Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
https://twitter.com/Baddiel/status/1650461382372933634

Baddiel with his take on the Dianne Abbot controversy. It's behind an easily circumvented paywall.

He briefly mentioned the original article was about Jews and Travellers but then goes on to make his article all about how Jews don't count. He undermines his very point by that action. He re-enforces that there is a hierarchy and that prejudice against Jewish people in Britain is taken more seriously than against travelers, or other white minorities, and minorities in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ignore the voice of the idiot taking the video (he's an antivax covid denialist loon), but this is new and weird:

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1650452381216174081

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They should just train the cops to do a testudo around him at all times.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Sudan evacuation was really confusing for me at first because I could have sworn we did it two weeks ago but then I remembered I hate having to listen to the BBC special plead for our bunch of cunts in government/opposition so I watch NHK for lunchtime news and it was the Japanese government who evacuated their staff at the first sign of the unrest brewing.

At least their corrupt always-in-power semi-fascist government actually give a gently caress about not looking like incompetent boobs.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Ah the man who did the comedy TV show dressed in black face, explaining that the first black woman MP is the real racist.

Regardless of the impulse to be morally consistent about condemnations for racial slights. You gotta admit the disparity in outcome and scale based more on political divide than anything else, is producing some really strange outcomes.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
The thing with discussions about Racism on social media, or really any prejudice you care to name is everybody, no matter how they've suffered at the hands of any kind of hate, no matter how woke you consider yourself to be, none of us are clean. At the very least, even those who spend their lives being paragons of virtue still benefit from historical injustices that established the societal priviledges we benefit from. The battle against this stuff starts from listening to people that are speaking about their experiences and looking at ourselves, first.

You take a really important fight to social media like this and it becomes a whole thing about identifying your enemies first and pulling up their rap sheet and just hammering and hammering on that until nothing is learned and no-one benefits. This Diane Abbott thing is just the latest in a long line of similar fights and everyone involved in it is just adding to the endless churn until the next one comes along. It's depressing.

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 25, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Rupert Murdoch’s week just keeps getting worse

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/apr/25/prince-william-murdoch-phone-hacking-claims-court-filings-prince-harry

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Ignore the voice of the idiot taking the video (he's an antivax covid denialist loon), but this is new and weird:

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1650452381216174081

Yeah, listening to this guy in the video sort of reinforces why he needs all those coppers .

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
today I got an email from 3 telling me I owe them money, which was news to me because I haven’t had a phone with them for years and I’m sure I cancelled the contract at the time

unfortunately I can’t find anything in writing so am I just SOL? or is the fact that I literally haven’t used their services in ~5 years enough to void the contact?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Julio Cruz posted:

today I got an email from 3 telling me I owe them money, which was news to me because I haven’t had a phone with them for years and I’m sure I cancelled the contract at the time

unfortunately I can’t find anything in writing so am I just SOL? or is the fact that I literally haven’t used their services in ~5 years enough to void the contact?

Ask them what you owe them and from when. If it's from after you stopped using the phone you can probably tell them to gently caress off, but it might be sticky if you didn't actually cancel the contract.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

sebzilla posted:

Ask them what you owe them and from when. If it's from after you stopped using the phone you can probably tell them to gently caress off, but it might be sticky if you didn't actually cancel the contract.

I’m 99% sure I did but it would have been over the phone rather than by email, and their support is so loving bad it wouldn’t surprise me if they just didn’t

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Isomermaid posted:

At the very least, even those who spend their lives being paragons of virtue still benefit from historical injustices that established the societal priviledges we benefit from. The battle against this stuff starts from listening to people that are speaking about their experiences and looking at ourselves, first.
This is very true and important. It's also why I'm wary about how (as in that letter even) historical injustices always seem to come up rather than present experiences or material conditions.

I'm not suggesting ignoring history by this, because usually that history has a lot to do with the reasons behind the present experiences or material conditions, but when you just start talking about the transatlantic trade or Empire, you get a ton of the most disingenuous idiots responding with "but what about the burberry pirates Diane they kidnapped 8 billion whites and forced them to eat halal pizza Diane", whereas if you link it strongly to current material conditions then, well you still get the thousands of assholes because social media, but you also get to talk about a way forward together rather than just doing historical atrocity Top Trumps for media audiences.

That's also why I'm a bigger fan of Touré Reed's more materialist economic anti-discrimination ideas than any of the main US or UK talking points ones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SveyCYbXYWg

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Julio Cruz posted:

First question which I'm sure you've asked - is it a genuine email?

Secondly, I'm on 3 and instead of taking my DD for the past 18 months, they've been crediting my account so I am now nearly £300 in credit (apparently). I haven't asked for it to be reimbursed (as I know it is an error) and I am saving the money I should be paying in a separate account against the day they finally realize their mistake - every year when the contract price goes up, they just increase the amount they are crediting me with! Maybe they did something similar with you and just caught up?
I just dare not get involved with their customer services after a giant fiasco with them a couple of years ago when for neither love nor money could I sign in to their wretched website without creating a whole new email address and having their CS person on the end of the messenger chat for over an hour while he tried & tried to get me on to the site! My current contract with them expires in October so maybe they'll catch up then (and by now of course, my bank has removed the direct debit authorisation which they have a habit of doing if unused for 13 months without asking first which has put me in a slightly awkward position once before regarding a credit card DD when I was abroad). Their homehub broadband though has been absolutely excellent! In 4 years there has been one dodgy week and less than a handful of 'no internet' days and the speed is pretty good as a non-gamer for my purposes almost always. (80MB in theory but 40-50MB most of the time).

Thirdly, yeah try and do what Seb said.

Ed: Redacted my fourthly as apparently it would be fraud if done.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 26, 2023

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Julio Cruz posted:

I get an absolute ton of spam email/texts purporting to be from 3 (who I am actually with, as it happens). Some of the spam emails look pretty genuine with some of the links in the mail going to 3's real website, but the ones they actually want you to click going to the scammer's site. So I'm sure you are anyway, but be real careful if you follow any links.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/skwawkbox/status/1650863674280787970?s=20

Forensic

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure they'll be bailed out by Murdoch or whoever was feeding Starmer David Duke lines.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do enjoy how incredibly polemical skwawkbox is sometimes.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/DonahueRogers/status/1650861492173152260

I take it nobody here knows why he was suspended?

e: vvvv :five: ... loving hell. lol

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 25, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Starmer's just suspending all Brown MPs as a precaution.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/DonahueRogers/status/1650861492173152260

I take it nobody here knows why he was suspended?

Every now and then I get curious and do a bit of light googling but it's being kept *incredibly* quiet.

There were some rumours about rent boys years ago, and good old bullying is always a possibility for a whip. But it's very strange that there's not even been a hint of a whisper about it in nine months, given how leaky Westminster has been for literally every other suspended MP I can think of.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Liberty have released a big report on youth policing going forward.

Neither main party will give a poo poo, but it's good to see the suggestions and read the rationale behind them.

quote:

TODAY
  • End school exclusions and remove police from schools
  • End drugs policing
  • Dismantle harmful practices in traditional mental health systems
  • End cuts to youth services
  • End the practice of joint enterprise
  • End the practice of pre-crime policing
  • Make the Inquest system more truthful, just and accountable

TOMORROW
  • Build an emancipatory education system based on care and support, not discipline and punishment
  • Decriminalise all drugs and reinvest resources in trauma services, mental health counselling and harm reduction services
  • Build new structures of care and support for people experiencing mental health crises
  • Invest in safe, healing-centred and racially literate spaces for young people
  • Develop community-based solutions to harm that allow young people’s friendships, communities and cultures to flourish
  • Invest in and mobilise the expertise and knowledge of our communities to create holistic public services
  • Move away from policing as a response to social problems

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This popped up on my radar and needs to be shared wide:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

hope everybody has got their celebratory Coronation Oil

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

TACD posted:

Do you not want it to go smoothly?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Windsor Displacer 40

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

This is for the anointing I suppose , although chrism would be more traditional

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Holy poo poo, I hadn't realized I'd be in the UK during the coronation. Not sure my body can handle that.

Guavanaut posted:

Reminds me of the guardian article from a few years back saying Denmark doesn't have feminism and you can just wander around grabbing women's asses.

Keep Boris Johnson away from Denmark. Just in general but specifically in case he read that.
Our female PM has just announced she intends to implement forced labor for immigrant women, which I think makes us the most feminist nation in the world.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is for the anointing I suppose , although jism would be more traditional

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Indenture 👏 More 👏 Women 👏 Servants

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

TACD posted:

The archbishop of Canterbury will anoint his majesty with specially blessed wd40.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I watched the movie Tár in a plane yesterday and it occurred to me that you could totally make that movie about a UK broadsheet columnist instead, with the only difference being that at the end the entire industry would close ranks to make sure Tár didn’t face any significant career setback.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bank of england economist declares inflation to be moral failing, demands it stop happening

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Julio Cruz posted:

I’m 99% sure I did but it would have been over the phone rather than by email, and their support is so loving bad it wouldn’t surprise me if they just didn’t

OK, as others have said, your first action needs to be to verify the email. I would do this by phoning them.

Then, I would actually talk to them and make clear that you requested cancellation of the contract and that this is an error at their end. The customer service person you speak to won’t be able to clear your alleged debt themselves, but they absolutely can go out of their way to gently caress you over if you’re horrible to them.

They should escalate your complaint, and if they don’t immediately cancel the alleged money you owe, keep asking them to escalate the issue and for proof that the phone has been used at all in the time since you claim to have cancelled.

Eventually, someone with the power to do so will realise that the combined time and salary of all the people who have been involved amounts to more than the money they could get from you, and cancel it.

This isn’t based on any legal qualifications, but on customers who I have dealt with who cancel orders: eventually if they complain enough, the approval comes to me and I make sure they are refunded. I don’t work for Three, but every company I’ve ever dealt with has followed this exact model if there is ever any grey area about who is in the right.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Based and Huw-pilled

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

While yes it should be a criminal offence (and I would be surprised if it wasn't already) it's marvellous how that utterly fails to ask how the gently caress you would prosecute it.

Just write a law banning a thing, peak new labour brain.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Starmer's policy department:
https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1405874241514442754

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

A really simple question that people like Huw should be forced to answer is "Why shouldn't we just kill you?”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

finally, it's about time somebody did something about the bloody volleyball