Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Why do we have a 7 day week and 30ish day month? It's obvious why we have 24 hour days and 365 day years, but what's the foundation for the intermediate increments?

e: I'm assuming the religious influence on a 7 day week is a codification of something more practical that pre-existed Judaism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why do we have a 7 day week and 30ish day month? It's obvious why we have 24 hour days and 365 day years, but what's the foundation for the intermediate increments?

A month is approximately a moon cycle. They used to be disconnected from the year, just like weeks are these days.
I think weeks were originally moon phases, but I am a lot less sure here.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How is 24 hours obvious? It seems pretty arbitrary to me.

Also, the reason is that the French are loving cowards who didn't stick to the revolutionary calendar.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Apologies for some half-remembered history, you can get better/correct details from Wikipedia:

The calendar we have now started from the Roman calendar, which was nominally supposed to be divided into 10 months based on the cycles of the moon It was subject to all sorts of fuckery, as consuls would extend the duration of the year to postpone elections and emperors would occasionally re-set it when it got too out of whack.

This was followed by the Julian calendar, kickstarted by Julius Caesar and was more precise as it was calculated by mathematicians and astrologers and accounted for leap years.

Later on a pope made the Gregorian calendar which is what we use now. It corrected some errors. The Julian calendar was off by a few decimal points so it gradually drifted off course.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BonHair posted:

Twenty-four has a large number of factors, so it's easy to divide up. Same thing for 360 degrees in a circle.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

BonHair posted:

Also, the reason is that the French are loving cowards who didn't stick to the revolutionary calendar.

Meant that in the sense that a day consists of an earth's revolution, and that's an obvious fundamental unit of time for people. The hours are arbitraryish, yeah.

So a modified lunar calendar explains months, but then what about weeks? I can't imagine the authors of Genesis just plucked that out of thin air.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Clearly someone has the job of designing playground equipment. What kind of educational background does that person have?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

While we're on the subject of old testament stuff, is there a theological explanation for God creating a bunch of animals, which he then even has Noah save on the ark, which He considers abominable in Leviticus? Like, He says that pigs are gross, but then why did you create and save the pigs?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

So a modified lunar calendar explains months, but then what about weeks? I can't imagine the authors of Genesis just plucked that out of thin air.
Googling "history of week" leads to the wikipedia article for weeks which says it comes from the Babylonians and that other cultures had other arbitrary week lengths.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

BonHair posted:

While we're on the subject of old testament stuff, is there a theological explanation for God creating a bunch of animals, which he then even has Noah save on the ark, which He considers abominable in Leviticus? Like, He says that pigs are gross, but then why did you create and save the pigs?

Old Testament God was arbitrary and inconsistent, is the short answer.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in about being a glasses newbie. Sounds like it's mostly just a matter of getting used to it.

alnilam posted:

How long have you tried wearing them consistently? It's normal for your brain to have an adjustment period of a week or so.

Probably the longest I've had them on is an hour or two at a stretch, and even then, I've been taking them off pretty frequently just to give my poor eyes a break. (My close-up vision is fine, so I've really only been wearing them away from home.) It seems likely that not wearing them very much is slowing down the process of adapting to them.

Still, I think I'll go back to the optometrist and see if she has any ideas. I just feel like something's got to be wrong when I constantly find myself taking off my new glasses so I can see better.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is this weird chest flap shirt that this lady in Control wears a real thing or is it just made up videogame fashion?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Meant that in the sense that a day consists of an earth's revolution, and that's an obvious fundamental unit of time for people. The hours are arbitraryish, yeah.

They plucked it from the Babylonians, who used it to mark the four phases of the moon. Plus, if you put 52 of them together it gets you really close to one solar year

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Is this weird chest flap shirt that this lady in Control wears a real thing or is it just made up videogame fashion?

Seems that the artist specifically made it up for Emily Pope https://twitter.com/samporask/status/1169939700372652032

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Killingyouguy! posted:

Clearly someone has the job of designing playground equipment. What kind of educational background does that person have?

The people who design the site and situate the pieces are landscape architects. That’s a professional degree at the master’s level. So probably a BFA in design or a BA in like geography would be helpful. The programs are very competitive. There are only two in Canada, iirc.

Landscape architects (and related engineers and designers) can also specialize and become official playground designers, some of that involves creating the furniture itself. That’s just a short professional certificate supported by an architect’s portfolio, afaik.

If you want some more details about landscape architecture and how it applies to pedagogy, The Last Child in the Woods had a surprising amount of theory of the trends in playgrounds over the last 60 years, as well as just being an excellent book.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 23, 2023

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is E=mc² a complete sentence? If so, why aren't mathematicians expected to label or qualify variables? Do they have to label variables when they put equations all over a cartoon chalkboard?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"E equals emcee squared" has a subject, a verb, a direct object, and an adjective for good measure. That counts as a sentence, sure.

As for the rest, generally mathematicians do a lot of talking and waving their hands, which doesn't usually make it onto the chalkboard.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Anything with an equals sign is a mathematical "complete sentence" of sorts. The two sides must be balanced and it expresses a relationship with some degree of completeness. It may need additional equations to describe an entire physical system, just like you might need additional sentences to describe a whole idea.

And yes generally people define their variables in a paper.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
"He bought it the week before that." is a complete sentence too, even if you have no idea who he is, what it is, or before when.
A sentence doesn't need to give you all the context to understand it in order to be grammatically complete.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"He bought it the week before that." is a complete sentence too, even if you have no idea who he is, what it is, or before when.
A sentence doesn't need to give you all the context to understand it in order to be grammatically complete.

Like so:

BennyProfane
Apr 19, 2023

by vyelkin

Baron Porkface posted:

Is E=mc² a complete sentence? If so, why aren't mathematicians expected to label or qualify variables? Do they have to label variables when they put equations all over a cartoon chalkboard?

E for total energy, m for mass, and c for the speed of light are all standard variables that you can take for granted in physical science. If you're writing a report or something I'm sure you'd still have to label the variables, but for general purpose it's not needed unless you're using a nonstandard variable.

If you type K.E. = 1/2mv², anyone who reads it in context is generally going to know perfectly well what you mean, but if you're talking about PV=nRT, one might only recognize it if they are familiar with the ideal gas law, as R in this formula is equal to 8.31432 J⋅K^−1⋅mol^−1, which is the ideal gas constant. You just have to know your audience, and by this point such a large portion of the literate audience are already aware of what E=mc² means that nobody will bothers defining the terms.

As far as complete sentences goes, E=mc² can be read as "The sum total of energy in any given amount of matter is equal to the mass of that matter multiplied by the speed of light squared", which is certainly a full sentence if you're willing to translate from mathematical symbols to the english language, the place in which complete sentences are a useable concept.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Powered Descent posted:

Still, I think I'll go back to the optometrist and see if she has any ideas. I just feel like something's got to be wrong when I constantly find myself taking off my new glasses so I can see better.

Get a new prescription.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Is there something available on Roku, Apple TV, or god forbid, Amaazon Fire Stick that is just a changing picture?

Like practically a screen saver. I like to have something on a screen while I record my show, but something not too distracting. I currently use Pluto TV: slow.tv but at the time I record I keep hitting the exact same show now, for, multiple years and need a break.

I've also tried Music Choice (but muted) but find the rock and roll facts to be annoying

Youtube is out because too many ad interruptions on set top box (and I'm using my computer so can't ad block), maybe one happens per recording on Pluto.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Chromecast's default state is just a bunch of high resolution pictures that they pull from like Getty images, you can even tweak the settings by genre so it only shows you images from a certain genre?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Rick posted:

Is there something available on Roku, Apple TV, or god forbid, Amaazon Fire Stick that is just a changing picture?

Roku has a bunch of crappy free screensavers that are mostly just different pictures that fit a theme. I'm also pretty sure you can upload your own pictures somewhere and create a custom one.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Edit: Double post

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

mllaneza posted:

Get a new prescription.

Whatever, that stuff never went way till I got zapped. It was like the world had a whole new depth. Even contacts couldn’t come close over several prescriptions.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Rick posted:

Youtube is out because too many ad interruptions on set top box (and I'm using my computer so can't ad block), maybe one happens per recording on Pluto.
I've got Newpipe sideloaded on my fire stick for ad free YouTube. Navigation through the app isn't always super intuitive with the remote (eg you must select the middle video in subscriptions before you can go up to the search field), but it works alright otherwise.

Instructions weren't overly hard to follow.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

postmodifier posted:

Chromecast's default state is just a bunch of high resolution pictures that they pull from like Getty images, you can even tweak the settings by genre so it only shows you images from a certain genre?

You can also set a specific album in Google photos as a slideshow. I have mine set to an album that automatically adds any pictures of my kids.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

postmodifier posted:

Bobfromsales posted:

You can also set a specific album in Google photos as a slideshow. I have mine set to an album that automatically adds any pictures of my kids.

Oh no, the one of these things I don't have has the thing I need. Well I'm sure one will go on sale and I'll impulse buy it eventually.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've got Newpipe sideloaded on my fire stick for ad free YouTube. Navigation through the app isn't always super intuitive with the remote (eg you must select the middle video in subscriptions before you can go up to the search field), but it works alright otherwise.

Instructions weren't overly hard to follow.

I'll try that.

Human Tornada posted:

Roku has a bunch of crappy free screensavers that are mostly just different pictures that fit a theme. I'm also pretty sure you can upload your own pictures somewhere and create a custom one.

Oh good call, I have used this in the past and just forgot about it.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Human Tornada posted:

My kids like the fish screensaver that is an animation of a bunch of different types of fish swimming around. It's now on all the tvs and my older step dad seriously sat there watching it for at least 30 minutes once...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rick posted:

Like practically a screen saver. I like to have something on a screen while I record my show, but something not too distracting. I currently use Pluto TV: slow.tv but at the time I record I keep hitting the exact same show now, for, multiple years and need a break.

I've also tried Music Choice (but muted) but find the rock and roll facts to be annoying

Yeah you can do a photos album on Apple TV as a slideshow. I have a few of the magic window apps and they’re also great, though they are specific. Like anything with waves looks a little off to me because of the way they composite their stuff. Still, perfect visualizers and fireplaces and landscapes.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rick posted:

Oh no, the one of these things I don't have has the thing I need. Well I'm sure one will go on sale and I'll impulse buy it eventually.

FWIW, they are actually currently on sale for 20 bucks (normally 30). They go on sale pretty regularly, though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
In 2008 I was given a "suspension with pay" from T-Mobile. I received a paycheck for about a month, and then simply stopped getting one. I was never informed that I had been terminated, nor did I ever sign anything. Do you suppose there is any grounds for me to collect on 15 years of paychecks I've been owed, since as far as I know I'm still in a suspended-with-pay status?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

credburn posted:

In 2008 I was given a "suspension with pay" from T-Mobile. I received a paycheck for about a month, and then simply stopped getting one. I was never informed that I had been terminated, nor did I ever sign anything. Do you suppose there is any grounds for me to collect on 15 years of paychecks I've been owed, since as far as I know I'm still in a suspended-with-pay status?

Do you think you can afford better lawyers than T-Mobile?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

credburn posted:

Do / did you live in an at-will state? If this didn't happen in Montana, then yes you did and you're SOL.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I have some old comics I'm thinking about selling, is there a place on the forums I can ask what they're worth?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

We got cable tv (really satellite, but I still call it cable) and every second ad around supper time and at least an hour and a half later is for a law firm. What is the rationale behind this time slot being so filled with those ads, or is it just cable tv?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My guess is those are the most valuable time slots, so only lawyers can afford them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I've been replaying Yoshi's Island on Nintendo Switch Online. I've just got to world 5 and the level select screen theme music has changed to a version I've never heard before.

I've been trying to Google it but can't find anything about an alternative level select theme, does anyone know what I've done to unlock it?