Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

20. Lots of fast sweepers. Really nice road. The snowpack towers like 15 ft above you as you ride up but the roads were dry and warm.

There’s a point where you crest the elevation and the lake is just there below you and it’s really pretty. But then when you actually get to Tahoe it’s basically pigeon forge but expensive and hostile. I couldn’t get off the mountain fast enough

Tomorrow I’m eating a continental breakfast and riding the 395 until I hit lone pine and I’m hanging a left and riding past rainbow canyon then crashing at a boutique desert hotel. Gonna be cold af tomorrow morning and hope my battery is still good, the display blinked when I started up this morning and it has me concerned

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
First really nice day of spring today, all the bikers were out in force, everyone was waving and happy. I dadded out the SV650 with the panniers, took a joy ride, met a prospective buyer for the learner bike but didn't sell it (the guy was really tall and didn't like the ergos of the little Honda), took another joyride, picked up kiddo from a place, fitted her out with gear from the panniers, went grocery shopping, went home. She sat on the pillion singing in her helmet happy as could be, and so was I :shobon:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I took the kiddo fishing yesterday, we loaded up the goldwing with his fishing gear, and took off for a little pond we know of that's stocked to the brim with bluegill. He had a grand old time pulling fish after fish out of the water.

Some storm clouds rolled in, so we packed up and headed home in light rain. Neither of us really got wet behind the giant windshield, and overall it was a great afternoon.

To find dadbike nirvana, one must truly live this threads title :haibrower:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m in Death Valley. Had a nice snow to sun ride south today from Tahoe area. Death Valley itself has some nice technical roads but I was really tired by the time I rolled in and didn’t push it. Super pretty here

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

made it to vegas. wow I really hate vegas. I get three days of rest at least. then heading to LA. I wanted to stay at Roy's motel on the way there but it doesn't look like they're doing the motel part of it anymore. Also looked at my favorite hotel in palm springs but they're booked up because of some festival nonsense in the area. Might go in through antelope valley and come over the 2.

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 18, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Keep riding and updating, goon. I'm reading/following along

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Photo uploads on this app don’t really work for me any more but I’ll try to post more pix

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 18, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gorgeous bike and gorgeous view

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 18, 2023

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Gorgeous bike and gorgeous view
Absolutely seething with dad jealousy over here. Off to cycletrader to search for VFRs...

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'm picking up my KLX300 tomorrow and I've been trying to figure out which Cycle Asylum fits my vibe the most.

I think it''s this one.

God I'm so looking foward to getting some riding in this sprint; I have hundreds of miles of dirt within spitting distance; none of it is amazing, but it's certainly solid (New Jersey Pine Barrens). It's been too long since my KLR650 and I'm really, really looking forward to something a little more nimble and fun.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've got a KLX300R with about 80 hours on it now. That's the non-street legal off-road version. Very fun bike though I really only ride it in dunes or forest trails. It hits about 60 but I'm sure the street legal 300 has different ratios.
Does yours have 21/18 wheels?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Walked posted:

I'm picking up my KLX300 tomorrow and I've been trying to figure out which Cycle Asylum fits my vibe the most.

I think it''s this one.

God I'm so looking foward to getting some riding in this sprint; I have hundreds of miles of dirt within spitting distance; none of it is amazing, but it's certainly solid (New Jersey Pine Barrens). It's been too long since my KLR650 and I'm really, really looking forward to something a little more nimble and fun.

An oil tanker is more nimble and fun than a klr, you're gonna have your tweed socks rocked

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvys right, that KLX is gonna feel like a race bike compared to the KLR

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Slavvys right, that KLX is gonna feel like a race bike compared to the KLR

Exactly what I'm hoping for. The KLR650 NEVER felt "right" to me; just felt like an unwieldy boat and eventually decided it wasn't the right fit for me.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I did a thing.

2016 Honda vfr 800. only done 42500km/26k miles. sold cheap because of some dings here and there + mended tank that got over pressured in the sun due to a clogged pressure release valve by when owned by PPO.

It has been serviced, on semi fresh michelin road 6 tires. Only thing I need to deal with is some kinda soft sidebag stand off + gps/mobile phone mount.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That top box looks like someone strapped a shipping container to a fighter plane

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Yeah. not sure if that stays. a bit too "heli platform on an oil rig" look

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Got the KLX300 delivered and out ridden.

God drat it. I want a road bike too (again)
I did this same poo poo in the same order 15 years ago.

And I’m gonna do it again

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Nice looks like you got the deluxe model too, has all the bells and whistles

Slabbed it from vegas to downtown LA. There was a horrible cross wind the whole way and the grooved pavement made it sketch. Had to go slowish cause I was getting blown around so much. But I arrived safely at least. Bike needs a bath

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Supradog posted:

I did a thing.

Gorgeous, congrats. A VFR800 is on my bucket list

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I hate the fact that nearly all single sided swingarm bikes slap the exhaust directly over it so you can't see it

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Yea, the previous gen had a sweet dual under tail. The moved to this style to lower the center of gravity, I think

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I hate the fact that nearly all single sided swingarm bikes slap the exhaust directly over it so you can't see it

The two best ones (rc30, 916/996) do not

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Well just put a deposit on a Z650 to pair with the KLX300.

Forgot how much I enjoy riding. Because it's a lot.

i hope i can do them both dadbike justice; but as a father of 3 i am hopeful
And I know the Z650 is neither the sickest looking of the naked bikes in class, nor the fastest/most fun of them; but I've always like Kawasaki and I have a really great rapport with the dealer so no judgement please

Walked fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 21, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They are the second best looking bike in that category imo

They are also a thinly disguised ninja 650 which is seven feet of solid motorcycle without any real flaws

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Slavvy posted:

They are the second best looking bike in that category imo

I mostly agree; I like the Trident 660 a bit more visually (but value a close / solid dealership relationship more, frankly); and am a wash on a couple others, but I have heard a bunch of people give the Z650 flak over youngin-oriented styling :shrug:

But generally I dont care and it's a solid as gently caress bike for my need so

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nobody’s judging you for buying a good bike, friendo

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks for the positivity y’all; the Reddit negativity toward the 650 had me second guessing a bit later into the night

But then I realize I had my R1 phase and just want some poo poo to take into the rural roads around here and that’s all I need

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Reddit starts with R

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Time for a classic

https://youtu.be/DOqb_UzJSUQ

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Walked posted:

But then I realize I had my R1 phase and just want some poo poo to take into the rural roads around here and that’s all I need

This is very real. Here on the east coast. the roads are all such crap that having a liter sized sport bike really makes no sense. great at the track. useless outside of that except for looking cool at bike night.

all the “lesser” bikes are quite fun because you can hammer on them and enjoy riding them instead of daydreaming about getting the big bike to that one road thats good.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I've never really read on more touring oriented forums for like goldvings, and vfrs. What strikes me is the aftermarket size for a newish touring bike at least for models that gets sold in the US. Billet made lowered foot pegs galore, color correct bar risers, wind screens that block the world.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Boomers hold a disproportionate amount of the money in the motorcycling population

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

And they only thing they love more than farkling bikes is chrome

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

There’s an 05 goldwing that went for sale on humboldt Craigslist but they want 15k for it :-|. Low miles but still

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oof, you can buy early 2000's wings with 50K on them (which is just barely broken in) for $5-7k all day long

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Over halfway I think

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

First trip of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Yup, I want the oem hard side bags. Now the issue is actually finding them. If anyone have a lead on side panniers preferably in red for a 2016 vfr800f I’d really appreciate it. Afaik it’s the same design 2014-2020. Red and in Europe preferably.