after Wehrmacht enters London

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

dk2m posted:

I’ll be the first one to admit that Russia is a lovely, hollowed out, neoliberal state that is run by a comically corrupt type of kleptocracy. they got hosed so hard in the 90s that they still haven’t recovered. the problem is, because they haven’t recovered, it’s still causing problems.

once the collapse happened, minority, ethnic Russians suddenly found themselves living in countries that had nationalist and secessionist sentiments. Georgia didn’t recognize the South Ossetians autonomy, Ukrainan nationalists and the people in Donbass boiled over, regional conflicts broke out in Armenia and Azerbaijan, Tranistria believed themselves to be autonomous, the waterways of the Fergana valley have caused conflict between Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan, the baltics became owned by neoliberals which drove vast people out of the country as immigrants, and the quality of life in nearly all post-Soviet countries, especially in places like Moldova, have led boomers to lament on the days of communism.

the complete paradox is that by Russia finally getting sanction, they for the first time have the reset they needed since the wall fell. it’s 30 years later, and now the stakes are extremely high, but all we’ve done is actually strengthen them. keeping a strangled peace going by freezing the conflict would have hurt Russia much longer in the long term, but by overtly rearming and “buying time” for Ukraine, atleast if that’s what Minsk truly was, is giving Russia the tools it needs to actually become imperialist by reorganizing their society to become used to the benefits of a war economy

It's a paradox that you made up in your head.

Reorganizing their society to become used to the benefits of a war economy? Are you loving kidding me? They've hollowed out the most productive generation of their population to either the draft or the dodging/fleeing of said draft, lost so much of their military assets that they're bringing out rusted equipment out of storage from WWII, and are having to basically beg China for assistance in everything, and you think this has somehow strengthened them?

Your argument might hold weight when applied to a country like China, e.g. preventing China from acquiring advanced microchips might — might — result in them developing their own domestic capabilities that might one day rival those of the West. But Russia is not China. As you yourself noted, even before it invaded Ukraine, Russia was a lovely state run by a corrupt kleptocracy. Regardless of what happens to Ukraine, this war has all but guaranteed their demise as a country.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Reorganizing their society to become used to the benefits of a war economy? Are you loving kidding me? They've hollowed out the most productive generation of their population to either the draft or the dodging/fleeing of said draft, lost so much of their military assets that they're bringing out rusted equipment out of storage from WWII, and are having to basically beg China for assistance in everything, and you think this has somehow strengthened them?

Your argument might hold weight when applied to a country like China, e.g. preventing China from acquiring advanced microchips might — might — result in them developing their own domestic capabilities that might one day rival those of the West. But Russia is not China. As you yourself noted, even before it invaded Ukraine, Russia was a lovely state run by a corrupt kleptocracy. Regardless of what happens to Ukraine, this war has all but guaranteed their demise as a country.

:gb2gbs:

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i wish losing the Iraq and afghan war led to the US's demise

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Feel free to explain how exactly this war is strengthening Russia, Comrade Koba.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Feel free to explain how exactly this war is strengthening Russia, Comrade Koba.

not op, but my read on it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao whoo boy haven't had one of these in a while

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

is this the famous cope that the kids these days are always talking about?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Lmao whoo boy haven't had one of these in a while

thorns been around before

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Tbh I'm not sure if the first and second statements are contradictory

They're not contradictory, but they are both wrong. There's no sane understanding of "imperialism" that results in an understanding that Russia is similarly imperialist to the US. Even if you believe Russia was wrong to go to war (which is understandable, given the costs of the war), the contemporary history of the region is basically one that involves the US/NATO directly being hostile to Russia through countries like Ukraine (and in ways that involve propping up nazis, because those tend to be the most powerful groups that have been opposed the USSR/Russia in neighboring countries). Russia's own actions here aren't analogous to what the US has done in countries like, say, Iraq (which is a bizarre comparison I've seen on many occasions regarding this war).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cerebral Bore posted:

is this the famous cope that the kids these days are always talking about?

While many of you are saying "cope this" and "slava that", I'm yelling "go Thorn Wishes Talon and the rules based international order!"