Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Velocity Raptor posted:

This is just speculation, but maybe after seeing how narrow Biden's win was, they're reluctant to put forth anyone who might split the votes and give the win to the GOP.

It'd also be somewhat of a cruel grift to try to solicit small-dollar donations for an anti-biden primary campaign when there's no realistic chance of achieving anything with it. Like, you aren't even gonna succeed in pushing him to the left, not this race. Even if Bernie ran, all he'd achieve after the inevitable defeat would be a bunch of newspaper headlines about how "Progressive wave ends? Bernie fails to achieve even a fraction of his 2020 support!" etc.

When Bernie ran before he had a realistic chance of either actually winning, pushing the party and the country left, or both. A run this cycle doesn't have much chance of doing either of those things, and could accidentally push the party towards the *right* if a bad loss discredits his legacy. Not running is the smart play for him.

Which is fine. He's old and the left needs new younger leadership anyway.

Rappaport posted:

Of course since uncle Joe is committed to running now, a primary challenger would be wasting their time I guess (since this isn't really 1968 levels of crazy just yet), but who are the Dems priming for 2028? Kamala is a disaster, and big-name senators like Bernie and Liz are olds.

I expect it'll be Kamala vs. a few random governors and the Squad, basically. Five years is a long time though.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They're not going to keep trying to make Kamala happen when they can still try to make Mayor Pete happen.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
What progressive could even conceivably run against Biden without it being a total humiliation? I don't think anyone besides maybe AOC having anything approaching Sanders' profile.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

the_steve posted:

Pete Buttigieg being a disaster isn't going to stop them from continuing to force him on us by any means necessary.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

DarkCrawler posted:

What progressive could even conceivably run against Biden without it being a total humiliation? I don't think anyone besides maybe AOC having anything approaching Sanders' profile.

Yea, I don't think anyone could try to challenge Biden and actually get him to move left on anything, it would be mostly pissing into the wind. Barely anyone pays attention to a primary with an incumbent running, and some up and comer getting buried by Biden can only hurt them in the future. Better to just build your ground game and wait for 2028 when the field will be wide open again and you can actually stand out. Biden probably wouldn't even bother to do any debates next year if someone does challenge him, there would be no point in it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Bernie kept running his other two campaigns past the point where he wasn't a viable candidate but he's shown no sign of being the kind of blatant grifter that would run against Biden. He also isn't an antivaxxer, which seems like a prerequisite based on who has announced.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC the only declared Democrat primary challenger is RFK Jr, the Qanon weirdo.

Also last I recall, Kamala is a Clinton creature (with the KHive even being basically inherited from Hillfolk), and her nomination as VP was a concession to that camp as well as token minority representation. She has very much worn out her welcome from everyone but some of the rusted-on fully delusional diehards at this point, it seems like, and I don't know how much the Clinton camp still has sway. Probably the only reason she'd still be VP on the ticket is out of inertia and this administration characterised by generally not doing anything unless they're actively forced to, and even then.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Kamala is going to be dropped at the convention. She had her audition for prime time and bungled it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Biden isn't going to swap Vice Presidents

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Morrow posted:

Kamala is going to be dropped at the convention. She had her audition for prime time and bungled it.

This is probably cope at this point, even though she does suck as a candidate and brings nothing to the table politically or electorally

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Piell posted:

Biden isn't going to swap Vice Presidents

I'm honestly not sure which way they'd go with this.
On one hand, yeah, she's completely useless for anything other than checking idpol boxes for the brunch crowd, but on the other hand, swapping out veeps could be seen as a sign of weakness.
"Yeah, look, we hosed up with Kamala, can we have a 4 year mulligan?"

In other news that I just came across on the Twitter
Kansas City considers becoming a transgender safe haven in defiance of Missouri laws

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Morrow posted:

I think Biden likes having her around. She had to put herself into lovely tasks, also I'm sure he was happy Obama didn't drop him.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Nonsense posted:

I think Biden likes having her around. She had to put herself into lovely tasks, also I'm sure he was happy Obama didn't drop him.

I don't think Biden was flailing as much as Harris has been with the VP role. If nothing else, I don't remember unhappy Biden gossip at the level of whatever is leaking out about Harris' camp's morale.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Morrow posted:

Not gonna happen lmao

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Yeah the last time an incumbent VP got dropped from a ticket was 80 years ago and it was done because Wallace was too friendly with the Soviets. Kamala ain't goin' nowhere

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Dems deciding not to run against the sitting president on his reelection is probably for the best. Hopefully we get some new blood in for 2028. Like, a spry 65 year old.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Push El Burrito posted:

Dems deciding not to run against the sitting president on his reelection is probably for the best. Hopefully we get some new blood in for 2028. Like, a spry 65 year old.

Barack Obama!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Voters don't vote for the Vice President and there is no electoral incentive to change.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC the only declared Democrat primary challenger is RFK Jr, the Qanon weirdo.

The other antivaxxer primary challenger is Marianne Williamson.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'm worried Williamson and Kennedy will split the antivaxxer vote.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Kamala seems almost depressed to be where she is and I don't think she will run after Biden, anyone planning that would be doing something more. But she won't be dropped from the Biden ticket.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Push El Burrito posted:

Everyone's all in on Gretchen Whitmer '28 right now. She'll be 55.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I agree with him, honestly - I feel like to the extent progressives are going to make political gains in the next election, it will come through winning seats in Congress (primarying conservadems and beating republicans where possible) rather than pursuing a failed presidential run, and we should be focusing on fundraising and organizing to that end instead.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Voters don't vote for the Vice President and there is no electoral incentive to change.

Honestly, that is the incentive to change? He could put someone useful in the position and the average voter wouldn't notice or care. The problems are with political alliances, if anything.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's not surprising but still disappointing. Biden was barely elected in 2020 in large part due to the massive rising tide of radical anti-Trump sentiment. Bernie did his part by directing that tide into Biden's camp. And now it feels like they've spent the last two years trying to calm that tide, to get things back to "normal". But under Biden's presidency, we've seen a repeal of Roe v. Wade and multiple state bans on abortion, a growing backlash against LGBT rights, anemic action on domestic policy hampered by members of his own party, a busted rail strike, and increased funding for the police and military.

Yeah, Trump winning again is bad news, but once again "not being Trump" is all that Biden has going for him, and he has a lot going against him. I'm not confident that that's going to be a winning case in 2024. Biden is going to need to energize the radical wing of the party again, but he's spent the last two years doing the exact opposite.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

GlyphGryph posted:

Honestly, that is the incentive to change? He could put someone useful in the position and the average voter wouldn't notice or care. The problems are with political alliances, if anything.

He literally could swap in VP Bernie and see a bump in polling, but Biden has never been that guy, Biden sucks, and we don't live in the kind of world where that is plausible

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Person who previously backed the Leopards Eating Faces Party suddenly concerned that the leopards may eat his own face...
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1651175594791501827?t=_5S24iQjNIVV_Cj-1OUd7g&s=19

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I don't know if "not being Trump" is all that Biden has going for him. Inflation is creeping back down, and the IRA is really only starting to be implemented. We have 18 months for the economy to improve, and considering where people were in November 2020 I could see Biden pulling an inverse Reagan with a "Are you better off now than you were four years ago?" to some success

Of course the economy could just as easily blow up in the next 18 months in which case, welcome back President Trump!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Person who previously backed the Leopards Eating Faces Party suddenly concerned that the leopards may eat his own face...
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1651175594791501827?t=_5S24iQjNIVV_Cj-1OUd7g&s=19

Weird, I thought I heard this guy was behind some of the anti-trans crap, but it might just be a side effect of his name popping up around republican crap a whole bunch of times.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, Trump winning again is bad news, but once again "not being Trump" is all that Biden has going for him, and he has a lot going against him. I'm not confident that that's going to be a winning case in 2024. Biden is going to need to energize the radical wing of the party again, but he's spent the last two years doing the exact opposite.

"Not being Trump" will become stronger and stronger as both Trump and Republicans become increasingly hosed up amid an approaching election, more legal troubles for Trump, a right-wing media shakeup and other factors. Biden is not the only one who has a record to run on and while his is anemic, it is better than the burning pile of tabloids, secret files, tell-all books and literal insurrection that is the Trump record.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

Weird, I thought I heard this guy was behind some of the anti-trans crap, but it might just be a side effect of his name popping up around republican crap a whole bunch of times.

It's likely there are people he donated to who later swung towards anti-trans, thus prompting this "no not like that" announcement

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Failed Imagineer posted:

He literally could swap in VP Bernie and see a bump in polling, but Biden has never been that guy, Biden sucks, and we don't live in the kind of world where that is plausible

It would also be worse and harmful as that would take Bernie's vote out of the Senate

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Failed Imagineer posted:

Putting one of the best senators into a position of powerlessness? I’d think less of Bernie if he took the job, unless we’re rolling the dice on which ancient white man dies first

Fister Roboto posted:

It's not surprising but still disappointing. Biden was barely elected in 2020 in large part due to the massive rising tide of radical anti-Trump sentiment. Bernie did his part by directing that tide into Biden's camp. And now it feels like they've spent the last two years trying to calm that tide, to get things back to "normal". But under Biden's presidency, we've seen a repeal of Roe v. Wade and multiple state bans on abortion, a growing backlash against LGBT rights, anemic action on domestic policy hampered by members of his own party, a busted rail strike, and increased funding for the police and military.

All of these things would get worse under Trump, and started under Trump. 9/9 Supreme Court hearing decisions on abortion and lgbtq rights wooo

But being in a blue city in a red state I’m pretty dead to “dems useless” these days. Seeing dems at state level actually do bare minimum stuff to help makes me more than a lil jealous. I’d rather roll the dice on more of that than copium about if just x then dems will pack the courts and pass full communism now when every precedent is that more republicans means more entrenched fascism.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 26, 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Judgy Fucker posted:

I don't know if "not being Trump" is all that Biden has going for him. Inflation is creeping back down, and the IRA is really only starting to be implemented. We have 18 months for the economy to improve, and considering where people were in November 2020 I could see Biden pulling an inverse Reagan with a "Are you better off now than you were four years ago?" to some success

Of course the economy could just as easily blow up in the next 18 months in which case, welcome back President Trump!

Also, unemployment is low and as you point out a lot of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill and Inflation Reduction Act are just starting to move through the economy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Putting one of the best senators into a position of powerlessness? I’d think less of Bernie if he took the job, unless we’re rolling the dice on which ancient white man dies first.

Fair, I was kind of assuming Biden would die first but there's no real reason to think that other than my fervent wishing.

And I assume Bernie has a handpicked successor in mind for his Senate seat? Not saying they would be anything like as effective as Bernie but they'd have some space to operate

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Since the major knock on Biden this cycle is going to be his age, I don't think it would be a smart idea to pair a guy one year older than him on the ticket.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It wouldn't really make any sense for Bernie to run in 2024. He couldn't beat Candidate Biden in the primaries, and there's no way he's going to do better against Incumbent Biden in the general.

Besides, Biden's policies in office have been far further left than expected. He's far from perfect, of course, but the general dynamic of the Biden administration so far has been leftist policies being blocked, sunk, and watered down by a generally uncooperative Congress. And Bernie knows that very well. A third run would just draw attention and resources away from efforts at putting progressives into Congress, and if there's no real shot at winning then that would be a huge waste.

Especially since Bernie is going to be 86 years old in 2028, and the 2028 bench is pretty much wide open with no obvious successor to Biden. There's a few people who have clear shots at it, but there's no way any of them are going to have the field cleared the way Hillary did. That makes this a very good time to focus on raising the profile of other progressives who can run when Bernie isn't able to.

Morrow posted:

Absolutely no way in hell. She's not really bringing any benefit to the Biden administration, but she's not particularly hurting it either, and that's a pretty solid place for a VP since it's not like they're really expected to do anything anyway. There is absolutely no way that dropping her would be worth the trouble. Biden is not gonna needlessly rock the boat for 2024.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1651190219444563969

Thinly veiled?????

I doubt we'll ever find out a reason, or at least a single reason, behind Tucker's firing - I think it was a confluence of all his BS - but I'm reconsidering it in light of the fact that this would be hilarious:

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/1650964676606324736

Behind a paywall, but the thrust is that his then-wife's fervent Millenarianist interest in Tucker, - including reading passages of Exodus at a dinner with Tucker to back up her assertion he was a kind of messianic figure - is what led to his firing, both because it weirded Rupert out and also firing her favorite TV personality as a gently caress-you to his ex-wife

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tucker Swanson Rasputin Carlson

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The best theory I heard about Tucker is that it's really just petty drama at Fox, and Murdoch feeling like Tucker had gotten too big for his britches and acting like the star of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1651190219444563969

Thinly veiled?????

I doubt we'll ever find out a reason, or at least a single reason, behind Tucker's firing - I think it was a confluence of all his BS - but I'm reconsidering it in light of the fact that this would be hilarious:

https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/1650964676606324736

Behind a paywall, but the thrust is that his then-wife's fervent Millenarianist interest in Tucker, - including reading passages of Exodus at a dinner with Tucker to back up her assertion he was a kind of messianic figure - is what led to his firing, both because it weirded Rupert out and also firing her favorite TV personality as a gently caress-you to his ex-wife

lol we are at the whims of the pettiness of billionaires