Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

Tekne posted:

the ocean is getting a little spicy https://climatereanalyzer.org/clim/sst_daily/

need to throw higher than ever in there with faster than expected

seems subpar idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

atelier morgan posted:

that really is how it be

its so goddamn exhausting, reading anything

moments away from it being revealed the author is the dumbest loving mark imaginable at all times

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Lean Logic by David Fleming is really good. It's not entirely about climate change but a lot of it is and it's sort of doomer but not. There's a bit of "we are all screwed but here's how we might live our best lives during and after the collapse of modern civilization". It's much more about how society and individuals should prepare themselves for what is coming than a scientific analysis of actual climate science.

It's probably the one book that has influenced how I live and think the most.

The whole thing is available for free online at leanlogic.online

Here is an excerpt that presents the gist of the book:

My favorite section is about pot(s)

https://leanlogic.online/glossary/intermediate-economy/

David Fleming posted:

"The most obvious example of a regrettable necessity is the transport of goods: it is a necessity, given the large-scale economy and population, which require long, complicated supply chains to deliver energy, nutrients and materials, and to dispose of waste. But there is nothing in the actual process of transport which adds to the quality of the goods or to the flavour of the food: our hearts do not leap with delight at the sight of an articulated truck; we just put up with it. Yet this is where the bulk of demand for energy and resources comes from. The intermediate economy is the price of size; the large scale of the economy both requires the big infrastructures, and makes them possible. It is the product, and the enabler, of growth.

The civic societies of the past—such as the highly-evolved, elaborate Roman civilisation—relied on growth, too, and for most of the same reasons. They had to become more productive, not just to keep pace with the needs of their increasing populations, but to build their intermediate economies. So they intensified, producing more output per capita (per person). But that output was used to develop the intrinsically-undesired intermediate economy so that, in terms of their ability to sustain per capita well-being, their economies became increasingly inefficient. This is the Intensification Paradox: intensification inevitably leads to declining efficiency.

Meanwhile productivity improvements generate growth; and the growing economy requires extended infrastructures; and extended infrastructures must be paid for with further productivity improvements. Those improvements in turn produce further growth which requires further expansion in the infrastructures. . . . This cycle of growth—leading to dependence on a voracious intermediate economy—has been integral to all civic societies."

A STORY OF POTS
Complication builds from an innocent start.

1. more pots

2. → more transport

3. → transport infrastructures

4. → more tax to pay for the roads

5. → more bureaucracy to raise the tax

6. → more jobs available in towns

7. → larger towns

8. → dislocation of rural social structures

9. → relaxation of sexual rules

10. → higher population

11. → greater need for food and resources

12. → military power and conquest

13. → flow of wealth into a growing society

14. → more pots . . .

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

TehSaurus posted:

lol “it’s important to remember there’s no expiration on climate action”

lmao!!

except when we all die!!!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Microplastics posted:

I you were thinking of making any mistakes about the melting of ice sheets, think again

Accelerating melt of ice sheets now 'unmistakable'

and if you were thinking about grabbing a biodiversity target, you might be poo poo out of luck there too

Biodiversity targets may be slipping out of reach - study

“unless [we/you] act now” is the most overused phrase in the human lexicon

treating global warming like a qvc ad smh - “call now to reduce global warming and get a free complimentary plastic grave sheet worth $50 FOR FREE!”

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

that guys face cropped would make a good av haha

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Microplastics posted:

And then a skeleton popped out!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Stereotype posted:

I was gonna joke that the title was "Faster and Worse Than Expected" and lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHGt9l6U5fM

I love the bit at 5 minutes. "India is warming less than its surroundings because of severe pollution keeping out solar radiation". So, it's already experiencing horrendous heatwaves and if it stops polluting it's going to feel them even more keenly.

India is just hosed, isn't it?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Extrapolations aired its season finale a few days ago.

A hit-or-miss show, with mostly misses in my opinion. But episode 5 was enough of a hit to almost make up for it, I highly recommend it even if you don't watch any other episodes.

Unfortunately the show got a bit too distracted with highly speculative future tech that didn't have much to do with climate change, like memory deletion and mind uploads (insert your roll-eyes emoji here). And even the future tech that was relevant to climate change was a bit deus ex machina. The final episode referred to CCS and presented it as wildly successful, without giving any hints as to how it might work ("My carbon capture machine is just out of frame, sequestering carbon"). I guess it's taking the Star Trek approach of "well, if we explain how it works, it'll be too obviously bullshit".

Aside from that, the characters were a little bit too Good or Evil, with little nuance. And the final episode, I think, tried to make some sort of point about capitalism and ethical consumption, but it was incoherent, at least to me.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Sorry for the triple post, I tend to batch these up.

If you want a good primer on the El Nino phenomenon, the Economist has put out a very nice little video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC7Pg8tUuqQ

And a couple of good graphics from that video:

Some of the consequences of the past 3 years of La Nina:

A history of La Ninas and El Ninos:

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

silicone thrills posted:

Reading The Value of a Whale and I'm joker laughing that this comes up in chapter one:
Most economic activity happens within the bunkers.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Biden announced he is running again with the phrase “let’s finish the job” and I can’t think of it in any other way than about life on earth like a contract killer would say

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Stereotype posted:

Biden announced he is running again with the phrase “let’s finish the job” and I can’t think of it in any other way than about life on earth like a contract killer would say

He's done with the human race's malarkey and I don't blame him one bit

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Lick the world

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

[biosphere collapse] Let's Finish the Job

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MightyBigMinus posted:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

MightyBigMinus posted:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
it’s been fun y’all. some big ups and downs, but overall it was a good attempt. cya after the next big bang cycle. maybe next time we could get some communism or something in version 2.0

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/1650889289851609088

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

MightyBigMinus posted:

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

MightyBigMinus posted:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Stereotype posted:

lmao

MightyBigMinus posted:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Microplastics posted:

Sorry for the triple post, I tend to batch these up.

If you want a good primer on the El Nino phenomenon, the Economist has put out a very nice little video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC7Pg8tUuqQ

And a couple of good graphics from that video:

Some of the consequences of the past 3 years of La Nina:

A history of La Ninas and El Ninos:

drought Jan-Dec

lol

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

MightyBigMinus posted:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

MightyBigMinus posted:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the people have spoken

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Never mind, everything's fine

quote:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-rejects-oil-companies-appeals-climate-change-disputes-rcna49823

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Monday allowed lawsuits brought by municipalities seeking to hold energy companies accountable for climate change to move forward in a loss for business interests.

The court turned away oil company appeals in five cases involving claims brought by cities and municipalities in Colorado, Maryland, California, Hawaii and Rhode Island as part of efforts to hold businesses accountable for the effects of climate change.

The relatively narrow legal issue is whether the lawsuits should be heard in state court instead of federal court. Litigants care because of the widely held view that plaintiffs have better chances of winning damage awards in state courts.

"Big Oil companies have been desperate to avoid trials in state courts, where they will be forced to defend their climate lies in front of juries, and today the Supreme Court declined to bail them out," said Richard Wiles, the president of the Center for Climate Integrity, an environmental group.

Business groups expressed disappointment, with Phil Goldberg, a lawyer with the National Association of Manufacturers' legal arm, saying climate issues should be dealt with at the national or international levels.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Microplastics posted:

Extrapolations aired its season finale a few days ago.

A hit-or-miss show, with mostly misses in my opinion. But episode 5 was enough of a hit to almost make up for it, I highly recommend it even if you don't watch any other episodes.

Unfortunately the show got a bit too distracted with highly speculative future tech that didn't have much to do with climate change, like memory deletion and mind uploads (insert your roll-eyes emoji here). And even the future tech that was relevant to climate change was a bit deus ex machina. The final episode referred to CCS and presented it as wildly successful, without giving any hints as to how it might work ("My carbon capture machine is just out of frame, sequestering carbon"). I guess it's taking the Star Trek approach of "well, if we explain how it works, it'll be too obviously bullshit".

Aside from that, the characters were a little bit too Good or Evil, with little nuance. And the final episode, I think, tried to make some sort of point about capitalism and ethical consumption, but it was incoherent, at least to me.

They had an incredible cast, and obviously a lot of budget, but they ruined it with extremely lib brained writing. The peak for me was also episode 5 as you say, since it showed India and poor people and the outdoors instead of comfortable westerners sitting indoors looking sad about climate change apparently happening off-camera.

Also sometimes it would like use a text crawl to announce the year is 50 years in the future and then the text would say "number of people displaced by climate change: 2 million" as though that's a statement with gravitas. I don't remember the exact numbers but I remember every time thinking "there are probably more people displaced by climate change than that right now".

It's odd because the writers did seem to know what climate change is. Like they don't just think it means the sea level will slowly rise or whatever, at one point Ed Norton's character even mentions positive feedback loops. But it's like they flinched and couldn't go all the way so most of the episodes were incredibly milquetoast and yeah, too focused on Black Mirror poo poo.

Brendan Rodgers has issued a correction as of 19:50 on Apr 25, 2023

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Recent, rapid ocean warming ahead of El Niño alarms scientists

quote:

In March, sea surface temperatures off the east coast of North America were as much as 13.8C higher than the 1981-2011 average.

quote:

Several scientists contacted for this story were reluctant to go on the record about the implications.

One spoke of being "extremely worried and completely stressed."

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Stereotype posted:

everyone is an idiot except me and Karl Marx

https://www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/907a42dd-75f0-496c-afef-01d4478fd7e4

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

eyyyy happy earth day rime is risen

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
The entire planets in a sous vide bath lmao

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
whoops all plastics still

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
lol 2 degrees is just a little bit

13.8 degrees now thats what I call Climate Change (tm)

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpmYW-gCSy4

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

the SST numbers are very funny.

going to be a hot lovely summer all. get your hvacs in working order, or get one period, to help bring down the grid once and for all

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
going to be a horror show this summer in the cities

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

MightyBigMinus posted:

eyyyy happy earth day rime is risen

I was literally just thinking about Rime a couple hours ago because I was hoping a Reading/Watching list could be added to the OP

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

most of the comments on that story are people clamoring for a quick reduction of the darker skinned people as a solution for climate change :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Mandatory Optimistic Last Paragraphs strikes again

quote:

There is some hope in this scenario, according to Karina Von Schuckmann. Temperatures may come down again after the El Niño subsides.

"We still have a window where we can act and we should use this to reduce the consequences," she told BBC News.

:lol: