Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s pretty fun so far, I’d definitely recommend it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

The Dungeon that Kills all Adventureres
Dowman Seiman is back at it again and this time he's jumped into the isekai genre with a story about two girls that died and are now forced to maintenance staff for a dungeon. Going by his previous works and the current chapters expect debauchery, drugs, humor, and lots of bodies. Good thing being workers in the dungeon grants infinite respawns

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
two new chapters of faraway paladin!

The first one being almost constant two-page spreads, and incredible ones at that, makes me sad we'll never see them animated

And what a pair of chapters, christ. We finally, finally, see the bastard dragon in the flesh. and he is suitably prideful and lordly, as expected.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Oh that group filled in the chapter gap, I never noticed. Guess I've got a bunch to binge through!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Captain Invictus posted:

two new chapters of faraway paladin!

The first one being almost constant two-page spreads, and incredible ones at that, makes me sad we'll never see them animated

And what a pair of chapters, christ. We finally, finally, see the bastard dragon in the flesh. and he is suitably prideful and lordly, as expected.

Yeah, if you want to keep up to date, the translator typically posts it to https://manhwafreak.com/manga/saihate-no-paladin/ and then a third-party collects the chapter chunks and posts them to mangadex eventually.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
i was reading the level 99/hidden boss but not the demon lord manga for a bit but didn’t really get what the hook was supposed to be, and was wondering if something was being lost in scanlation. but now that it’s available as light novel prepubs on jnovel i get it. she’s an oblivious girl who’s good at sports (mind-bogglingly bad at figuring out other people, too statted out for the normal pass result on all skill checks). it’s not gripping storywise or anything but at least the humor is comprehensible and it seems to be going somewhere at a tolerable pace

e: to clarify the material facts of what happens are comprehensible in the manga they just don’t seem to land as humor? whereas the light novel seems to make it work. may be an issue on my end

this allusion meant fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 21, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a new Mynoghra dropped.

I have heard that after the events of the last chapter in the LN(or was it WN? I forget) the series goes downhill. but I'll stick with it for a while longer, though I can certainly understand why people would think that way after those events. that said, man these girls just can't catch a break, huh. and now they've mirrored insanity of each other.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Slave harem girlfriend(s) plotlines excepted, I realized that I'd be fine playing a lot of dumb Isekai stories as a video game.

I Got a Cheat Ability in a Different World, and Became Extraordinary Even in the Real World, that floating castle one with all the drones, the cave king mining one, the hell mode summoner one, etc

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Reading some isekai trash called A Gamemaster Logged Into a Differnt World today and

quote:

Now that I thought about it, I couldn’t really condemn slavery as a whole. Some sold themselves into slavery to feed their families while others did so to be fed. I also didn’t have an issue with turning criminals into slaves.

Such stories were commonplace—even in Japan a few centuries ago—and, if you stopped to consider history at large, issues often arose when slavery was prohibited. People suddenly found themselves unable to provide for their families and died of hunger, while others had to work themselves to the bone for a meager wage.

I found myself wondering whether those people had regretted being granted their freedom. At least they got to eat as slaves.This also had an influence on unemployment rates. When a cheaper workforce suddenly flooded the market, the workers that had previously occupied low-wage positions struggled even more. Even in the modern world, there were plenty of companies that offered poo poo conditions, making their workers slave away on low salaries twelve hours a day, 365 days a year without a single day off.

All in all, my point was that, sometimes, ending slavery brought more trouble to everyone than keeping the system going.

main spends the first two chapters attacking slave ships but apparently only because he doesn't like those particular slavers.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

RareAcumen posted:

I Got a Cheat Ability in a Different World, and Became Extraordinary Even in the Real World
It'd have to be like that Princess Raiser game where you grind in the Isekai to buff stats IRL to prepare for the dating sim part of the game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Guyver posted:

main spends the first two chapters attacking slave ships but apparently only because he doesn't like those particular slavers.
slavery may enslave a lot of people but it also affects the unemployment rate so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Guyver posted:

Reading some isekai trash called A Gamemaster Logged Into a Differnt World today and

Drils tweet about drunk driving but about slavery

Fake e

Well poo poo

DACK FAYDEN posted:

slavery may enslave a lot of people but it also affects the unemployment rate so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not

Dont shotgun you're posts kids

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

RareAcumen posted:

Slave harem girlfriend(s) plotlines excepted, I realized that I'd be fine playing a lot of dumb Isekai stories as a video game.

I Got a Cheat Ability in a Different World, and Became Extraordinary Even in the Real World,

This is kinda how persona works. You get the ability to go into nighttime dungeons and get rich and this let's you afford super supplements and better tutors and this means by the end of the year you've become the best sports star with the highest grades.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Guyver posted:

Getting this far into comparing slavery to modern capitalism and then falling flat on your face that hmm yes the traditional way must have been better instead of maybe we shouldnt have economic systems about exploiting the many for the gain of a few

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

It'd have to be like that Princess Raiser game where you grind in the Isekai to buff stats IRL to prepare for the dating sim part of the game.

RPG like Disco Elysium where you get high enough stats in the RPG world to affect you in the real world too and actually pull off stat checks like being able to climb the rope in gym or speeding across the street to save a kid from being hit by a car

KittyEmpress posted:

This is kinda how persona works. You get the ability to go into nighttime dungeons and get rich and this let's you afford super supplements and better tutors and this means by the end of the year you've become the best sports star with the highest grades.

Yeah, except doing stuff in the fantasy world would actually have an effect on you in real life that people notice and comment on

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Fellis posted:

Getting this far into comparing slavery to modern capitalism and then falling flat on your face that hmm yes the traditional way must have been better instead of maybe we shouldnt have economic systems about exploiting the many for the gain of a few
That's the limits of their imagination. The Gamemaster Logged Into a Not So Different World.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 24, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Academy's Undercover Professor getting a bit better after the really big letdown of the werewolf arc

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

RareAcumen posted:

RPG like Disco Elysium where you get high enough stats in the RPG world to affect you in the real world too and actually pull off stat checks like being able to climb the rope in gym or speeding across the street to save a kid from being hit by a car

Yeah, except doing stuff in the fantasy world would actually have an effect on you in real life that people notice and comment on

same but if I was granted irl the same stats I had by the end of Disco Elysium, the first thing I'd do would be to [REDACTED] right out the loving window

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jeeeeesus christ. I'd fallen behind on re:zero a while back, and am catching up on the manga.

"Behold an unthinkable present" is a nearly meaningless sentence withiut context, but with context it is absolutely mortifying

I'd started to lose the plot amidst The Sanctuary stuff, but got back in and this series continues to surprise me.

I don't want to go digging due to spoilers, but is the original work completed, or is it still being worked on? Some series go on forever and others know when to wrap it up, hopefully re:zero is the latter, I'd hate to see it fall into some kind of status quo hell.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
i feel like even/if the main series ends, there's so many things to make a spin-off series of to just keep making content.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I Got a Cheat Ability in a Different World, and Became Extraordinary Even in the Real World

I started watching the anime for this one and I loving hate it. Which is weird because I enjoyed the manga. I don't know if it's just cause I know the plot beats or if the manga was organized better or what, but the anime is just absolutely insufferable.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GateOfD posted:

teacher isekais are pretty fun.

"so to make magic stronger...the secret is..

use your imagination!"

*mind gets blown*

The isekai web serial Ar'kendrithyst almost has this issue, but it fortunately ends up getting explained. For a while I was like "this is dumb, someone must have figured this out," though.

That's actually the case with a lot of stuff in that story. Many plot elements that seem dubious but are inevitably explained later.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

GateOfD posted:

teacher isekais are pretty fun.

"so to make magic stronger...the secret is..

use your imagination!"

*mind gets blown*

I mean, it is an accurate commentary on the shittiness of school where they just teach you to pass tests.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

*Cues flashback training montage*
This chapter is why the patriarch of their Giant clan is afraid of Alice and what Hinako has done for her life. But it's also cool to see that even with how fixated on her sister she is, Alice was still able to reach out to others and make some connections in her world. Get hosed Wendigo, now lets see how the oldest sister is handling her conflict.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
in the latest eminence in shadow, we find out Cid's only true weakness: trying to post his chuuni poo poo on 2chan

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

in the latest eminence in shadow, we find out Cid's only true weakness: trying to post his chuuni poo poo on 2chan

Haven't laughed this hard at a chapter since the sword fight with Lady Trips-a-lot.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That whole section is :kiss:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
In every place, in every age, the deeds of posters remain the same...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I Got a Cheat Ability in a Different World, and Can't Stop Posting in the Real World

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Shangri-La Frontier has a tournament arc going on, but its pretty dope and the newest chapters are about the ex-PK psychopath character getting to play as a villian in an immersive fighting game/superhero simulator. I’d link examples but there’s nothing that’s great standalone, its just one page after the other

https://mangadex.org/title/29ab6984-7c1d-4d45-b925-25aa082b492e/shangri-la-frontier-kusoge-hunter-kamige-ni-idoman-to-su

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Fellis posted:

Shangri-La Frontier has a tournament arc going on, but its pretty dope and the newest chapters are about the ex-PK psychopath character getting to play as a villian in an immersive fighting game/superhero simulator. I’d link examples but there’s nothing that’s great standalone, its just one page after the other

https://mangadex.org/title/29ab6984-7c1d-4d45-b925-25aa082b492e/shangri-la-frontier-kusoge-hunter-kamige-ni-idoman-to-su

Pretty dope and the anime should be coming out in a few months

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TwoPair posted:

I Got a Cheat Ability in a Different World, and Can't Stop Posting in the Real World

Even 9999 CHA Can't Make My Posts Good

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Yinlock posted:

Even 9999 CHA Can't Make My Posts Good
:eng99:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Fellis posted:

pencil fuckin owns

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fereydun posted:

pencil fuckin owns

Yes...yes she does. I just love the reaction faces from the announcers and the crowd.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but the manga is running for the Kodansha Award for Best Shonen. Here's to hoping it wins.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 5, 2023

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Anyone reading anything new that's not literal trash?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
no i love trash

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

kirbysuperstar posted:

no i love trash

:same:

I haven't read any new isekai lately anyway, but it's all trash so who cares.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

drilldo squirt posted:

Anyone reading anything new that's not literal trash?
Newest thing I remember reading is: "I May Be a Guild Receptionist, but I’ll Solo Any Boss to Clock Out on Time" but looking it up, it is a year old. And not technically isekai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Surviving The Game as a Barbarian is a game isekai that looks promising. There are no stats or status screens, at least so far. Also the game is a masocore dark fantasy dungeon roguelike.