Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I just used a bleed Katana and a Mimic lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
I picked up my BotW save again, last accessed in 8/2021. Wandered around Zora lands looking for the eight stone tablets I never found, still didn't find any.

I am so bad at this game, and I love every loving second of it. I'm a 2D Zelda diehard, because I missed the window for my brain to have developed native competence in 3D games by about three years. I find it confusing and chaotic trying to fight, and I don't think I've completed a single dungeon in any 3D Zelda games other than BotW. As you can imagine, Souls games are a hard and final no for me.

Also I feel like a huge idiot for only now spotting the mythical creature in the TotK logo and making a connection about what it means for the plot and timeline...I'm now liking a certain theory that has been lightly bandied about here: Ouroborous in the logo, suggesting that TotK's story will wind up leading into Skyward Sword - the first game in the timeline - via time-travel shenanigans, thus closing the Zelda timeline into a loop.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gwely Mernans posted:

I mean, the Souls games are basically grimdark Zelda with combat emphasis and a more obtuse story

I’m struggling to find any common ground between the games besides “you use a sword sometimes and fight monsters, and it’s a fantasy setting”

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I think of souls enemies as basically the combat version of Zelda puzzles.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

While enemy variety is better then BoTW, I can't help but point out how the Haligtree, the end game super dungeon, is made up of 99% enemies you fought already. Including the minibosses, high end guards, and even the same zombie soldiers that you have been fighting since literally the start of the game, that even fight the exact same way (only now they blow up when you kill them)(and also heavily resist Holy because gently caress YOU if you dared make a FTH build in that game)

You stop encountering new enemies like 75% of the way through the game. Can you name a single game that does a better job of pacing the way it doles out new content?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

CK07 posted:

I picked up my BotW save again, last accessed in 8/2021. Wandered around Zora lands looking for the eight stone tablets I never found, still didn't find any.

I am so bad at this game, and I love every loving second of it. I'm a 2D Zelda diehard, because I missed the window for my brain to have developed native competence in 3D games by about three years. I find it confusing and chaotic trying to fight, and I don't think I've completed a single dungeon in any 3D Zelda games other than BotW. As you can imagine, Souls games are a hard and final no for me.

Also I feel like a huge idiot for only now spotting the mythical creature in the TotK logo and making a connection about what it means for the plot and timeline...I'm now liking a certain theory that has been lightly bandied about here: Ouroborous in the logo, suggesting that TotK's story will wind up leading into Skyward Sword - the first game in the timeline - via time-travel shenanigans, thus closing the Zelda timeline into a loop.

I hope it doesn't, because that means that everything that happens going forward now takes place between these two points. It makes the universe feel closed in.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Shiroc posted:

Its time for Link to say 'gently caress'

I'll pay extra for this. Like, not adding actual dialogue for him, just peppering that in as the one occasional legible word when he's taking damage and stuff.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I hope it doesn't, because that means that everything that happens going forward now takes place between these two points. It makes the universe feel closed in.

It doesn't have to if they introduce more new timeline splits. Look forward to the timeline debates if that happens.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Clockwork Link is inevitable, gonna have goggles and some gears sewn into his cap

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'll pay extra for this. Like, not adding actual dialogue for him, just peppering that in as the one occasional legible word when he's taking damage and stuff.

Dead Space 2 stomping style. When Link does a flurry rush its just all "gently caress YOU loving gently caress"

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

MokBa posted:

Zelda and Souls also have the thing in common where they're my two favorite video game series.

But seriously, no one has successfully made a Zelda clone. Or a Souls clone. It can't be done.

I can argue against that partially with tunic, which frankly felt like trying to decipher zelda 1 from scratch with a half translated japanese manual. Would highly reccomend if you enjoy the puzzles and exploration in zelda.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Darksiders 1 is a pretty good Zelda clone, with a bit of God of war thrown in. Only the 1st though, 2 is more of an action RPG and 3 takes heavy influence from Dark souls

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

There would still be 10,000 years to fill, minimum. That seems like plenty of space to me, even if they don't go all timeline-weird, or dimension-weird, or something. Which, c'mon, of course they would. But if that's how you feel, that's how you feel.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Shiroc posted:

Its time for Link to say 'gently caress'

Link sitting at a table cutting beer cans into little figurines with a small folding Master Knife: “Time… is a flat fuckin’ circle. Hyaa!”

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

CK07 posted:

There would still be 10,000 years to fill, minimum. That seems like plenty of space to me, even if they don't go all timeline-weird, or dimension-weird, or something. Which, c'mon, of course they would. But if that's how you feel, that's how you feel.

But wherever you are in that period/alternate timeline, it would still always be leading to that endpoint. If it's all just a cycle, then nothing Link does ever really matters, it's just endless bloodshed, forever and ever.

I like that in souls, it fits the theme. In Zelda it would feel weird

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
With Ganondorf returning for the first time in years, I wonder if a humanoid Ganon will also return.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

I want a 3D mainline next-gen Zelda to have Ganon Classic, the fat blue pig king with the tridents.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

MokBa posted:

Zelda and Souls also have the thing in common where they're my two favorite video game series.

But seriously, no one has successfully made a Zelda clone. Or a Souls clone. It can't be done.

play Ittle Dew

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

MokBa posted:

But seriously, no one has successfully made a Zelda clone.

Darksiders

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

I really like Tunic, it's a really, really clever way to update the concept of a Zelda puzzle. Wish its story made sense and was good, though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Anyone tried Blossom Tales 2? I'm hoping they fixed the dungeons being way too long.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
With how popular of a feature it was in BotW Hero’s path has gotta be in TotK right? Though with the map being more vertical it might not work as well

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

RatHat posted:

With how popular of a feature it was in BotW Hero’s path has gotta be in TotK right? Though with the map being more vertical it might not work as well

If they use one color for ground level and another for the sky areas, it should be fine.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

RatHat posted:

Layered? Green for ground, blue for sky, yellow for underground?

Efb

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Depends on how they do the separation between surface and underground I guess. They could just use the whole spectrum: deepest underground is maximum violet, turns blue and then green as you ascend, hits yellow right around z=0, turns orange and then red as you gain height. You would learn to read it. Might get confusing though if there are sky islands lower than some mountains or underground areas inside mountains so you’re underground but still at positive z.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

MokBa posted:

souls is a zelda clone tho. lock on, roll, strafe, block, attack etc. magic spells and magic meter. levels are mildly metroid like, where you open paths to where you've already been, defeat boss at the end. drink from a bottle to heal, gain bottles as you go. etc etc

edit: illusory walls, a two handed sword that means no shield, mean spirited things e.g. like likes stealing your shield. skeleton enemies that rebuild themselves. its really all there

Antonymous fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 25, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

Depends on how they do the separation between surface and underground I guess. They could just use the whole spectrum: deepest underground is maximum violet, turns blue and then green as you ascend, hits yellow right around z=0, turns orange and then red as you gain height. You would learn to read it. Might get confusing though if there are sky islands lower than some mountains or underground areas inside mountains so you’re underground but still at positive z.

Yeah, that's too complicated. They want it readable by children.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Comedy option : the map is redone in the 3D wireframe style used for the divine beasts and the castle in BotW.

It would make sense for the sky islands where a flat map would get confusing if there's one island above another.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

They'll just have a button that switches between overlays of the three levels, assuming they bother.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

you're right. ALTTP, OOT, WW, MC, SS and BOTW all took place at what was the extreme end of the timeline when they came out. Most of them vying to be the earliest story in the timeline, or wind waker kinda the end of a new timeline. And they are basically the complete list of iconic zelda games

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, you're probably right.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I wonder if its the same ganondorf in totk as the one in oot who died in wind waker and twilight princess.

in wind waker you see the sages from the N64 games up on the wall so it necessitates that game is part of the same universe. but there's nothing in BotW that requires the other games to be literally what happened before except the master sword looks the same and some referential locations which is more minor

but ganondorf is major

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Mister Facetious posted:

They'll just have a button that switches between overlays of the three levels, assuming they bother.

That's what I actually expect but hey, they pointedly avoided showing the menus during the gameplay demo so a man can dream, right?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://youtu.be/kchmXDGDAWk

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:eyepop:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm still suspicious that the gameplay demo was on a dev build and the final game won't have coordinates, but the numbers being gracefully curved along the map is an argument against that suspicion.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I didn’t really fully sink my teeth into the game on my first run (didn’t even finish), but the thing that’s impressing me more and more is how many events and side quests there are to do. Like gently caress, they really could have just not put in, say, a side quest where you build an entire town after buying a house. Or had the sequence for the ice dragon just be shooting a stationary dragon’s creepy eye tumors off. And a horse that’s just randomly the descendant of Zelda’s flashback horse. Or poo poo, even the Korok seeds that are more involved than lifting/throwing a rock. Etc. and people would have still said this game had a crazy amount to do/see.

This is a game i understand why people have issues with, and some people would (probably rightfully) argue that a lot of those quests are just superfluous fluff when you can just make 300 rupees by hunting for five minutes, but it’s just a great vibe. Can’t wait to finish exploring and kill Calamity Ganon in like thirty seconds while taking no damage the whole time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

I'm still suspicious that the gameplay demo was on a dev build and the final game won't have coordinates, but the numbers being gracefully curved along the map is an argument against that suspicion.

Kids understand xyz coordinates these days thanks to Minecraft

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Antonymous posted:

I wonder if its the same ganondorf in totk as the one in oot who died in wind waker and twilight princess.

in wind waker you see the sages from the N64 games up on the wall so it necessitates that game is part of the same universe. but there's nothing in BotW that requires the other games to be literally what happened before except the master sword looks the same and some referential locations which is more minor

but ganondorf is major

TP Dorf and WW Dorf are two different timelines in the Historia, but the really all we got is the Gerudo distantly have heard he was one of them and that they're offended by the suggestion. All else is buried by Operation Dorf Down being 10k years ago, a stretch of time similar between now and the invention of agriculture. Maybe instead of Zelda/Champion memories we can ideally have an album of places to go to hear Ganondorf read transcripts of his autobiography instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Got my time off request approved, can't wait to spend 4 days just digging in. Time to stock up on Gatorade and adult diapers.