Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tippis posted:

It's really slowing down that is the dangerous part:v:
Seems warm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

BitBasher posted:

If you can't tell the difference when playing it then for all practical purposes there is no difference though?

For the most part, yeah. It's when you start breaking things — intentionally or by accident — that it matters, such as the ability to kick people through cameras because of how the first-person hit detection works. :D

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Antigravitas posted:

ED looks fine and sounds great. Launching my spacecraft from a station feels "real" enough that it makes me want to go through a pre-flight checklist and do a routine of flipping switches and pressing buttons on a large instrument panel before liftoff. Slowly throttling up as I expertly move my ship through the docking area, then slamming it to full throttle as I clear the gates. Feels great.

It's just a shame that the rest of it is interminably boring. And I remind you, I just said I get excited at the prospect of playing Space DCS. The act of accelerating your ship is the most interesting part of Elite: Kinda Not Very Dangerous At All Actually

My perfect space game is something along the lines of the look and feel of Elite (with a bit more color variance), combat a bit more involved with something of a directed story (like Everspace 2 minus the weird puzzles), and a map somewhere between the infinity of the former and the handful of tiny areas of the latter.

I actually think that Earth and Beyond was something of a missed opportunity. It's always interesting to me when a game gets a few things right, and many more things wrong, how seldom if ever another company (or even the same one) takes a look at it and says "you know what, this can be salvaged. There's a great game in here, let's make it properly." Usually they just die.

Even if the public gets hold of the server code, or makes an emulator, it's incredible how often they mimic the original failed game as closely as possible. For nostalgia maybe? But in their hands is the opportunity to prove or disprove all kinds of theories about the game, what made it work, what made it fail, and if they can build on it. And so very few do.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/wu6c24X.mp4

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

quote:

brevity

*grits teeth*

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Only Kindness posted:

*grits teeth*

*scrolls past*

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Thoatse posted:

*scrolls past*

*writes blocking script*

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Tippis posted:

It's really slowing down that is the dangerous part:v:

Hot.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

My perfect space game is something along the lines of the look and feel of Elite (with a bit more color variance), combat a bit more involved with something of a directed story (like Everspace 2 minus the weird puzzles), and a map somewhere between the infinity of the former and the handful of tiny areas of the latter.

I actually think that Earth and Beyond was something of a missed opportunity. It's always interesting to me when a game gets a few things right, and many more things wrong, how seldom if ever another company (or even the same one) takes a look at it and says "you know what, this can be salvaged. There's a great game in here, let's make it properly." Usually they just die.

Even if the public gets hold of the server code, or makes an emulator, it's incredible how often they mimic the original failed game as closely as possible. For nostalgia maybe? But in their hands is the opportunity to prove or disprove all kinds of theories about the game, what made it work, what made it fail, and if they can build on it. And so very few do.

No Man's Sky would be the perfect game for me in theory, but every part of it is just super unfun and tedious.

The flight model is so casual that you don't feel like you are in control of your ship so that makes the flight unenjoyable.

The exploration of planets and species is kinda fun, except after two planets you know they are all the same with a different palette. I felt a lot more awe in Elite: Dangerous just from seeing some wacky system or really close twin planets, even without landing on a planet.

The base building could be fun, but ultimately because the game tries to get you to explore lots of planets, making a static home feels useless and unrewarding. I felt a lot more attachment to bases I built in Fallout 4.

Learning alien languages feels like something you'd see in 8-bit games, wait you did and Captain Blood did it in a way more interesting and abstract manner.

Sean Murray was forgiven way too much after managing to turn his outright lies into the current bare minimum implementation is a hill I'm willing to die on.

And also, when you try to do everything, you end up doing everything badly. There's a reason the best games tend to be very focused.

lobsterminator fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 25, 2023

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I feel the same way about NMS. At its core, it’s a game about finding and shooting at different colored objects to keep a dozen different meters full and earn extremely incremental upgrades to your gear. They’ve added a bunch of poo poo on top of that, but the core gameplay remains the same boring grind.

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020

It still gets me that SC tech support involves you having to change UAC settings for the game to install properly. Stuff like this is a big reason I avoid even free fly events, as tempting as it is to see the trainwreck first-hand. The experience is not worth giving CIG the opportunity to muck up my PC.

I've lost track of how many games I've installed from steam, gog, and developer-specific installers. I've tried free games on epic, and I even put up with ubisoft's bs for a couple of games. None of them have asked me to change my OS settings to install and work properly. This isn't the dos era; I don't want to edit autoexec.bat just to get a random game to work.

Backers who see stuff like this and still believe in CIG remind me of scam victims who never stop to think and ask 'why is the IRS person asking me to pay via a crypto kiosk?'

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The big thing about NMS is that for all it's faults it's still infinitely more fun than any of the wishlist piles from hardcore spaceship sim nerds who would be interested in games like SC/ED. I think if you have them a hundred genie lamps they wouldn't be able to make a good fun game in all 300 tries. All of their wildest "fun ideas" are videogame torture.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Sean Murray-Lied (his parents were Irish-German) sold his house and made a game.

Roberts bought mansions, and steadfastly refuses to make a game.

I have no dog in either fight, but Murray >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Roberts to this layman.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Only Kindness posted:

Sean Murray-Lied (his parents were Irish-German) sold his house and made a game.

Roberts bought mansions, and steadfastly refuses to make a game.

I have no dog in either fight, but Murray >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Roberts to this layman.

Well Roberts figured out the secret. If you never release anything you will never be actually judged. Better to make a billion dollars by stringing along people with an eternal pre-alpha.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
HAH! Actually I just remembered, Hello Games (that's the Murray company, is it?) also put out a cute little runaround game called The Last Campfire.

So they're now 2*(infinity) times better than CInG even if the games are crap.

yesiknowhowinfinityworksit'sajoke

1/0 == infinity, right?

thatisalsoajokedon't@me

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Only Kindness posted:

yesiknowhowinfinityworksit'sajoke

1/0 == infinity, right?

thatisalsoajokedon't@me

don't joke using fake math, the star citizen physics engine might discover it and use it to become worse

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Only Kindness posted:

HAH! Actually I just remembered, Hello Games (that's the Murray company, is it?) also put out a cute little runaround game called The Last Campfire.

So they're now 2*(infinity) times better than CInG even if the games are crap.

Yeah, that's them. Looked cute enough.

One of the few differences between CIG and Hello Games is also the fact that it doesn't seem like Sean Murray is wasting the money they got. While we don't know how much they got, but whatever that is, they pump it straight back into development. No lavish lifestyles, no massive stylish offices, just addons and addons and addons to NMS and a small runaround game on the side. I'm sure that they are well off and this isn't a case of "poor 12 man ragtag team of developers", but it's also not "350 people spinning on chairs going WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE".

The effects might be questionable, but at least the effort seems honest. And that's way more then we can say about CIG, where half of the time we're not even sure if this is a malicious scam or pure incompetence.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tippis posted:

#2 shows a carbon star — a sooty red giant — from 1,500 lightseconds out, or roughly the orbit of Mars. Even at that distance, it occupies a significant portion of the sky, which (once you've looked at a fair few stars) tells you something about its size. In the foreground, only 1.15 ls distant (so about as far away as the moon), sits a Y-class brown dwarf star, about the size of Jupiter but 10× more massive — not enough for it to properly ignite, but enough to cause low-intensity fusion and heat production. Also, in the background, as a very small red dot indicated by another HUD element, there is the third star in the system: another even smaller and cooler Y-class brown dwarf.

They're not perfectly lit, nor are they planets — they produce their own light. Or at least some semblance of dull glow. But above all, it's a play on perspective and scale and two extremes lining up in a curious way.

Unless I am reading that wrong it is 1.5 light seconds, not 1,500; so around 450,000 Km from the ship. And which makes sense as that is a brown "dwarf" star not bloody Betelgeuse.
e: nm, I saw you referred to the other star top left of the shot. That one must indeed be a monster.

Elite is a crap ton of wasted potential, but graphically also never had any issues with it, the level of detail in most elements is actually really nice.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 25, 2023

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
This is an interesting one to me. At first look it's not all that different from Star Citizen's landscapes.

Yet somehow this SC shot looks like complete garbo in comparison. I think it's something to do with the lighting? Like it's always too harsh so it makes object edges very distinct and it all ends up looking like props plopped down in a scene.
Maybe it's the shadows being bad. It always just looks so...flat. There's no dynamism.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Fidelitious posted:

This is an interesting one to me. At first look it's not all that different from Star Citizen's landscapes.

Yet somehow this SC shot looks like complete garbo in comparison. I think it's something to do with the lighting? Like it's always too harsh so it makes object edges very distinct and it all ends up looking like props plopped down in a scene.
Maybe it's the shadows being bad. It always just looks so...flat. There's no dynamism.

And also because everything SC does is so earth-like. Like the trees around the famous only river.

As said, Elite is poo poo in many ways, but SC only has a couple of planets that are hand crafted so there is little excuse for them looking so bland and uninteresting.

Everything is SC looks like a game made in 2017 set on earth. Except earth has better coffee vendors.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
SC content will kick off when the community gets its hands on the modding manual. We will then see tons of hand-crafted planets with thousands of hours of playable content that will make NMS cry like a little baby.

But of course, they gotta finish server meshing before the servers can handle all the fidelity.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What will hit first when the modding manual drops? Phallus 6, the Dick planet of Dicks, Boobus 9, the Breast planet of Breasts, or Bootylicious 69, the planet full of asses bonus points if it's full of donkeys?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Randalor posted:

What will hit first when the modding manual drops? Phallus 6, the Dick planet of Dicks, Boobus 9, the Breast planet of Breasts, or Bootylicious 69, the planet full of asses bonus points if it's full of donkeys?

Could be worse. Just imagine the planet if happened to be a modder.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

FishMcCool posted:

Could be worse. Just imagine the planet if happened to be a modder.

He's not going to mod anything, he'll just write at length about how awesome the modded planet is going to be

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Xakura posted:

He's not going to mod anything, he'll just write at length about how awesome the modded planet is going to be

The modding capabilities will end up being similar to Elite, meaning you can customize the hud colors by editing some config file. Because what could you even mod in a hyper realistic MMO where every hotdog is simulated and calculated on the server.

But Cat will write an essay how the hud color customization is revolutionary and never before seen.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
ED is a scrapheap for allowing HUD colours to be changed from the options.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

lobsterminator posted:

The modding capabilities will end up being similar to Elite, meaning you can customize the hud colors by editing some config file.

Just for people who don't know about this gem: you can indeed modify some config file in ED to change the HUD colour from the default orange to something else. However, this doesn't just modify the orange: the entire HUD colour wheel gets rotated, changing the colour of every one of its elements. Which means that friendly/neutral/hostile contacts on radar end up in various funky colour schemes. I remember the community sharing colour codes for HUD schemes that were somehow readable and not resulting in pink/purple for friendly/hostile for example.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
ED wins.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Does anyone still have a link at that epic commando post that made a long ranted meltdown explaining how "organic" Rexzilla was?

Asking for a friend.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

MedicineHut posted:

Does anyone still have a link at that epic commando post that made a long ranted meltdown explaining how "organic" Rexzilla was?

Asking for a friend.

quote:

So i had never heard of you or the forum you post on until someone sent me a link where you were talking about me. Then i saw you have become fascinated by the rise of Rexzilla "seemingly out of nowhere." and the Alex Jones-esque conspiracy theories of him being a paid marketer by CIG's due to an investment in marketing Squadron 42.....

It's almost funny how wrong you have it.

Here are the main reasons:

First of all Rexzilla isn't new to Star Citizen, he backed the game around the same time i did back in 2016 and was a member of an org called Aces High (ACESHI). I know this because my previous org (which i co-founded) used to fight them at Security Post Kareah. So he isn't new, he played the game in 2016 and 2017 but didnt stream it and took a break from it because peformance was poor and all we had were a few on foot PvP areas. He's not a pilot, the FPS aspect of the game appealed to him.

He like me never played any of Chris Roberts old games. i was born in 1995. You should not hold this against me or anyone else who didn't know who Chris Roberts was until they discovered Star Citizen. There are a lot of us and we are a fast growing part of the Star Citizen community.

There is growing new guard due to a perfect storm. The game being playable due to client-side OCS and new game features and environments has brought in a lot of new people. In my case i only became a backer after a woman told me in a Second Life group voice chat that procedural planets were going to be a thing (she sent me a link to the Homestead Demo) and that playable female characters were coming soon with both likely to make an appearance in 3.0 (i know right!?). Knowing nothing of the delays SC has had i enthusiastically pledged in Dec 2016 for an Aurora starter package. Today we have OCS, FPS AI (derpy as it is, its something), 2 landable planets, 9 landable moons and landable planetoid with ourposts, stations even cities with trains and stuff. And i finally get to play with a character which represents me making it all finally immesive. This probably doesn't surprise you but friends i have who are also female and game have held off until they could play with a female character.

Some older streamers and backers see any change as scary and this influx of newer, often younger backers is disruptive to what the Star Citizen community has traditionally been since the Kickstarter.

The reason Rexzilla gets the huge audience he does are because he offers something none of the old guard offered:

a) A positive attitude taking advantage of the sandbox, sci-fi space sim we have today rather than theorycrafting and wishing for what we might have in the future.

So many of the Star Citizen streamers fall into a "negative nancy" mode. i totally get why they're like this, because for most of their streaming life there was no playable game. Old habits die hard and now that there is one its hard for them to break out of this. Instead of taking Chris Roberts seriously when he has repeatedly stated Star Citizen would be a sort of Space Second Life, they spend time talking about delays on gameplay mechanics even though we have cargo and mining.

b) Accessibility. Most of the older Star Citizen streamers have had an air about them of "I'm the streamer, you watch me but that's it." In other words, they kept a wall between themselves and people who might want to join in with what they're doing. Rexzilla has taken the opposite approach, he welcomes everyone to play with him and have epic experiences as a group. i am part of ZDF as well as my own org and i can tell you, we're not actors. We do some light roleplay but we're all there to have a good time. Part of that is following instructions but you have that in any org. My org did the same type of ops on a regular basis, we didn't stream them but they do require willing participants, clear comms and clear leadership. Its the same in the ZDF. Whether we are part of the ground forces or support and combat pilots (those ships you see on his streams are often there to protect the op against stream snipers, i know because i took one down in my Glaive).

c) Personality. Sorry but many of the older guard remind me of my dad trying to play games in the way they interact with the audience. Its boring, even when they are doing something midly interesting because they just don't have the energy or hype level Rex does.

Fear of the new leads to salt. You've seen it and commented on it with reactions to Rex's rise. i've seen it personally on a much smaller level as some people who are fans of TheBase radio station have attacked The Peoples Radio (TPR), the immersive, Star Citizen station i started. Older backers have thrown shade at us even though we're doing something quite different than TheBase in terms of content and our target demographics (newer and younger backers and a more diverse audience in general). This some of this low level salt among older fans of TheBase goes on even though Juntau from TheBase and i get along great and respect each other. In fact he recently had some very nice things to say about us and our quick rise on The Captain's Table. CIG loves our weekly news program (we've been the Staff Pick in the Community Hub on CIG's site and they and even made me an MVP for it one week. Again, it's because we use the game to make immersive content now. Everything is content to us, een bugs. It's that kind of positive attitude the community has responded to both with us and Rexzilla (who gives us shoutouts from time to time).

ZDF as an org is bigger than Rexzilla. It's not just an org, its a movement. The ZDF does a lot of stuff on and off stream not involving Rexzilla. This ranges from Star Marine tournaments to participating in the 50 person pub craw i organized in Star Citizen. Most large orgs with charasmatic leaders would not have responded the way ZDF did when i put the idea out there seeking both security and participants. (i know this having interacted with them in the past). Rexzilla was reachable and their support of the event helped ensure it was success but they were one of like 5 smaller orgs who all contributed to that. We managed to fill a server with people all involved in the event on a day servers were going down left and right due to 30K errors related to an FPS AI mission. Wakapedia from CIG even came in at the end of the pub crawl and let us all in the Million Mile High Club in Area 18 making for more great content both on the stream and for TPR News.

So i guess what i'm saying is this is all organic growth of the game and a demographic change. i had a good conversation the other day on Discord with another content creator when this very subject came up. i asked her what she thought would happen as people who like and play Fortnite now start coming over to playing Star Citizen and she nearly spit her coffee out both because she knows its inevitable and the reaction will be a culture shock not unlike what you're seeing happening now with the emergence of Rex and the ZDF.

A game like this can not be successful based on old money and old salt alone. Too many older backers and streamers are jaded and what Rex has proven is that almost no one wants to watch endless negativity of what is missing from the game when the alternative is watching and/or participating in some epic, community created sandbox gameplay with the amazing locales, weapons and ships CIG has created.

PS: Yes i did buy $10K worth of ships during the height of the cryptocurrency boom the same amount of crypto i used back then is worth about $1500 today. The same foresight that helped me see that Ethereum would be something worth mining and holding on to at the end of 2015 (when it was $0.40 cents and helped me pursuade my boyfriend to start mining and trading before we sold when it went above $1,000 is the same foresight i've used in seeing the long view of this game's development.

Doing the former paid of my student loans. Doing the later will pay off in many years of fun. In some ways, it already has.

i hope this clears things up. i am fairly certain that what we are witnessing isn't some co-ordinated marketing campaign. it's the result of years of game development and an influx of new blood.

if you want, feel free to share this in its entirety.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Thank you friend!

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

One of the classics imo

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

r/starcitizen posted:

This is a post for one of my bestfreinds colm, handle: AnimeGirl (edgelord ikr). He would obsessively watch this sub for updates, so wherever in the universe he is, i know he will see this ❤️

I've known colm for about 3 years now, and from the moment we met we instantly were 2 peas in a pod, it felt like we had known each other for a lifetime. Both 2 british boys down in the middle of nowhere in new zealand.

For the first year i had no clue colm even knew what this game was, and finally when it was mentioned his eyes lit up! "You guys play too? Wtf why didnt u tell me" turns out he was a kickstart backer like us, and even though i had taken an extended break since 2017, colm had played religiously the entire 10 year span, his fleet was beautiful and we always took the piss out of the top hat and monocle 😂

My engagement for the game finally came back and i was hooked again.. JT, xeno threat, Seige of orison.. ive never had so much fun with the boys online, bugs and all, we loved every flaw and piss funny elevator death.

Every weekend we played, having endless fun in the greatest game ever made, and i honestly cant wait to see what this game becomes. (Irony is last weekend we couldnt login to the servers, so kinda funny in hindsight hahaha)

Colm passed away earlier today after a 6 year battle with cancer. Amputated leg, and probably 30 plus surgeries over that time peroid, I've never met anyone stronger and more ambitious to make the most out of his time here. Im so loving proud he made it to 30.

I would like to say thank you to CIG - even though we liked to complain about the game every now and then, I'm beyond grateful for what you have given us - memories we can keep forever of the pure anarchy we managed to stir up 😂

Im sorry we couldn't explore the universe together partner, but we sure as hell shook up stanton ❤️

Goodbye colm, i love you mate 07

This is pretty legit sad. What is this, the second one?

It does make me laugh that even the SC backers make fun of pisscat.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
RIP to that commando. What a poo poo deal to get all that happening before 30... :(

Bushboy2000
Jul 19, 2022

Monocled Kitten ?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm actually going to effortpost on a throwaway thread, because gently caress it.

My goons, this is what I really, really want. For as long as I can remember.

I want a game with first-person controls where you start in a barely-functioning beater in space. Something has gone wrong, star had an oopsie, warpgate exploded, whatever, but it's hosed over everyone in space and turned any planets into airless husks, and stranded you there with no way to FTL out. It is now up to you to limp your way around wrecks and half-wrecked ships and stations to get on board them, grab any food, air, water you can lay hands on to keep yourself going, and scrounge any parts you can find to patch up systems and get them working again. In the extremely rare case of coming across an okay condition ship, nothing stopping you from moving your stuff over and flying it around instead, except for any original owners who may have a problem with that. Flying and especially fighting puts wear on parts, so there's a constant entropy at play; nobody can just cruise around and rest on their laurels never having to worry that their atmospheric rejiggerator won't blow a fuse. I really like the game Tin Can for its component-level setup for spaceship systems; instead of having your Shield-O-Matic 9000 as a single module, it's a pile of chips and circuits and fuses that can break, and that can also get yanked out to plug into something else that you may need more. That's the sort of setup I'd want to see for ships you have to keep in good repair, just with a different gameplay loop than Tin Can's "survive for x minutes and everything's breaking super fast" scenarios.

The reason I bring this up in the SC thread is because being able to salvage poo poo in an open world space game is getting close to what I've always looked for. Of course, being Star Citizen, the current salvaging is just melting ships with your meltobeam and component-level stuff of being able to yank equipment out of wrecks remains a dream on the forever horizon, and while I'm sure they'll talk a big game about their plans for a fuse-swapping minigame or some poo poo, I don't expect they'll manage to get anything substantial working. My idea of a fun time is finding a complete wreck floating in space and being able to HGTV it into something good as new with concrete countertops and an open floor plan, and thus far nobody's managed to pull that off quite right.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Space Engineers kinda.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Breathedge should work for you.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's not at all the style of gameplay you're looking for, but Void Bastards is a retro FPS roguelite that has that stranded in "abandoned space, salvaging what you can" premise and feel. And it's a pretty good time to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's not at all the style of gameplay you're looking for, but Void Bastards is a retro FPS roguelite that has that stranded in "abandoned space, salvaging what you can" premise and feel. And it's a pretty good time to boot.

Just picked this up, thanks! Had never heard of it