Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Is this passé? A Best all time starting 5

PG: Steph
SG: MJ
SF: Bron
Pf: KD
C: KG

I think Duncan would be too slow to guard many modern players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i think you may be forgetting one or two big men, historically. possibly

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
incredible playoff games happening
Yall wanna talk about some retired folk

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Nuggets game wasn't on tv but I guess Jokic had a quiet night with only 28/15/12

8-29 from the field, he got helped with a fair number of FTs. He did play well, the Nuggets as a whole did. It was a tough gritty game.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Metapod posted:

incredible playoff games happening
Yall wanna talk about some retired folk

theres a plumlee on my screen

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Wolves didn't go out like chumps which is about as good as I could ask for after the way the season went.

Gonna be an interesting offseason.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Edwards did a good impression of Forest Griffith running to the back of the arena.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

CoolRanch posted:

When you make an all-time starting 5, you have to state your objectives and parameters. If you want 5 guys who can run a modern system with maximum efficiency as they are, you'd be better off replacing MJ with, I don't know, James Harden maybe and KG with Dirk. Floor spacing is everything in the modern game.

If you're making allowances for older players to practice and learn the modern style, you can be a lot more creative. MJ would definitely learn to shoot threes better if he came up in the last 10 years. KG would replace his 20-footers with 3s for sure. Magic could be a LeBron-like scorer and playmaker. Who knows what Wilt would be capable of?

Currently: If Devin Booker and KD continue playing like this, other teams are going to have serious problems.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

if I'm building a team I'd swap out KD for Rodman because as super teams have proved the third guy always has his numbers go way down so I'd rather take a guy who was probably the best pure rebounder ever

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ghost Dog posted:

theres a plumlee on my screen

Gotta turn on your monitor buddy

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

IcePhoenix posted:

if I'm building a team I'd swap out KD for Rodman because as super teams have proved the third guy always has his numbers go way down so I'd rather take a guy who was probably the best pure rebounder ever

This might be a hot take but I think Bill Russell was a better player than Rodman

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Metapod posted:

Gotta turn on your monitor buddy

now theres a big jerk!!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This might be a hot take but I think Bill Russell was a better player than Rodman

Bill Russell was a center and if you think I, a Timberwolves fan, am subbing out KG you're clinically insane

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Bill Russell was a center and if you think I, a Timberwolves fan, am subbing out KG you're clinically insane

KG can play power forward my dude. Prime Garnett basically played the 3

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mechafunkzilla posted:

KG can play power forward my dude. Prime Garnett basically played the 3

he's a center in the list though :)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

he's a center in the list though :)

Yeah and Durant is a power forward in the list. The list is dumb and bad

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

IcePhoenix posted:

The Wolves didn't go out like chumps which is about as good as I could ask for after the way the season went.

Gonna be an interesting offseason.

If you ignore the first Nuggets game and the win over the Pelicans, I think every single game the Wolves played was within 10 or even 5 points. Definition of competitive play.

Now to see if they can build on that.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i hope tomorrow is crazy

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
THE LIST IS COOL AND GOOD.

I Should have clarified, the target was to create the best “Modern Day” line up using players from any era with their skills as-is, at their peak.
And as far as me using positions, how else do we describe lineups?

Anyway - I think KG would be a better fit on defense (chasing guards, defending the perimeter) than most all time centers based on the way the game is played today. Obviously Lakers era Shaq would destroy on offense, But imagine him try to defend the 3.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Book

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

CoolRanch posted:

Best to ever play the positions is fun, but that team would be a loving mess.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

still unconvinced re: books ability to hoop. he can clearly ball, tho

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Tim Duncan would be fine in the modern game. He would dominate.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Denver and Phoenix both won their series in 5 games in ways that made me less confident in them the winner definitely needs to do so decisively cause them boys are shaky

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

https://twitter.com/nbaontnt/status/1651087669445685248?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CoolRanch posted:

THE LIST IS COOL AND GOOD.

I Should have clarified, the target was to create the best “Modern Day” line up using players from any era with their skills as, at their peak.
And as far as me using positions, how else do we describe lineups?

Anyway - I think KG would be a better fit on defense (chasing guards, defending the perimeter) than most all time centers based on the way the game is played today. Obviously Lakers era Shaq would destroy on offense, But imagine him try to defend the 3.

Honestly if you wanted to craft a "modern" team you would just put huge athletic freaks who can run and defend 3-4 positions everywhere, something like:
Lebron
MJ
Kawhi/Garnett/Giannis, pick 2
Bill Russell

good luck against that lineup lmao

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Metapod posted:

Denver and Phoenix both won their series in 5 games in ways that made me less confident in them the winner definitely needs to do so decisively cause them boys are shaky

Pretty sure Denver is going to stomp on the Suns.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Honestly if you wanted to craft a "modern" team you would just put huge athletic freaks who can run and defend 3-4 positions everywhere, something like:
Lebron
MJ
Kawhi/Garnett/Giannis, pick 2
Bill Russell

good luck against that lineup lmao

KG over Giannis simply for dawg factor.
Giannis is a cornball.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Tim Duncan would be fine in the modern game. He would dominate.

This is true based on the fact that even old-rear end Timmy was still pretty effective against Big 3 Heat a mere 9 years ago.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't get how these arena things happen, the NBA schedules around arena schedules are teams just not submitting them to the league or scheduling events after the playoff schedule is out?? Happens to someone every other year.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

SourKraut posted:

Pretty sure Denver is going to stomp on the Suns.

kd ayton and cp3 are going to be completely gassed by the 2nd quarter of game 2 of that wcf. but personally i think either the kings (if fox is healthy) or the warriors beat the suns.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Did Ayton guard Jokic well two years ago? Must not have been that bad since they swept.
Nugs and Suns both have a lot of offensive fire power, but I'm not super confident in either of their defense. I think it'll be close.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Blind Pineapple posted:

This is true based on the fact that even old-rear end Timmy was still pretty effective against Big 3 Heat a mere 9 years ago.

Look we all know Tim Duncan would be rendered ineffective by a team that runs and shoots threes. That's why when he played the SSOL Suns in the playoffs in 2005 2007 and 2008 he won every series and only averaged 27 points / 14 rebounds / 3 blocks

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 26, 2023

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I love Kawhi - he really has it sorted. Show up and ball out enough to make it look like your team COULD potentially win and justify your paycheck, but then take the rest of the year off.

All these other idiots playing hundreds of games each year and screwing up their career win percentages.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

snyprmag posted:

Did Ayton guard Jokic well two years ago? Must not have been that bad since they swept.
Nugs and Suns both have a lot of offensive fire power, but I'm not super confident in either of their defense. I think it'll be close.

Ayton guards Jokic better than anyone

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I can’t believe people are leaving Wilt off the team.

Curry/Jordan/LeBron/Dirk/Wilt

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 26, 2023

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Spacebump posted:

I can’t believe people are leaving Wilt off the team.

Curry/Jordan/LeBron/Dirk/Wilt

It kinda comes down to if we're talking about actual theoretical teams running an offense or just listing the best players in each position. Wilt was obviously an incredible player but I think he actually makes a team with guys like Jordan/LeBron/Curry way worse offensively because his usage was so high. Also with Dirk you'd have 2 iso bigs who both like to get the ball on the left block so that wouldn't work

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 26, 2023

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

CoolRanch posted:

:allears:

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

CoolRanch posted:

We literally were just talking about how Duncan is so massively underappreciated not even 2 pages ago :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

with enough modern training and coaching you could easily teach wilt all kinds of things that didnt exist back when he played. like how to play basketball for instance