Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

NTRabbit posted:

Training grounds in Ukraine? Aren't the bits they annexed super total officially Russia now, not Ukraine? :thunk:

They've probably packed 5 of them on a train to Belgorod or Rostov where they'll be driven by trailer to 10km from the border and filmed firing shots into Ukraine

Now now, they took the tank that was (at times almost) capable of idling and driving at 10 km/h on a flat paved road without catching fire EVERY TIME, slapped on some cardboard and sent it on its way. Anyone suggesting the dozen or so of them they have won't single-handedly win the illegal invasion of Ukraine special military operation must be a Nato troll!

E:

quote:

"The crew of three is seated in an armoured capsule in the front of the hull,[52] which will also include a toilet for the crew.[53]"

Good, maybe now you can stop stealing the ukrainians' loving toilets then.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

That's for celebrations of WW2 ending though.
Yes, but according to BBC, last year they closed it only from 4th until 9th. The year before, it wasn't closed at all.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dwesa posted:

Yes, but according to BBC, last year they closed it only from 4th until 9th. The year before, it wasn't closed at all.

It's almost like they've lost so many jackbooted skull thumpers that they don't think they can put down a red square protest without it turning into an out of control riot in front of the cameras

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Icept posted:

The end of that article is hilarious.

2300 tanks by 2020!

OK can't quite make that, stretch it to 2025!

*foreign intelligence estimates around 10 tanks in 2023*

they have 1955 tanks in 2023

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Philonius posted:

I was surprised to find that the replacement for the B2, the B-21 Raider, is further along than I thought. They're working towards first flight this year:

Same general shape, but I expect over 30 years of advancements make for quite a difference, under the hood.

Let's crowdfund one of the replaced B2's for Ukraine. We can call it the Ghost of Kyiv.

Where are the control surfaces? :psyduck:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Bluemillion posted:

it has stealth control

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Well there have been quite a few new fires reported...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1650528236567162883

I'm sure there were a bunch of reasons why Poland has a negative attitude towards russia but I can't put my finger on it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bluemillion posted:

Probably around the same places as on the B-2?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bluemillion posted:

Stored in the balls

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Dwesa posted:

The claim that Putin drinks horse cum is a disgusting lie, and the amounts allegedly drunk are also incorrect.

https://i.ylilauta.org/94/a1/94a161d43a58a62a.mp4

Obviously it's a lie. He's not drinking horse cum. He's spooning horse cum into his mouth

Like a gentleman

Some collected updates:

quote:

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov accused the United States and its allies of bringing the world to a “dangerous threshold.” In a speech at the U.N. Security Council in New York on Monday, Lavrov said the United States and the “collective West” are undermining global multilateralism by imposing their own rules on the rest of the world, and he criticized their support for Ukraine. At the same forum, U.N. Secretary General António Guterres said Russia’s war is inflicting massive devastation on Ukraine.

Paul Whelan’s sister demanded that the Kremlin free her brother. Speaking with the support of the U.S. delegation to the United Nations, Elizabeth Whelan, the detained American’s sister, said her brother has been wrongfully imprisoned in Russia since 2018 for “a crime he did not commit.” Paul Whelan, a former Marine, has been “held as a pawn and victim of Russia’s descent into lawlessness,” she added. Paul Whelan and Wall Street Journal reporter Evan Gershkovich were detained in Russia on espionage charges. U.S. officials have repeatedly disputed the accusations.

If Russia wins and Ukraine falls, Central Europe “may well be next,” wrote the leaders of Poland, Slovakia and the Czech Republic. In a letter published in Foreign Affairs, they appealed to the United States and other allies to continue support for Ukraine. Defeating Russia in Ukraine will reduce the chances that the United States and its allies have “to spill their own blood and further treasure later,” they added.

Sweden is expelling five Russian diplomats, the Foreign Ministry said in a statement. “Sweden has called up Russia’s ambassador ... and informed him that five people who are employed at the embassy have been asked to leave the country as a result of activities that are incompatible with the Vienna Convention on diplomatic relations,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement that was reported by Reuters. Swedish state television company SVT noted that the move had come after a joint investigation by Nordic reporters into Russian operations in the North Sea; earlier this month, Norway expelled 15 Russian diplomats.

Battlefield updates
A Russian missile attack in Kharkiv killed a museum employee, according to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. The strike on a history museum wounded at least 10 others, he said Tuesday. “There are still people under the rubble,” he said in a Telegram post. He accused Moscow of “doing everything to destroy us completely. Our history, our culture, our people. Killing Ukrainians with absolutely barbaric methods.”

Russia’s daily casualty count dropped in April, Britain’s Defense Ministry said in an intelligence update Tuesday. Russia’s average daily casualty rate has fallen by about 30 percent after “exceptionally heavy” casualties from January to March, it said. “Russia’s losses have highly likely reduced as their attempted winter offensive has failed to achieve its objectives, and Russian forces are now focused on preparing for anticipated Ukrainian offensive operations,” it added.

Global impact
Despite its own ongoing war, Ukraine evacuated 138 individuals from Sudan, where another conflict is now raging. Ukraine’s military intelligence agency announced the completed rescue operation on social media Tuesday. Officials evacuated 87 Ukrainian nationals to neighboring Egypt, they said, along with citizens of Georgia and Peru. Meanwhile, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters Tuesday “there is no decision yet on the evacuation of Russians from Sudan; various possibilities are being considered.” Russia’s mercenary Wagner Group has established close ties with Sudan’s security forces, The Washington Post has reported.

Pope Francis traveled to Hungary, with the Ukraine conflict on the agenda. The pontiff will leave Rome on Friday for a three-day trip to Ukraine’s western neighbor, where he is expected to address the war as well as migration and humanitarian issues in meetings with the country’s Catholic faithful and nationalist Prime Minister Viktor Orban. “It [also] will be a trip to the center of Europe, which continues to be battered by frigid winds of war, while the movement of so many people has put urgent humanitarian issues on the agenda,” he said ahead of the visit. Hungary, an E.U. member state, supports a sovereign Ukraine but has strong economic ties to Moscow and has refused to send weapons to Kyiv.

China’s Foreign Ministry said it respects the sovereignty of former Soviet states. The statement came after China’s ambassador to France, Lu Shaye, said on France’s LCI news channel last week that former members of the Soviet Union “don’t have actual status in international law because there is no international agreement to confirm their sovereign status.” European lawmakers urged France’s foreign minister to declare the Chinese ambassador persona non grata over his remarks. In an open letter published by Le Monde, the signatories called the comments a threat to the security of France’s European partners. China and Russia are close allies.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Solovyov apparently offered a job to Tucker Carlson.

https://twitter.com/VladaKnowlton/status/1650876333927596036

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Is exporting horse spunk into russia even illegal? Sanction it immediately. Or is it considered a red line?

No way they have enough domestic production. I heard putin eats the stuff a whole lot

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Play posted:

China’s Foreign Ministry said it respects the sovereignty of former Soviet states. The statement came after China’s ambassador to France, Lu Shaye, said on France’s LCI news channel last week that former members of the Soviet Union “don’t have actual status in international law because there is no international agreement to confirm their sovereign status.” European lawmakers urged France’s foreign minister to declare the Chinese ambassador persona non grata over his remarks. In an open letter published by Le Monde, the signatories called the comments a threat to the security of France’s European partners. China and Russia are close allies.

Sure, Ukraine is a former member of the Soviet Union... but so is Russia, the place where China just renamed a bunch of eastern cities on maps back to their original Chinese names. I'm sure they have nothing to worry about though!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As horrible as the prospect is, I have to admit some cackling portion of my lizard brain is absolutely salivating for a Chinese reconquista of Russia.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CommissarMega posted:

As horrible as the prospect is, I have to admit some cackling portion of my lizard brain is absolutely salivating for a Chinese reconquista of Russia.

No imperialism though! Just restoring historically Chinese lands.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Haishenwai was always Chinese.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Icochet posted:

Is exporting horse spunk into russia even illegal? Sanction it immediately. Or is it considered a red line?

No way they have enough domestic production. I heard putin eats the stuff a whole lot

I believe there are whole horse farms in Russia dedicated to producing horse cum for Putin to eat

IIRC Putin also has his doctor administer horse cum rectally several times a day with a syringe.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Sure, Ukraine is a former member of the Soviet Union... but so is Russia, the place where China just renamed a bunch of eastern cities on maps back to their original Chinese names. I'm sure they have nothing to worry about though!

Does anyone actually want to take Russian territory though? It seems like even Russia is trying to get out of Russia.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Can't wait for Ukraine to capture a T-14 and we all find out it was just a disguised IS-7 all along.

Would certainly explain why so few of the fuckers are ever seen at any one time.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Someone should try that Chinese Ambassador on the argument that if former Soviet countries belong to Russia because of the USSR, then Taiwan can rightfully claim China

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Someone should try that Chinese Ambassador on the argument that if former Soviet countries belong to Russia because of the USSR, then Taiwan can rightfully claim China

They do. Its Taiwan dropping its claim to china that would cause an immediate international incident.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
South Africa are pulling out of the ICC. Not that anyone reasonable imagined they'd rugby tackle Putin on the tarmac or anything, but what a limp-dick move.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

BRICS just filling up Putin's diaper day in and day out.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Does anyone actually want to take Russian territory though? It seems like even Russia is trying to get out of Russia.

Yes. They do. China needs lebensraum in the form of the Russian far East. These lands contain vast mineral wealth that have never been extracted to the extent that China could.

It may not be them putting this under Chinese sovereignty however soft power exists, and these areas could become hyperdependent on Beijing more so than Moscow for food, medical supplies etc.

In a future where Moscow cannot project power to the far East via rail transport Beijing will be able to fill that void. The regional commanders will need this to continue to exert their control over their oblasts. And in turn china gets that lovely debt repayment in the form of mining rights.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 25, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Disco Pope posted:

South Africa are pulling out of the ICC. Not that anyone reasonable imagined they'd rugby tackle Putin on the tarmac or anything, but what a limp-dick move.

looooooool now that's a weak-rear end move lmao

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
They've tried it before with Sudans old leader visiting but it got blocked in court.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
please stop referring to putin eating equine sperms and also his cancerous colon squarts inflating his rubber nappy

it says more about you than it does him

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

please stop referring to putin eating equine sperms and also his cancerous colon squarts inflating his rubber nappy

it says more about you than it does him

Maybe he should stop guzzling it then

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It is a pretty tired joke, to be honest. Please quit beating off that dead horse.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Tai posted:

They've tried it before with Sudans old leader visiting but it got blocked in court.

Yeah in 2017 iirc, but it was deemed unconstitutional in the courts.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Ukraine is attacking across the Dnipro :psyduck:

Brilliant move, Russia has relied entirely too heavily on the river itself as a natural barrier. It's got far fewer troops there than elsewhere

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

CommissarMega posted:

Russia's doctrine of deporting the native populace and moving their people in means that countries with human rights and minority protection laws don't actually want that territory back, because they don't want to inherit hundreds of thousands of Russians. China don't care and would likely either deport the current inhabitants back across the historical Russian border, or re-educate them a la the Uyghurs.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I am still very wary of a Russia-China war though and I have to imagine that openly seizing the Far Eastern territories including Russia's primary pacific port would result in a nuclear exchange. That's pretty much what nukes are for, to prevent yourself from getting annexed. I cannot see any circumstance in which Russia lets go of either Khabarovsk or Vladivostok. They are core Russian national interests at this point, it'd be like the US giving up Seattle when you take into account the military bases, geography, industries, population center, and shipping (not LA because that importance is reserved for St Petersburg lol)

Not guaranteed, as seen with India and Pakistan, but I don't really want to take that chance. Also this is firmly way out of left field at this point. China renaming things should be considered a troll for the time being.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 25, 2023

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
the nyet-dash line

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Disco Pope posted:

My country has been so embarrassing during this whole fracas. From abstaining during the initial UN sanctions votes to doing military exercises with Russia, it's just shameful.

We initially tried leaving the ICC in 2016 and I don't know if that was Putin trying to set things up for the invasion off the back of his boy getting into power in the US? Lord knows there was a lot of Russian interference and patronage to the ruling party here.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I know basically nothing of South Africa, how did they come to be involved in BRICS?

E: Reports of Russians using some sort of gas at Bakhmut

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3700386-russians-use-gas-against-afu-during-bakhmut-storming-military.html

UkrInform posted:

In the city of Bakhmut in Donetsk region, Russian troops are using gas of unknown origin against the Ukrainian Armed Forces. The most combat-ready units have been deployed around the city.
Military in Bakhmut said this to Radio Liberty correspondents, Ukrinform reports.

"The situation in Bakhmut is tense, numerous most combat-ready units have been deployed around the city. We have tied up them here, and they cannot move to other areas," said the deputy commander of the second rifle battalion of the 93rd Brigade, "Philosopher" call sign.

He added that Russian forces had built very smart defense and combat formations in Bakhmut, so the fighting was heavy. Russians are conducting offensive actions throughout the city at night and during the day, according to "Philosopher".

An air defense system operator who goes by the call sign "Bayraktar" said Russian troops are using an unknown gas against the Ukrainian Armed Forces.

"There are still high-rise buildings, and they are using gases here. Three days ago, they threw some bombs with specific gases. Some kind of chlorine. You are sitting in the basement and realise that you do not have enough air, it is difficult to breathe," the military said.

As reported, in Bakhmut, Ukrainian defenders are actively counterattacking in addition to defensive actions. This on April 24, the commander of the Land Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, Colonel General Oleksandr Syrsky said. According to the commander, the situation in the Bakhmut sector remains tense, with heavy fighting continuing. In several settlements near Bakhmut, the Russian offensive failed.

At the same time, the invaders do not abandon the goal of encircling Bakhmut and are using all possible forces and means to do so, up to the city's total destruction.

Also, the Ukrainian flag is flying on the left bank of the Dniper, dead center of the shot. Ukrainian forces are almost certainly across the river in some substantial capacity right now

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 25, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HonorableTB posted:

I am still very wary of a Russia-China war though and I have to imagine that openly seizing the Far Eastern territories including Russia's primary pacific port would result in a nuclear exchange. That's pretty much what nukes are for, to prevent yourself from getting annexed. I cannot see any circumstance in which Russia lets go of either Khabarovsk or Vladivostok. They are core Russian national interests at this point, it'd be like the US giving up Seattle when you take into account the military bases, geography, industries, population center, and shipping (not LA because that importance is reserved for St Petersburg lol)

Not guaranteed, as seen with India and Pakistan, but I don't really want to take that chance. Also this is firmly way out of left field at this point. China renaming things should be considered a troll for the time being.

Ehhh I don't think china is going to militarily advance on the far East. It's either Russia shatters into 3-7 pieces and one of those pieces gets puppeted and maintains sovereignty while china molds it onto it's sphere of influence via soft power.

So it's still Russia but with Chinese administrators, language schools and a focus on fueling Beijing instead of Moscow.

It's up in the air until Ukraine touches the sea of azov with tracked or wheeled vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Latest casualty counts are also indicative of major offensive activity. Hachi machi just take a look at the amount of logistics/support vehicles and artillery systems that got wrecked.

On an interesting note, I remember there being some discussion about how JDAMs would be used. I postulated that JDAMs would be used similarly to HIMARs but for stationary targets rather than mobile ones, and that seems to be how Ukraine is using theirs. In Bakhmut yesterday four JDAMs took out four Russian ammo depots. Those upgrades were worth every penny, they're basically Diet HIMARs

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 25, 2023