Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

To be fair to Nintendo, they're probably not scraping the bottom of the barrel for games they can license intentionally, it's just that most third party devs that think they can make money off of their back catalog aren't going to just hand that over to Nintendo nowadays, now that the wave of retro nostalgia is hitting they want to do their own rereleases or remasters and make the money themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Booted up my Switch and found that they updated the NES app with a single game. It's Xevious.

Imagine being Nintendo, having access to this massive library of retro games at your disposal and only ever expanding the NSO library once every five months. You could be putting out a new game each week and just rake in the dough from new subscriptions, but no, why would you do anything cool. The Wii loving had that! They released new Virtual Console games every Thursday! People loved that!

Xevious is one of the most important games of all time. If there's any Gen X Japanese developer you love that probably got started on video games playing xevious. Xevious along with Tower of Druags was one of THE killer apps that made Famicom a hit.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

armpit_enjoyer posted:

The Wii loving had that! They released new Virtual Console games every Thursday! People loved that!

Everyone loves to shop on it every Wednesday

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.

Unlucky7 posted:

I know I should not cheese the Fog of War stages by moving up a unit, seeing if there are enemies, then immediately resetting the turn and acting accordingly.

But I do not care

Great idea, I’m going to start doing this. FoW maps with limited forces suck!!

Related, what does casual difficulty actually do?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Xevious is one of the most important games of all time. If there's any Gen X Japanese developer you love that probably got started on video games playing xevious. Xevious along with Tower of Druags was one of THE killer apps that made Famicom a hit.

That's what I was trying to get across. There's enough stone cold classics on the NES they could be pumping out a Xevious-caliber release every week if they cared to. Meanwhile, when they realise it's been four months since the last update, they put out black box Pinball.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They’re in a weird spot with their Nintendo Switch Online classic game consoles. Nintendo have put out pretty much all their well known first party classics across all the systems and have even gone the extra mile to get the N64 Rare titles up. Meanwhile, the best of the best third party retro games are mostly already available to purchase in various collections on the Switch and other consoles/PC. Which explains the drip feed of weirdo games popping up on NSO. I really don’t see a solution that makes everyone happy.

Frankly, I’d rather Nintendo let you outright purchase the games like on ye olde Virtual Console rather than another loving subscription service.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

They’re in a weird spot with their Nintendo Switch Online classic game consoles. Nintendo have put out pretty much all their well known first party classics across all the systems and have even gone the extra mile to get the N64 Rare titles up. Meanwhile, the best of the best third party retro games are mostly already available to purchase in various collections on the Switch and other consoles/PC. Which explains the drip feed of weirdo games popping up on NSO. I really don’t see a solution that makes everyone happy.

Frankly, I’d rather Nintendo let you outright purchase the games like on ye olde Virtual Console rather than another loving subscription service.

The solution is more wonderful Game Boy games which they released last month in that same dump with Xevious and Side Pocket. I thank Nintendo for these games and their continuing commitment to excellence.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
My sister and I having been playing Side Pocket online on weekends for over a month now. It's a great way to chill out while we chat about family and whatnot on discord.

We don't keep score.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

I really don’t see a solution that makes everyone happy.
Even with the current catalog I think there's opportunity for Nintendo to do more with NSO that what they're doing. Like official DX/colorizations of old Game Boy games would be pretty cool instead of leaving it to the community, again. Or official localizations of titles that didn't make it over. Or sort out the issues with Quintet and release their long-lost SNES RPGs since they had publishing rights to them in the west in the first place.

I suppose the online multiplayer feature is neat, but otherwise the NSO collections are very bare bones compared to most third-party compilations.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah there's no money in VC though. There might be a bit of money in the subscription service, but not like Game Pass money.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think I'm gonna get the vouchers and use one on AW and one on Zelda (which is $70?)

That’s what I did. TOTK preorder and AWR.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
advance wars is more than twelve years old...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

i definitely wouldn't be playing nearly as many of the switch vc titles if i had to buy them individually again

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can think of two notable exceptions to the above that I have been dying for them to put on the NSO: Banjo Tooie and mother loving Diddy Kong Racing! Give them both to me!

There are probably others. Jet Force Gemini?

Oh and it's not Rare but how about Mischief Makers?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I wish NSO had achievements. I’m not into the whole dick-measuring thing about who has the most points, I just enjoy having these little side accomplishments I can complete and have on my profile. It’d be awesome if those were added to old NES games and poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Looper posted:

advance wars is more than twelve years old...

Advance Wars released in America on 9/11 :patriot:

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

They could also have an easy slam dunk if they somehow put Gen 1 and Gen 2 Pokemon games on NSO, preferably with Pokemon Home support. They're not above using Lua hackery to fix certain games (hell, that time-limited Famicom Fire Emblem rerelease they did translated the entire game on the fly) so it's something they absolutely could do but won't, because what's the point, right

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The point is that why add them for free to a subscription premise when they can make you buy them again separately?

And if not going for that, it's also a good card to keep for when subs start to run out again, like adding GB and GBA

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

They could also have an easy slam dunk if they somehow put Gen 1 and Gen 2 Pokemon games on NSO, preferably with Pokemon Home support. They're not above using Lua hackery to fix certain games (hell, that time-limited Famicom Fire Emblem rerelease they did translated the entire game on the fly) so it's something they absolutely could do but won't, because what's the point, right

they will, that's one case where i think it's reasonably clear that they're holding it back to drip-feed for hype later

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

armpit_enjoyer posted:

It's even more of a slam dunk with them putting Pokemon Stadium on the N64 one! Like... come on? Playing Stadium with only rentals is the polar opposite of a good time!

It's especially infuriating because they did put the Gameboy Pokemon games as a download... on the 3DS, but with no way for those games to interact with Stadium. Now we have Stadium but no GBA games to connect it to and I hate it!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Was playing some burger time deluxe on the GBA app last night and it was pretty excellent fun.

Are there any newer versions out there? Or similar games?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like i think the well has run relatively dry on remaining first-party NES games anyone actually gives a poo poo about but they are 100% going to do the poo poo on GBA/GBC where they hype up red/blue/yellow dropping this summer on social media or some poo poo

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

XSEED put out a BurgerTime party game on the Switch a couple of years back but I haven't played it personally.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Put Mario Paint on NSO imho

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Feels Villeneuve posted:

like i think the well has run relatively dry on remaining first-party NES games anyone actually gives a poo poo about but they are 100% going to do the poo poo on GBA/GBC where they hype up red/blue/yellow dropping this summer on social media or some poo poo

I actually checked the list of NES games published by Nintendo and the only "major" (as in, games that people still pay attention to these days) games that are missing and that don't have their own bespoke remakes/rereleases on the eShop are, like, RC Pro-Am, Faxanadu, and if you want to be generous, Rad Racer and Mach Rider.

That being said, I wish they'd say "yo gently caress the remake, we're putting the original Dragon Quest game on NSO" because holy poo poo, those remakes are eye-wateringly bad.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wtf fauxanadu was first party? Put that poo poo out

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

One of my first gaming memories was renting Burger Time in the 80's when I was probably about five. I couldn't understand why the pepper only temporarily knocks out baddies and I was so mad.

Well, see you later.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Only in NA and Europe, but yeah. Hudson published it in Japan themselves.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

armpit_enjoyer posted:

They're not above using Lua hackery to fix certain games (hell, that time-limited Famicom Fire Emblem rerelease they did translated the entire game on the fly) so it's something they absolutely could do but won't, because what's the point, right
That was using the old Wii U VC NES emulator though not the NSO one. I don't know if there's any Lua hooks in that.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That was using the old Wii U VC NES emulator though not the NSO one. I don't know if there's any Lua hooks in that.

Wait, really? Is there a writeup anywhere?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah i should clarify what i mean is they're definitely going to release RBY for hype later, idk if they'd put in Home support.

clearly "reading save data from a GBA ROM" is not an unsurmountable task but given that they release actual pokemon games without Home support at launch I don't think that's what they're waiting on

Electromax
May 6, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Like official DX/colorizations of old Game Boy games would be pretty cool instead of leaving it to the community, again.

For whatever reason, Nintendo seems very reluctant to touch their old titles like this (remakes like Link's Awakening non-withstanding) and their ethos seems to be, if it was good enough in 1991, it's good enough today. Was disappointed they didn't do anything interesting with the SM64 anniversary release for example.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Wait, really? Is there a writeup anywhere?
https://twitter.com/LuigiBlood/status/1334673225339514881

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its an emulation service they should be releasing the games "as is" imo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Booted up my Switch and found that they updated the NES app with a single game. It's Xevious.

Imagine being Nintendo, having access to this massive library of retro games at your disposal and only ever expanding the NSO library once every five months. You could be putting out a new game each week and just rake in the dough from new subscriptions, but no, why would you do anything cool. The Wii loving had that! They released new Virtual Console games every Thursday! People loved that!
Do you think Nintendo owns the rights to every NES game ever made?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Electromax posted:

For whatever reason, Nintendo seems very reluctant to touch their old titles like this (remakes like Link's Awakening non-withstanding) and their ethos seems to be, if it was good enough in 1991, it's good enough today.
Nintendo operates in a world where they pretend that rampant piracy of their legacy doesn't exist, and that you couldn't purchase a $30 handheld from AliExpress with every GB/GBC games (and many, many others) on it. Now, would they see increased subscribership to NSO if they actually put out updated versions of these games on par with quality fan hacks? I don't know, but they'd certainly get better PR.

Electromax posted:

Was disappointed they didn't do anything interesting with the SM64 anniversary release for example.
The SM3DAS version of SM64 was, OK. They did some texture updates and stuff that looks pretty good, but the overall presentation wasn't as good as the PC ports that were coming out at that time. But then they pulled that version from sale and put the same old N64 ROM up on NSOXP. Absolutely baffling.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its an emulation service. the point is to put out the god dang unaltered ROMs as god intended.

if they want to update something they would simply sell it separately as a remaster

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

its an emulation service. the point is to put out the god dang unaltered ROMs as god intended.
That doesn't change that they're competing against better versions of their own games available on retro handhelds or an EZ Flash Junior.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
you can also pirate and emulate games, for the nintendo switch

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Is there any chance of more Mario and Luigi games on the Switch? Which ones are the ones people don't like again

Edit: I know one game had the HP values inflated in the US version like the old Contras

mycot fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
AlphaDream went bankrupt so unfortunately not likely and Nintendo's insistence on keeping everything related to the Mario IP strictly controlled would probably just make them not have the charm they used to

The ones people liked are the first three