Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's not even the weirdest/worst Heinlein book too. Not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

Yes. The book is godawful. It's just straight up a fascism manifesto with the barest hints of a military sci fi story behind it. But remember, if you don't spank your children they will turn into murderers, and beating animals is the best way to train them. (Both claims made in one of the weirdest Author Rants in the book)

Absolutely. Not only does it have pretty horrendous political commentary, it's also some of the absolutely most artless political commentary I've seen in fiction. Instead of weaving it into his actual storytelling, Heinlein will straight-up just go "and now we interrupt the plot for a completely unrelated anecdote about why communism bad/capital punishment good/militarism sweet".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yes, people who makes 400 000 a year are rich, Garrison

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

It's not even the weirdest/worst Heinlein book too. Not even close.

"Line marriages" in Moon Is A Harsh Mistress

Yikesyikesyikesyikesyikesyikes

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Yes, people who makes 400 000 a year are rich, Garrison
I see you haven’t heard the tragic tale of HENRY

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The movie is far, far better than the book, in no small part because it's openly mocking the book, because Verhoeven is a genius. The book is just half fun action romp and half tortured self-indulgent grappling by the author with his contradictory beliefs in Libertarianism and the necessity of military dictatorship. I can't recommend any of his stuff to anybody, for any reason, but at least as far as I remember Starship Troopers didn't have any chapters dedicated to arguing that the age of consent is oppression.

If not for Orson Scott Card he'd be the first name in magicking up Deus Ex Machina to make his dumbass plots move along.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Pants Donkey posted:

I see you haven’t heard the tragic tale of HENRY

Did somebody say,

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Did somebody else say,

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hey. Hey. Hey. Lovecraft hated EVERYONE and EVERYTHING. Dude was terrified of air-conditioning and music.

But yeah, he was considered horribly racist BY 1920'S STANDARDS. gently caress him and may he rest in piss.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/KartoonistKelly/status/1650960157017272332?t=w-TyJ2R5-97KOKdeWmGC0A&s=19

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Downes:

Katauskas:

Wilcox:

Knight:

It's no surprise that the opinion pieces decrying the Melbourne Comedy festival for "cancelling" Barry Humphries by renaming their award a few years back have leaked over into the cartoons of the usual suspects. Barry Humphries: Melbourne comedy festival says tribute is in works after criticism (Guardian). "Organisers exploring ‘a fitting tribute’ after friends say performer was hurt by decision to rename festival award after comments he made about trans people".

Leak, Son of Leak:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Did somebody else say,

Ha! I know Hemingway can't write women for poo poo, among other problems, but I absolutely love how he writes. I've been out of touch with American literature for a while but if anyone knows someone who does something like him and isn't a sad cliché of masculinity I'd be happy to hear them out.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So after the whole "Jeremy Corbyn is antisemitic" smear from a few years back I figured I'd look this one up for context. For others wondering what she said that was decried as antisemitic:
The comments she's being raked for were from a draft of a response to a Guardian-published opinion piece "questioning the view that racism 'only affects people of colour'." In it, she said that travelers, Jewish people, and the Irish have faced racism, but that there is a difference between the prejudice they've faced and the systemic, institutionalized oppression of chattel slavery and its modern legacy. She lists things like systemic American racism, slaves being manacled to the deck of slave ships, apartheid South Africa, etc. and specifically what set off the accusations was the phrase "all their lives", suggesting that this was all-encompassing for black people the way white and white-passing people may not constantly have to deal with.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

"Checked Out"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I know these are always too on the nose, but this is too too on the nose.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021
Garrison knows Robin Hood is usually depicted as the good guy, right?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Jeff Danziger

Lisa Benson

Jeff Stahler

Matt Davies

Ann Telnaes

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

Jimmy Margulies

Ed Gamble

David M. Hitch

Mike Peters

Randall Enos - Pollution Solution

Bill Bramhall

Adam Zyglis

Dave Granlund

David Horsey

Mike Thompson

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

JamesBont posted:

Garrison knows Robin Hood is usually depicted as the good guy, right?

Not 'round here, he ain't. Who was the first cartoonist to do "Robin Hood (or Santa Claus), Bad Guy," anyway? I know Payne couldn't get enough of that in the Obama years.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Was it Stiglich that did the "Evil Democrats as the Avengers" cartoon? The art was decent enough that it definitely wasn't McCoy, Payne, Bok, or Branco, and I can't think of any other right wing cartoonists with passable art.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

After The War posted:

Not 'round here, he ain't. Who was the first cartoonist to do "Robin Hood (or Santa Claus), Bad Guy," anyway? I know Payne couldn't get enough of that in the Obama years.

It was that one lazy guy with bad art and terrible views.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nenonen posted:

Ah, that one!

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Nenonen posted:

But that could be any of them!

:c00lbert::master::fry::iceburn::sicknasty::whatup::supaburn::haw:

Gen. Ripper fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 26, 2023

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Not that I disagree with the idea, but those are Trump's speech patterns and stock phrases, not Biden's.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Mike Thompson

I get this has something to do with football, but?

These are from Tuesday:

China Daily

US' game of chess by Cai Meng

Le Monde

by Dilem from Algeria
Sudan: The leaders of the world ask to spare to the civilians
"Is that what's supposed to protect us from bullets?"

Charlie Hebdo

Ecocide in Mayotte
"It's the end of green walls."

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: But Where Does Electricity Come from?

Ted Rall posted:

Without much reflection, the Biden Administration and the media are rushing headlong into a world that they hope will be filled with electric cars. But the environmental implications of electric cars are much more serious than they are considering.

First Dog on the Moon: Labor backbenchers are revolting over government-mandated poverty! Raise the rate!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

China Daily

US' game of chess by Cai Meng

Excellent depiction of a game of chess there. Top notch.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

I am not even surprised, I just laugh.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You see, Tucker Carlson wanted to be fired. It made him happy, actually.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: But Where Does Electricity Come from?

Lol, now the left wing Rallvolutionist is parroting right wing concern trolling on EVs.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Did some previous iteration of this thread have parody of the "state rights" arguments against abortion with a "ok, we're reinstating slavery now" cartoon, or am I outright imagining political cartoons at this point?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Xander77 posted:

Did some previous iteration of this thread have parody of the "state rights" arguments against abortion with a "ok, we're reinstating slavery now" cartoon, or am I outright imagining political cartoons at this point?

I don't remember such a cartoon off the top of my head, but I sure as hell wouldn't rule it out either.
There's no take too vile or stupid for a politoon.

Nav.
May 25, 2015

100YrsofAttitude posted:

China Daily

US' cyber hegemony by Song Chen

From time to time, I tend to wonder whether Chinese journalists are trying to embed a story within a story, just to get past the censors.

Because it's well known which countries are famous for having the highest number of surveillance cameras per capita.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Oh boy, Garrison posted his comic on Tucker! I wonder what he's going to say!

quote:

TUCKER CARLSON FIRED FOR STEPPING ON THE DEEP STATE’S TOES

Godspeed Tucker- You Are Free

We at GrrrGraphics found Tucker Carlson to be the most effective talk show host and journalist on FoxNews. Since FoxNews and Rupert Murdoch are inextricably tied to the Deep State Swamp and the globalist establishment, Tucker had to go. He was telling too many truths.

Among them:

• He warned us about Ukraine and its corruption and how the war there should not be our top priority. He warned us that it could lead to a nuclear World War III. Contrast what he said with what most of the other FoxNews talking heads were saying and it’s clear that FoxNews favored the war mongers. Sean Hannity is a shameless neocon how often hosted his friend and fellow neocon and coward Lindsey Graham to push the Ukraine war. Tucker mocked Graham. Sean also praised his fellow host, Mark Levin, whom he calls ’the great one.’ What’s so great about being a warmonger? Levin praised Zelensky for bombing and destroying Christian churches in his country, saying they were filled with Russian spies. Levin agreed.

• Tucker ridiculed the ‘trans’ movement and told us how it’s impossible for a man to become a woman and vice versa. He told the truth: It’s a delusion and now a state-sponsored cult. Challenge the cult thinking and one gets accused of being ‘transphobic’ and a ‘bigot.’ Some are even threatened with violence. Meanwhile, some trans groomers in elementary schools want kids to have sex change surgery without their parents’ consent. Joe Biden, a pedophile, is one such groomer.

• He showed us the illogic and destructiveness of the ‘green’ movement and how the globalists’ obsession with climate change arises out of their desire to carry out a ‘great reset.’ Climate change is based on cherry picked data and not real science. Tucker was one of the few to tell it like it is—there is no global warming.

• He repeatedly revealed the corruption of the FBI—especially when it came to Hunter Biden’s laptop. Biden, Garland, and Blinken colluded with the FBI and CIA to ensure the laptop got labeled as ‘Russian disinformation.’ That way anyone mentioning on social media got banned. This is blatant election interference and all involved should be arrested. Instead they have all been rewarded.

• Tucker was the only one at FoxNews to question the ‘official’ Covid narrative that was forced upon us. He exposed Fauci as being the corrupt liar he is, and Big Pharma’s Covid vaccines as being ineffective and dangerous. Some speculate that this particularly incensed Murdoch, who wants the funding Big Pharma commercials provide.

• He supported Julian Assange and insisted upon his release. Tucker said Assange’s only crime was “humiliating the powerful.”

• He exposed the election fraud that occurred during the 2020 presidential election. He said, “It is clear the 2020 election was a grave betrayal of American democracy.” Contrast this with Sean Hannity, a classic controlled opposition ‘conservative.’ Hannity refused to discuss the matter or have anyone on his show who wanted to discuss it. As much as he skewers Biden, he still calls China Joe his president. We don’t. Biden is illegitimate.

• Tucker exposed the Deep State Swamp’s involvement with the January 6 protest at the Capitol. He had real journalists on his show such as Darren Beatty who proved FBI involvement and how they planned and expedited the framing of thousands of peaceful protesters—and many are still waiting to get rounded up by the criminal Joe Biden and tossed into prison, where they face brutality and grossly inappropriate sentences.

The above are just a few reasons we kept watching Tucker Carlson. He possessed the courage to tell the truth about corruption and crimes now rampant with the Deep State Swamp and its politicians. His truth telling garnered him a huge audience and the top-rated spot. Perhaps Sean Hannity expects to collect that audience. Sean is a mega millionaire blowhard who even installed a cheering stand filled with raucous supporters to show how loved he is and perhaps to encourage everyone else to cheer for him.

I will continue to boo the fake conservative who does the bidding of the Swamp. He loves to say how he was a blue collar working man who struggled to survive living paycheck to paycheck. That patter wears thin considering he’s now worth well over $300 million and pulls down a $34 million annual salary. He owns estates and mega mansions on the coast. He is a war monger and shill who is there to protect the Uniparty Swamp. He is rewarded for going along.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Is he trying to fill out a bingo card?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
ChatGPT, make me a rant for my comic, I'm Ben Garrison

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

The tomb of dollar hegemony by Luo Jie

Le Monde

La sécheresse accable les agriculteurs espagnols/Drought is overwhelming Spanish farmers by Adene from France, as inspired by Millet

by Stellina from Taiwan

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Does Ben know Tucker is also very wealthy?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Murdstone posted:

Does Ben know Tucker is also very wealthy?

Does a man not deserve the fruits of his own toil??? :freep:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

I think that's the most prominent hooked nose Stiglich has given Biden yet. The gently caress is with him depicting Biden as an anti-Semitic caricature?