Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Ariamaki posted:

"drag chain over Dominating for about 2 seconds"

It's not even that for me. My team of Chef Greg, Chef Ryoshu, Shi Don (ditched Warp Don because I don't want to pay attention to charge), Tingtang Man + Rabbit (don't have Sinclair's stew) has not once had issues autoing through everything but the last fight, and that one has never given me trouble either (though yeah, that does require manual targeting).

I've just been casually clicking through this event on my phone whilst doing other stuff and I'm at 4500+ plushies atm. Doesn't feel too bad to me? Though I do agree the Event design is a bit bloaty and could be tightened in the future, since it doesn't seem ideal that I'm trying to actively minimize the amount of time I spend with the product :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ariamaki posted:

That's a decision you've made for yourself, not some immutable law of the universe.

Absolutely insane way to look at things lol. The variety of rewards makes it obvious they expect people to finish it.

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

It's too bad they're so against macros, that's a good way to deal with boring gacha events like this one. Though I'd think the easier one to macro would just be the first stage rather then the dungeon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just because you can choose not to finish it doesnt mean its okay for finishing it to be really grindy and boring lol

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Arzaac posted:

As far as grindable events go I think I would've preferred if there was just a daily mission to do the dungeon (that gives a ton of plushies of course)

As it is, though, I'm almost done. Got like 5 runs left I think?
Maybe a mission list that encourages you to do challenge runs? Get a bonus for bringing each individual Sinner into the dungeon, doing a run with only 0 IDs, doing a run with only Ryoshu/Gregor team members, beating the dungeon as a whole or just the boss in a certain number of turns etc etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That'd add a lot, I think. Or challenge bosses similar to the refraction railway that give a big one time dump of event currency for clearing them.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
Considering how much they improved the Luxcavation stuff I have to think they'll probably tone it down next time.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Absolutely insane way to look at things lol. The variety of rewards makes it obvious they expect people to finish it.

The only things from this event that actually matter, because they will be harder and more expensive to obtain after the event and affect the gameplay are the EGO and the Identity. And both of them are pretty early in the ladder. Everything else is either meaningless cosmetic stuff, or useful mats that the game has been showering the players with regardless of event.

The devs absolutely do not expect every single player to finish it, in the same vein they do not expect every single player to have the embellished banner from RR. I agree that the complaint about the event being grindy stands regardless, but if you got the Don EGO and are feeling that the grind is miserable, can't you just....stop? :shrug:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 25, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The Don ego is like 1/3 of the way through the rewards track (2000ish out of 6000) so just going for that doesn't really save you from the grind anyways.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The Don ego is like 1/3 of the way through the rewards track (2000ish out of 6000) so just going for that doesn't really save you from the grind anyways.

Except you're already way more than halfway to that point just from doing the full EX story clear up to the point that you unlock the grind.

Theantero posted:

It's not even that for me. My team of Chef Greg, Chef Ryoshu, Shi Don (ditched Warp Don because I don't want to pay attention to charge), Tingtang Man + Rabbit (don't have Sinclair's stew) has not once had issues autoing through everything but the last fight, and that one has never given me trouble either (though yeah, that does require manual targeting).

I've just been casually clicking through this event on my phone whilst doing other stuff and I'm at 4500+ plushies atm. Doesn't feel too bad to me? Though I do agree the Event design is a bit bloaty and could be tightened in the future, since it doesn't seem ideal that I'm trying to actively minimize the amount of time I spend with the product :v:

Yeah, I tend to play a little paranoid / hands on, so that's slowing me down: Currently running both Chefs, base Don, Blade Sinclair, and the Rabbit.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Oh? I guess I wasn't paying much attention to how high the first-time rewards were, I somehow thought there weren't any and you only got the normal stage-clear plushies.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Oh? I guess I wasn't paying much attention to how high the first-time rewards were, I somehow thought there weren't any and you only got the normal stage-clear plushies.

Yeah, it can be easy to miss: Here's the reward payouts from the very first stage of the event, on first-time clear. I didn't tally the entire thing but I know that by the time I got to the Spicy Dungeon I was well into the four-digit range, but definitely under 1,500.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ariamaki posted:

Except you're already way more than halfway to that point just from doing the full EX story clear up to the point that you unlock the grind.
What? I was barely even a quarter of the way to it when I got done with the story, I didn't even have Gregor.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And I mean, can't you complain that the grind is miserable after stopping? It feels really bad to have all those rewards the game is showing to you and telling you that you can get, having the time and desire to play the game, but the actual experience of playing the game being way too dull and tedious to want to do. That's a reasonable complaint.

Especially if you missed the mirror dungeons some weeks or took a break from the game between launch and now and thus weren't actually showered in mats.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I didn’t have any of the event bonus til after I EX cleared — I believe I ended up around 950 tokens.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I don't understand how speed interacts with clashes in this game.
I had a W Don with two actions, a Leap on the left (so it should be used first?) and a Rip Space on the right.
I used Leap to clash with the abno's 4-speed coin, and Rip space to clash with a 3-speed coin, thinking that by the time leap finished she would have enough charge from the Leap to hit 10.

Instead, uncharged rip space went off first, despite the fact that both it and the attack it was clashing with were supposed to be later in the turn order. Then Don failed her clash horribly and got instagibbed by Mr. Spiced Up.
Why did that happen? How can I tell which order clashes will resolve in?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Junpei posted:

Oh god, the idea of Don's perkiness being applied to heretic-smiting is going to be terrifying.

But... what german prefix is there left to attach to 'hammer'?

Hexenhammer, obviously.

Everyone else just thinking enhancements are heresy, Don thinking that moving mechanical parts are actually witchcraft and is enthusiastic about destroying them but for the entirely wrong reason seems perfectly in character as an idea.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 25, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I had a W Don with two actions, a Leap on the left (so it should be used first?) and a Rip Space on the right.
I used Leap to clash with the abno's 4-speed coin, and Rip space to clash with a 3-speed coin, thinking that by the time leap finished she would have enough charge from the Leap to hit 10.

Instead, uncharged rip space went off first, despite the fact that both it and the attack it was clashing with were supposed to be later in the turn order. Then Don failed her clash horribly and got instagibbed by Mr. Spiced Up.

If two parties clash, it happens at the time set by the faster party's speed.

I see W Don has 3-6 speed, so if she was faster in either clash, the clashes take place at her timings.

I assume you only brought four people to the final fight, though? That might be messing with the evaluation order. It does go from left-to-rightish in abnormality battles when you bring five people.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Assuming Don was the faster one in this scenario, both skills would have been triggering at her speed, at which point the tie breaker is the order you assigned them in. Most likely for whatever reason you assigned the Rip Space clash and then the Leap clash, so that's the order they triggered in.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
I myself am feeling it because this is happening alongside Granblue Fantasy's Guild War. Picture very much related

https://twitter.com/lawzanid/status/1649664815756091394?s=20

Grinding in one window and then grinding in another window I hope the next time around they pull the requirements back or increase the rewards per run.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This. Why are the only choices "enjoy it like it is, no critique" or "don't do it"? The rewards are good it's a better spread of rewards-to-energy than the dailies, and if it's in the game (any game for that matter) it's 100% up to the developers on how people experience it. I just wish I didn't have to do the dungeon 30+ times while having to pay attention as well.

Either have it at MD-tier attention and expect people to do it a lot for a full clear or ask of them some attention and care and in THAT case maybe dial the total clears back down a little. That's my point. It's having it require a whole bunch of clears AND I have to pay attention at the boss for the Nth time already even though I've already showed mastery by beating it a bunch and the dungeon is like super bland and same-y with there only being two unique events.

Bleh.

e.: put another way - I really enjoyed Refraction Railway! I had absolutely one of the worst turn totals if what's been posted in the thread is any indication but the fights were unique, they demanded I do well and it felt like my effort was both very well rewarded AND the game didn't take the piss by then turning around and saying "now do it a few more times again for good measure". I mean, obviously, hard content like that is ideally one-and-done, and I'm glad the devs agreed! Great content, really looking forwards to Line 2!

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 25, 2023

StuffyEvil
Nov 8, 2022

Poison sandwich tea party starts now
(art from @luingear on Twitter)
Yeah, sharing a lot of sentiments in regards to the grind.

Starting from Lifetime Stew Don at 2.2k Bongy, even with full 120% bonus it takes 20+ completions of the Hard Dungeon to reach 6k.

sevenflow posted:

Considering how much they improved the Luxcavation stuff I have to think they'll probably tone it down next time.

I am of the same opinion, since it's probably rather hard to make significant changes to the event while it's live.

Maybe they might make an announcement in regards to it later?

Would like some affirmation.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Mmm, thinking about it, between event prizes, battle pass and what I have I can probably get all I want. Around 100 boxes for N Sinclair if unlucky, like 25 for Gregor's EGO, maybe a bit more for Mersault and I could go all in on Don Quixote. Sadly can't get W Corp and Telepole at the same time.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I finished up the bongy grind last night and yeah it sucks rear end, challenge missions as mentioned upthread or event dailies would go a long way to make things feel better. lots of room for improvement lol. the amount of rewards feels very nice at least.

that said I didn't expect them to nail the balance right out of the gate and it's far from the worst event grind I've seen, so I'm looking forward to whatever improvements they make for the next one.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
I'm fine with people critiquing it but certain views make me think certain people failed to learn the lesson that Undertale strove to taught us: Just because something is there in a game doesn't mean you have to do it and in fact you might be worse off for doing so. Do what feels good, have fun, don't frustrate yourself.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

KobunFan posted:

I'm fine with people critiquing it but certain views make me think certain people failed to learn the lesson that Undertale strove to taught us: Just because something is there in a game doesn't mean you have to do it and in fact you might be worse off for doing so. Do what feels good, have fun, don't frustrate yourself.

Eh, some people want to accomplish things and get 100%. I can see why they would be annoyed with the mindless grind to get to that 100%.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

KobunFan posted:

the lessons that undertale taught us are that killing npcs will unlock the coolest boss fights, and that undertale fans are annoying. not applicable here

*edit* like drat you guys understand that making the grind less god-awful boring and smoother to complete is good for the continued health of the game, right? you don't want the whole playerbase groaning and rolling their eyes every time you release new content because we gotta do 40 braindead MD runs to get a cool banner lmao. just make it less poo poo, it's not that deep!

YES bread fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 26, 2023

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

DropTheAnvil posted:

Eh, some people want to accomplish things and get 100%. I can see why they would be annoyed with the mindless grind to get to that 100%.

And that's alright, I guess. I just wanted to mention my point of view.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The grind could and most likely will be better, because I believe in the playerbase yelling at PM to make it so, but doing Literally Everything in a gacha game event is not something I go out of my way to do even in the ones that I still play and like because if it sucks, I simply don't do it.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
Considering PM history with its fanbase, it's likely that they tune it along the way. This is after all their first gacha game and for what I've seen, it's a pretty solid start and could outshine (If they don't already) some of its competitor if the quality is kept through out the year.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Finished off refraction railway to get a boost to my extraction to hopefully finally get chef Ryoshu. Got her on my 10 ticket woo. Then, "oh wait, the guaranteed 000 deca ticket is a separate panel". Use the 000 ticket and... two repeat 000s. Including... chef Ryoshu...

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Finally finished getting everything from the event. Wasn't the worst, honestly, I basically just did some dungeon runs whenever I was otherwise watching a show and I ended up blazing through it. Probably helps that I managed to snag both Chef Ryoshu and Sinclair's Stew. Definitely hope they tone it down for next event, because I don't love that.

Anyways, now to get back to Railway! I think I'll have a much easier time of it now, I've acquired G Gregor, Chef Ryoshu, and Bunny Heathcliff since then.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

I did a 10 pull on the event and the chain screen showed 3 000s, got all excited thinking I got the chef ID and maybe the ego... Got 3 chef ids.

Still no N Faust tho :/

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

KobunFan posted:

(new) XCom devs had a different perspective: if you do not account for it, players will optimize the fun out of your game and it's not really their fault for doing it. You cannot blame players for behaviors and goals that the game design itself presents as potentially optimal or desirable, you make sure that what's desirable and optimal is fun and engaging rather than dull and monotonous (or worse in the case of multiplayer games, toxic).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KobunFan posted:

but people are saying 'there's a way to make this feel good, or at least better, they should do that' not 'i am forced to play this by the devs and i hate myself for it every day'

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
If you cap the grind, some players will complain that there's not enough content
If you put more effort in adding more variety to the grind, you'll end up spending time that could be used to make more content, and people will complain there's not enough content
If you make difficult story content, you risk locking people out of the story and/or complaining that it's p2w
If you make the grind too long, people will complain about the tedium

I think it's just an inherent problem of any game which encourages people to log in every day. But since they decided to make a gacha, I think that putting the missable reward roughly 1/3-1/4 of the way through the grind, while making the grind after that slightly better than doing existing content after the weekly/daily bonuses, was a good compromise. I'm annoyed that I'll be missing out on getting enough tickets to do another 10-pull, but I don't think I can tolerate running this dungeon anymore, especially with the weekly reset coming up

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

posadas posted:

If you cap the grind, some players will complain that there's not enough content
If you put more effort in adding more variety to the grind, you'll end up spending time that could be used to make more content, and people will complain there's not enough content
If you make difficult story content, you risk locking people out of the story and/or complaining that it's p2w
If you make the grind too long, people will complain about the tedium

I think it's just an inherent problem of any game which encourages people to log in every day. But since they decided to make a gacha, I think that putting the missable reward roughly 1/3-1/4 of the way through the grind, while making the grind after that slightly better than doing existing content after the weekly/daily bonuses, was a good compromise. I'm annoyed that I'll be missing out on getting enough tickets to do another 10-pull, but I don't think I can tolerate running this dungeon anymore, especially with the weekly reset coming up
The thing is, coming up with systems to add variety to the event grind is an important part of making a gacha game, and is an investment in the future. Take FGO for example - in even that basic-bitch gacha dinosaur, most events can be categorized into three rough types. You've got mission events where there's a list of 100 missions that you need to complete to advance the story (which range from killing certain types of enemies, clearing challenge stages, raising the event welfare unit etc etc), you've got lottery events where you grind for currency used to buy rolls in an event gacha that dispenses loot, and you've got standard events where you grind for three different event currencies - a bronze, a silver and a gold - which you use to buy both loot and special equipment that boosts drop rates.

These three event structures have basically been around from the start of the game and ensure that even basic events are at least somewhat interesting to grind out, and rotating between them ensures that even events with zero effort don't get repetitive and players remain engaged. Furthermore they can be used as a foundation for more complicated events - for example, an event that combines the basic principles of the mission type event and the standard type event to grind currencies that let you build structures that unlock new content.

At the very least, it needs to be something more substantial than "run this dungeon 30+ times." If every event is as much of a fun vampire as this one was I can't see this game having much of a future outside of story content drops.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

posadas posted:

I think it's just an inherent problem of any game which encourages people to log in every day. But since they decided to make a gacha
there are a lot of gacha games that dont really have these problems. like grinding an event is never the highlight of my week but plenty of games do it better than this

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
The main thing I'd point to right now is the importance of variety in your grind. And yes, having multiple event currencies helps with that in FGO, but the real source of variety there is that well-designed events are structured in a way where you're grinding at A for a few days, then grinding at B, then grinding at C until you have everything you care about. Compare that to this event, where you're just grinding one node from the start of the grind to when you finally stop and the final boss is just hard enough that you can't really diverge from your best team comp/approach to the mirror dungeon once you figure it out. It's just a very monotonous grind if you're the kind of person who needs to pay attention to the game when you're grinding.

And again, I do have faith that future events will be better about this. At the very least, it's so much easier to have a variety of content when you have more content in the game in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Huh, y'all are really comparing FGO favorably to this? I don't really mind the grind here to the point I am still kinda enjoying running the dungeons and I thought that the main reason for that was that I was used to various FGO grinds that were almost uniformly worse.