Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zoux posted:

Some citizen journalism: my mom told me today that my Tuckerphile brother-in-law is absolutely melting down over the firing. He's just going to "cancel Fox News" because he doesn't understand how cable packages work I guess.

Maybe he meant figuratively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

zoux posted:

Some citizen journalism: my mom told me today that my Tuckerphile brother-in-law is absolutely melting down over the firing. He's just going to "cancel Fox News" because he doesn't understand how cable packages work I guess.

They probably mean Cancel as in the magic spell that liberals use to ruin a celebrity just because they did a few dozen racisms or sex crimes when they were younger.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Oh. No. Don't.

Tucker running is going to have the same problem that Ted Cruz has running, his machismo is fake and comes off as fake. Trump for whatever reason came off as a real man to people and didn't have that high nasal nerd pitch that puts people off. There is a certain hallow fakeness that people I imagine detect in Tucker.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

zoux posted:

He'll get over it. Fox has pissed off their viewers in the past and they never stay away for long, if they ever actually stop watching in the first place.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Oh. No. Don't.

Tucker running is going to have the same problem that Ted Cruz has running, his machismo is fake and comes off as fake. Trump for whatever reason came off as a real man to people and didn't have that high nasal nerd pitch that puts people off. There is a certain hallow fakeness that people I imagine detect in Tucker.

Remember, Trump's persona of "accessible rich guy who is rejected by snooty high society" is an image that's been cultivated since the 80's. Let's face it, you wouldn't see Rockefeller or Carnegie doing an ad for Pizza Hut or host a game show. Cruz, Carlson, DeSantis, none of them have that long standing brand. That's why they come across as phonies when they try to act "accessible". It works so well with Trump's rubes because they remember him from being on TV over many many years.

EDIT: To update my point, I wouldn't say it's an act of machismo. It's an act of accessibility. He's not acting strong because he thinks he's strong. He's acting strong because "he's your buddy and he's looking out for you". "Don't worry my friend, I'll kick their rear end for you. I'll protect you. Your enemy is my enemy."

volts5000 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 25, 2023

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Biden announced his campaign today, and is already seeming to plan how to rein in all that youthful enthusiasm he’s been gifted since Dobbs:

https://twitter.com/mstratford/status/1650870568055451650?s=46&t=6Q05E9cp_ar9ql-5Jy81HQ

Going to be wild to see how they manage the perceptions here; young voters have multiple issues and if you’re seen actively loving them over on a big one, how do you activate them as volunteers or donors? Could see a lot of fundraising letters being returned with “sorry, I had to pay interest on loans that are worth more than they were when I got them” scrawled over the pitch.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I think Tucker will do a Bill O’Reilly and retire. He’s not a power hungry narcissist who wants to rule the world. He’s a vain grifter.

Tucker is not a grifter.

He was born into absurd wealth and has been pushing his line for the last 30+ years, just with different degrees of moderation based on where he was.

It was a tossup between he and Ingraham for who was the truest believer.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I don't know how to navigate Twitter so I just screenshotted this. But maybe part of the reason why Fox canned Tucker was that apparently he's a pedophile (who would have guessed?) This is absolutely disgusting:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Charliegrs posted:

I don't know how to navigate Twitter so I just screenshotted this. But maybe part of the reason why Fox canned Tucker was that apparently he's a pedophile (who would have guessed?) This is absolutely disgusting:

This stuff has been out there for a while, unlikely it made a difference now

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

selec posted:

Going to be wild to see how they manage the perceptions here; young voters have multiple issues and if you’re seen actively loving them over on a big one, how do you activate them as volunteers or donors? Could see a lot of fundraising letters being returned with “sorry, I had to pay interest on loans that are worth more than they were when I got them” scrawled over the pitch.
I mean, the idea that the original justification for the freeze still applies is pretty laughable at this point, and it’s been kept in place for political reasons and because it’s, generally speaking, good for the economy to let people keep that money rather than make payments. But at some point, either payments will have to resume or we will have to drastically overhaul, legislatively, the way high education is funded. Right now it’s a good policy to not require payments but long term, it would raise a lot of unsustainable contradictions.

My soft guess is that if the 10k loan forgiveness is blocked, they will continue the freeze indefinitely. But it’s been three years and sooner or later the people who have been paying tuition without loans are going to start looking very askance at the situation when their peers who borrowed aren’t paying anything back.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 25, 2023

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Piell posted:

This stuff has been out there for a while, unlikely it made a difference now

I see it as Fox wanting to keep Tucker on good terms just long enough to outlast the Dominion issue. Make sure he doesn't cut a separate deal with Dominion and turn into a Dominion witness. Now that that's done, they're free to cut him loose for all the poo poo that's built up.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

selec posted:

Biden announced his campaign today, and is already seeming to plan how to rein in all that youthful enthusiasm he’s been gifted since Dobbs:

https://twitter.com/mstratford/status/1650870568055451650?s=46&t=6Q05E9cp_ar9ql-5Jy81HQ

I imagine it will at least be mitigated with the "It's either us or the Bad Orange Man will come back" shaped whip they used in 2020.

Plus there's plenty of comfortable young people who come from families with money who will be tripping over themselves to flood social media with the narrative that life has never been better and we're in a new golden age, and anyone who disagrees is a Russian propagandist.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Randalor posted:

On the one hand, I would be very interested in seeing what happened if both Trump and Tucker ran for the Republican nomination for president. Would their supporters vote for their God-King Trump, or their "Truth" Speaker Tucker? How quickly would they run to straight-up Nazism in an attempt to outdo each other? Would there even be an attempt at having a mask on?

On the other hand, I imagine Tucker would also be riling up the base even further than Trump did, and considering his rhetoric, I can see him calling for outright violence at polling places. So I hope to God that he doesn't run.

Tucker lasers his balls, Trump would lock onto it like he did Desantis's pudding fingers and obliterate Tucker.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

the_steve posted:

I imagine it will at least be mitigated with the "It's either us or the Bad Orange Man will come back" shaped whip they used in 2020.

Plus there's plenty of comfortable young people who come from families with money who will be tripping over themselves to flood social media with the narrative that life has never been better and we're in a new golden age, and anyone who disagrees is a Russian propagandist.

I think it's just going to make young people even more apathetic and they'll bother not turning out even more than they already do. Which is not good because they are already the most apathetic group that turns out the least. But in recent years it looks like the youth turnout has been improving and that's what made the difference in the midterms if I'm not mistaken. So it's a really bad time to do anything that will gently caress them over.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

I think it's just going to make young people even more apathetic and they'll bother not turning out even more than they already do. Which is not good because they are already the most apathetic group that turns out the least. But in recent years it looks like the youth turnout has been improving and that's what made the difference in the midterms if I'm not mistaken. So it's a really bad time to do anything that will gently caress them over.

I've been having a lot of really infuriating conversations with libs about social welfare in the last couple of months, and I don't know if it's shaped by a broader message or what. Things like, "well, it would be good to lower rents, but how can we accomplish that without crashing the real estate market?" and when pointed out that people are starving and going homeless right now and incremental change isn't going to save those people, it's met with shrugs. Same for student loans and healthcare.

The only difference between libs and conservatives at this point is the timetable on which they choose to gently caress over vulnerable people.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

selec posted:

Looking at the article, it's all about what the administration will do if the Supreme Court overturns the debt cancellation. On top of that, the main issue in it is how the GOP has responded to the debt cancellation effort by limiting funding to the federal student aid offices, cutting into their resources for administering student loans and ensuring that they'd be hard pressed to end the freeze gracefully even if the debt cancellation goes through successfully.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It seems premature to write off the young just a few months after an election in which record young turnout made for some very unexpected swings

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

haveblue posted:

It seems premature to write off the young just a few months after an election in which record young turnout made for some very unexpected swings
I think “writing off the young” is a really over-the-top description of what the article is conveying.

If anything it sounds to me like they are going to use the resource crunch at DOE as a reason to continue the freeze. But that can’t continue forever, because

that article posted:

SoFi, a private student loan company, and the Mackinac Center, a conservative group, have each filed lawsuits to stop the payment pause, arguing that it’s illegal and no longer properly linked to the pandemic emergency.

Those lawsuits - especially the SoFi one, because they have clear standing - are extremely likely to succeed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ending the Covid emergency declaration does make it likely that those groups will prevail, yes

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

So... it's another case of people saying "Biden is doing a shitlib thing!!!" when it's actually just the administration trying to find the best way to go forward because the courts aren't going to rule in their favor and Congress isn't going to do anything helpful?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Everyone waiting patently for the reveal of which dril tweet best explains tucker carlson's firing

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

PharmerBoy posted:

I see it as Fox wanting to keep Tucker on good terms just long enough to outlast the Dominion issue. Make sure he doesn't cut a separate deal with Dominion and turn into a Dominion witness. Now that that's done, they're free to cut him loose for all the poo poo that's built up.

Except the smartmatic lawsuit is just getting started

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

haveblue posted:

Youth turnout (and turnout in general) gets talked about way out of proportion to how much it matters, Democratic turnout wasn't as bad as in 2014 but the main reason 2022 went unexpectedly well is Trump voters voting for Democrats.

The good news is the things that worked to get Trump voters to vote for Democrats (Republicans want to end voting and force 10 year old rape victims to give birth) are also good for turnout so there's no need to choose between them.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

James Garfield posted:

Youth turnout (and turnout in general) gets talked about way out of proportion to how much it matters, Democratic turnout wasn't as bad as in 2014 but the main reason 2022 went unexpectedly well is Trump voters voting for Democrats.

The good news is the things that worked to get Trump voters to vote for Democrats (Republicans want to end voting and force 10 year old rape victims to give birth) are also good for turnout so there's no need to choose between them.

Those Trump voters are going to be voting for Trump in 2024.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mendrian posted:

I've been having a lot of really infuriating conversations with libs about social welfare in the last couple of months, and I don't know if it's shaped by a broader message or what. Things like, "well, it would be good to lower rents, but how can we accomplish that without crashing the real estate market?" and when pointed out that people are starving and going homeless right now and incremental change isn't going to save those people, it's met with shrugs. Same for student loans and healthcare.

12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it.

20 In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. 21 Peter remembered and said to Jesus, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

James Garfield posted:

I don't agree with this, according to the sources I've seen, you saw specifically moderate republicans balking at crazy anti-democracy candidates and draconian abortion restrictions. You had "normal" republicans outrunning nutjobs by several points. As far as Trump voters go, I'd say they were more likely to not vote than vote for Biden, but that's kind of their deal, they only vote when Trump is on the ballot.

'22 was really a great argument for voter persuasion and candidate quality, turnout was something like R+3. As far as the youth vote goes, if you're ever like "Well, as long as under 25s turn out we'll..." I wouldn't put money on it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

zoux posted:

I don't agree with this, according to the sources I've seen, you saw specifically moderate republicans balking at crazy anti-democracy candidates and draconian abortion restrictions. You had "normal" republicans outrunning nutjobs by several points. As far as Trump voters go, I'd say they were more likely to not vote than vote for Biden, but that's kind of their deal, they only vote when Trump is on the ballot.

'22 was really a great argument for voter persuasion and candidate quality, turnout was something like R+3. As far as the youth vote goes, if you're ever like "Well, as long as under 25s turn out we'll..." I wouldn't put money on it.

I mean Democrats can't win in an electorate that voted for Trump unless some Trump voters vote for them. It's probably not the ones who were in the boat parades.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry. 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. 14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it.

20 In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. 21 Peter remembered and said to Jesus, “Rabbi, look! The fig tree you cursed has withered!”

Oh look, we're preaching random Bible quotes now! How about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8xU-gKK17A

PS who is that dude in your avatar?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

James Garfield posted:

I mean Democrats can't win in an electorate that voted for Trump unless some Trump voters vote for them. It's probably not the ones who were in the boat parades.

Turnout's big, especially when margins are slim and the strongest Republican demographics also have the highest turnout as is. But yeah, people will turn both directions to swing elections and it's often not for the reasons you'd expect. Like when we heard of Obama-Trump voters and they turned out to be lifelong Republicans who distanced themselves from the Bush stink but saw voting for arch-liberal Hillary as a bridge too far. Or when Trump swung more Latino vote in 2020 but they mostly turned out to be white-identifying Cuban-Americans terrified of the socialist Dems or people in rural Texas where border militarization was bringing in jobs.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

How does Jesus cursing a fig tree as a metaphor for those who still didn't believe in him apply here?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
shot:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/23/us/biden-immigration-humanitarian-parole.html

Biden Opens a New Back Door on Immigration

quote:

Amid a protracted stalemate in Congress over immigration, President Biden has opened a back door to allow hundreds of thousands of new immigrants into the country, significantly expanding the use of humanitarian parole programs for people escaping war and political turmoil around the world.

The measures, introduced over the past year to offer refuge to people fleeing Ukraine, Haiti and Latin America, offer immigrants the opportunity to fly to the United States and quickly secure work authorization, provided they have a private sponsor to take responsibility for them.

As of mid-April, some 300,000 Ukrainians had arrived in the United States under various programs — a number greater than all the people from around the world admitted through the official U.S. refugee program in the last five years.

By the end of 2023, about 360,000 Venezuelans, Cubans, Nicaraguans and Haitians are expected to gain admission through a similar private sponsorship initiative introduced in January to stem unauthorized crossings at the southern border — more people than were issued immigrant visas from these countries in the last 15 years combined.

The Biden administration has also greatly expanded the number of people who are in the United States with what is known as temporary protected status, a program former President Donald J. Trump had sought to terminate. About 670,000 people from 16 countries have had their protections extended or become newly eligible since Mr. Biden took office, according to a new report from the Pew Research Center.

All told, these temporary humanitarian programs could become the largest expansion of legal immigration in decades.

chaser:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/19/immigration-poll-title-42-biden-00092684

Biden is ignoring immigration issues, voters say in poll

tldr: some of the things a majority in this poll think he should be doing better (or uh communicating better) are things we like, and some are not

migrant border crossings were 2m+ in 2022, so this isn't exactly what you'd call a full solution to those folks becoming second-class residents, but expanding authorized immigration by 360k/year seems Pretty Good

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 25, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

James Garfield posted:

I guess I'm drawing a distinction between "Republicans who vote R no matter what even if they have to hold their nose" and "Trump voters". It's instructive because the prevailing left-of-center theory of politics for the past few elections has been that only turnout/activation matters, that swing voters don't exist in significant amounts, and everyone votes _____ no matter who, so it's all about base turnout instead of reaching for squishy partisans. I think '22 put lie to that and proved that issues and candidates still matter, as long as they have insane salience anyway.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Rappaport posted:

Oh look, we're preaching random Bible quotes now! How about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8xU-gKK17A

PS who is that dude in your avatar?

It’s not random. “people are starving and going homeless right now” being met with shrugs is

Jesus being hungry right then and “he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs”.

Once folks have a serious need, and that need isn’t being met, reasons don’t matter anymore. If one is homeless, one does not care if fixing that will collapse the housing market.

Our systems must bear fruit or they’ll wither to the roots.

My assumption regarding the avatar is that somebody used an AI generator with prompts along the lines of Chairman Xi as a Chad in Texas after I pissed them off.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

My assumption regarding the avatar is that somebody used an AI generator with prompts along the lines of Chairman Xi as a Chad in Texas after I pissed them off.

Sheriff Yi Hawping

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
The downside to humanitarian parole is that you can't get Legal Permanent Resident status nor provide a path to citizenship.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It’s not random. “people are starving and going homeless right now” being met with shrugs is

Jesus being hungry right then and “he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs”.

Once folks have a serious need, and that need isn’t being met, reasons don’t matter anymore. If one is homeless, one does not care if fixing that will collapse the housing market.

Oh wow that is not what that story is about at all but I'm with you 100% on the explanation about how we need to do something since the people suffering don't care if markets collapse because they need food and a house and did what is needed to get that.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It’s actually a very clever mechanism that has been put into place, by some combination of design and accident, that addressing problems like housing prices or healthcare spending would cause economic calamity, if they were not done with utmost caution. The solutions could easily lead to more deprived people - and those who are ideologically opposed to the idea that we can have a society without poverty would do everything in their considerable power to make that the case. So people aren’t imagining those consequences. The problem is just when they’re used as an excuse to stop digging for solutions.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Sorry about your avatar, I guess.

Jesus lived in a time when a one-man-band could conceivably do something, but in a world of drones and police happy to shoot anyone who threatens capital? Unfortunately their guns have a fairly convenient point and click interface, if you will, and people like Jesus are powerless against that. The systems bear fruit for those who are on the receiving end, and those who are not are left to their own devices, meager as they are. There is no escaping the chains of capital.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1650905152922976261

538 is dead, it seems that Disney is going to retain the brand and just push regular ABC news content through it. Nate "Bad" Silver isn't technically gone yet, but he wrote on twitter:
“Disney layoffs have substantially impacted FiveThirtyEight. I am sad and disappointed to a degree that’s kind of hard to express right now. We’ve been at Disney almost 10 years. My contract is up soon and I expect that I’ll be leaving at the end of it.”

My considered opinion on this is "we smoking on that silver pack tonight"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh wow that is not what that story is about at all

It sandwiches Jesus arriving at the temple and seeing it filled with a market and commerce and him driving them all out.

It’s about the temple not bearing fruit. But also as a parable it can be extended to the systems of society not bearing fruit. Generally people who have been failed by systems get that interpretation immediately and middle class or higher folks don’t.