Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Yep, the servers crashing killed my run where I got to the sixth stage of eight.

I played if FIVE times last night and didn't get past the loving second stage. God damnit, I cannot think of a showdown ever causing me this much trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I never made it past the fourth mission trying to do everything in the Showdown. Then got to 11-15 by saying "gently caress it" and just skipping straight to Castillo. That's when I gave up for the night. I wish they weren't doing this "every mission is an elimination showdown" thing this year, it's fine as a midpoint boss like in previous games but this feels excessive.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
does everyone know the trick for showdown finals and stealing?

Until you get within a certain amount of runs, I want to say like 3 or 5 or something of winning, the CPU does not even try to stop you from stealing so every hit is a triple and you should steal both bases every time until they start covering it

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I’m going to just admit something.

I’ve been using the PCI since about the last three months of 22. Against people, it’s awesome. People tend to be pretty predictable, so I just cheat the pci where I’m expecting a pitch. I work way more full counts and walks than even the top streamers I watch on occasion, because I don’t chase often.

But if you throw really high in the strike zone, I’m hosed. You’ll get through innings before I catch on.

Which is why 100+ mph fastballs from the CPU gently caress me. They will live up in the zone, and if it’s fast I’m not catching up.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Captain Log posted:

I’m going to just admit something.

I’ve been using the PCI since about the last three months of 22. Against people, it’s awesome. People tend to be pretty predictable, so I just cheat the pci where I’m expecting a pitch. I work way more full counts and walks than even the top streamers I watch on occasion, because I don’t chase often.

But if you throw really high in the strike zone, I’m hosed. You’ll get through innings before I catch on.

Which is why 100+ mph fastballs from the CPU gently caress me. They will live up in the zone, and if it’s fast I’m not catching up.

I only play against the CPU, but the high inside 4 seamer or cutter is deadly.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
for me it's just tough with right handers because I find that physically moving the stick up and to the left with precision to be the hardest movement to do quickly and accurately, you have to do it with mostly just your thumb whereas other motions can be done with some combination of thumb and like the base of the thumb/wrist and that lets you be more quick/precise with them

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Just stacked a righty killing lineup and mowed through charisma showdown on the third try. Castillo only lasted two batters to my shock, I’m NOT GOOD at the game

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not good at the game, but I'm especially not good at Showdowns. Ignore positions, stack lefties, take pitches, use bunt cheese, steal bases, whatever people suggest, I'll lose and be big mad about it.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
In case people don't know the stealing thing in Showdown, as soon as the pitcher looks over you hold right trigger and take a lead. It used to work with two leads but they definitely throw over now if you do that. Anyone above 80 speed can steal 3rd, anyone above like 60, can steal 2nd.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
So when I couldn't beat Showdowns, if the final boss is a SP, I drafted speed and bunt cheese and just dropped perfect bunts for hit after hit.

If it's an RP, take pitches until 2 strikes than either swing away or contact swing and they'll be out of energy before like 5 outs and then everything will carry.

For Castillo I just took extreme power righty and had no trouble in the finale, but a few of the intermediate challenges were tricky. Always stack Velocity boosts, and everything goes over the wall or in the gap/through the infield.

I wish I could be more helpful. There's better players than me here I'm sure but I haven't lost a Showdown this year or even struggled the slightest yet, and I've LOST games in mini seasons on all star playing catch-up on fast balls.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
What exactly is the trick to bunting? I’ve read it used to be abused and still can to an extent against the AI but I either miss or foul every time

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also that TA henchman Dee Gordon is insane for a gold card, along with the 89 Brandon Lowe card.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea my question was specifically because of that dee gordon love actually lol

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don’t even bunt with him, he just dumps 91 mph EV perfect/perfects in front of outfielders.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

the_american_dream posted:

What exactly is the trick to bunting? I’ve read it used to be abused and still can to an extent against the AI but I either miss or foul every time

Peek the reaction and fielding skill of the 3B or 2B. If the 2B is playing by the grass you can bunt at him past the pitcher and the 1B will have to cover and then as long as you have a runner faster than the pitchers route from the mound to 1B you will be safe.

Down 3B line you're just banking on slow animation and perfect placement.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

KDdidit posted:

Also that TA henchman Dee Gordon is insane for a gold card, along with the 89 Brandon Lowe card.

I've been trying to tell people about Gordon lol. He's my lead off still in ranked (and will probably be all year). He is a single and double machine + the stealing and bunting. You really need to use him to understand how he can turn poo poo contact on a pitch into a base almost always, it's unreal. Stuff you would pop out with with other batters he teleports to wherever the fielders aren't. I have him p3, very close to p4. He gets a boost from allstar bryce harper (who is incredible btw) that gets him more double and triples vs righties. He doesnt need it but the allstar bryce captain team is a fun team to use.

Oh yeah also I got Sasaki up to p5, he's so drat good. Just look at those stats topped out

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 26, 2023

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Seltzer posted:

Oh yeah also I got Sasaki up to p5, he's so drat good. Just look at those stats topped out

Ah, I'm so jealous! I'm really hurting for starting pitching and outfielders right now. I got the 99 Darvish but he's really the only starting pitcher I've liked so far. Even Glavine let me down, and I'm usually great with him!

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
This is the gold 84ish rated Dee Gordon were talking about, yes?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Want to see pain?

I took a BR Ticket to 5-1 without too much trouble. Ran into a total goon in game seven, but believed I'd done enough to pop the two irritating single ticket challenges.

If I was an angry man, I'd be angry right now.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Then I made it to the last level before Castillo in the showdown. It was loving Chafin.

I hit to the track for four of my eight outs. I got a man to third. Then a perfect-perfect was caught by the apparent God of Reflexes Detroit had covering second.

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

Captain Log posted:

Then I made it to the last level before Castillo in the showdown. It was loving Chafin.

I hit to the track for four of my eight outs. I got a man to third. Then a perfect-perfect was caught by the apparent God of Reflexes Detroit had covering second.

Same I made it round seven after a nail biter trying to beat Joe Kelly in 6 outs. I lucked out with Lou Gehrig hittin a homer after the 4th out. Then I was debating whether or not I should skip the chafin one to go to Castillo but no I decided that I needed a few more runs to make sure I could beat him then chafin took me out. I hit 1 double that whole round. Griffey stood there staring at me from second waiting the whole drat time. What a waste....

pepperchomp fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 26, 2023

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I definitely also recommend in showdown if you can draft someone like Pena or Morgan or whoever who is really fast to actually just bench them in the showdowns where you just need one or two runs and pinch run whoever gets on with them because they have more value by being able to steal second and maybe third than they do for the extra hitting ability

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I have stolen less than ten bases in my Show career.

It scares me.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Against people it's hairy but against the cpu especially they're playing with real teams so unless it's philly or something you can definitely reliably steal with any 90 speed 90 stealing kinda guys

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

I think Castillo had a good catcher but the lead ups did not. You can always steal in conquest and probably in most mini seasons

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I swear to God, this Showdown is actually set to Hall of Fame or some poo poo.

I had THREE jumping grabs at the warning track against Brain Wilson. THREE. It's the second God drat stage.

I never did the EXTREME showdown, because gently caress that. But I've never, ever, ever encountered this much bullshit trying to complete a Showdown. I normally knock them out in one try.

Also, the Charisma program looks like you're stuck at the Pirate third baseman without completing it. I'm close to a 99 God Squad, so I'm not sure any of these cards would make my team outside of Chafin and Kelly + Trevor Hoffman's Captain boost.

But I'm eleven cards away from collecting 170 for my second Set One Choice Pack. I want Babe Ruth to go along with my Chipper, God damnit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I did it. I did the God damned thing. gently caress me, that will stand out as one of the hardest vs. CPU things I've accomplished in three years of The Show.

(No, I didn't do the extreme program showdown. Chapman was the only card worth rushing to get.)

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

My friend who plays a bunch told me theres gonna be a big stub or pack sale today, forget which, but it should crash the market it bit. I'll use that opportunity to grab Trout. Trout always rules and if im spending a lot of coins its gonna be on a core card atm.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I finished the BR program last night, thought about selling Griffey Jr. but I think I'll just keep him, he kinda has everything I want and could potentially even get the Cover Athlete captain bonus which I think could be one of the few viable ones for hitters (along with the 50s and 60s one potentially and the NLB one)

I think I'll keep Jazz on the field and move him over to replace Rickey Henderson but man I do really like Rickey, it's just that stealing/speed only goes up to 99 and to accurately be Rickey he should be at like 105 or something. I really do just hit way better with lefties too, the thumb motion is just easier to cover inside pitches when I'm pushing my thumb rather than pulling it

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 28, 2023

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah now that I've completed the live series too it's a joke how bad McGwire is for the AL reward. Murakami is literally better in every single way except for quirks and he's like 25k, meanwhile I think I might use Sosa the entire year

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 28, 2023

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Seltzer posted:

My friend who plays a bunch told me theres gonna be a big stub or pack sale today, forget which, but it should crash the market it bit. I'll use that opportunity to grab Trout. Trout always rules and if im spending a lot of coins its gonna be on a core card atm.

Of course I shelled out the 100k for Edwin Diaz last night.

I still need Trout, Ohtani, Judge, Arenado, Goldschmidt, and DeGrom.

But with how Arenado has been playing, he might be cheaper pretty soon.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ok this Gallegos mission on showdown is quite difficult to the point I’m wondering if they forgot to give you more outs to use or less runs to overcome

There we go. The old complain on the Internet trick wins again

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 29, 2023

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Of course I shelled out the 100k for Edwin Diaz last night.

I still need Trout, Ohtani, Judge, Arenado, Goldschmidt, and DeGrom.

But with how Arenado has been playing, he might be cheaper pretty soon.

It didnt drop much and I berated my friend lol.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 29, 2023

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Ok there’s no way Nick Martinez is more difficult than Gallegos and Rogers which I guess is good news when I eventually figure out Rogers

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Rogers got me. First showdown loss. Three 110+ liners to players and pop ups.

I just skipped him second time. The final boss is a closing pitcher but says SP on the card and he has stamina like a SP, so you can't wait him out.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Rogers got me too I'm gonna skip him next time, only tried the SD once, I had similar results including a perfect/perfect groundout

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Rogers is easy just sit in the bottom right corner. It's like the only place he throws fastballs.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

Rogers is easy just sit in the bottom right corner. It's like the only place he throws fastballs.

I don't think the AI is that advanced, I think it's pretty much random where they throw stuff. That also wasn't my experience with him so idk, he def threw a fair amount of high fastballs to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Rogers is the only card, with the Tier Three Hoffman Boost, going on my squad. I'll never poo poo on free content, but this Mexico stuff is pretty loving underpowered.

Oh, and full of pitchers requiring 600 pxp to complete their missions. That's great. Especially on a ton of relievers.