Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Oops wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kith posted:

the only things i have to do to get to 11 are gild conqueror (sigh) and master root (also sigh)

i have not done either due to a severe lack of give a poo poo but there's still a month left in the season and there's nothing else to do so gently caress it why not

Did master Nez last night and honestly it ain’t bad. Void surge and BRICKS means you LMG everything and maybe not die

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The new Nezarec Behavior makes him a real son of a gun though. Even with Void, Void & Concussive Resist he will straight up assassinate you from full health on Master with little warning!

I'm assuming we'll need to run Encounter Challenges #1 and #2 again to get the final adepts? Weird rollout this time around

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Guardian Ranks really need to give you something other than a temporary number next to your name otherwise I have zero interest in raising it and suggesting to players I am better at the game than I actually am

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The lack of rewards is because of the aspect where it’s supposed to reflect your true level of achievement and dedication to the game. You aren’t supposed to want to raise it for its own sake

Of course because this is a game built entirely around raising numbers for their own sake, everyone wants to be 11 just because it’s the highest number. Same as every other time Bungie has introduced a “true performance” system

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Did master Nez last night and honestly it ain’t bad. Void surge and BRICKS means you LMG everything and maybe not die

i'm not the least bit worried about getting it done, i've been through master raids before. i just don't care about root. i'm not interested in the guns or the armor or the title or the emblems or even the shaders. i don't even think root LOOKS particularly compelling: "a pyramid that got hosed up by the traveler" is a neat idea but quickly wears out its welcome because they don't take it in any exciting directions. it's just a bunch of black marble broken by iridescent ???plant??? poo poo with no exploration of how that might impact the pyramid beyond "you can walk on things to get places".

i know there are people who like root and more power to them for that but nothing about it appeals to me in any way. it's just there, offering nothing i want and prompting no commentary beyond "oh cool, nezarec has a dad bod"

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah Root of Nightmares strikes me as a bit 'uninspired' to be honest. I don't hate running it, but I also haven't crafted a single one of its guns despite having most of the patterns

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

number and titles are not indicative of skill lol, trust only your eyes

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

imagine leaving loot on the table

tbh I'll probably craft them for the sake of having on hand, but beside rufus I'm not feeling particular excitement for any roll, but then again I got all the KF weapons and barely use them too.

IMO the encounters are pretty fun and the fact it's an easier raid makes it pretty fun to run. VoW was always like "hope encounter 3 doesn't end up taking an hour"

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

'uninspired' is a perfect way to put it. it feels like the first draft was the final draft - there's so much interesting poo poo that could've been done and none of it ever materialized.

what if there were raid mechanics happening because the pyramid was trying to fight off the intruding plants?

what if the new tree of silver wings was the source of making nezarec vulnerable instead of ?????

what if we had a goal that wasn't "wander around in circles using these conveniently placed plant orifices to wind up exactly where we started"?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah Root of Nightmares strikes me as a bit 'uninspired' to be honest. I don't hate running it, but I also haven't crafted a single one of its guns despite having most of the patterns

Nessa's Oblation can roll Destabilizing Rounds/Repulsor Brace, Rufus's Fury can do Demo/Hatchling or Reconstruction/Target Lock, some people say the sidearm is good I guess

I couldn't give less of a gently caress about the other three guns.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i mean gently caress we have an unused relic weapon from season of the haunted just sitting around!!! tormentors use super-scythes, give us an interaction where we steal one of those and use it to gently caress up nezarec with it or something

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I might be forever rank 10 bc solo-ing the dungeon is not beyond my ability, its just beyond my patience.

I just don't enjoy solo play and it is incredibly tedious and takes a long time. I am tempted for the epeen, but also everything was pretty chill or already done. Solo play sucks and is not why I am here, especially when none of the mechanics or combat are difficult it just takes 7 phases to titan damage the gardens boss to death. I have heard the last guy is harder. I have flawless raids, 3 raid titles (a solar and arc vog off 4), a string of Week One's, a contest, flawless GM's, went 2 for 2 on my first Mars GM attempts, Gilded conqueror twice before reset and I have Day One'd every single dungeon that has been released since Beyond Light and solo-ing spire is where I draw the line sir.

that poo poo is boring and does not spark joy. if they gave back solo operative I might but :effort: I play this game to do cool hard poo poo with my friends. If I wanted to play with myself I'd get some new lotion and shut the door.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waroduce posted:

I might be forever rank 10 bc solo-ing the dungeon is not beyond my ability, its just beyond my patience.

I just don't enjoy solo play and it is incredibly tedious and takes a long time. I am tempted for the epeen, but also everything was pretty chill or already done. Solo play sucks and is not why I am here, especially when none of the mechanics or combat are difficult it just takes 7 phases to titan damage the gardens boss to death. I have heard the last guy is harder. I have flawless raids, 3 raid titles (a solar and arc vog off 4), a string of Week One's, a contest, flawless GM's, went 2 for 2 on my first Mars GM attempts, Gilded conqueror twice before reset and I have Day One'd every single dungeon that has been released since Beyond Light and solo-ing spire is where I draw the line sir.

that poo poo is boring and does not spark joy. if they gave back solo operative I might but :effort: I play this game to do cool hard poo poo with my friends. If I wanted to play with myself I'd get some new lotion and shut the door.

Listen if I can do that dumb poo poo you sure as hell can. Just do it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The skill isn’t the problem, the it taking 3+ hours of you don’t have a build so busted it feels like exploiting a bug Is the problem

I did solo spire and 6-8 cycles of chaotic bullshit skin of your teeth mechanics is Not Fun. 6-8 cycles of relatively low risk running around doing puzzles and then DPS also isn’t that fun just because 6-8 is way too many times to do a destiny mechanic in a row

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
No lie dawg, I feel like Solo Operative (+15% damage) was less useful than some of the crazy artifact mods this season

That and separating Subclass & Weapon Damage Boosts (no more font of might, hello boot surges) means you can run the best DPS Super & the Best DPS Weapon now even if they are different elements

This season is WAY faster & easier to solo flawless dungeons even though we take a bit more damage and don't have that flat Solo Op bonus.

(EDIT - It still super sucks to actually do it. I'm just saying you definitely didn't miss the boat by having to do it without Solo Op and the year 5 sandbox)

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Root's weapons kind of just... exist. Yes, the Strand auto rifle is great but it's a little strange it releases simultaneously with a seasonal Stand auto (and a buffed Quicksilver). Strand sidearm shares a lot of use cases with the auto; in all cases you're really just looking for Tangle support over what the gun itself brings. Both heavy weapons have landed off meta, where one weapon type just got nerfed, and one didn't get buffed enough. Honestly the best things to come out are probably the shotgun and trace rifle, but even then they're not that great (and I do think a bit about how I have great rolls for both but use neither in this season that has surges for both their elements).

Compare and contrast to Vow which had a lot of weapons in rare archetypes or with unique perk combinations. Insidious was a great Pulse Rifle and only the second 4-burst option in the game at the time, Deliverance was the first iteration of a chill clip fusion (before Riptide took over due to it's better archetype), Cataclysmic was a top-tier DPS option for an entire year (it could compete perfectly fine with Taipan, that only won on ease of use). Forbearance was loving Forbearance and remains one of the most cracked PvE weapons in the game. The arguably most "forgettable" weapons are "the second purple glaive available in the game" and "the smg with perfect recoil that makes you run faster", that's saying something.

Root reminds me a lot of looking over King's Fall offerings and not really being wowed by anything in there either. They're decent guns, but I have great guns and I'm only really getting excited over something that's disruptive to my standard options. I ran the poo poo out of Vow after seeing my first chain reaction Forbearance in action. I haven't seen another Forbearance show up in awhile.

It does make me see the shape of the problem that Bungie was trying to solve with Sunsetting, but I'd honestly have this problem then Sunsetting, so.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

solo spire loving sucked in ways that no other solo dungeon has. thankfully heavy weapons are in a much better place than they've ever been before, especially since you can craft perfect ones, so equipment is much less of a bottleneck than it used to be

for anyone attempting solo spire themselves, i highly recommend a machine gun for the harpy boss (LFR is better for DPS but you gotta pop them eyes) and a grenade launcher w/ explosive light for the wyvern boss

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I am a bad destiny player and my solo spire strat so far is starfire, hollow denial for everything. Finally sat down and learned circuits so I can just run around without being pressured. I can consistently just blow through the opening, climb, and akelpus. For the top o the tower boss I tried a couple combinations including retrofit which normally shits on everything but it suffered from walking out of my well to keep the eye from being a 3x3 pixel area I’m trying to keep this bucking bronco aimed at. Settled on vorpal dmt, it breaks eyes in 1 shot with or without a well, just hipfire that bitch. Holllow denial for everything else, good ol triple tap franzy taipan lets me stand in the well, can still hit my shots when he goes center, and I never get deleted by the explosion like I do walking forward with other weapons, or better yet brought to 10 HP then killed by a fuckin red bar. Haven’t finished solo yet but having good luck learning with hollow denial, grand overture, and random top slot, I don’t have a killer riptide but I think I’ve been running whatever I have, probably chill clip/compulsive while i save up engrams to try for the ALH/CC. The video I stole all the routes from used a vorpal riptide to break the eyes which was cool but I was smart enough to have deleted any vorpal riptides, and I don’t think it works without.

Anyhow nothing critical just saying I hated spire because I did too much fighting poo poo and didn’t know my routes, now it’s a lot more fun. I’m still getting the final boss routes down but surviving OK, once I have them down I’ll set aside four hours or whatever to go for a single sitting solo. Given what I see so far I will never solo flawless it, I don’t have the patience to solo it repeatedly once I am able to do so.

E: pretty sure Kith knows more than me so take that advice, I’ll be mixing it in to see if it helps my success on the final boss, Ty!

uwaeve fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 24, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I will continue to sing the song of Stasis / Agers for harpy. It melts the eyes AND overcharged ager does real good damage.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I will continue to sing the song of Stasis / Agers for harpy. It melts the eyes AND overcharged ager does real good damage.

Ya I definitely ran Agers in a group for eyes and loved it, I think I may have had trouble making it deliver solo, but willing to mess with it again, thanks.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For the final boss, the most important tip is do not stop and do not turn around. You are being chased by supplicants and/or the boss basically every moment you are in there and you need to be clearing the path ahead and snapping off shots at circuits during the very short intervals when you get a chance. If you miss the circuit, go around for another try, there is no time limit on the yellow lines and regaining the buff is very easy

Another thing that works in your favor that not a lot of people seem to know- supplicants do not do AOE damage when killed by you, even if it's not a disintegration, and even though it's the same visual as self-detonating. So if there's one in your face about to go off, shotgun it and you take no damage. This saved me a whole lot of times during my solo run

vvvvvv I'm not sure if it's timed or tied to at least one hydra dying, because it doesn't seem to be both of them

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 24, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Another tip for the final room: After damage phase, the side doors remain open and nothing will spawn inside the reactor room. You can go in, kill any stragglers still alive, and you’re now completely safe. Get your bearings, kill the hydras, then when you’re ready step outside and start doing circuits and poo poo.

(You can technically do this at the start but the doors don’t open until the hydras are dead I think)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
As long as we're posting spire solo strategy stuff, this is the script I used:

As soon as you trigger the boss, go to one side and aim at the hydra spawn. If it's more than one teleport effect, the hydra will come in surrounded by trash, so go to the other side if you see that. Kill the one hydra and go through the door to the safe room

While in the safe room, jam the boss by standing in front of the large closed door until he walks up to you and stops. His AI has trouble getting out of this so long as you remain in the safe room, so it makes it less likely for him to interfere with killing the remaining hydras and trash

Kill both hydras from the safe room and get the minotaurs spawning. Weaken one from the safe room, then run out and finish it off to pick up the buff while still moving. If the boss was jammed it is now following you onto the platform. As you run off the back end of the platform, throw a grenade at the space between the platform and the nearest bank of computers, because the central supplicants tend to gather there. The boss will take a few seconds to navigate the platform, so this is your window to pop the 5 circuits that open the door and start the second phase of the cycle. There may be a goblin or two still in the center; leave them for DPS so you can trigger things that proc on kill just before the boss is vulnerable

During this phase, the outer area becomes safe(r) as nothing spawns there except minotaurs. The reactor chamber is now the danger zone where you should be rushing in one side and out the other without ever stopping or reversing. Figure out which wires you have to activate (there is no way to get good at this other than memorization and practice) and just run loops in and out of the core while trying to hit the circuits you need. There are several routes you can take from one core side entrance to the other- don't forget you can run around the back of the 4 target circuits- so you just need to pick the one that doesn't have supplicants or the boss at the moment

After that, just make sure that when you close the final circuit the boss is in or near the reactor room and that you have a decent amount of buff or a minotaur ready to kill. Apply whatever to the boss and when he goes invulnerable again he's probably standing in the center of the outer area so dash back into the reactor core, clear it out, and get ready for your second of the half-dozen plus repeats of this cycle it will take

Really the biggest tip is, again, do not try to recover a failed pass. Keep running and go around again, hitting that last circuit is not worth getting exploded or bombed or stomped into the wall. You can shoot it next time when the enemies are moved or dead

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s annoying more than anything but yeah I don’t think a whole lot of people are actually chasing the guardian rank grind.

I'm still rank 6 because I haven't bothered doing a legendary lost sector or whatever the one thing I haven't done yet. Quite happy going around with a noob hat.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I kinda hope they provide more than one path to Guardian Rank in future - I have no interest in Raiding, some in NF (and mostly Cruci/Trials), and it just means I stall out because there's no way to progress it.

It's not like there's forced 'Quality of play' requirements on the PVP components.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I think it’s just supposed to be like… if you see a 10 or 11 you know this is a psycho freak who Ks WTD. if you see they have nice-person commendations you know they’re a patient psycho freak and exactly who you want to raid with if you’re still learning

if you see a 1-6 you might have to be the patient one, but you might be pleasantly surprised.

if you see 7 through 9 they probably have the guns you hope they do and know how to do decently high-level poo poo

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

DancingShade posted:

I'm a day or two late but: Nice!

edit - had to jump into game to grab a screencap of mine:

Yes I lock it to 60 FPS because of thresher PTSD. Should probably unlock that sometime to see if it fixed.

What shader is that it's v nice.

PS Kith I'm pretty sure you lost the option to talk about being bad at the game when you posted your flawless legend avalon run.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I wish you could actively set yourself back down to Rank 1 because I could probably bottom out at Rank 4 barring refusing to do New Light and staying at 1.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I think it’s just supposed to be like… if you see a 10 or 11 you know this is a psycho freak who Ks WTD. if you see they have nice-person commendations you know they’re a patient psycho freak and exactly who you want to raid with if you’re still learning

if you see a 1-6 you might have to be the patient one, but you might be pleasantly surprised.

if you see 7 through 9 they probably have the guns you hope they do and know how to do decently high-level poo poo

Destiny players are such a varied amount of insane freaks and absolute loving idiots, that this theory of yours goes right out the window.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

First Frost, from season of the undying

PS Kith I'm pretty sure you lost the option to talk about being bad at the game when you posted your flawless legend avalon run.
legitimately forgot i did that. fair enough

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Uh... shader is "first frost" I think? I slap it on most of my stasis primaries. From long ago I forget how I got it.

-efb, didn't read down

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I'm sorry for posting a mee mee but this one was quite well done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q034RvoeFEg

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mazerunner posted:

I'm sorry for posting a mee mee but this one was quite well done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q034RvoeFEg

As a former titan main who mostly swapped to hunter later I empathised with both He-Man and Skeletor.

Sometimes the answer is to just roll with the dice of whatever the current season's buffs & nerfs are. I just came to hate doing melee stuff in any content that wasn't basic level difficulty.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I have finally hit 1800 in my casual scrubby play and want to start trying Nightfalls. My current build is Either Arc Titan with Skullfort or Bonk Solar w Synthoceps. Are there good general tips for nightfall play/are those viable builds when things start to get hairy?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Both of those are fine for the nightfalls you can do at 1800. At higher difficulty levels non-projectile melee becomes dicey just because the enemies can hit back so hard. For GMs you will probably want to lean towards the current meta just because the margin for error is that much thinner and your ability to recover from the poo poo hitting the fan is lessened

General nightfall tips? If you're specced for champions you are already better than a large chunk of the D2 player base, that's most of the difference between nightfalls and vanguard ops

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

LionYeti posted:

I have finally hit 1800 in my casual scrubby play and want to start trying Nightfalls. My current build is Either Arc Titan with Skullfort or Bonk Solar w Synthoceps. Are there good general tips for nightfall play/are those viable builds when things start to get hairy?

General tips for them is to inspect all the icons on the activity launch screen, and change out your weapons depending on the champion types and elemental surges (bonus damage to those elements). A specific weapon type may be overcharged, which is also a damage bonus. Nightfalls will also have an elemental threat, so equip an appropriate resistance mod in your chest for the threat, and for the other types of damage you'll be facing there. At the lowest level, it's not that much different from a strike; you're matchmade to teammates and your loadout isn't locked. At the higher difficulties, you need to make your own fireteam, and should coordinate your loadouts with them since your equipment is locked once you start.

At master and grandmaster level, survivability becomes much more important. You'll want high resilience, and a build that can handle enemies that don't die in a couple hits. Skullfort would run out of steam once they have enough health to not die in one shoulder charge. Stick with your teammates and use lots of cover.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Yeah thats what I was thinking, I finally figured out Bonk Titan last night. I just never died if I kept running and throwing the loving hammer.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

LionYeti posted:

Yeah thats what I was thinking, I finally figured out Bonk Titan last night. I just never died if I kept running and throwing the loving hammer.

If you want an amazing bonk build to work towards: Lorely Splendor helmet for even more never dying, Witherhoard with catalyst, Calus Minitool with Incandescent + Unrelenting(more never dying). High resil, high disc.

Ive used this build on some GMs and while soloing Spire of the Watcher and it is always my go to for hard content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Severance Enclosure is also real good on a bonkhammer build.