Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
"Wizards hire Pinkertons to harass a guy who got a shipment of magic cards" is wild as hell for 2023, but a hell of a hook for a game taking place in 1923.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

dwarf74 posted:

Goddamn.

"WotC sics the loving Pinkertons on someone" is not a box I had on my 2023 bingo card.

Lynx Winters posted:

"Wizards hire Pinkertons to harass a guy who got a shipment of magic cards" is wild as hell for 2023, but a hell of a hook for a game taking place in 1923.

This, but also :psyboom:
And also,

Liquid Communism posted:

Again, if he bought the cards and the seller hosed up and sent them early, he would be entirely in his rights to tell WotC to go pound sand, and have the cops come around with a warrant if they think it was stolen property.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I for one would simply not like to invite the opportunity to get shot by the police over some loving magic cards lol.

maybe it's just me lol.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Dexo posted:

I for one would simply not like to invite the opportunity to get shot by the police over some loving magic cards lol.

I sincerely wonder whether you'd be better off in the hands of unaccountable capitalist thugs with a history of violence wrapped in a public perception of self-important deification or the Pinkertons.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Magnetic North posted:

I sincerely wonder whether you'd be better off in the hands of unaccountable capitalist thugs with a history of violence wrapped in a public perception of self-important deification or the Pinkertons.

Depends on how dark your skin is.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

LatwPIAT posted:

If “some guy” is selling 22 boxes of unreleased MTG when not even into MTG, they’re probably some kind of retailer.

WotC I believe seldom send out their MTG boxes to retailers more than about a week in advance of release. This is about three weeks in advance of release - meaning that it's not normal some case of the retailer breaking the street date. This is "someone stole a case of unreleased MTG from the printer or the warehouse". Especially if it's from "a buddy". We're at the very least close to federal crime territory here by the Youtuber. (Receipt of Stolen Goods has a $5000 minimum - if a box of MTG cards has a value of $250 then we are; he received stolen goods, definitely inter-state commerce involved, and the knowingly or willfully question is wide open).

I've two questions here because not being an American I genuinely do not know the cultural context. The first is are the Pinkertons genuinely considered worse than involving the American police? I mean I know which one I'd be more afraid of. The second is if we assume that what WotC is after was the root thief and they needed outside help to find them who should they have hired.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The "Pinkertons" are essentially just corpo jackboots as a part of the US part of Securitas AB security.

I'd almost assuredly rather deal with them, as they are a touch more accountable for their actions when like showing up at your house and asking for something/information.

They have slightly less latitude to escalate things to shots fired on someone else's property.

It's all marginal though.

They both loving suck.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's not that the Pinkerton are worse than normal police; it's that they have a history as a private law enforcement organization particularly against unions. The whole incident would be only slightly less scandalized if it wasn't one of the oldest brand name private security groups involved.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

neonchameleon posted:

I've two questions here because not being an American I genuinely do not know the cultural context. The first is are the Pinkertons genuinely considered worse than involving the American police?

The Pinkertons date back to the 19th century as the union-busting private security force in the United States. The reaction is so visceral because of their infamy - it's not just any firm, but specifically a name that anyone with a mild familiarity with American labor or police history would recognize. It's "bad enough" that WOTC took this step, but for them to also utilize such an outstandingly unsavory company heightens the distastefulness of the incident.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

yeah it's just great for headlines, because lol literally sending in the Pinkertons, but yeah plenty of companies do the exact same thing the pinkertons do nowadays.

I'm legitimately shocked they didn't bother to change their name when they merged with Securitas, but also I guess it's not the worst reputation to have if your company's job is breaking unions and dealing with corporate risk and security.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dexo posted:

yeah it's just great for headlines, because lol literally sending in the Pinkertons, but yeah plenty of companies do the exact same thing the pinkertons do nowadays.

I'm legitimately shocked they didn't bother to change their name when they merged with Securitas, but also I guess it's not the worst reputation to have if your company's job is breaking unions and dealing with corporate risk and security.

Iirc, it was an acquisition, not a merger but also yeah, it's in their interest to retain the name and branding as a corporate security firm.

Hasbro likely has Securitas services in retainer and the brand Securitas probably like to use for their rent-a-cops is Pinkerton

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Pinkertons date back to the 19th century as the union-busting private security force in the United States. The reaction is so visceral because of their infamy - it's not just any firm, but specifically a name that anyone with a mild familiarity with American labor or police history would recognize. It's "bad enough" that WOTC took this step, but for them to also utilize such an outstandingly unsavory company heightens the distastefulness of the incident.

...and to clarify, "union busting" meant having their men infiltrate the union and find out who the leaders were, then sending a gang of thugs to their houses and beating them so badly they could never work again. They're almost exactly like the 'security firms' in the cyberpunk genre who are private armies for corporations.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I used to flip Harry Potter books/Pokemon cards/MTG cards before they were released, and it's literally this easy:

Work at Walmart/Big Box Store/Wherever

Ask the sixty-year old night shift manager who has never heard of anything vaguely related to nerd culture to buy something. Buy new [nerd item] a few weeks/days early. Sell [item] to nerds but keep it relatively quiet.

So, assuming the guy is telling the truth (which I am), it's something like that, only without doing it deliberately. Guy asks the store for MTG boxes, someone who gives zero fucks about MTG hands them to him, he cashes out and goes home, finds he has the wrong boxes. We might get more information but it's actually super easy to get unreleased stuff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Stuff goes on shelves early all the time, but that's close to release when they're under a counter or in a back room.

It sounds like the new set shouldn't have be at any stores yet, which also explains why WotC is treating this as a crime.

That third party he got them from is hosed if there's no legitimate channel for him to have had them. It's no longer about street date or spoilers - this is WotC addressing shrinkage.

Which is the kind of thing you bring in "professionals" to investigate. They've probably been watching for stolen cards to surface, so selling them to a streamer would be about the dumbest thing you could do.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Gynovore posted:

...and to clarify, "union busting" meant having their men infiltrate the union and find out who the leaders were, then sending a gang of thugs to their houses and beating them so badly they could never work again. They're almost exactly like the 'security firms' in the cyberpunk genre who are private armies for corporations.

I mean they still do Union busting, but the more legal, acceptable and "friendly" way of infiltrating meetings and ratting out leaders and getting them fired and general concern trolling.

Far less beating people with doorknobs nowadays.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The Pinkertons thing is bad because when people complain about new editions of D&D in future and act like they can no longer play their preferred version, we can't make the usual response of "Hey, Wizards won't send the Game Police around your house."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It is extremely bad optics. I agree that a possible workflow was "wizards hires Securitas to investigate and pursue cases of internal theft of product" --> Pinkertons arrive at a youtuber's door, without an intermediate step of "anyone in management at Wizards notices this specific case has led to an investigation of a youtuber, and decides maybe the right next step is to just try asking them where they got the cards first" which would have been both reasonable (this person isn't selling stolen product on the black market, he's making youtubes in public, there's a good chance he cooperates and even helps investigate) and prevent this extremely bad looking incident from winding up in the news.

But they didn't do that, and now they have sent pinkertons to a youtuber's house, and yes cops were another alternative, but I am gonna push back again on the framing that those were the only two "reasonable" options for Wizards of the Coast to deal with a youtuber making public youtubes showing off products that aren't even at retailers yet.

I am eager to see what Wizards has to say for itself.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Ah right. My main context for them has been footnotes on the history of the American Civil War of Lincoln using them. And yeeeaaaahhhh.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Leperflesh posted:

It is extremely bad optics. I agree that a possible workflow was "wizards hires Securitas to investigate and pursue cases of internal theft of product" --> Pinkertons arrive at a youtuber's door
[...]
But they didn't do that, and now they have sent pinkertons to a youtuber's house, and yes cops were another alternative, but I am gonna push back again on the framing that those were the only two "reasonable" options for Wizards of the Coast to deal with a youtuber making public youtubes showing off products that aren't even at retailers yet.

Also, "oh we didn't know they were going to do that, things got out of hand" is exactly the sort of plausible deniability one would hire Pinkertons for. If that was the case there's a way out of this mess other than hoping it all blows over (which, given my cynicism for the public and the lack of any broken bones, it probably will), but it probably takes too much transparency for a PR person to allow against instincts.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Leperflesh posted:

It is extremely bad optics. I agree that a possible workflow was "wizards hires Securitas to investigate and pursue cases of internal theft of product" --> Pinkertons arrive at a youtuber's door, without an intermediate step of "anyone in management at Wizards notices this specific case has led to an investigation of a youtuber, and decides maybe the right next step is to just try asking them where they got the cards first" which would have been both reasonable (this person isn't selling stolen product on the black market, he's making youtubes in public, there's a good chance he cooperates and even helps investigate) and prevent this extremely bad looking incident from winding up in the news.

Lol. Also lmao.

Wizards knew exactly what they were doing, that this won't even scratch their bottom line, that they could do it with impunity, and that it will have a chilling effect.

There is a near 0% chance they will publicly address this, and if thry do, it will be MaRo making another "Law and Order" article like he did gor RancoredElf saying "It's legal and we won't stop".

Your post is so completely out if touch with reality and what's posted in this thread that it's laughable.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

They will probably say nothing, because this is SOP to them.

If a major leak happens before they send to retailers at all this almost assuredly means theft or some other breakdown of their system that they probably want to make sure can't happen again.

So they send their jackboots to ask questions and maybe get answers.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's silly to consider what kinder, gentler alternatives available to WotC. They didn't (and would never) choose them. No corporation would because they have stronger and more efficient tools at their disposal.

Again, nobody's condoning it or saying it's normal and cool.

It's normal and bad because that's America.

If we ever hear anything else about it, it'll be that "private detectives" found out who stole boxes off a truck or warehouse, and that guy's facing Consequences.

And the fans will go back to consumption as usual because 1) there was a criminal, and 2) he's being punished.

That's also normal and bad.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Yet another point: the operatives arrived at his door two days after the video was posted. The legal way to get someone's address would be to send a subpoena to YouTube to obtain his IP address, then another subpoena yo his ISP to get his physical address. Both of these take a few days. For them to act so quickly means that Securitas almost certainly got his info in ways that aren't kosher.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
That or he's put sufficient info out for a detective agency to dox him.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
TG as an Industry: Talking about Pinkertons as much as Weezer Fans

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PharmerBoy posted:

That or he's put sufficient info out for a detective agency to dox him.

It's this. He has his city/state/zip in his public youtube info. They probably just matched it up internally to some customer info (arena/modo account, secret lair orders, etc.).

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Toshimo posted:

It's this. He has his city/state/zip in his public youtube info. They probably just matched it up internally to some customer info (arena/modo account, secret lair orders, etc.).

If I have a full name and a city, there's a multitude of information that I can find out using a public information subscription from Lexis.

I can probably get an address if the person is in a phone book.

You don't have to assume that the Pinkertons used any treyf fashion to get this information.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
WotC Slack discussion*:

SRDSlayer: This motherfucking Youtuber ripped us off and is now spoiling the special release for us! How do we stop him as quickly as possible? Call the cops?

SageAdvisor: We could do good cop/bad cop. Send someone to threaten him and grab the cards and then have someone here reassure him and comp him some boxes that haven't sold.

WeedWizard: ACAB

ZakDidNothingWrong: Why not send the Pinkertons instead?

SRDSlayer: I like it! Then comp him cards and he'll be happy and the problem will go away.

ComicBookPaladin: Oh, sure, no way the guy passes on the story on his YouTube channel

SRDSlayer: Was that sarcasm? I told you to stop with the sarcasm!

ComicBookPaladin: And if I don't, you send the Pinkertons after me

SRDSlayer: That's better. Now we execute my brilliant plan to save the launch!

*It is possible I have never used Slack.

EDIT: ComicBookPaladin: MtG Pinkerton expansion when?

Narsham fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 25, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here is appearntly what happened according to the Youtuber

https://www.polygon.com/23695923/mtg-aftermath-pinkerton-raid-leaked-cards

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Leperflesh posted:

Ok you’re close. Having been the contracting party on something similar Wizards end was likely something like this:

They have Securitas on retainer, however they KNOW Pinkertons is the the door knocker part of the company. They KNOW Pinkerton agents are likely ex-cops making their paydays after retirement/ pension vesting. They also know that the guys are going to be “polite” and “above board” when dealing with the dude.

Wizards / Hasbro doesn’t really care about the YouTuber because in the end they’re the small fry. They’re far more interested in how the person got the product. This early means there is a breakdown between the printer and the distributor both of which have a ton of contractual obligations in place to protect that product with matching penalties for any breach of that obligation.

They also know that Wizards will need some serious proof in order to enforce those penalties. That’s what Pinkerton provides - an airtight timeline of their investigation and report that can be waived in front of the company that lost the product. That’s why they wanted the serial numbers.

Some company is about to be paying a serious fine / get a reduced payment due to this.

So why not the cops? They’re not accountable to Wizards and they do not have a sense of urgency that this kind of breach requires. They also really don’t give a poo poo about stolen stuff. You get a police report and a reference number and that’s it. Doesn’t matter if it’s BFE or major metro they almost to a fault just don’t care.

I highly doubt anyone involved with this honestly gives a poo poo about the optics. They’re far more concerned with making sure they can nail a company and / or make an insurance claim. Both of which need the level of reporting that Pinkerton provides.

Source: a previous company was a game dev and my boss hired Pinkerton to recover stolen dev kits so that Sony / Microsoft didn’t ream is a new rear end in a top hat financially and cut us out of the next generation of consoles. Was also involved in steps necessary to secure loads of packaged games to be delivered to major retailers.

Additionally I was the joker who had to call cops and get status updates on list / stolen laptops and phones for a different company. Cops suck to deal with at all levels, and stolen poo poo is bottom of the pile stuff you “work” on while taking a poo poo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thanks Nystral, it's nice to get some info that's more than just random speculation. The storyline makes sense, and the article MonsterEnvy linked to fits it.

I don't particularly feel like normalizing the use of private security, particularly the Pinkertons, but "this is normal SOP" is pretty clear.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
The solution is clear, we need to dissolve the united states and every magic card ever printed to prevent this happening again

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I'm not sure dissolving the US would get rid of a corporate security firm but I am not specifically against your plan either.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

disposablewords posted:

I'm not sure dissolving the US would get rid of a corporate security firm but I am not specifically against your plan either.

Trust me

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

gonna be wild when the Pinkertons take Michigan and upper Indiana, and start their march towards chicago.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Dexo posted:

gonna be wild when the Pinkertons take Michigan and upper Indiana, and start their march towards chicago.

They are already planning for the post-apocalypse.

Climate Chaos Is Coming — and the Pinkertons Are Ready posted:

Whatever the exact costs of climate change, it is Pinkerton's job to read between the numbers looking for the potential for violence. If you're suffering only one hurricane every 20 years or so, shelling out $1 million to Pinkerton isn't such a big deal, Paz Larach explained; you bake it into your risk. "But if there's a disaster every year, which is happening more and more, it makes more sense to have dedicated staff on standby." A Pinkerton on standby doesn't mean protection for just your insurable risks but also for the uninsurable risks — business interruptions, theft of trade secrets, pandemics. And with the environment increasingly weaponized against the poor, to borrow Wallace-Wells's phrase, the sectors that rely on cheap labor will face more unrest among workers; the state will struggle to keep up with crime; and in the aftermath of storms, with landslides blocking first responders, regional offices will be cut off.

And this, of course, is exactly the sort of environment in which the Pinkertons thrive.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

SimonChris posted:

They are already planning for the post-apocalypse.

quote:

And with the environment increasingly weaponized against the poor, to borrow Wallace-Wells's phrase, the sectors that rely on cheap labor will face more unrest among workers; the state will struggle to keep up with crime; and in the aftermath of storms, with landslides blocking first responders, regional offices will be cut off.

lmao this loving line, god gently caress these assholes.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Dexo posted:

lmao this loving line, god gently caress these assholes.

Oh don’t mistake things. The Pinkerton folk I dealt with knew the reputation and their pitch leaned into that history. They’re assholes through and through and the people hiring them see it as THE key reason to hire a Pinkerton vs someone else.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Warthur posted:

The Pinkertons thing is bad because when people complain about new editions of D&D in future and act like they can no longer play their preferred version, we can't make the usual response of "Hey, Wizards won't send the Game Police around your house."

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
getting swatted by mike mearls' private security force after i install the 4e character creator on my players' laptops.