Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i like it being 90 degrees the whole year so i never had a big problem. bring it on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

TehSaurus posted:

This thread either possesses a unique clarity about the end of the world, or is completely insane.
it’s both

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
christ, that Decarb Bro story. I know it was touched on a few pages ago but surprised it didn't get more attention

quote:

While she does not consider herself a decarb bro, she has noticed the impact of the decarb bro philosophy, and its message of economic opportunity, on her peers.

People used to want to work in crypto or take high-salaried jobs at software companies selling ads. Now Ms. Shim is heartened to see more of her friends — even her “finance bro” friends — wanting to work in climate.

“The next big thing is the planet,” she said. “Without it, there will be no NFTs.”

These guys just get dollar signs for eyes at random, don't they.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
While reading The forgotten 20th Century 'Sun engine' (BBC Future) I came across this quote that made me think of this thread

quote:

In 2013, two Swiss artists – Christina Hemauer and Roman Keller – recreated part of Shuman's far-reaching design as part of an art installation in Egypt. Along with parts of the 1913 solar engine was this quote from Shuman, written in 1914: "One thing I feel sure of, and that is that the human race must finally utilise direct Sun power or revert to barbarism."

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

brakeless posted:

hell yeah I want this job, it would be so loving funny

just painting lovely lawns destroyed by heat and drought green all summer long while laughing to myself

I'm not sure about that

the typical way this goes is some regulatory agency like the EPA says this stuff is safe or the company finds a loophole where they don't even need to notify any regulatory agency or undergo any inspections by legally classifying their product as some kind of already established lawn care products

then when the deadly heat makes watered lawns impossible the entire southwest moves to more and more realistic painted yards. Maybe even some that mimic real grass so it can be mowed

then there is a lawsuit because the main ingredient is ultracancer and you the installer are the first casualty.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Microplastics posted:

christ, that Decarb Bro story. I know it was touched on a few pages ago but surprised it didn't get more attention

These guys just get dollar signs for eyes at random, don't they.

Thanks for calling attention to this. I saw the term but I think I glossed over it. If capitalism could solve the crisis, this is how it would start, I think. Of course capitalism can’t solve it, because it is fundamentally incompatible with a finite universe. Anyone who tries to place limits on growth will be excluded from the process and everyone else will fail.

TACD posted:

it’s both

it’s easy to be glib here but I think it is one or the other. yes there’s a lot of manic joker laughing going on in here but that is a sane response to the end of everything

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Rectal Death Adept posted:

then there is a lawsuit because the main ingredient is ultracancer and you the installer are the first casualty.

also you know this ahead of time but aren’t allowed to provide your own ppe because it would damage the product’s image so you are knowingly rawdogging the cancer and there is nothing you can do about it because it’s that starve

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

TehSaurus posted:

yes there’s a lot of manic joker laughing going on in here but that is a sane response to the end of everything
that’s what I meant by “it’s both” so now I’m really confused what you mean by “it’s one or the other” :confused:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FlapYoJacks posted:

So what’s up with the biosphere? Has it collapsed yet? Can it hurry up? It’s my climate change and I want it now!

You need to thwaite

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Homeless Friend posted:

i like it being 90 degrees the whole year so i never had a big problem. bring it on

Celsius?

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I'm not sure about that

the typical way this goes is some regulatory agency like the EPA says this stuff is safe or the company finds a loophole where they don't even need to notify any regulatory agency or undergo any inspections by legally classifying their product as some kind of already established lawn care products

then when the deadly heat makes watered lawns impossible the entire southwest moves to more and more realistic painted yards. Maybe even some that mimic real grass so it can be mowed

uhh they said it was organic so I'm sure it's totally safe and I'll be perfectly fine after I paint my butthole with it for St. Patrick's

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

TehSaurus posted:

Also enjoying people learning about the great filter itt. It is very likely that if we were not alone in the universe we would know about it.What that says about our future is an exercise left for the reader…
Not to be contrarian, but if FTL travel is impossible (and I believe it is), this is simply untrue.

The universe is unfathomably vast. There could be thousands of other civilizations spread throughout and we'd never know.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Homeless Friend posted:

It's always good to look at the world from the right angle.

:unsmith:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

Not to be contrarian, but if FTL travel is impossible (and I believe it is), this is simply untrue.

The universe is unfathomably vast. There could be thousands of other civilizations spread throughout and we'd never know.

The Milky Way has had the elements necessary for life for billions of years. You don't need FTL to colonise a galaxy if you have billions of years.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

RC Cola posted:

Same. This thread helps my mental health somehow

I had a climatology professor in college who was so doomer that he'd repeatedly get in trouble with the school. At least he was doomer by the standards of 15 years ago, today the things he was saying would be on the optimistic side of the mainstream.

Anyway, I look at it like this: the damage to my mental health was done when I took that class, and it was irreversible. I'd have to go cause a ton of brain damage to unlearn those insights. Reading about this stuff keeps me sane because it's not like I'm going to be able to pretend it's not happening if I ignore it, so at least I can keep my doom grounded with actual information.

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin
You have to be terminally sci-fi brained to entertain poo poo like extraterrestrial life

Life on earth is a series of incredibly lucky and extremely low-probability events all chained together up to this point. Which just makes the crack tragedy of climate change all the more ping.

In a universe where 99% of objects are barren unlivable rock shitholes the possibility of anywhere else replicating the same chain of events is just not gonna happen. The truth is going to be depressing and underwhelming to so many people if we ever manage to confirm this

Tony Tone has issued a correction as of 15:38 on Apr 26, 2023

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Hubbert posted:

Look at it this way.

You could otherwise be suffering with the knowledge of the world to come for decades, with nothing but your thoughts to occupy your time and research.

Instead, you get to post with your posting pals, and we get to watch the grand unraveling together.

Everyone here understands the gravity of the situation, and yet we can meme and shitpost and effortpost together.

You guys are okay in my book.

:unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31pjSAZzUz8

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i think this thread is way too doomer from a climate science perspective, but still winds up being muuuuuch closer to the truth than any other topical info&discussion source.

let me put it this way, if you get your climate science from real reports, and your understanding of all the tech/econ stuff from business news sources (not the marketing stuff, the quarterly financial reports stuff), and your deeper thinking from a bunch of good books... then this is an excellent place to hang out and share black humor about how insanely mind-bogglingly hosed everything is.

but if you get your news *from this thread*. or worse, from the seo garbage "article" infotainment system, then you are going to be functionally insane. just gibbering. I've had to put a handful of regulars here on ignore because it really is just incoherent wailing.

but then someone will photoshop a bdelle on a pitbull eating a suburban toddler and it'll all be worth scrolling through.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Tony Tone posted:

You have to be terminally sci-fi brained to entertain poo poo like extraterrestrial life

Life on earth is a series of incredibly lucky and extremely low-probability events all chained together up to this point. Which just makes the crack tragedy of climate change all the more ping.

In a universe where 99% of objects are barren unlivable rock shitholes the possibility of anywhere else replicating the same chain of events is just not gonna happen. The truth is going to be depressing and underwhelming to so many people if we ever manage to confirm this

We also live in a universe where there are an unfathomable number of objects and 1% of a gigantic number is still a gigantic number.

The idea that we will ever see or hear from an alient is a bit too optimistic, but what happened here on earth really is really unlikely to be unique.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!

Tony Tone posted:

Which just makes the crack tragedy of climate change all the more ping.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I don't know how healthy that serotonin hit I'm starting to feel when I see a certain type of article or tweet that generally appears here but i feel like I've jumped over a line that I will never return from and it feels good. Is it acceptance? Who knows! but atleast I'm not alone in this feeling. :gbsmith:

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
You should avoid going completely insane for a few more years at least. We have such sights to see

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Weembles posted:

We also live in a universe where there are an unfathomable number of objects and 1% of a gigantic number is still a gigantic number.

The idea that we will ever see or hear from an alient is a bit too optimistic, but what happened here on earth really is really unlikely to be unique.

Aliens in terms of climate change are usually mentioned in an optimistic "Well we aren't killing all life in the universe at least" or a pessimistic "we are so evil and gross we are it and we are loving all of existence up because we suck"

I get the depressive tendencies but when there are untold quadrillions of other planets out there its a stretch to argue Earth is unique, mathematically at least. We may never know it but the universe is so large we can't even really conceptualize it. Imagine how many planets are in the galaxy. A million galaxies. A trillion galaxies.

My theory is that the great filter could be currency and the federation is waiting to do the space cash test on us from south park

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Puppy Burner posted:

You should avoid going completely insane for a few more years at least. We have such sights to see

We should all endeavor to be the dude on the top of the building at the end of Miracle Mile.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

BIG HEADLINE posted:

We should all endeavor to be the dude on the top of the building in Miracle Mile.

that’s been me since dubya, or I guess Obama term 2

great movie, everyone should watch it

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
its not aliens its other humans from other timelines and they laugh at us

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

TehSaurus posted:

Also enjoying people learning about the great filter itt. It is very likely that if we were not alone in the universe we would know about it. What that says about our future is an exercise left for the reader…

oh look an angry swarming hornets' nest, better go out of my way to establish contact and make myself known to them

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

MightyBigMinus posted:

i think this thread is way too doomer from a climate science perspective, but still winds up being muuuuuch closer to the truth than any other topical info&discussion source.

let me put it this way, if you get your climate science from real reports, and your understanding of all the tech/econ stuff from business news sources (not the marketing stuff, the quarterly financial reports stuff), and your deeper thinking from a bunch of good books... then this is an excellent place to hang out and share black humor about how insanely mind-bogglingly hosed everything is.

but if you get your news *from this thread*. or worse, from the seo garbage "article" infotainment system, then you are going to be functionally insane. just gibbering. I've had to put a handful of regulars here on ignore because it really is just incoherent wailing.

but then someone will photoshop a bdelle on a pitbull eating a suburban toddler and it'll all be worth scrolling through.

lol you were rabidly defending hydrogen fuel cells in the D&D thread just yesterday and had a huge meltdown when people gave calmly provided actual sources to show how misguided you are

methinks it's you who should be put on ignore

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

MightyBigMinus posted:

hang on please explain "green hydrogen" for the class

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

lol you were rabidly defending hydrogen fuel cells in the D&D thread just yesterday and had a huge meltdown when people gave calmly provided actual sources to show how misguided you are

did you watch the videos?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

if you put green in front of something its automatically good

like how the garbage trucks are painted green and use natural gas now. it's Good to use them.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

double plus green

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Minera posted:

if you put green in front of something its automatically good

like how the garbage trucks are painted green and use natural gas now. it's Good to use them.

Green... Hitler

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

ben shapino posted:

Green... Hitler

joe biden

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

HUGE MELTDOWN

i bet you're well into your thirties, why do you talk like a 24 year old writing for buzzfeed

Minera posted:

hang on please explain "green hydrogen" for the class

there's nothing to explain, you know how it works, you just chose to believe it wont

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

MightyBigMinus posted:

HUGE MELTDOWN

i bet you're well into your thirties, why do you talk like a 24 year old writing for buzzfeed

there's nothing to explain, you know how it works, you just chose to believe it wont

it won't

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

it'll probably "not work" in the same sense that ethanol doesnt work. which is to say every know it all on the internet can poo poo talk it up and down, but you're still going to put some in your tank this week.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
climate change is just a really big meltdown when you think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

MightyBigMinus posted:

HUGE MELTDOWN

you're in the right place to have a nice meltdown