Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Mr. Sharps posted:

lotta newer houses here have astroturf lawns too :whitewater:

my uncle told me he wanted one installed at his gaudy mcmansion and i was like well i hope you dont have any drainage issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lawns can be fine if you just plant native ground cover and never take care of it beyond mowing it when it gets too high. anything that needs to be watered or fertilized can go to hell though.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah hoas that require perfect lawn maintenance can go to hell, wild lawns forever

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the astroturf kills things that land on it by being like a billion degrees in the sun

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Real hurthling! posted:

the astroturf kills things that land on it by being like a billion degrees in the sun

bugs are all dead anyways, like 90%+ bug mass collapse since 1990, thanks to the car

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Xaris posted:

bugs are all dead anyways, like 90%+ bug mass collapse since 1990, thanks to the car

there's nary a serious problem in this country where the car hasn't been either the primary culprit or a major accomplice

mystes
May 31, 2006

Xaris posted:

Hey, suburban grass lawns treated with pesticides are playing a part too

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

lobster shirt posted:

my uncle told me he wanted one installed at his gaudy mcmansion and i was like well i hope you dont have any drainage issues

this is the pnw and even though we are technically in a drought it still rains a lot, so I wish them luck. it is funny seeing the weeds and tufts of crabgrass still managing to punch up through the layers of green plastic

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Americans: Grr I hate regulations. Freedom!

Also Americans: 3 levels of government (that I hate and want to murder) isn't enough, I need a 4th layer of government to measure lawns with a ruler and that take away people's houses that also charges me a tax.

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 21:39 on Apr 25, 2023

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Up yours woke moralists

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

gotta go to the bank again. lotta construction on the way, would be a huge pain in the rear end if I was driving.

but I’m not :cool:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

lobster shirt posted:

lawns can be fine if you just plant native ground cover and never take care of it beyond mowing it when it gets too high. anything that needs to be watered or fertilized can go to hell though.

i will never stop jerking off melbourne. majority of the lawns there were all cool native eucalypts plants and ferns and then the occasional succulent or rock lawn. it pwns. theres some grass but again mostly native stuff. australia ftw

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mystes posted:

i mean this is probably the culprit waaaay more than car but gently caress if I'm going to tender a passionate defense of them.

Where is this?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

BonHair posted:

The American island paradise

its actually in Finland
https://www.google.com/maps/@60.181827,24.9136756,15z

edit: wiki only has a page for the island in french and a bunch of fake languages so idk what the island is for but the satellite pic makes it look like a place to store boats in the winter so they don't get crushed in ice

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

Yeah I just mow whatever the hell is growing in my yard and that's it. Mostly so I don't get eaten alive by ticks walking outside. One of my co-workers was aghast that a section in my back yard was mostly moss and clover.

I'm not sure what would be better option than just mowing whatever feels like growing out there.

wash bucket has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Apr 25, 2023

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

if you feel like getting serious about native plant landscaping there's all kinds of ways to go nuts with it or like xeriscaping or the opposite with like bioswales and poo poo but personally I'm a big fan of 'mow whatever grows' as a low effort, environmentally less-unfriendly approach

ridiculous hoas and mandatory insane setbacks are another stupid related topic

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

i always dreamed of owning a house and curating a lovely front yard of native plants

owning a house, i have foolish dreams

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

mystes posted:

Habitat loss due to car sprawl is a huge contributor in of itself too. It sounds self-explanatory, but suburban sprawl encroaches onto areas that are not agriculturally productive and further reduces habitat. What is more, the topsoil is removed and sold off, so you lose all of the fungi, seeds, critters living in the soil, and centuries worth of soil organic material.

Dense urban cities are heavily advocated for in the natural sciences.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
don’t forget the people who get their lawns spray painted green in the summer

https://twitter.com/thesun/status/1439637912958636032?s=46&t=f4W3_Imk2uoLG9S3bl37LQ

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Don't worry, it's organic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

duomo posted:

https://twitter.com/thesun/status/1439637912958636032?s=46&t=f4W3_Imk2uoLG9S3bl37LQ

Turf island

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Lawn paint has to smell awful, right?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

duomo posted:

:kstare:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

duomo posted:

the genius part is they spray them yellow at night

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

see, america is good afterall. deal with it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

RockWhisperer posted:

Habitat loss due to car sprawl is a huge contributor in of itself too. It sounds self-explanatory, but suburban sprawl encroaches onto areas that are not agriculturally productive

don't worry, we're gradually moving into land that IS agriculturally productive. you know, in a future with an exploding population and rapidly shrinking productive zones

Homeless Friend posted:

the genius part is they spray them yellow at night

Writing your name in the grass

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

don't worry, we're gradually moving into land that IS agriculturally productive. you know, in a future with an exploding population and rapidly shrinking productive zones

Don't worry, we'll just increase industrial meat production, that has a lot less footprint.

Wait what do you mean the animals have to eat stuff that grows?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ternbicycles/status/1651165814949662724

lmao at this ad flexing on a pickup

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Writing your name in the grass

One of my favorite things is looking at old maps and aerial photos and finding large old farms and then looking them up today and finding all their fields filled with new construction homes and nothing left of the farm that was there for ~200 years or more.

All those old farms were built on the best available farmland which is now all developed and i just lol and lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Blessed

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!

Mayor Dave posted:

i live in a high-rise that's not on any busy streets but my balcony faces a freeway that's 2 miles away and it's still so loving loud i can't bear to spend time out there

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

duomo posted:

No thanks, I've had my chloro-fill.. ha ha ha...

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017

silicone thrills posted:

This is the only car that should be allowed to exist

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/26/1172172471/chevy-bolt-ev-gm-electric-vehicle-ending

NPR posted:

General Motors CEO Mary Barra announced in an earnings call Tuesday that the automotive giant would end production of its small, popular Chevrolet Bolt electric models at the end of the year.

Barra said it was in order to shift operations at its assembly plant in Orion Township, Mich., toward the production of two electric trucks: the GMC Sierra EV and the Chevy Silverado EV.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

wHy DoN't AmErIcAnS bUy MoRe SeNsIbLe CaRs???

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

lol More giant dangerous trophy trucks that have too small of beds to even actually be useful as trucks.

Gotta plow through more children and pedestrians with instant torque too.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

hopefully they will soon stop production of the rest of their cars as well

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

RockWhisperer posted:

Habitat loss due to car sprawl is a huge contributor in of itself too. It sounds self-explanatory, but suburban sprawl encroaches onto areas that are not agriculturally productive and further reduces habitat. What is more, the topsoil is removed and sold off, so you lose all of the fungi, seeds, critters living in the soil, and centuries worth of soil organic material.

Dense urban cities are heavily advocated for in the natural sciences.

My mom lived in the San Fernando Valley in the 50s, and it was all corn fields and orange groves.

Now it's all paved over, a maze of streets in a place that will never be put back, and not be made right again.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

skooma512 posted:

My mom lived in the San Fernando Valley in the 50s, and it was all corn fields and orange groves.

Now it's all paved over, a maze of streets in a place that will never be put back, and not be made right again.

Does your mom think that corn fields and orange groves were like... Native to the region lmao

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Clark Nova posted:

hopefully they will soon stop production of the rest of their cars as well

good news: they mostly did

bad news: its all trucks and suvs now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Related? https://twitter.com/KOINNews/status/1651290070974857237?cxt=HHwWqoCw2cLkx-otAAAA