Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Best practice when a neighbor is building a fence is don't say poo poo about the fence ever for the rest of your life

Well, after you double check the property line to make sure they didn't just annex six inches of your yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
In my area, if the posts are facing you, it's your fence.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Well, after you double check the property line to make sure they didn't just annex six inches of your yard.

I’m dumb and didn’t get a survey when I bought the place (to be clear, next time I buy I am 100% doing this, in retrospect I feel it was negligent to not do), but the property is kind of “stepped”, in that there is a concrete retaining wall on one side and a wooden retaining wall/step down on the other. These look like they have been there forever, and it’s very unlikely, in my estimation, these arent the correct property lines. On top of that, my neighborhood is a very boring set of suburban squares and rectangles, seems like it would be unlikely for there to be too much property line fuckery

That is to say, as long as the builders don’t change the pre-existing fence line, I think I’m all good.

hobbez fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 21, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

hobbez posted:

I’m dumb and didn’t get a survey when I bought the place (to be clear, next time I buy I am 100% doing this, in retrospect I feel it was negligent to not do), but the property is kind of “stepped”, in that there is a concrete retaining wall on one side and a wooden retaining wall/step down on the other. These look like they have been there forever, and it’s very unlikely, in my estimation, these arent the correct property lines. On top of that, my neighborhood is a very boring set of suburban squares and rectangles, seems like it would be unlikely for there to be too much property line fuckery

That is to say, as long as the builders don’t change the pre-existing fence line, I think I’m all good.

The great news is you can do this at any time. in my area in Colorado there's a place where you can order prints if they've surveyed your land before. There's like a 30% chance it's up there which is nice, then you can just measure and decide if you need a pro to review it again.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

StormDrain posted:

The great news is you can do this at any time. in my area in Colorado there's a place where you can order prints if they've surveyed your land before. There's like a 30% chance it's up there which is nice, then you can just measure and decide if you need a pro to review it again.

Sick! I live in Colorado too, where do you do this?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

So you pay for asurvey and find out your neighbor “stole” six inches of yard. What are you going to do about it? (Correct answer is nothing because that would be insane)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Would title insurance cover that?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

blue squares posted:

So you pay for asurvey and find out your neighbor “stole” six inches of yard. What are you going to do about it? (Correct answer is nothing because that would be insane)

Sounds more like the neighbor bought me a fence and installed it for me! Sick!!!

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
New homeowner here. Closed on our place in early February and moved in mid-March. House was built in 1978, the previous owners purchased it in 2009. During the home inspection, the PO told inspector that access panel to the attic was taped off by the owners before them; they had said that insulation was blown (I think) into the attic and then taped the panel closed. The PO said they had never been in the attic and it was not inspected.

In late February, I noticed ice dams on the front eaves:

In late March I went up on the roof to shovel the snow off the ice dams and I found a patch of the roof that was completely melted. I think that is over the bathroom, probably the edge of the shower and the closet.

I took care of the ice dams on front and back and we since have had a warm spell that completely melted everything from the roof. We now have snow again over the past few days and when I checked this morning, that spot was not melted yet (for whatever that is worth).

My electrical utility offers a free energy audit. I reached out them a month ago and again last week. They said it takes a while for the company they work with to reach out. The utility covers the basic audit (they come out, look at the place, and give recommendations). If I want to include an IR scan or blower test, I would pay for that adder.

I don't want to be losing a bunch of heat through my roof and I'm sure that's not helping the ice dam situation. Any suggestions on next steps?

I'm sure it all depends on what is going on up there. It might be that a spot was simply missed or the insulation needs to be bulked up, or a more complicated issue.

I would assume that I want the IR scan from the energy audit. Any thoughts on if a blower test is generally useful?

We had a general contractor do some work in the house in the beginning of March (replacing the shower in that bathroom, some carpet replacement, and other stuff). We had planned on hiring them to install a vent fan in that bathroom. We didn't have it included in the March work since the roof was covered in snow and they said it would be better to do that as a separate job in the spring.

Is this the type of work that general contractor would normally do, or do I want someone more specialized?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

hobbez posted:

Sick! I live in Colorado too, where do you do this?

I'll look for the website later and post it. I failed to find it yesterday so maybe it's gone.

https://www.copls.com/index.php?page=searcharchives

Edit a little different than I remember, it's just the archives from this company. I must have found it because they did my first survey.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 22, 2023

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

jjack229 posted:

New homeowner here. Closed on our place in early February and moved in mid-March. House was built in 1978, the previous owners purchased it in 2009. During the home inspection, the PO told inspector that access panel to the attic was taped off by the owners before them; they had said that insulation was blown (I think) into the attic and then taped the panel closed. The PO said they had never been in the attic and it was not inspected.

In late February, I noticed ice dams on the front eaves:

In late March I went up on the roof to shovel the snow off the ice dams and I found a patch of the roof that was completely melted. I think that is over the bathroom, probably the edge of the shower and the closet.

I took care of the ice dams on front and back and we since have had a warm spell that completely melted everything from the roof. We now have snow again over the past few days and when I checked this morning, that spot was not melted yet (for whatever that is worth).

My electrical utility offers a free energy audit. I reached out them a month ago and again last week. They said it takes a while for the company they work with to reach out. The utility covers the basic audit (they come out, look at the place, and give recommendations). If I want to include an IR scan or blower test, I would pay for that adder.

I don't want to be losing a bunch of heat through my roof and I'm sure that's not helping the ice dam situation. Any suggestions on next steps?

I'm sure it all depends on what is going on up there. It might be that a spot was simply missed or the insulation needs to be bulked up, or a more complicated issue.

I would assume that I want the IR scan from the energy audit. Any thoughts on if a blower test is generally useful?

We had a general contractor do some work in the house in the beginning of March (replacing the shower in that bathroom, some carpet replacement, and other stuff). We had planned on hiring them to install a vent fan in that bathroom. We didn't have it included in the March work since the roof was covered in snow and they said it would be better to do that as a separate job in the spring.

Is this the type of work that general contractor would normally do, or do I want someone more specialized?

Why don't you just look into the attic and see what is in there and if anything looks off near the spot where stuff melted? I mean, at this point it sounds like you have no idea what is up there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

blue squares posted:

You need to be careful about doing nothing because it can cause weirdness in the future.

At a bare minimum I'd get a survey done, inform my neighbor that they built the fence on my property, and then get documents drawn up that everyone signs recognizing that the fence is, in fact, on my property.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Douche4Sale posted:

Why don't you just look into the attic and see what is in there and if anything looks off near the spot where stuff melted? I mean, at this point it sounds like you have no idea what is up there.

I haven't gotten around to it yet with all the other moving in stuff, but it makes sense that should be one of the my next steps. I'll need to take down some shelves in the closet to actually get a ladder in there.

I'm guessing I should have a vacuum on hand in case a bunch of loose insulation falls down when I take out the access panel. Is there anything else I should have ready ahead of time?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

jjack229 posted:

I haven't gotten around to it yet with all the other moving in stuff, but it makes sense that should be one of the my next steps. I'll need to take down some shelves in the closet to actually get a ladder in there.

I'm guessing I should have a vacuum on hand in case a bunch of loose insulation falls down when I take out the access panel. Is there anything else I should have ready ahead of time?

Your checkbook :v:

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

jjack229 posted:

A mask (that stuff's dusty, you don't want to breathe it in). Flashlight?

Browse through some pictures of what vermiculite looks like. I'm not saying you have it, but it's possible that was why it was sealed up.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

jjack229 posted:

I would go up in the attic and check and see if your bathroom exhaust fan vents into the attic. That might be a feature rather than a bug in that climate

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I would go up in the attic and check and see if your bathroom exhaust fan vents into the attic. That might be a feature rather than a bug in that climate

An ice dam generator that also fills your attic with humidity so it rots is a feature?

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

Hadlock posted:

There is no exhaust fan currently in the bathroom, we plan to have one added (and vented to the outside).

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Be sure to vent it through the wall.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

MJP posted:

What should I be looking for in pavers for a patio? Any particular characteristics or is it just basically stones that will eventually fade, regardless of the marketing?

I like old school red brick pavers and as mentioned earlier, bluestone, but if those are out of the question then I guess just get some joe schmoe Unilock pavers

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Be sure to vent it through the wall.

We had talked with the previous owner about some of the work we were going to be doing and mentioned the bathroom vent fan. He had suggested having it come out the wall just below the eve. When we had talked with the general contractor, he strongly recommended going through the roof instead of the wall (something about how if the vent through the wall does not have the correct slope it can draw in cold air).

Avoiding a penetration through the roof seems like a good thing to me though.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Isn’t it that contractor’s job to make the slope correct? Does he not think he can do it properly?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Muir posted:

Isn’t it that contractor’s job to make the slope correct? Does he not think he can do it properly?

The contractor can.

The lovely crews he hires can't, and he doesn't want to come back for warranty work.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just sitting here staring at the wall in the dark waiting for the packers to arrive in like 6 hours, re-thinking through every decision that led up to this point and everything has been set in motion and there's no stopping or backing out now oh god :stare:

I'm fine, really

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Hadlock posted:

Just sitting here staring at the wall in the dark waiting for the packers to arrive in like 6 hours, re-thinking through every decision that led up to this point and everything has been set in motion and there's no stopping or backing out now oh god :stare:

I'm fine, really

I'm feeling this.

This week I have to finalize getting everything out of the current house we are selling. Then we need to be homeless for a few weeks until we close on the one we are buying. And our stuff gets to float around in limbo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

King Burgundy posted:

Then we need to be homeless for a few weeks until

I did this for like, three weeks end of January through middle of February. This was easily the worst part of it. My wife picked a "whole house" Airbnb that apparently in the shuffle we didn't fully vet.

Turns out the "whole house" was like, the front three rooms of someone's house with a locked door that connected to their kitchen and could hear everything through. Made us feel like we were stuck squatting in a stranger's front living room living off breakfast cereal and frozen burritos and other marginal food. Do not recommend. Would have been better off in a hotel, which we're doing this time for a few days

Also at some point I think we were living at my mother in laws house for about a week. That whole part of my life is a blur I prefer not to remember. At least all my stuff was in transit and I didn't have to double move or whatever it is you're going to have to figure out. Good luck with that. I think some van lines will store your stuff free of charge for up to a couple of weeks? That was an option when the company paid for our initial move anyways

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Any thoughts on cable railing for a pool fence? Our house pool doesn't have a fence around it and we're gonna have several toddlers at the house pretty much every weekend

I have a drill press and a welder and a level, seems like a not impossible project. If we decided to go with aluminum fence posts rather than steel, I think what we'd save on paint and drill bits, would offset the purchase of a TIG welder setup, uh, roughly

Haven't figured out the specifics yet but would probably just be two very long straight sections that meet at a 45° gate so would only need the bare minimum of turnbuckles. I've got a pretty fair amount of experience dealing with stainless cables and turnbuckles because reasons

Also the deck railing (sort of near the pool, less than 30' away) got flagged in the inspection as needing replacement somewhat soon (but not critical), would be nice to do that as well and have everything match

I've seen the cheapish $100 per 8' section PVC netting stuff but the pool is a major part of the back yard and it would look really bad and still end up costing $1500 to wall off that corner of the yard. I like the open look of the stainless cable

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 24, 2023

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
If your pool shape is compatible, maybe see what a safety cover would cost. In addition to getting a no fence code-compliant barrier, it reduces maintenance dramatically because there's very little debris that gets in.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Any thoughts on cable railing for a pool fence? Our house pool doesn't have a fence around it and we're gonna have several toddlers at the house pretty much every weekend

Depends entirely on the rigidity of the cable. Presumably from how it's tensioned? I've seen stuff similar to those where the cable might as well have been metal rod for how much it resisted movement, and I've seen it where they were slack enough that drunks could pull them apart to let their friends into the patio from the parking lot (that one was at a hastily thrown-up outdoor drinking area during Covid).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's a quasi figure 8 shape from the 70s so would need to be custom cut, probably?

As for the tension that's not a problem, we use stainless... 19 strand? Cable on boats for lifelines very familiar with tensioning them. I'm more looking at options for materials, looks like the top options are

1) awful PVC mesh stuff on laughable metal poles that are removable, probably only used when small children come over to meet some kind of minimum legal whatever. You can buy these on Amazon and they look sad even from Google maps satellite view
2) some kind of permanent fence, usually on newer pools to meet code
2a) for permanent, something like wood posts with galvanized wire mesh
2b) apparently really popular in Australia, clear glass pool fence
2c) less common but nearly as invisible cable rail fence
2d) some kind of steel or aluminum fence with vertical slats every 4 inches. Hyper expensive and labor intensive, probably

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Lots of libraries (too bad if your community no longer has one, I guess) have loaner tools and equipment. My library back home has FLIR cameras they loan out. Might not be practical to troubleshoot the ice dam and attic insulation issue right now, but it's probably worth looking into, at least.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Aaaaand my wife booked us another goddamn Airbnb

:suicide:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It's gonna be fine. What are the odds?

With respect to the pool fence: Check with your local municipal code folks they tend to have very specific criteria for pool fencing.

Good luck with the move. Dream of Traction-Avants.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

PainterofCrap posted:

With respect to the pool fence: Check with your local municipal code folks they tend to have very specific criteria for pool fencing.

Yes, this. My previous house had a pool and required fence, and the township required some very specific fence features. The type you showed wouldn't have flown, because it wasn't tall enough and also has horizontal features that are easily climbable.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008

BonerGhost posted:

Lots of libraries (too bad if your community no longer has one, I guess) have loaner tools and equipment. My library back home has FLIR cameras they loan out. Might not be practical to troubleshoot the ice dam and attic insulation issue right now, but it's probably worth looking into, at least.

Thanks, that's good to know. I had access to a IR camera at my old job, but not at my new one. I'll have to see if our library system has loaner tools.

Regarding the bathroom exhaust vent, my understanding from some internet research is that the best method is venting out the roof or out a gable-end wall. Venting through the soffit or out a wall underneath a soffit may cause the warm moist air to be drawn in through the soffit vent and into the attic, leading to moisture issues.

Our bathroom is not located on a gable end, so we might be best off through the roof.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm really envious of all these libraries that people seem to have with tools. Most places I've lived, you're either lucky if they have books or they skip right over the useful stuff and have like 3D printers and poo poo instead.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 25, 2023

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Some friends of mine spent the last decade fixing up their house and borrowed almost all the tools they needed from the tool library. They constantly complain about how crappy the tools performed or how things weren’t available when they needed them. Tool library’s are awesome for that thing you’ll need for a day or two but not as a “I don’t want to buy this tool so I’ll just check it out over and over for years” resource. They were too cheap to even buy a work light and commented on how nice my $75 home crapo light was compared to the one the checked out at the tool library. Lol

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Getting an excuse to buy a new tool is half the reason I take on diy projects. Everyone knows when it comes to a project's budget the tool calories don't count.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Insurance claim question.

Recently we got a gently caress ton of snow, and part of our back patio collapsed under the weight (despite my constant efforts to shovel until my back gave out). Filed a claim, insurance decided to pay out for an entirely new patio (!).

The thing is, 80% of the patio is fine, and the part that collapsed is an awkward part that I could honestly do without.

Is it at all feasible to just have someone cut off the fallen portion of the patio (and put in railing and make it look nice, etc), or will the bank and/or insurance put their foot down and demand I replace the entire patio as-is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Watched two videos on "dry pouring concrete" out of morbid curiosity.

I'm guessing I made it to almost 40 without hearing about this because it's a terrible idea, but uh, I guess it can serve a purpose in those rare cases where you need a slab of concrete but also it never freezes and you're not going to park a car on it, and you'd need to otherwise mix more than 2-3 wheelbarrow loads but also don't have planning permission for whatever you're doing, so aren't going to hire out a concrete truck to do it the right way