Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's a false economy. The Fighter has to stop fighting when they run out of hit points, and a sword can break, wear out, be dropped or otherwise lost or misplaced.

Not if they're orcs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Access journalism, and the bad behaviors it results in, is definitely an issue. It is not an issue that makes the New York Times a propaganda source like RT or Epoch Times. The reason is simple: New York Times has many journalists and op-ed authors and they are all able to, and indeed frequently do, criticize the government and highlight its mistakes and shortcomings without being disappeared; and they themselves are called out and held to account by prominent figures and also other outlets when they gently caress up. Sometimes that does not happen for years, like with the role they played with regards to the Iraq War, but it almost always happens. They are a paper of record for a reason.

In any case, these types of issues should be easy to pinpoint if my and Discendo Vox's suggestion ends up becoming the standard: when something is posted, identify the author and try to point out their potential biases, and post the actual article or snippets from it. In fact, people have done this in the past and it is how we have collectively come to determine that Haberman regularly acted as the Trump family's mouthpiece.

You can tell its a free press because years after it stops being relevant they will acknowledge having been a US propaganda outfit in order to restore the thin veneer of respectability so they have cover the next time they publish US propaganda. As the scandals in Ukraine mount and things there fall apart I'm sure the NYT will publish some mea culpas about how they should have known the administration was lying or 'investigated more thoroughly' before just mindlessly republishing State department memos verbatim with the only attribution being 'senior officials', and dumbasses like Thorn will hold those hollow admissions up as proof they don't push propaganda. Its all about media literacy, you see.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

that article is like a parody of me

"although russia sucks and is losing and gonna collapse any day now, there are worrying signs that russia is gonna win"

lol

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

The counter revolution book is off to a promising start (and on libgen)

feels like the book can be boiled down to :nafo:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

2029. finally an expose on the seymour hersh pipeline story in the [failing] new york times that was somehow unfortunately elided. a real truth to power moment.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Nix Panicus posted:

You can tell its a free press because years after it stops being relevant they will acknowledge having been a US propaganda outfit in order to restore the thin veneer of respectability so they have cover the next time they publish US propaganda. As the scandals in Ukraine mount and things there fall apart I'm sure the NYT will publish some mea culpas about how they should have known the administration was lying or 'investigated more thoroughly' before just mindlessly republishing State department memos verbatim with the only attribution being 'senior officials', and dumbasses like Thorn will hold those hollow admissions up as proof they don't push propaganda. Its all about media literacy, you see.

a big thing that works passively for the press is that the grandiose ideal of free press is catnip to a liberal so you probably do just end up with lots of people who are products of the system and really believe it. like they’re doing propaganda but of their own free will and don’t even realize it

poo poo look at so many forums here - people will use any type of tiny power if they feel there isn’t sufficient deference to the democrats and they do that for free

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

"although russia sucks and is losing and gonna collapse any day now, there are worrying signs that russia is gonna win"
the al-saqr style of journalism

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

DancingShade posted:

I am the democracy. Anyone who opposes whatever it is I'm doing is therefore undemocratic by default. I have the divine mandate of always being morally correct regardless of my actions.

Standing naked and bloodstained on top of a mountain of corpses: "I am the democracy!"

Vinny Chase before he turns and walks into the darkness "I am the democracy"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the next cod should have you hi-speed lo-dragging a pipeline but before you can blow it up the russians explode it right from under you

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

comedyblissoption posted:

the next cod should have you hi-speed lo-dragging a pipeline but before you can blow it up the russians explode it right from under you

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

Lmfao

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

comedyblissoption posted:

2029. finally an expose on the seymour hersh pipeline story in the [failing] new york times that was somehow unfortunately elided. a real truth to power moment.

lol. hopefully Biden lives just long enough to rambling expose every detail instead of it slowly gaining traction overtime from conspiracy nut to “well accepted belief”

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Nix Panicus posted:

the below tweet that screenshots bits from an article that quotes anonymous administration officials was posted two pages ago and there were zero objections to it, and in fact someone said the thread "called it" over a month ago

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

:c00lbert:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the below tweet that screenshots bits from an article that quotes anonymous administration officials was posted two pages ago and there were zero objections to it, and in fact someone said the thread "called it" over a month ago

did joe biden rape tara reade?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Poopy butt

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

can't even parse what this means

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CV_Consigliere/status/1650846130488459264?t=aCvpMAZDgsPn0k-BrCxFeg&s=19

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

smart, just throw out everything and eventually you'll be right

dk2m
May 6, 2009

thats because the way to interpret journalism like this isn't as "news", but as direction from the US govt

anybody that was an activist from the iraq war days knows exactly how state officials take advantage of reporting to justify war propaganda. cheney would purposely leak bogus info about Iraq imminently about to obtain a wmd to NYT, then show up on meet the press on Sunday and say "listen I'm not saying it, NYT is" - using journalists as cover to gather consensus and justification.

when state officials start changing directions, it's in mainstream journalism where we start getting hints of it because again, it isn't "news" in the sense of investigative journalism.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the news media and democrats are calling for assange to be freed. tremendous bravery on their part.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Comrade Koba posted:

they keep winning elections, authoritarianishly :qq:

In the UK's 'respectable' newspapers and media talking heads, it's an entirely accepted position that doing poo poo that benefits ordinary people is Populist and therefore Bad, while doing poo poo that completely fucks them over is Sensible Grown-up politics, actually.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I love that now we're officially in election season the Biden administration is thinking about surrender.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

you've put words together but I've no idea what you mean with the string of words you've put together

can someone help me here?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I love that now we're officially in election season the Biden administration is thinking about surrender.

are they though? that would be a huge win...for trump

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is like when a Dungeons & Dragons player says that Fighters are better than Wizards because Fighters can attack all day while Wizards run out of spells

It's a false economy. The Fighter has to stop fighting when they run out of hit points, and a sword can break, wear out, be dropped or otherwise lost or misplaced.

Someone can bring the Fighter more swords though, while you can't bring the Wizard more spells.

That being said, I'm also willing to accept "being a Wizard" as another alternative to modern weapons.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

dk2m posted:

thats because the way to interpret journalism like this isn't as "news", but as direction from the US govt

anybody that was an activist from the iraq war days knows exactly how state officials take advantage of reporting to justify war propaganda. cheney would purposely leak bogus info about Iraq imminently about to obtain a wmd to NYT, then show up on meet the press on Sunday and say "listen I'm not saying it, NYT is" - using journalists as cover to gather consensus and justification.

when state officials start changing directions, it's in mainstream journalism where we start getting hints of it because again, it isn't "news" in the sense of investigative journalism.

its not even officials. its just one guy probably trying to start a conversation within their own bubble (but not be the guy who said it) by putting it in the Washington DC gossip magazine website, probably

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 07:48 on Apr 26, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
politico owns because you get those paid promo articles by with titles like "REPUBLICANS ARE RUNNING SCARED OF (obvious loser) IS HE THE NEXT BIG THING?!?".

this will never pierce into any echo chamber except the DC one. i love that bullshit lol

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

yeah you live for that slop

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

lmfao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Thats because the thread generally parses anything from 'anonymous administration officials' printed in a major media outlet as propaganda, not investigative reporting, so the analysis would be on the administration laying foundation for a change in policy via preferred propaganda outlets. The media doesnt really do anything actively adversarial to the administration anymore, much less real investigative reporting. Aside from a handful of milquetoast contrarians kept around for the sake of respectability its a safe assumption that any big story was cleared by the State department first, if not written by them in part.

Its weird how anyone can look at the full media blitz around the case for war with Iraq and Afghanistan and still have any delusion the US media is an independent free press. If you trust the NYT or WaPo to report unbiased reality you're swimming in a sea of propaganda just as surely as the guy who only watches Fox or RT

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

Thats because the thread generally parses anything from 'anonymous administration officials' printed in a major media outlet as propaganda, not investigative reporting, so the analysis would be on the administration laying foundation for a change in policy via preferred propaganda outlets. The media doesnt really do anything actively adversarial to the administration anymore, much less real investigative reporting. Aside from a handful of milquetoast contrarians kept around for the sake of respectability its a safe assumption that any big story was cleared by the State department first, if not written by them in part.

Its weird how anyone can look at the full media blitz around the case for war with Iraq and Afghanistan and still have any delusion the US media is an independent free press. If you trust the NYT or WaPo to report unbiased reality you're swimming in a sea of propaganda just as surely as the guy who only watches Fox or RT

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the nyt was a little bit too much on the nose with the suggestion that the nordstream pipeline bombing should not be investigated

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

much like "authoritarian" countries are those who constrain western capital's ability to exploit the working class, the "free" in free press refers to a lack of constraints on capital buying and selling news.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

Do you guys know liberal thought was heading in these directions? This is incredible stuff. It’s actually undemocratic to respond to popular will through improved material conditions and altruism.

Yeah this is very clear. This is what liberals mean whenever they decry "populism". They see giving people things they want as cheating in politics, and buying their votes. Elections must be won purely through rhetoric and narrative, never through actions.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 09:05 on Apr 26, 2023

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

yeah no poo poo idiot, it's because we know what "anonymous administration officials" actually means

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

so in conclusion...?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Anonymous official sources = state department approved message

In this case the state department approved message is that Ukraine will likely not succeed in their counter offensive and will soon be cut loose. The level of pro Ukraine, anti Russia propaganda has generated a huge amount of momentum. It is a slow ship to steer at this point so cutting Ukraine loose can't happen on a dime, it has to appear like gradual consensus at the end of which everyone nods along and says they always knew Ukraine was a hollowed out Nazi state and doomed in the end and a peace deal is the only responsible thing to do and always was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

playing war thunder tankies i just blew up somebody's frou-frou paypig tank by ramming my little brit tank into its side and shoving it forward until it flipped over on it's back and exploded, like turtles do

if they don't do that in real war they should, it's a hoot