Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Femtosecond posted:

Last time I was in Kyoto and Nara was 17 years ago, and it did seem busy but not like crazy. Kiyomizu-dera I think I recall being the most busy. I remember there being what seemed to me to be lots of obvious school groups. Groups of school girls with deer antlers on taking photos of themselves with deer in Nara.

I was planning on staying two nights in Kyoto. I'm no great big fan of crowds, and so I was sort of hoping I could enjoy myself by focusing on some of the gardens and temples that aren't on the top, top of the typical tourist lists but rather a bit lower of a priority. Maybe that'll help. Maybe it won't. I guess I'll see.
My favourite "non-popular" temple is Sanjusan-gendo but I haven't been there in ages so I don't know how packed that would be nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

My favourite "non-popular" temple is Sanjusan-gendo but I haven't been there in ages so I don't know how packed that would be nowadays.

They seem to deliberately not promote themselves, but yeah I definitely recommend it.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

I feel like Kyoto does a ton of dumb poo poo that just bites them in the rear end with regards to tourism. Like they close down bathrooms and get rid of garbage cans in tourist areas then sad pikachu when those areas end up getting trashed. If your buses are overcrowded you need more buses on that route or an alternative transport.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

teddust posted:

I feel like Kyoto does a ton of dumb poo poo that just bites them in the rear end with regards to tourism. Like they close down bathrooms and get rid of garbage cans in tourist areas then sad pikachu when those areas end up getting trashed. If your buses are overcrowded you need more buses on that route or an alternative transport.

What places in Japan have garbage cans?

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

What places in Japan have garbage cans?

Nagoya but it's not very touristy, but I feel like I never have problems finding them in Osaka which has mad tourists. Kyoto is not unique in this, though, I remember carrying around trash for half a day in Yufuin and then laughing when we came to a Family Mart whose trash cans were completely stuffed and surrounded with trash.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7223289305840635179

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Wanna immediately deport that person

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is it that makes a person's voice sound like they've been smoking for 50 years when they are in their 20s?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is it an AI voice. I dont know how tiktok

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The curse is the US is a hellhole.

E: lol. thought this was the cursed images thread. My point stands.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Which one of you motherfuckers is having loud rear end conversations on the train. I'm dying of secondhand embarrassment as I feel the judgement of everyone else on this train

Everyone here knows about your friend who sold his 3d camera company

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Not me, I'm not American

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

omg v embarrassed

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Dont worry, WE know you are one of the 'good ones'.

Kilbas
Feb 1, 2011

Leaving this Wednesday to visit a friend who's been living in Tokyo for about a year now. First time leaving the USA at all, so I'm grateful I've got someone to help show me around. I don't (think I) have any ridiculous pretensions about how it'll be going over there, but I do have one question if anyone could offer any advice. Is there any kind of environment where I'm likely to find someone capable of speaking even basic English who would be open to shoot the poo poo with strangers? Is it just as simple as here in the states, find a bar that's got a decent bit of activity and try and strike up a conversation even if it's just a game of us disjointedly trying to communicate?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Let me tell you about a little place called Hub.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Kilbas posted:

Leaving this Wednesday to visit a friend who's been living in Tokyo for about a year now. First time leaving the USA at all, so I'm grateful I've got someone to help show me around. I don't (think I) have any ridiculous pretensions about how it'll be going over there, but I do have one question if anyone could offer any advice. Is there any kind of environment where I'm likely to find someone capable of speaking even basic English who would be open to shoot the poo poo with strangers? Is it just as simple as here in the states, find a bar that's got a decent bit of activity and try and strike up a conversation even if it's just a game of us disjointedly trying to communicate?

Find an Irish pub. They are all over the place. Or it seems like I see them everywhere.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
The places I've been approached for conversation most often is in Onsens. Being naked together is a very effective way of breaking down barriers. :v:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I gotta say, in the past I've disliked Tokyo for how distant people were but I found it very different this trip. Whole vibe was for the better. If you go to a coffee shop or bar that's smaller, no tables just everyone jammed up at the bar, good chance you'll talk to randos.

Also always found standing bars/restaurants have a higher likelihood of random conversation than places with seats.

E: And check if there's any kind of festival/event that involves booze. Went to a sake thing in Fukuoka and after a couple hours of drinking, I think literally everyone there who spoke English wanted to talk. :v:

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 24, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Vivid memory of some of my last days in Tokyo I happened to be out at night just randomly walking around and found a whole side alley that led to a shrine where there was a whole festival type setup. Tons of folks just sitting around on temple steps in front of a "no eating here" sign eating grilled squid and yakisoba and I had a fun chat with a few folks.

--

A week and change out and I still don't have much of a day-by-day itinerary other than I know when I have to be at, and leave Osaka for Tokyo, and when I have tickets for Sumo.

Part of me is fine just exploring, but I really do think this weekend I need to come up with at least SOME rough ideas of what I want to do so I'm not just googling every morning or doing the same neighbourhood walk.

Work has absolutely drained every ounce of mental energy I have so this trip is coming at just the right time to save my sanity.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 24, 2023

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I am going back to Osaka in May next year provided there’s not another loving pandemic or some kind of global catastrophe that cancels my plans.

We’re looking at heading over to Tokyo again specifically for a tattoo appointment and as far as I can tell a return trip on the bullet train is basically the same price if not slightly more expensive than just buying a 7 day pass to ride all the bullet trains you want (except for a couple of special express/extra fast ones?) along with a bunch of other public transport, am I looking at this right?

If so then I guess we should do that and then just spend the other 6 days the pass is valid for going as far away from Osaka as we can get on whatever train and seeing some other places like Hiroshima.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

I am going back to Osaka in May next year provided there’s not another loving pandemic or some kind of global catastrophe that cancels my plans.

We’re looking at heading over to Tokyo again specifically for a tattoo appointment and as far as I can tell a return trip on the bullet train is basically the same price if not slightly more expensive than just buying a 7 day pass to ride all the bullet trains you want (except for a couple of special express/extra fast ones?) along with a bunch of other public transport, am I looking at this right?

If so then I guess we should do that and then just spend the other 6 days the pass is valid for going as far away from Osaka as we can get on whatever train and seeing some other places like Hiroshima.

If you are not aware, the JR Pass price is getting hiked 70% in October. I'm not sure if there is also going to be a corresponding price increase on standard JR tickets as well. But something to keep an eye on.

https://www.japan-guide.com/news/japan-rail-pass-cost-increase.html

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ahh that’s a shitter.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If the only reason you are going to Tokyo is a tattoo, why go at all? You can get tattoos anywhere and then not have to deal with aftercare while trying to enjoy a vacation.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Probably wants something from a specific artist.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah I wanna get a piece from Horimitsu and going to Tokyo while I’m in Osaka is significantly easier than basically any other option available

We went to Tokyo a few years ago and so I’m comfortable enough getting around that the plan is to find other stuff to make a day out of it on the fly, not just “sit on train for 3 hours, get tattoo, get back on the train”, but it might have expanded our other itinerary for the rest of the trip if the pass was that good of a deal

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 25, 2023

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

.Z. posted:

If you are not aware, the JR Pass price is getting hiked 70% in October. I'm not sure if there is also going to be a corresponding price increase on standard JR tickets as well. But something to keep an eye on.

https://www.japan-guide.com/news/japan-rail-pass-cost-increase.html

I honestly think I'm going to change my vacation plans so I can get another year of "cheap" JR pass. I wouldn't gripe about a small fee increase but this is massive. And just when things are opening up and you want tourism to pick back up, this, on top of already stupidly expensive plane tickets. Ugh.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It actually looks like the new pass price just happens to be pretty much the combined cost of tickets to and from Tokyo and to and from Hiroshima, so we may just say gently caress it and get them anyway because then we can still make use of them for anywhere else we wanna go like cutting a few hours off another trip to Himeji at the very least.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Google maps has p accurate train price estimates.
There's a round-trip discount if you're returning within 8 days (non-reserved is fine, so you don't need to choose a time).
The common tourist destinations seem to max out around 20,000 yen one-way. Trains are cool and good and less effort than flying.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

The common tourist destinations seem to max out around 20,000 yen one-way. Trains are cool and good and less effort than flying.

Seriously, once you factor in time and effort going from airports to the center of cities, it has to be pretty long on the train to make flying worth it. Like Tokyo-Fukuoka I don’t think I’d take the train for (plus Fukuoka’s airport is shockingly close to Hakata), but most places closer I’d just ride the train.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I find the whole air travel experience so miserable the only place I'd do a domestic flight in Japan is to Okinawa. Gimme that shinkansen every time.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'm on the shinkansen probably an average once a month. But, maybe because I've gotten used to it, I find domestic flights easy too. You can show up at the airport twenty minutes before your flight, there's no dumb TSA security theater, and you board just before departure. Most trips are short enough that you can do away with any luxuries onboard.

Anything further than Osaka I'd probably fly (and it's likely cheaper than shinkansen).
I'd probably avoid it for Osaka because KIX is like an hour away from the city center. Haneda Terminal 2, on the other hand, is 18 minutes from Hamamatsucho.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 26, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Unfortunately TSA has nothing to do with legroom, splitting headaches from low air pressure/humidity, or my body deciding a few years ago it's time to start getting horribly motion sick during landing. I'll stick to the train.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is there Uber/Taxi in Japan?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There are taxis everywhere, yes. They are pretty expensive so best used sparingly.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

zmcnulty posted:

I'd probably avoid it for Osaka because KIX is like an hour away from the city center. Haneda Terminal 2, on the other hand, is 18 minutes from Hamamatsucho.
You'd fly into Itami.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
We're flying from Haneda to Okayama the morning after we arrive in Tokyo (our flight to Tokyo is long and lands late at night). At the time we figured out our itinerary and booked accommodation, it was more economical to fly there than take the train and that was before the price hike announcement.

We're training it back from Okayama through Osaka, Kyoto then back to Tokyo so it may be better value for us to buy a long pass.. Or we might not have lots of options? Gotta do the maths on that one.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Apparantly excluding the itami to haneda route, planes are often faster for any larger distance in Japan.

Just make sure to leave 30-40 minutes for security and you are good. Japanese security is efficient and if the line is long, they will call your flight and expedite you to boarding.

Taxis are worth if it you have a lot of luggage or for the last mile section (ie, Ginza to Toyosu, Tokyo to Ginza, etc.). This excludes Narita which is expensive AF.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Tbh I don’t see the need to go from Tokyo to Okayama immediately, seems like a kansai heavy trip, and fly open jaw into Osaka and depart Tokyo……..

The HND airport hotels fill up fast but recently there’s a new mall and hotel onsen combo so the stay might be fine ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

You'd fly into Itami.

So an hour the other way :v:

But then I also once did a trip going to NRT T3 to Itami just to go into Osaka, which convinced me the train is better every time.