Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the milk machine posted:

they dated for a couple months a year ago. grimes isn't raising any children, especially not with chelsea manning

love is a lie....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 373 days!
grimes and manning dated just long enough to break elons brain

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
these twitter ads are like bottom barrel stuff. like the poo poo among the chum links likehot new tool your kid can do for sports or some poo poo. the guy throwing planes among his factory workers is a notable example.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

Euphoriaphone posted:

If anything can kill the site, it's going to be pushing his subscriber cultists to the top of replies. Every thread that has even a marginal amount of engagement is now unreadable due to the endless amount of freaks that are shown before anything else. I can't imagine serious people wanting to use the site for long, since as soon as you do you're punished with a clown car of dickriders and bots shouting you down

yeah, like that trans study you have to scroll past 50 idiots before you get to the first person saying hes misunderstood the findings of the study.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Consummate Professional posted:

I have to assume that a blue check means poes law does not apply https://twitter.com/0xgaut/status/1650867275103174660?s=12

Chewing food like exactly like how humans chew food.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
it rules and is very funny that tech bros are afraid of chatbots that write ad copy that sounds like a homestar runner bit

cmon down to Senor Cardgage's Pepperoni Hug, Gramantha.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
when you've gotten rid of the bots

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Aww I think the Fritter app finally broke

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/charlie_carrel/status/1650843100971933697?s=46&t=o307xxBiew2hWqLPw2eClA

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

it's cool how social media has amplified our worst impulses and broken everyone's brains

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I have to assume that a blue check means poes law does not apply https://twitter.com/0xgaut/status/1650867275103174660?s=12

If someone with a blue check is acting like the dumbest loving person in the world, it's safe to assume it's sincere.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I've had a laugh at this three times already today. I should pay this dumb gently caress $8 for the comedy.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

mad.radhu posted:

I think this is easily distinguishable

shut up nerd

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've had a laugh at this three times already today. I should pay this dumb gently caress $8 for the comedy.

imagine first of all, even if you don't know who Steve Albini is, that you'd immediately assume that nobody else does either

same energy as this tweet:

https://twitter.com/xxenna66/status/1650326054886670338?s=20

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
holy poo poo

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sir Tonk posted:

shut up nerd

i'll kiss your lips off idiot

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Copyright is very very important to 99.9% of artists. Grimes is able to do this and say this because she has no need for money, and doesn't really need to worry about this too much. I would bet she'd take issue if some neo-nazi used her voice for some album. Copyright isn't just for Disney, it protects artists incomes. That said, copyright should end at death of the artist.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
open source but also 50% royalties

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

if the article was researched recently, they 100% got the poop emoji response, didnt they :(

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
and it was subtweet

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

mdemone posted:

imagine first of all, even if you don't know who Steve Albini is, that you'd immediately assume that nobody else does either

same energy as this tweet:

https://twitter.com/xxenna66/status/1650326054886670338?s=20

wait till this guy figures out what the beast with 2 backs is

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Virtual Russian posted:

Copyright is very very important to 99.9% of artists. Grimes is able to do this and say this because she has no need for money, and doesn't really need to worry about this too much. I would bet she'd take issue if some neo-nazi used her voice for some album. Copyright isn't just for Disney, it protects artists incomes. That said, copyright should end at death of the artist.

you're correct about Grimes, but most people that make money as musicians do not rely on royalties. I'll have to do some digging for more stats, but one of the studies I had saved arrived at this (poorly sampled) figure:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

open source but also 50% royalties

didn't she say like yesterday anyone could use her voice, no mention of royalties.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

webcams for christ posted:

you're correct about Grimes, but most people that make money as from performing music do not rely on royalties. I'll have to do some digging for more stats, but one of the studies I had saved arrived at this (poorly sampled) figure:

Music maybe, but copyright extends far beyond that. I'm a visual artist, copyright infringement is a huge problem, I've had my own work scrapped and used. Its not a ton of money, but I'm entitled to it. I did the labour that produced the value, some rear end in a top hat's got my money.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

wait till this guy figures out what the beast with 2 backs is

First intro of Juliette's Nurse has her make a joke about how she fell and bumped her head as a kid and how when she was older she'd have a much better time falling on her back.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Virtual Russian posted:

Music maybe, but copyright extends far beyond that. I'm a visual artist, copyright infringement is a huge problem, I've had my own work scrapped and used. Its not a ton of money, but I'm entitled to it. I did the labour that produced the value, some rear end in a top hat's got my money.

I agree, but anything that even smells like pro-IP posting is not received well here

potato!
Apr 24, 2008

you're correct about Grimes, but most people that make money as musicians do not rely on royalties. I'll have to do some digging for more stats, but one of the studies I had saved arrived at this (poorly sampled) figure:

Unless I'm reading this wrong, that's showing royalties at over 21% of income, which is the second biggest category there and pretty significant even if it's not a plurality.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
anything funny happen today

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

anything funny happen today

Harry Belafonte died. :(

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

potato! posted:

Unless I'm reading this wrong, that's showing royalties at over 21% of income, which is the second biggest category there and pretty significant even if it's not a plurality.

it is significant chunk of that sample, which was readers of a Singer-Songwriter blog. I think better sources I've found in the past have it around ~15%

and of course only a tiny fraction of people who make money as musicians make enough for it to be their full-time job

e: there's a big difference between "have you made more than $0 from royalties?" and "are royalties a significant portion of your gross annual income?"

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

potato! posted:

Its the proportion of respondents for whom each option was the top income source in 2022. So 21% of respondents had streaming royalties as their top income source. I guess you should include band camp sales but thats a small fraction.

It doesnt tell us the makeup of an artists income stream but still an interesting graph .. if I had to guess, Id venture the average split for a freelance musician is 50% - 30% - 20% for live music - lessons - everything else, inc royalties.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I agree, but anything that even smells like pro-IP posting is not received well here

That is because people don't like to consider art as work/labour.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

Harry Belafonte died. :(

Ok I believe you

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

potato! posted:

Merch is also about copyright. Without it I can just steal album covers and sell my own merch for popular bands.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lil poopendorfer posted:

Its the proportion of respondents for whom each option was the top income source in 2022. So 21% of respondents had streaming royalties as their top income source. I guess you should include band camp sales but thats a small fraction.

Interesting graph .. if I had to guess, Id venture the average split for a freelance musician is 50% - 30% - 20% for live music - lessons - everything else, inc royalties.

as a full-time professional musician who does not teach and has 0 side-hustles, I can tell you it varies wildly. personally, I do not know a single musician who earns more than 10% of their income from royalties, album sales, or merch. but I'm in a specific niche of the industry and know it's significantly different in other areas

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Asking someone to give up 10% of their income to randos that didn't do any work is a big ask still.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

We are going to hear about the warehouse of phones again.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Virtual Russian posted:

Asking someone to give up 10% of their income to randos that didn't do any work is a big ask still.

agreed. creators of generative models should pay a fee to artists to include their works in a training set, and then another fee each time an output is generated that relied in part on a particular work. and artists should have the right to ensure their their works are not included training models at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Also folks, just follow this simple rule: If a millionaire/billionaire is asking you to give up income for some grand project it likely isn't going to benefit anyone but them.