Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I like the redesign Daleks because one of them is supposedly super extra special and has a fancy special name and everything but it never comes up at all. I think it's the yellow one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Dalek Eternal! :stare:

Also, I appreciate the plan was to have different arms/attachments come out of the panel on the back of them (which is why they’re covered in grooves to slide them around) and that never ever gets used either.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The New Paradigm Daleks could've been a big deal if Victory of the Daleks wasn't so utterly forgettable.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I don't think it's the quality of the story so much as devoting a huge chunk of that story to introducing a new design for a monster that's... pretty much unchanged since the 60s. The very first Dalek design is very similar to how they look in 1989 to how they look in 2005 (the two big differences there being the thingies on the dome and putting a light in the eyestalk, both of which I think are pretty effective). They nailed it the first go around. Compare to the Cybermen, who have been reimagined like a dozen times with little fanfare, and with the exception of the OG Mondasian Cybermen which are basically their own thing at this point, I think each go around they do get a little better.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

For me, the biggest issue with the Dalek redesign was:

1) The "neck" section looked like the accordion part of a bendy straw
2) The base beneath the skirt was way too high and way too round. If it was half the height and came to a point, it'd look a whole lot better.

I think my favorite comment from Moffat and/or Gatiss was that these Daleks were meant to look "sharp". I think the quote was "they look like if you'd touch them, you'd get cut."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

8th Doctor: All living beings have values, nobody is beyond redemption.
Frank walks into Paddy's

I'd love this crossover for so many reasons but I'd also be interested in a story of somebody beyond redemption but I guess Doctor already can't reach that point with the Master or plenty of other eat bastards so probably nothing there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

I think my favorite comment from Moffat and/or Gatiss was that these Daleks were meant to look "sharp". I think the quote was "they look like if you'd touch them, you'd get cut."

Which is hilarious because they look like balloons.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Rochallor posted:

I don't think it's the quality of the story so much as devoting a huge chunk of that story to introducing a new design for a monster that's... pretty much unchanged since the 60s. The very first Dalek design is very similar to how they look in 1989 to how they look in 2005 (the two big differences there being the thingies on the dome and putting a light in the eyestalk, both of which I think are pretty effective). They nailed it the first go around. Compare to the Cybermen, who have been reimagined like a dozen times with little fanfare, and with the exception of the OG Mondasian Cybermen which are basically their own thing at this point, I think each go around they do get a little better.

disagree but only because the mondasian cybermen voices are amazing and I wish they'd kept that weird inflection style with all of them. just a little kick that keeps them unique from "another killer robot species"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Also, I appreciate the plan was to have different arms/attachments come out of the panel on the back of them (which is why they’re covered in grooves to slide them around) and that never ever gets used either.

Everybody thinks they can redesign the Daleks and it never sticks. How many special weapons Daleks have you seen lately?

(I liked the iDaleks...)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How about a normal Dalek but it's covered in human skin and hair. Does this make them scarier?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

My theory is that someone actually pulled Moffat to the side and pointed out that having the Daleks be represented as a rainbow line up could result in the wrong types picking it up as symbolism.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Khanstant posted:

How about a normal Dalek but it's covered in human skin and hair. Does this make them scarier?

EX-FOL-IATE!
EX-FO-LI-ATE!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

My theory is that someone actually pulled Moffat to the side and pointed out that having the Daleks be represented as a rainbow line up could result in the wrong types picking it up as symbolism.

RTD would have intentionally done a proper rainbow if they’d told him that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The pepperpot design is iconic and all but it gets enough people laughing at them without also making them hunchbacked power rangers

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Random Stranger posted:

Everybody thinks they can redesign the Daleks and it never sticks. How many special weapons Daleks have you seen lately?

(I liked the iDaleks...)

there's a few in the background of the later dalek episodes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIfrEMhtu2o

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 26, 2023

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I think it was Asylum of the Daleks they had a bunch of older ones including the heavy weapons one in the background then after that the older ones just started popping up here and there in group shots.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

alexandriao posted:

disagree but only because the mondasian cybermen voices are amazing and I wish they'd kept that weird inflection style with all of them. just a little kick that keeps them unique from "another killer robot species"

Oh I'm pro Modasian Cybermen for sure if that was unclear. Not only the voices, but the way their mouth open when they start talking and close when they finish, it's so perfectly almost human. The closer to human design is better, but as far as big hulking robot Cyberman goes, I think they've gradually gotten better throughout the years.

The perfect Cyberman design is, of course, the Borg from Star Trek and it bugs me that Star Trek got there first.

Boxturret posted:

I think it was Asylum of the Daleks they had a bunch of older ones including the heavy weapons one in the background then after that the older ones just started popping up here and there in group shots.

IIRC when the heavy weapons Dalek first showed up in Asylum it was the original, and sole, prop from Remembrance, so they couldn't do anything much with it since it might fall apart on account of being 25 years old and made out of probably spray paint and hope. I imagine that's why a lot of them were just aimlessly drifting in the back of the shots. Pretty sure they built new classic Daleks for Series 9.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Love the Mondasian Cybermen, and I think the Big Finish version of their voices combining the original voice with the slightly buzzing modulation of their later Troughton appearances was pitch perfect.

It made sense that the 2nd part of Capaldi's Cybermen 2-parter brought the "modern" Cybermen back into the mix but I was sad to see them shift away from the unsettling body horror/terror that is the OG Mondasian look.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I minded the new paradigm Daleks less than the aesthetics of the Dalek ship in Victory. I have to think the budget ran out and they filmed it in a basement somewhere.

There were loving AC ducts in the ceiling, and not even the kind you could crawl into and escape

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rochallor posted:

The perfect Cyberman design is, of course, the Borg from Star Trek and it bugs me that Star Trek got there first.

I remember reasoning as a kid that the Cybermen looked like the Borg under the silver suits.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Rochallor posted:

IIRC when the heavy weapons Dalek first showed up in Asylum it was the original, and sole, prop from Remembrance, so they couldn't do anything much with it since it might fall apart on account of being 25 years old and made out of probably spray paint and hope. I imagine that's why a lot of them were just aimlessly drifting in the back of the shots. Pretty sure they built new classic Daleks for Series 9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAeqxp0SAbM

Sorta related but good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfuxlNCEQo

The_Doctor posted:

I remember reasoning as a kid that the Cybermen looked like the Borg under the silver suits.

"Increasingly shambolic corpses that won't die getting more and more robot parts as what made them human is reduced to an unheard scream" is a way better concept than the "Daleks but with legs" they became.

BooDooBoo fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 26, 2023

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif
quote isn't edit.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

BooDooBoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAeqxp0SAbM

Sorta related but good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfuxlNCEQo

"Increasingly shambolic corpses that won't die getting more and more robot parts as what made them human is reduced to an unheard scream" is a way better concept than the "Daleks but with legs" they became.

Thanks, that was really interesting. I always forget how much prop designers were able to get away with knowing they were shooting on video that would hide a lot of the more obvious imperfections.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
In case anyone was wondering if the Borg were 'inspired' by the cybermen, note that the first ever Borg episode was called 'Q Who?'.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Unkempt posted:

In case anyone was wondering if the Borg were 'inspired' by the cybermen, note that the first ever Borg episode was called 'Q Who?'.

They were originally going to be an insect hive mind, and got changed to cyborgs for budget reasons; in addition, there's a lot more proximate American inspiration, like Captain Power.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Well, I'm struggling to think of any other reason for naming the episode that. Maybe the name was a last minute thing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Unkempt posted:

Well, I'm struggling to think of any other reason for naming the episode that. Maybe the name was a last minute thing.

It rhymes, it's not like "Hide and Q" or "Deja Q" make much sense with the episodes.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

lol Nekromanteia is on the spotify audiobook list https://open.spotify.com/playlist/70puLQMZjSNX1ipuffssbp?si=897a061dab1d45b5

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve been watching Pluto tv’s Classic Who channel and they’ve been going through the Davison/C.Bakes era, and it’s always surprising how gritty some of the stories are, despite the cheap sets. Stuff like Vengeance on Varos has a real ‘you’ve come to hell, and you’re all going to suffer’ feeling to it. No one comes out well.

You really get a sense of them being influenced by things like 2000 AD and written UK SF and that creeping in as much as a family adventure serial would allow.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

You really get a sense of them being influenced by things like 2000 AD and written UK SF and that creeping in as much as a family adventure serial would allow.

See, I'd argue that was coming in more around the last two years of McCoy's era, when Andrew Cartmel was the script editor (I believe it was him who advised incoming new writers for the show to read stuff like Alan Moore's "Ballad of Halo Jones" and so forth). A lot of the Colin Baker-era stuff was, IIRC, written by people who were already experienced writers for TV (or ghostwritten by Eric Saward, in at least one case). Older British SF would likely have been an influence on them, but I would think it unlikely that they were reading 2000 AD at the time, as it was generally marketed towards kids (though I'm sure some of the older British comic mags from the 1950s and 1960s likely had some influence). I'd say it it was primarily the loosening of standards as to what could or couldn't be shown on TV that was most likely influencing the DW writers of the C. Baker era (as well as the gritty crime drama movie and TV show imports from the US) in terms of depicting violent scenes.

E: I should add that 2000 AD being "marketed towards kids" is not the same as "written for kids". In the mid-1980s, my local comic shop here in the US got a load of the original "newspaper print" format 2000 AD comics (likely from someone's private collection, or some such), and as a teen who was well on their way to becoming an Anglophile due to DW (and Monty Python, and Blackadder, etc. etc.), I snagged them up as soon as I could. Sadly they've been lost to the mists of time (and various moves at different times over the years). I think the earliest issue I had would've been from around 1982 or maybe 1983, but I do recall having some fairly contemporaneous issues as well; I remember reading some of the early Zenith stories by Grant Morrison in my collection. And Zenith and other stuff from 2000 AD at the time (like Nemesis the Warlock, Slaine, and even many of the Judge Dredd stories) were definitely not written for kids. Which made it all the more jarring/amusing to see that stuff in the same magazine with ads aimed directly at kids for various candy and sweets, toys, video games, and movies like "Biggles". :v:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 29, 2023

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/whovianlife/status/1652372912400113665

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:stare:

Was that the Doctor's severed hand from The Christmas Invasion!?!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

:stare:

Was that the Doctor's severed hand from The Christmas Invasion!?!

It's the same prop, at least.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I cannot loving wait to see what mad bullshit RTD is getting up to :hellyeah:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I hope this means we might be getting a bit more tidbits even though we're still far away from the specials airing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

We’re already doing ARGs and it’s not even really May yet!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I mean, it can't be the SAME hand because I watched Journey's End recently and that hand regenerated into the half human doctor.

edit: im not digging through the episode for a screenshot but it's definitely more of a flashback, that exact frame im pretty sure is taken from Journey's End

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Doctor just keeps cutting hands off, in case of emergency

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How many Doctors can you make by chopping one up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Doctor just keeps cutting hands off, in case of emergency

Star Trek Picard crossover confirmed.