Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

All sports fans are bad. More so when their team wins. Even more so when their team is the darlings of the national media so instead of just regular local sports radio poisoning their brains they’ve got Doris Burke gushing over excellence and JJ Reddick arguing that the Warriors aren’t getting a fair break from the refs. Same poo poo happened with Patriots fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

temple posted:

GSW getting KD deserves some of the criticism that Lebron got for going to Miami. Strangely, KD gets all the blame. Then, he gets blamed for Brooklyn when they didn't even win poo poo.
KD was going to a team that already had a championship notch on its belt, and had the previous year set the all-time single season wins record. This was only made possible by a salary cap anomaly, and Durant caled it "the hardest road." It wasn't the same as going to Brooklyn or Miami to partner with other stars and try to build a new powerhouse, or anything else really since I've been following the NBA

Dexo posted:

Klay just wants to talk poo poo and get high.
https://uproxx.com/dimemag/klay-thompson-no-recreational-marijuana/

steph being a nimby is a good new reason to hate him because before that it was just "ew hes gross with his mouthguard" which was really weak. Sports is a place where being a nepo baby can give you opportunities others don't get, but you can't fake being good at basketball

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Fast Luck posted:

KD was going to a team that already had a championship notch on its belt, and had the previous year set the all-time single season wins record. This was only made possible by a salary cap anomaly, and Durant caled it "the hardest road." It wasn't the same as going to Brooklyn or Miami to partner with other stars and try to build a new powerhouse, or anything else really since I've been following the NBA

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/klay-thompson-no-recreational-marijuana/

steph being a nimby is a good new reason to hate him because before that it was just "ew hes gross with his mouthguard" which was really weak. Sports is a place where being a nepo baby can give you opportunities others don't get, but you can't fake being good at basketball

lol Klay was extremely full of poo poo when he said that.

dude was arrested and suspended for weed in college.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

One criticism of Steph I've been seeing a lot recently that I don't get is nepotism charges. Like, some player or coach's marginal kid might get a shot in the league due to their name, but it's not like Steph (or Klay for that matter ) is Austin Rivers (or Damion Lee). Did he have more advantages in training/resources than Jimmy Butler? Absolutely, but they don't hand out MVPs and All-Star selections based on your father's name.

He's living proof that life is just unfair.

lol I've never seen someone make that argument but it's a fun one to imagine. He's such a nepo case that he couldn't even get a scholarship at the school whose only notable player in history is his dad. He had to carry a liberal arts college to the elite eight to get noticed.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Coaaab posted:

ngl, anything that ever happened after 9/11 feels like recent history to me

pre-Bubble and post-Bubble for me

edit: basketball

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
if the suns win the finals this year it's not going to count because mercenary ring-hunter kevin durant forced his way to the team

Henchman of Santa posted:

lol I've never seen someone make that argument but it's a fun one to imagine. He's such a nepo case that he couldn't even get a scholarship at the school whose only notable player in history is his dad. He had to carry a liberal arts college to the elite eight to get noticed.

his dad gifted him elite 3 point shooting, handles, passing and off ball movement.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Ammanas posted:

if the suns win the finals this year it's not going to count because mercenary ring-hunter kevin durant forced his way to the team

Nobody cares about that, the bullshit was that one team one time got to sign a generational talent with 0 trade offs

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1650881958543589376

Pour one out for the NBA's lovely declining ratings that all the hacks like to say is happening.

we need more NBA on broadcast TV. the next TV contract is gonna be nuts if NBC gets in the game

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

i am a moron posted:

Nobody cares about that, the bullshit was that one team one time got to sign a generational talent with 0 trade offs

wow its almost like haters cherry pick and make up bullshit to get mad about

Stevie Lee posted:

we need more NBA on broadcast TV. the next TV contract is gonna be nuts if NBC gets in the game

hard agree, locking the nba up in cable jail is a huge mistake that closes the door for a huge audience

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
The cap spike was made up?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

As discussed in previous correspondence, I challenged Dell Curry to play pop-a-shot at the Queensway Silver City in 2002. He said no and instead played with his son. If not for that formative moment who knows how Steph's career unfolds. You're welcome Golden State.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

BWV posted:

As discussed in previous correspondence, I challenged Dell Curry to play pop-a-shot at the Queensway Silver City in 2002. He said no and instead played with his son. If not for that formative moment who knows how Steph's career unfolds. You're welcome Golden State.

that son's name, was lebron stephen james jr

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Stevie Lee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-uSWAJd9GE

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

i am a moron posted:

Harrison Barnes erasure.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

fart simpson posted:

yikes, i wouldn’t want a “tryhard” on my favorite professional sports team!

Hahaha

As for daltos saying that Draymond Green was historically overrated as a defender, I think being an incredible switch defender and smallball 5 for some of most dominant 5 man groups in a generation is enough.

You could argue that Rudy Gobert had much more game by game impact on an elite defense, but Draymond made playoff winning poo poo work and Rudy's solid rim protection didn't matter when everyone was elite

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Harrison Barnes angling for a max made the choice to dump him for Durant really easy.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Harrison Barnes could be free at that point and the calculus wouldn’t change

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

i am a moron posted:

The Cleveland cavaliers vanquished the ny knicks and are going to do it again to the lamentations of the NY fans then close the series out at home like true champs do

Hows that going

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the noble warriors posters couldnt handle the 3-1 jokes and then definitely could not handle the kd rudeness. there are less of them now cause theres less of everybody and it makes me very sad. lebron james

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Tae posted:

Hows that going

I didn’t hear no bell

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

i am a moron posted:

Harrison Barnes could be free at that point and the calculus wouldn’t change

He was really good for the Warriors! I mean, its not a choice between him and Kevin Durant, but Barnes was one of those first good-version combo forwards that was really successful defending wings and bigs.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Lockback posted:

He was really good for the Warriors! I mean, its not a choice between him and Kevin Durant, but Barnes was one of those first good-version combo forwards that was really successful defending wings and bigs.

Yeah, his tenure with the team was what made me really bullish on the Wiggins trade. People were saying "he's just Harrison Barnes 2.0," and I'm thinking "Yeah...the guy who was a big part of the Warriors going 73-9?"

Wiggins turning out to be the rich man's Harrison Barnes is just icing on the cake.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
If I needed a team to play defense, I would pick Draymond over Gobert a million times, there's no comparison

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Fast Luck posted:

It sucks KD forced his way on to their team, against their will.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Klay went off the charts on the loser scale with his four rings thing this year. He gives off a crazy prep school vibe.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It is wild that in general LeBron and AD don't take charges but have each taken a Ja attempt at murder via dunk so far. My theory is that he's so fast they don't even have time to make the business decision to get out of the way.

Lockback posted:

Lebron is the same age as MJ was when he joined the Wizards. Insane.

He's a good prospect but top-20 is really pushing it. He's a hard nosed defender with secondary playmaking skills. That's a 2nd rounder or maybe late-late first if a good team has a need. If he can get his shots off better in college and his dribble-drive game translates then we can talk top-20, but I wouldn't just assume that will happen.

I dunno, I don't do high school scouting but it seems people who do are pretty consistently putting him in the 10-20 range now; Avery Bradley/Mo Williams 2.0 isn't an ideal pick but it's an NBA starter. It probably helps him that a lot of scouts are calling for an absurdly bad draft now that it's not going to be the fabled double draft. Personally my hope is that draft is just underscouted rather than the players are underdeveloped due to covid.

TDepressionEarl posted:

:justpost: philosophy, similar to just shoot. No such thing as a bad shot, no such thing as a bad post.

No need to swear. Hating the nepo rich kids is fair. We just got luckier drafting, sure didn't happen in the 90s.

We still like Durant. He made his shots from his spots. Plays two ways. Plays multiple positions. Wants to win. Why didn't your team want to win enough that Durant was convinced to join?

I like your posts.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

temple posted:

It sucks KD forced his way on to their team, against their will.
That signing being possible was historically weird and took the warriors into a new completely unrootable phase when prior to that they were much more likable, they were dominant but formed completely organically and then basically went cheat code mode, that’s my point. I don’t get your point, like you think I’m saying the evil Kevin Durant forced his way onto the team? Why would I be saying that?

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

That signing being possible was historically weird and took the warriors into a new completely unrootable phase when prior to that they were much more likable, they were dominant but formed completely organically and then basically went cheat code mode, that’s my point. I don’t get your point, like you think I’m saying the evil Kevin Durant forced his way onto the team? Why would I be saying that?

you wrote it in the form "[player] did this in this situation, but in these other situations [team 1] or [team 2] did this" and thats a pretty transparent way to spin things generally. you shouldn't be surprised people caught it?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I said “going to GSW” was different than “going to Miami or Brooklyn.” seems like the same language... I was also describing in detail how good the team he joined already was, as opposed to the other situations being new teams, and talking about how the salary cap spike made this weird thing possible. Do you disagree with any of that? didnt realize people would read these things into that post, I guess if I were to speak completely detached and neutrally to avoid misinterpretation I would be saying "the addition of Kevin Durant to the Warriors was a one-of-a-kind event taking an already historically winning team to an unprecedented level, which I found unlikable" or something along those lines.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 25, 2023

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm giving techs to everyone who used nimby unironically today

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Fast Luck posted:

I'm being sarcastic about KD forcing his way on the team. They both agreed and benefited from it but KD took all the criticism, even today.
Bill Simmons did a "defense of KD" pod and Bill is a dumb rear end but he make some good points about that trade.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

I dunno, I don't do high school scouting but it seems people who do are pretty consistently putting him in the 10-20 range now; Avery Bradley/Mo Williams 2.0 isn't an ideal pick but it's an NBA starter. It probably helps him that a lot of scouts are calling for an absurdly bad draft now that it's not going to be the fabled double draft. Personally my hope is that draft is just underscouted rather than the players are underdeveloped due to covid.

I think people are putting him there because of the boost he's going to get for being Lebron's son (and for maybe getting Lebron to tag along). He's a legit NBA prospect but the point is he'd ACTUALLY be 10-20 spots lower if he came from a different family. I mean he's a 6'3 guy who doesn't have an elite shot or elite penetration and probably isn't a primary PG. He's not Mo Williams in terms of play making. Avery Bradley(outside of his outlier good years)/Austin Rivers is probably a better comparison, which are NBA players.. The draft does look weak but I think, again ignoring his name, most teams would rather swing for the fences on a prospect with size and athleticism in the mid-late lottery or even early out-of-lottery.

College games will change things though. If his shot starts falling or if he is able to score against college defenses then I think he becomes a lot more interesting and could be a legit top-10 guy. And he has a good shot at that given his pedigree and the fact that he's been actively trained to go against the best defenses since he was a kid. But right now I think anyone who is putting him that high based on high school is factoring in the family stuff.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

temple posted:

I'm being sarcastic about KD forcing his way on the team. They both agreed and benefited from it but KD took all the criticism, even today.
Bill Simmons did a "defense of KD" pod and Bill is a dumb rear end but he make some good points about that trade.
The funny thing is they very likely do lose to LeBron again without KD, but they (and by "they" I guess I mean all the fans and also Draymond) always treated him like a tourist who wasn't a True Golden State Warrior. And Draymond was the one who recruited him!

and then they won again after he left :|

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i dont think the warriors lose to lebron again without kd because it would probably have been the KD thunder in the finals and they would have been favored to win lol. just another reason kevin durant being a huge bitch is settled Basketball Law

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Metapod posted:

I'm giving techs to everyone who used nimby unironically today

Why?

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-02-03/nba-star-steph-curry-fights-affordable-housing-atherton

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think if the Warriors get past the Kings they'd be favored if it was against the Lakers. The Lakers are playing well but they're also a great matchup against Memphis and Memphis is kinda reeling anyway. This means the Warriors will be in the WCF (where I think they'd get rolled by Denver).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

JackBandit posted:

Klay went off the charts on the loser scale with his four rings thing this year. He gives off a crazy prep school vibe.

When it comes to poo poo talking everything is fair game lol.

If I'm getting my rear end beat in a game or sport you are drat sure gonna hear about my previous successes against you or in life in general.

Lockback posted:

I think people are putting him there because of the boost he's going to get for being Lebron's son (and for maybe getting Lebron to tag along). He's a legit NBA prospect but the point is he'd ACTUALLY be 10-20 spots lower if he came from a different family. I mean he's a 6'3 guy who doesn't have an elite shot or elite penetration and probably isn't a primary PG. He's not Mo Williams in terms of play making. Avery Bradley(outside of his outlier good years)/Austin Rivers is probably a better comparison, which are NBA players.. The draft does look weak but I think, again ignoring his name, most teams would rather swing for the fences on a prospect with size and athleticism in the mid-late lottery or even early out-of-lottery.

College games will change things though. If his shot starts falling or if he is able to score against college defenses then I think he becomes a lot more interesting and could be a legit top-10 guy. And he has a good shot at that given his pedigree and the fact that he's been actively trained to go against the best defenses since he was a kid. But right now I think anyone who is putting him that high based on high school is factoring in the family stuff.

I'm not the greatest scout, I'm sure others have better eyes than me, but when I watched him play, I see, shorter Lonzo Ball(player Lonzo turned himself into in the league), he seems to have like pretty good instincts and Basketball IQ™, his shot has been getting better.

I don't ever see him as a primary ball handler unless he has a bag that he has never shown in high school.

But yeah you could probably make a worse decision late lottery/mid-first round

Essentially Lebron's son is close to the perfect type of role player guard that Lebron can play well with lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lockback posted:

I think if the Warriors get past the Kings they'd be favored if it was against the Lakers. The Lakers are playing well but they're also a great matchup against Memphis and Memphis is kinda reeling anyway. This means the Warriors will be in the WCF (where I think they'd get rolled by Denver).

Let's see some Suns-Nuggets games before we start talking about the Nuggets breezing their way to the finals.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Peak dubs forum chat was We Believe and 2013 playoff run when Steph did the no look 3 vs Denver and they took the spurs to 6.

In both of those cases 90% of posters (including Foochs, no matter what he says :laugh: ) were pro dubs and we were all one big happy family against the evil competition :argh:

There was once a time, believe it or not, when everyone loved Draymond Green. Tell it to kids nowadays and they won't believe you!

TheKevman fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Equating KD to the Suns as being anywhere close to the same level of league breaking as KD to the Warriors is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.