Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should get the next welterweight title shot?
This poll is closed.
Colby Covington 2 3.51%
Belal Muhammad 17 29.82%
Shavkat Rakhmonov 3 5.26%
Matt Serra 26 45.61%
Marius Zaromskis 4 7.02%
Ben Quadrinaros 5 8.77%
Total: 57 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CarlCX posted:

Some part of this is also the context of the illegal blow

at best done as misguided weapons and at worst done without regard for the rules period.
In Green's case he was trying to do something legal but he did it by turning himself into a skull torpedo

Yeah, imo, when you come in behind your straight punch / elbow with a lowered head, you're at the very least being ok with head contact, and at the most hunting for a piece of that action.
I never regarded myself as a dirty fighter, but the one lapse would be when I was dead in the water in later rounds in sparring, I would sometimes resort to throwing a poorly targeted and not too tight straight punch with the head right behind it. Even if it doesn't land, the head filling up the opponent's vision is a significant distraction to their overall defense. The way Green maximized the reach of his dome behind that forearm is exactly how I would set it up so it would be there for a 2nd shot. The 1st shot is all the pretext and cover you need to defend the 2nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Marching Powder posted:

i feel kind of sick watching that poo poo. i really don't like the idea of really hurting a person who cannot defend themselves.

I've blocked everything on social media so I don't see it. I only ever see it here.

We have the power to say no Power Slap in the mma thread... because its not mma, and open a new thread just for it.

Just my thoughts.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I don’t think a separate power slap thread is materially different from “no power slap in the MMA thread”, and that’s not really fair when MMA and power slap have their biggest nexus in the former’s most influential rear end in a top hat.

I used to roll my eyes at Fightsport calling Dana “Built Like A Fascist” but now they just seem ~15 years ahead of their time.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
white power slap unfortunately is very relevant to mma because dana is a lunatic. i don't mind scrolling past it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I dont necessarily have a problem if anyone wants to post or discuss it. I have 0 interest in giving it clicks or engagement though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I've blocked everything on social media so I don't see it. I only ever see it here.

We have the power to say no Power Slap in the mma thread... because its not mma, and open a new thread just for it.

Just my thoughts.

i agree with this. make it in gbs too.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Yeah the slap stuff sucks, it's one thing if it gets brought up here because the UFC is directly advertising it and poo poo like that, but I don't think just some random slap thing needs to get posted here without comment as if you're saying "hey look at this cool poo poo".

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Pretty much, yeah. Like I said last time, slap fighting is unfortunately tied to the UFC and when there's something relevant it's worth discussing, but barely-mobile retiree Tim Sylvia slapping Inaction Bronson for ten bucks in the stockroom of a Costco is just depressing.

Also, while working on next month's thread/this week's writeup and generally looking forward, the next couple months of UFC are kind of loving dire. Your next nine main events, as of now, are:
  • Yadong Song vs Ricky Simon - cool fight, really shouldn't be a main event, as indicated by their having booked it to not be a main event
  • Aljamain Sterling vs Henry Cejudo - I hate people coming out of retirement into title fights but this is still a good main
  • Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs Jailton Almeida - what are we doing here and why is this headlining a network television card
  • Raquel Pennington vs Irene Aldana 2 - this is both the definition of treading water and 25 minutes that are virtually guaranteed to not be fun
  • Jack Hermansson vs Brendan Allen - it's song vs simon but 50 pounds heavier and less fun
  • Amanda Nunes vs Julianna Peña 3 - this might actually be the least necessary rematch the UFC has made since Tito/Shamrock 3 and that was seventeen years ago
  • Marvin Vettori vs Jared Cannonier - so little is going to happen in this fight between two guys who've both already been made to look stupid by the champion and #1 contender
  • Josh Emmett vs Ilia Topuria - okay this one rules and I'm preemptively psyched for Topuria finally reaching loving contendership
  • Sean Strickland vs Abusupiyan Magomedov - this is the universe's revenge on me for briefly being happy
Like, gently caress.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Tangy Zizzle posted:

1) slap league stuff sucks

2) the Greene headbutt was different than the Curtis one because the Greene one led to a tko and the Curtis one didn't. If Curtis had a complaint he shouldn't have answered the bell in the next round. He wanted to keep fighting instead, so it's on him.

he probably came to his senses while getting punched and iirc the headbutt was in the middle of the round, what was he supposed to do? give up and let kelvin pummel him into a TKO? fight for another two minutes and then quit on the stool? then pray the commission will make a reasonable decision and overturn it? i'm not even sure what the solution is but i get that he's pissed.

headbutts in general are a huge issue in mma, idk what the solution is other than more use of instant replays and refs needing to be better trained to be facing both fighters side on instead of doing the herb dean lazy bitch walk behind one fighter. it's not like eye pokes that are basically sanctioned cheating, headbutts happen all the time just because people are crashing into each other. having a big head might be the most underrated skill in MMA. it won cejudo a belt. it won figuereido an interim belt. matt serra lost every second of every round to matt hughes except for when he smashed him with his fat head.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

CarlCX posted:

barely-mobile retiree Tim Sylvia slapping Inaction Bronson for ten bucks in the stockroom of a Costco is just depressing.

lol

those main events all look dire except for men's division at 155lbs and under, though nunes/pena was hilarious both times so i'm hoping we'll get another comedy masterpiece out of that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think power slap feeds into pervasive toxic masculinity, in that it very visibly is something any schmoe can have success with. Unlike mma where you can always get finished in your first z league fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Brut posted:

I don't think just some random slap thing needs to get posted here without comment as if you're saying "hey look at this cool poo poo".

yep

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah I'm ok with slap stuff as a Tim Sylvia update or something but not slap stuff in its own right, just as a clip from a Nate Diaz street fight is relevant even if this isn't the place for general street fight posts.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Keep in mind that Tim Sylvia hasn't fought in the UFC in 15 years, and hasn't fought in any actual MMA organization in 10 years, I don't know exactly what the number should be but I think there's probably some expiration of relevancy here.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It always cool to kick villains while they're down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo&t=10s

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

kimbo305 posted:

It always cool to kick villains while they're down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo&t=10s

I love Ray's look of disappointment when Sylvia broke their gentleman's agreement to just box. Ray probably would have given him a good fight had he not opened with that kick. After that, though, no amount of "don't do it champ" could stop the man from doing it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Fedor v Tim Sylvia is the only Fedor victory fight that deserves to live on forever.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

If you're a fan of the MMA content Seanbaby used to put out one to two decades ago (we are dusty skeletons holy poo poo) his current site 1900HOTDOG did an episode of their podcast The Dogg Zzone 9000 about The Slap

quote:

Power Slap: Road to the Title, is a show about a fighting league where men slap. To be more clear, it’s a style of fighting where men with nothing to live for flip a coin to see which one gets knocked out. It’s the sad parts of violence without the skill of martial arts pinned to a reality show made twenty years too late. If a pet store owner told you, “These two fish will kill each other in a bowl that small,” Power Slap is a sport based around ignoring him.
If you’re a fan of combat sports and have always wondered what it would be like to not be, Power Slap is perfect. It’s like sitting in an animal shelter and just watching a rabies outbreak play out. Maybe there’s no way to describe it. It’s a gloryless spectacle of desperate misery. If you sold your house to invest in Moonfall NFTs, your parole officer would look at Power Slap and say, “Nothing has ever included this many terrible ideas in one place.”

mewse
May 2, 2006

So they made The Ultimate Fighter But Slap Fighting and pilgrim media group agreed to be involved? Gross

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

DoombatINC posted:

If you're a fan of the MMA content Seanbaby used to put out one to two decades ago (we are dusty skeletons holy poo poo) his current site 1900HOTDOG did an episode of their podcast The Dogg Zzone 9000 about The Slap

Seanbaby loving rules and as usual is right on the money.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

DoombatINC posted:

about The Slap

This blurb is so good I'll prob put this on while I clean up my last chievos in re4 tonight :c00l:

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

On the topic of lamentable inevitability:
https://twitter.com/MMAFightingSM/status/1650617690971840512

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Just my thoughts.

Shumagorath posted:

I don’t think a separate power slap thread is materially different from “no power slap in the MMA thread”, and that’s not really fair when MMA and power slap have their biggest nexus in the former’s most influential rear end in a top hat.

I used to roll my eyes at Fightsport calling Dana “Built Like A Fascist” but now they just seem ~15 years ahead of their time.

Marching Powder posted:

white power slap unfortunately is very relevant to mma because dana is a lunatic. i don't mind scrolling past it.

BlindSite posted:

I dont necessarily have a problem if anyone wants to post or discuss it. I have 0 interest in giving it clicks or engagement though.

Brut posted:

Yeah the slap stuff sucks, it's one thing if it gets brought up here because the UFC is directly advertising it and poo poo like that, but I don't think just some random slap thing needs to get posted here without comment as if you're saying "hey look at this cool poo poo".

Let's just crowdfund bringing back XArm and the Yamma Pit. I'm still pissed off I never got my shirt from the event. That was a FUN watch along

For the new lil babbies: https://bloodyelbow.com/2013/04/11/remembering-yamma-pit-fighting-five-years-later/

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

the diaz brothers forever living inside the 'when keeping it real goes wrong' sketch

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Also as long as we're going through all the depressing poo poo today: The coroner's report came out and "Stephan Bonnar died from heart problems" line was either a respectful cover or misunderstanding, he ODed on fentanyl.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Most deaths are ultimately heart problems of various onset and duration, just like one of the two fighters who saved a certain someone's company is an independent contractor unworthy of a pension and long-term health support.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

CarlCX posted:

Also as long as we're going through all the depressing poo poo today: The coroner's report came out and "Stephan Bonnar died from heart problems" line was either a respectful cover or misunderstanding, he ODed on fentanyl.

It's a sad state when steroid abuse inducing heart failure at a young age is the respectful death.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Cell 209 please

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The saddest news possible

Tim Sylvia's next slap fight is against Mark Coleman.

I wish I was lying.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Lid posted:

I wish I was lying.

Nice! I hope someone posts that one too!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Hoping Mark goes full IKEA, drat the rules.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

I wish I was lying.

i hate this

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

can't stop thinking about 'it's a gloryless spectacle of desperate misery'

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Lid posted:

I wish I was lying.

drat that's depressing :(

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sure am glad that the UFC looks after the athletes that helped build its brand and sport into what it is by

*checks notes*

doing nothing and leaving them in a place where they need to do slap fighting for a pittance.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

They’re not even in the Dana white affiliated league where they could at least get handed a bigger check to go home.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Lid posted:

I wish I was lying.

I'm willing to bet the puffy fat bald guy ends up winning this one.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just a reminder that this is happening Saturday

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Lid posted:

I wish I was lying.

jfc

what's the over/under on how many people die from this before it's banned. or how many people are found to have suffered irreparable brain damage from doing this behind the school when they were teenagers. this is the stupidest mma-adjacent thing that has ever happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
and no one seems to like it. even UFC fans who are the dumbest people on the planet don't like it. everyone is saying it sucks. and this is what brings dust-necked mark coleman out of retirement. blurgh.