Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

Davison himself said something akin to,"If they could have made more stories like this I would have stayed!" didn't he?

That was never going to happen though, JNT didn't think scripts were an important part of television

[edit] Or rather he thought they were important, but "quality" was far down a list of priorities with "speed", "cost" and "possibilities for celebrity cameos" at the top

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'll have you know he was VERY involved in the process!

Thanks as always to Forktoss :allears:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Which story was The Ribos Operation with gun running?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No no, that story got canned. They did the story in Crete with Boris Becker as the guest star instead, you remember? The one where the gun runners end up shooting the Master's TARDIS console and causing a rip in space-time that caused a paradox effect that jumbled up the years that multiple UNIT operations took place in! The stern and patriarchal yet somehow charismatic leader of the gun runners calmly assesses the situation and makes a morally ambiguous exit in the aftermath!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've seen basically nothing of Six, so I have no idea whether that's a joke or not

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dabir posted:

I've seen basically nothing of Six, so I have no idea whether that's a joke or not

The comic is a joke based on ES's love of "gritty" material and JNT's producing predilections, it's all "on the theme of real stuff"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’ve been watching Pluto tv’s Classic Who channel and they’ve been going through the Davison/C.Bakes era, and it’s always surprising how gritty some of the stories are, despite the cheap sets. Stuff like Vengeance on Varos has a real ‘you’ve come to hell, and you’re all going to suffer’ feeling to it. No one comes out well.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

That one made a bit more sense than some of the others (looking at you timeless child) because at least prisoner zero came through a crack and might have gained some knowledge from that.

It all falls apart if you think about it. People fall through the cracks and are erased from time and memory, but Prisoner Zero can travel through one and escape, and it goes unnoticed not because of any property of the crack but due to a perception filter (that it abandons for some reason because two people got around it).

All the birds at the pond got eaten by the crack for some reason and that means no additional birds show up in this location in future but plenty of birds still exist.

The most baffling bit is the thought that it becomes common knowledge that the Doctor and the TARDIS are connected with the cracks, but evidently only the Doctor’s enemies know and they set a trap to stop him. None of his friends ever ring him up and say “the TARDIS seems to be unravelling the fabric of space-time, maybe have that checked?”

Moffat gets away with it because you don’t have the context to see the problem until the finale, and it’s so satisfying that you are likely to say it justifies the elements that retroactively don’t make sense. Honestly, Prisoner Zero could have told the Doctor the cracks were his fault in a way we wouldn’t believe and the whole season still works, but Moffat loves his mysteries.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The comic is a joke based on ES's love of "gritty" material and JNT's producing predilections, it's all "on the theme of real stuff"

I've seen that comic many times and only just now noticed that the script has HOLMES ERIC on it :laugh:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

And I only just now noticed the shirt with GUNS on it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
And in a surprise to no-one…

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1650560953732464640?s=46&t=UTOH395uNtApOR_fphajxg

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hopefully this means a S10 soundtrack release!

Also the return of the Gallifrey leitmotif.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/DrWhoMoment/status/1650575437410766848

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:rock: Let's loving go! :rock:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Excellent, more Doctor Who Charades because good luck hearing anyone over a roaring orchestra going absolute ham :3:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm sure the guy Chibnall got was doing fine work, but I can't remember what any of it sounded like except that the theme was crap.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Can the next season just come out already? Waiting until November is just insane.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rufus Hound is incredible as The Meddling Monk.

That is all.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

AndyElusive posted:

Can the next season just come out already? Waiting until November is just insane.

November only brings three specials - season 40 is scheduled for 2024.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dabir posted:

I'm sure the guy Chibnall got was doing fine work, but I can't remember what any of it sounded like except that the theme was crap.

I liked the theme :(

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dabir posted:

I thought 13's theme was the only awesome and memorable piece of music in her whole run and I'm sad we only heard it a few times.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Excellent, more Doctor Who Charades because good luck hearing anyone over a roaring orchestra going absolute ham :3:

I think I'd prefer that to the deafening "audience is listening" noise made by the Chibnall-era Doctor Who bumper.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

:piss:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
2024 like january 1st or 2024 like halfway through

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

thank god

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Edward Mass posted:

Holiday season. So, starting around Christmastime or New Year's.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Timby posted:

Holiday season. So, starting around Christmastime or New Year's.

That’s the special, not the full season.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/PaulMcGannSoT/status/1650301797129494532?s=20

I'd watch this crossover

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

8th Doctor: All living beings have values, nobody is beyond redemption.
Frank walks into Paddy's

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Narsham posted:

It all falls apart if you think about it. People fall through the cracks and are erased from time and memory, but Prisoner Zero can travel through one and escape, and it goes unnoticed not because of any property of the crack but due to a perception filter (that it abandons for some reason because two people got around it).

All the birds at the pond got eaten by the crack for some reason and that means no additional birds show up in this location in future but plenty of birds still exist.

The most baffling bit is the thought that it becomes common knowledge that the Doctor and the TARDIS are connected with the cracks, but evidently only the Doctor’s enemies know and they set a trap to stop him. None of his friends ever ring him up and say “the TARDIS seems to be unravelling the fabric of space-time, maybe have that checked?”

Moffat gets away with it because you don’t have the context to see the problem until the finale, and it’s so satisfying that you are likely to say it justifies the elements that retroactively don’t make sense. Honestly, Prisoner Zero could have told the Doctor the cracks were his fault in a way we wouldn’t believe and the whole season still works, but Moffat loves his mysteries.

While we're thinking things through, I've always been a bit worried about Capaldi's first episode Deep Breath where it implies he maybe mugs that old distressed guy... what was that about 😞

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

SecretOfSteel posted:

While we're thinking things through, I've always been a bit worried about Capaldi's first episode Deep Breath where it implies he maybe mugs that old distressed guy... what was that about 😞

Deep Breath was absolute pure garbage until the restaurant scene. The restaurant scene was amazing. Everything after was pretty good too.

Dunno how Moffat fumbled that opening so badly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Deep Breath was absolute pure garbage until the restaurant scene. The restaurant scene was amazing. Everything after was pretty good too.

Counterpoint:

https://makeagif.com/i/dDWOHq

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SecretOfSteel posted:

Compared to Six’s post-regeneration trauma, I’ll take the mugging of an old man off-screen. (Though I read that as coercion stopping short of physical violence.)

We’re supposed to be unsure if Twelve is a “good man,” perhaps because Moffat forgot the whole “Good Man Goes to War” thing he wrote.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Why does everyone else also look like they're photoshopped in

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Autisanal Cheese posted:

I've often wondered if he came up with the story as a standard-length 45-minute episode, or maybe with an extra five or ten minutes as a BIG EVENT... then the BBC said "Big event, eh? Good idea! We have a 75-minute slot for you!" followed by Moffat muttering "Oh, arse" and hurriedly reopening Final Draft to insert 20 extra blank pages at the start with 'FILL THIS' on each one.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

It's certainly one of the weaker episodes but I loved the whole aesthetic (until those AWFUL Dalek redesigns) and the interplay between the Doctor and the "nice" Daleks.

"YOU DO NOT REQUIRE TEA!?!"

The Silurian 2-parter was such a let down, but it's also frustratingly pretty vital on a rewatch due to those excellent last couple minutes of the last episode when Moffat took the writer's chair back and did Rory's death (and subsequent erasure) scene.

I actually adored the Dalek redesigns and really dug them, and then... we don't see them at all :negative:

Narsham posted:

I mean it wasn't really very satisfying because the whole "reboot the universe" thing was bullshit, but ok

The whole thing about Moffat is it constantly feels like he's trying to be smart and write smart scripts, but then he actually isn't that smart, so he ends up tying himself in knots. there is a two hour hbomberguy video where he proves this exact thing is a pattern across his entire career

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 25, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like the dalek redesigns were actually large enough to Impose on people, and the colours denoting rank were an insight into dalek society that wouldn't be paralleled until Asylum of the Daleks, and then not again until the DALEKS!!! shorts.

edit: I wanna know how scientist daleks work. Like, they still have the gun and the secondary attachment, so ???? lol

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 25, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Dalek with a loving chalkboard pen on the end of a stick for an arm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

It was just as bad the last few seasons. It's not the music, it's the mix. I had to watch with loving subtitles on.