Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

zoux posted:

I'm thinking, is there any point to this, I could just put all my crafting stations straight on the ground
Yes, bugs will raid you over time and you have to defend your base. Others will steal food from your spits and drying racks.
Which doesn't seem like a game mechanic you'd view as positive or anything, but I just mean there is a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They can't get to me on the lilypads!

I mean ultimately in any sandbox game, I stop playing because there's a moment when something like scales fall from my eyes and I realize that everything I'm doing I'm doing for it's own sake and that instead of building a house out of green wood I'm progressing to a point where I can make a house in red wood and oh god why am I even playing this, what's even the freaking point, but the artifice matters and can push that "endgame" out longer and longer.

I do own Valheim, though I haven't played it since way way before ML came out, I'm encouraged to see people say it's fun solo because I don't like playing with people but anytime you look up anything about the game it emphasizes the co-opness of it. And it at least has a dodge roll in it, I don't like the perfect block mechanic in Grounded.

I got Smallands as well, which looks cool but the performance is dogshit so I'll wait for it to be optimized. I've heard so much raving about Sons of the Forest but I don't want to go into caves and fight cannibals, that's stressful.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah you do definitely need to engage at least a little bit with the base building stuff in Grounded, those raids were no joke and having beefy defenses made them a whole lot easier to deal with when you're staring down 2-3 Orbweavers coming at you. How far you go beyond building 4 walls and some storage is up to you, though.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

IMO Valheim is not enjoyable solo. It’s a huge grind, and you’re attacked by mobs what feels like every few minutes no matter what you’re doing. Definitely use mods for like 5x drop rate or higher.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Valheim is okay, but it has very little replay value. Any place is pretty much the same as any other place of the same biome and the "dungeons" are so rudimentary they are just not interesting or fun past the first time you might run one. I got about 150 hours out of it (and around half of that was frankly really boring stuff like sailing back and forth or digging out a big bland copper node) but I don't have any urge to go back to it.

7 Days remains the top choice for me with over a thousand hours in it and looking forward to the next major update, coming out in a few days. It's very much a Zombie Game though, that's a big caveat. So much hand-crafted POI content and they keep adding more and more of that.
e: forgot to mention, you can dig tunnels down to the bedrock and the building is very robust

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 25, 2023

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Valheim for me is a vibe game. Once the difficulty options come out I can see myself playing it a whole bunch honestly.

Pootling around grabbing logs and picking fights when I feel like it and then going home to my ever growing village with just me in it.

To me the building in that game is second to none but I hate raids and the resource rates are way too slow for solo play so I’ve barely touched it. These upcoming settings are going to make it fantastic (for me).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Conan Exiles and Ark are probably the survival builder games that ticked my boxes most of all.

Conan I played online on a PVE server with a good half dozen buddies, we build such a badass base and would delve into dungeons or go thrall gathering as a group, it was a great time.

Ark I ponied up for a private server for us, no griefing and we tuned the most time sink-y bullshit away cause we have lives.

They all got hard into Valheim but I was too busy with work to spare any time to keep up, unfortunately.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess another concern is longevity, I like to play openended games for a couple hundred hours, for example I'm moving on from about 500 hours of satisfactory, I played 400 hours of State of Decay 2 (probably gonna go back when the big new patch drops), and so on. Obviously howlongtobeat is just listing story completions so that's not a good guide, so are there any games that don't have 100+ hours worth playing?

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
It's not an extensively long game but if you haven't tried it yet, Subnautica is really fun. There's very minimal combat and there is base building. Plus the world itself is gorgeous.

Bonus points if you have thalassophobia it turns into a horror game.

My brother couldn't do it. As soon as the drop pod opened and he stared at the ocean, he quit. Lol

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

swordfish duelist posted:

It's not an extensively long game but if you haven't tried it yet, Subnautica is really fun. There's very minimal combat and there is base building. Plus the world itself is gorgeous.

Bonus points if you have thalassophobia it turns into a horror game.

My brother couldn't do it. As soon as the drop pod opened and he stared at the ocean, he quit. Lol

trick him into playing it again then take him over the edge of the world

zoux posted:

I like building bases, I like first-person melee combat less, so what games would you guys recommend for meaningful and interesting base building and less waving sticks at monsters.

Also how scary, and how combat intensive are, the Forest/Sons of the Forest and Green Hell?

depending on what you mean by "meaningful and interesting" probably something more like Satisfactory tbqh

Green Hell has very little combat, a bit more if you really go ham on base-building and piss off the locals. The bases are... mostly pointless TBQH, once you're even vaguely in a place to build one you can just as easily forage everything and sleep in a little leaf shelter next to a campfire, but they're reasonably sophisticated and aren't purely ornamental

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 25, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm playing it right now actually, while I rotate between that and Grounded as I wait for inspiration. The big issue there is that the base building seems very light, more arranging pods than building stuff. Absolutely top notch exploration of course, but I wanna squat and build.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

trick him into playing it again then take him over the edge of the world

Pretty sure his heart would stop. It's funny, we were born and raised in Florida and he was in and around water our entire childhood. So I'm not sure where this came from.

But yeah, the base building is very light.

7 days is a solid choice, you can turn down the hordes.

What about something like Vintage Story? It's like minecraft but more survival based.

Fake edit: if you've played these before and mentioned it I'm sorry.

Edit: Scrap Mechanic has pretty fun vehicle building and some base defense since you have to protect your farms

Draven fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 25, 2023

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

vintage story has very satisfying crafting, kinda meh construction, and pretty much breaks if you turn off the hitting monsters with sticks part.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

From googling around, it seems like there are basically ~20 acceptable survival games and no one is going to reveal some gem I'm unaware of, but thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to give Green Hell a try.

7 Days to Die has been in alpha for 10 years????

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zoux posted:

State of Decay 2 (probably gonna go back when the big new patch drops)

Holy poo poo they're doing another State of Decay 2 update and it looks pretty good :O

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I bounced off Green Hell a couple times now. I think I would enjoy it more with others.

I really dont know what it is, I just seem perpetually lost and just die to the jungle. I'm also not good at games anymore. Haha.

Has anyone played SCUM lately? My brother and I played a private PVE server with the zombies cranked up to compensate not having players and it was a pretty good time. I wonder if it's been improved at all because while fun, it was buggy.

We had to make sure to log out away from our base because the game would try to load everything at the same time and you'd just time out.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

SCUM has made some good/interesting changes and additions lately but im still mainly waiting for them to add more of that PVE content they've been promising and showing models on twitter for before diving back into it fully

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Speaking of Grounded, they just put out a 1.2 update with some QoL changes, new furniture and a “cozy” meter for your base which will unlock stuff the higher it gets. Which means that buidling out your base will actually do something!

Oh, and also they added wasps D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OH6IZ3Yf_8

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

zoux posted:

7 Days to Die has been in alpha for 10 years????

I mean, yeah, but their alpha has an immense amount of content and polish, it's an insane value even at full price

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh wow, nice of Obsidian to see my earlier post and then craft that entire patch to address my concerns with Grounded this afternoon.

Flesh Forge posted:

I mean, yeah, but their alpha has an immense amount of content and polish, it's an insane value even at full price

I think I may be conflating 7 days with DayZ, one of those is a clusterfuck right? Also how much can I turn zombies off/down in 7 days?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You can turn off Blood Moon, the siege mechanic that sends hordes of zombies that ignore stealth and line of sight, they just path straight to you until they get you; and there's mods that adjust, disable and replace zombies in various ways

E: DayZ is the clusterfuck game yes

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
7Days may not be for you if you just want a more pure survival aspect, it's fairly light on that front, the real meat of the game is the looting and the amazingly made (for this type of game) 'dungeons'. But yeah, allot of people prefer to play with the blood moon hordes off and instead increase the frequency/size of wandering hordes instead, since the blood moon hordes will pigeon hole you into building separate, usually cheesy, bases specifically for them. And as the game state advances will include absolute bullshit designed to counter that.

But really, no other survival game beats 7Days on it's POI's.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The real value in 7 Days is all the hundreds of handcrafted PoIs each with a little bit of internal randomization and the awesome map generator that shuffles them all together in a pretty engaging way, the maps are just awesome tbh more than the rest of the game

And you can take over any PoI and renovate it, dig a big underground bunker lined with reinforced concrete, paint it hot pink, go nuts

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Someone on that dev team just loves the idea of zombies in closets when they handcraft these POIs.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

7 Days is like the quintessential co-op game that makes you feel like you felt in your highschool days: get home and just play with your best bud for hours and have a grand old time, laughing at the hilarious moments, being scared during the tense moments and then the ultimate sense of achievement when you hold off a horde. It's an amazing game to play with a friend.

All this talk of Alpha 21 makes me sad because I no longer have anyone to play it with, but my previous playthrough was a 10/10 experience.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Qubee posted:

7 Days is like the quintessential co-op game that makes you feel like you felt in your highschool days: get home and just play with your best bud for hours and have a grand old time, laughing at the hilarious moments, being scared during the tense moments and then the ultimate sense of achievement when you hold off a horde. It's an amazing game to play with a friend.

All this talk of Alpha 21 makes me sad because I no longer have anyone to play it with, but my previous playthrough was a 10/10 experience.

And then you eject that one guy from your group because he kept secreting away all the skillbooks.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SCUM is due to a bigger patch in the near future they keep promising with some new mechanics like the cooking rework - their latest dev update leads me to think it's not super far away now. So I would probably try it again after that although it doesn't seem like the much needed PVE content is still coming.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/513710/view/3729585915983007868

It is a fun game but sorely needs some PvE content, killing the same zombies over and over gets pretty old.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Grounded has an arachnophobia setting to change the appearance of spiders, and I'm hoping they put in a trypophobia setting to change the appearance of the hornet nests. Because ugggh they freak me out.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Qubee posted:

What if your friends go out and do the fun stuff and never once realize how god drat much time it takes to keep 3-4 people fed with ammo for a horde night?!

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
That's okay. I experienced the pure joy of being the dude who likes just doing a bunch of mining / crafting, and my exploring friends got to experience the fun of running over the many, many, unmarked mining holes dotted around the base.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

metasynthetic posted:

That's okay. I experienced the pure joy of being the dude who likes just doing a bunch of mining / crafting, and my exploring friends got to experience the fun of running over the many, many, unmarked mining holes dotted around the base.

Hello, fellow mining/crafting buddy.

I find it super soothing in the same way Powerwash Simulator is. I almost always end up gravitsting towards something like it when I co-op in games like that.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Another thing about 7D is that there are a ton of complete overhaul mods that add a bunch of new stuff. Some of them are grindy AF, though if you are really into resource gathering then that might be just your bag. Obviously with A21 all of those mods are going to need fixing, but it might be a good time to jump in as a new player with vanilla. The first time I played I turned blood moons off and learned the game basics. It's a lot of fun to design a good horde base though.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

TeaJay posted:

It is a fun game but sorely needs some PvE content, killing the same zombies over and over gets pretty old.

one of the lead devs (?) regularly posts models and art on twitter of all the weird monsters they plan on adding and drat its gonna be cool as hell once they add em

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

To be fair I also self selected to be the “Base Mom” as I dubbed it. It felt really satisfying for them to go out with a shopping list for me and come back before hoard night to see they had an entire chest of goodies such that you didn’t need to worry on hoard nights - spray away!

My buddy is trying to sell me on a “darkness falls” mod and I haven’t looked into it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Anime Store Adventure posted:

What if your friends go out and do the fun stuff and never once realize how god drat much time it takes to keep 3-4 people fed with ammo for a horde night?!

I am forever cursed by an ancient witch to be the only logistics guy in my survival game play groups, where everyone else just wants to run around and do adventure stuff so I spend 99% of my time in-game building up the base and making sure everyone is fed and provisioned in between bouts of reorganizing the storage bins because everyone got back from a loot run and dumped all of the loot they found in an disorganized mass into the first box they found before leaving again.

I did a Darkness Falls 7 Days playthrough to basically endgame tech with 3 friends and I'm reasonably certain at least one of them managed to go through the entire playthrough without understanding where metal comes from.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I like cooking in most of these games and I always like if there is a food system where actual cooked food gives you bonuses, buffs, removes hunger etc. so in Vintage Story, Zomboid and SCUM I'm usually the chef who gets food / drink preparations rolling first while others go for combat first.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

VegasGoat posted:

IMO Valheim is not enjoyable solo. It’s a huge grind, and you’re attacked by mobs what feels like every few minutes no matter what you’re doing. Definitely use mods for like 5x drop rate or higher.

It's only really a huge grind if you're doing something on a huge scale.

Solo, each biome took me about two hours? It takes longer if you don't make a little outpost at each place, but I ended up doing that.

On a multiplayer server i spent way longer making a giant castle and that took something like 20 hours, but I was also unemployed and a giant castle is kinda way beyond what they expect you to do. A cozy hearth and a wall doesn't take long at all and will last you the game.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

TeaJay posted:

I like cooking in most of these games and I always like if there is a food system where actual cooked food gives you bonuses, buffs, removes hunger etc. so in Vintage Story, Zomboid and SCUM I'm usually the chef who gets food / drink preparations rolling first while others go for combat first.

You should play ECO

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

To be fair I also self selected to be the “Base Mom” as I dubbed it.

So much Base Mom representation in this thread.

I personally find the "number go up" of logistics and supplies coming in soothing and the rationing of supplies entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

To be fair I also self selected to be the “Base Mom” as I dubbed it. It felt really satisfying for them to go out with a shopping list for me and come back before hoard night to see they had an entire chest of goodies such that you didn’t need to worry on hoard nights - spray away!

My buddy is trying to sell me on a “darkness falls” mod and I haven’t looked into it.

Base Mothers United, someone’s gotta make our ramshackle house feel like a home.

I want to say I tried Darkness Falls on a server once? There’s been a couple of 7DTD mods that I played that added some decent late game content but one in particular was powerfully unfun because it gave certain zombies immunity to certain guns unless you had certain anti radiation properties on them. It went kind of beyond the pale with other weirdness too and it fell into the classic modder mistake of conflating difficulty with tedium. I couldn’t tell you if it was darkness falls or not. But if your buddy is hosting the server or has the ability to adjust mod specific settings then it’s a moot point anyway since you could probably sand down the rough edges easily.