Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Very rarely there is a picture that will have so many uses in my day to day life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I remember watching that Siddhartha livestream and seeing b0llys butt crack

E: re-reading the Vice article and how much do you wanna bet the barista they keep talking about is Chloe

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 21, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/apr/25/inside-smashing-pumpkins-weird-gig-for-the-ages-victoria

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
I love listening to djali zwan and being forced to wonder why billy is busy making dogshit music that sounds like you got confused while trying to teach an AI how to copy depeche mode

It cracks me up that he announced a zwan box set cuz like 10 years ago he yelled at me at madame zuzus for asking him when zwan was getting back together but I suppose this will be held hostage like the machina reissue anyway. Last time I saw bolly was at a cubs game but I haven't lived around there in ages so i can't try the meatball sub or give that dome headed bitch a chance to call me a slur again

Though it's Mary star of the seas 20th this year so I guess if it happens maybe the artiste will have pity on us in 2025 and we'll finally get that loving machina reissue

mystic pimp fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 27, 2023

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

mystic pimp posted:

I love listening to djali zwan and being forced to wonder why billy is busy making dogshit music that sounds like you got confused while trying to teach an AI how to copy depeche mode

It cracks me up that he announced a zwan box set cuz like 10 years ago he yelled at me at madame zuzus for asking him when zwan was getting back together but I suppose this will be held hostage like the machina reissue anyway. Last time I saw bolly was at a cubs game but I haven't lived around there in ages so i can't try the meatball sub or give that dome headed bitch a chance to call me a slur again

Though it's Mary star of the seas 20th this year so I guess if it happens maybe the artiste will have pity on us in 2025 and we'll finally get that loving machina reissue

This post reflects an accurate picture of the love/hate dichotomy that comes with being a Smashing Pumpkins fan but also self aware.

More about this slur please?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Happy Hippo posted:

More about this slur please?

Yeah, I want to know this too.

Not necessarily related, but I wouldn't be surprised: I might be willing to forgive and forget his transphobic behaviour in the early 90s (it was just awful all around then, even Jon Stewart was saying some bad poo poo), if it weren't for the Devi Evar thing that happened in the last ten years. I'm pretty sure he was more than unkind to her. Be mad about the pedals, fine. But I believe it was more that, completely unnecessarily.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
what well known other prejudices does he have besides like being against fiat currency and D'Arcy... you can probably intuit what he said

mystic pimp fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 28, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I thick he was trying to be mean to her and ended up being mean to all trans/non-conforming folx. For what it's worth I think he's tried to walk that back, but since he's Billy that means vagueposting about having been a bully instead of addressing specific issues and what he could do too fix things. There have been a few times on his personal socials he's replied to people saying like "I'm trans and your music helped me understand myself and feel less alone" and he's responded with extremely generic support to them. I think he feels bad but he's a shithead and can't actually apologize.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Remember when the Smashing Pumpkins took over TRL in 2000?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o92DXdON6Q

I was super active on the SP Official Boards at the time and oh my god we were pushing SO HARD for Heavy Metal Machine BECAUSE THAT'LL SHOW THE MTV AUDIENCE WHAT REAL MUSIC IS or whatever.

God I miss the Billy Corgan of that era *heart eyes*

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Noise Machine posted:

I remember watching that Siddhartha livestream and seeing b0llys butt crack

E: re-reading the Vice article and how much do you wanna bet the barista they keep talking about is Chloe

Someone sent me the picture of the butt crack moment because they knew I was hardcore in love with him from like 8th grade. Now we're all old and Billy has a buttcrack. SIGH

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

CherryCola posted:

Remember when the Smashing Pumpkins took over TRL in 2000?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o92DXdON6Q

I was super active on the SP Official Boards at the time and oh my god we were pushing SO HARD for Heavy Metal Machine BECAUSE THAT'LL SHOW THE MTV AUDIENCE WHAT REAL MUSIC IS or whatever.

God I miss the Billy Corgan of that era *heart eyes*

I forgot how much I of the Mourning kicks rear end. It's so good, and it's a really well done build-up of intensity, probably one of the best examples of that I've seen, along with Jane's Addiction's Three Days.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I forgot how much I of the Mourning kicks rear end. It's so good, and it's a really well done build-up of intensity, probably one of the best examples of that I've seen, along with Jane's Addiction's Three Days.

The ol Corgan Crescendo

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The live I of the Mourning with the extended outro is so good.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Fun fact: My handle is a Glass and the Ghost Children reference.

Still one of my favorite songs and I 100% did not know it was about drugs when I was 15...

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Wasting the killer Transmission riff on garbage like HMM was the beginning of the end.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
https://youtu.be/YTGdIh96Oig

A few of these choices are baffling, a few are pretty reasonable. Volume 4 is from the holy 4 Good Sabbath Records but it's pretty easily the worst of those 4.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Gonna eat a ton of edibles at some point this weekend and listen to Atum

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I thick he was trying to be mean to her and ended up being mean to all trans/non-conforming folx. For what it's worth I think he's tried to walk that back, but since he's Billy that means vagueposting about having been a bully instead of addressing specific issues and what he could do too fix things. There have been a few times on his personal socials he's replied to people saying like "I'm trans and your music helped me understand myself and feel less alone" and he's responded with extremely generic support to them. I think he feels bad but he's a shithead and can't actually apologize.

He also made numerous comments about "totally not hooking up with a trans woman" and "only making out and getting hickies" and then threatening to break her arm when people found out because he's "not gay". Very normal and not transphobic things.

I love the original run of Pumpkins music but this is Billiam Corrigan, famous shithead. Whether he doesn't know how to apologise or not doesn't mean he isn't a dick. He's got a lot of money and free time obviously, so he should maybe take some lessons in apologising and humility, or else learn to be okay with the fact everyone thinks he's the rear end in a top hat he is. It ain't hard.

If he literally came out and said "I was an rear end in a top hat and did these lovely things (and names the things he did instead of being vague) and that was wrong and I am sorry" he'd buy a lot of goodwill. In fact, that's how it works for most people, it's surprisingly easy to start doing the right thing.

On a positive note tho, altho I didn't care for Cyr for some reason Confessions of a Dopamine Addict gets in my head sometimes. It's a bop.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I... I think Atum is good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Noise Machine posted:

I... I think Atum is good.

Well hey, that's great. To each their own, and I'm legit glad to hear this.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

https://www.nme.com/news/music/billy-corgan-paid-a-hacker-to-stop-leaks-of-new-smashing-pumpkins-music-3440115

Lol

Like why

Who cares

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Billy's very much dedicated to executing his idea, and that includes promotion and distribution. He threw out a lead single that could have completely changed how Adore fared, and that probably cost him tens of thousands of dollars just to get it recorded/produced by itself, because he thought making it a lead single wouldn't accurately represent the record.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Sure, maybe that mattered in 1998

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Billy's very much dedicated to executing his idea, and that includes promotion and distribution. He threw out a lead single that could have completely changed how Adore fared, and that probably cost him tens of thousands of dollars just to get it recorded/produced by itself, because he thought making it a lead single wouldn't accurately represent the record.

What song is this?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Let Me Give The World To You, produced by Rick Robin at great expense and unreleased (that recording) until the box set came out.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Baron von Eevl posted:

Let Me Give The World To You, produced by Rick Robin at great expense and unreleased (that recording) until the box set came out.

Oh yeah I can see how that would have very much changed the vibe.

Speaking of vibes

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Baron von Eevl posted:

One of the absolute best songs from that era, too.

I'm going to give disc 3 of ATUM a try. This time I have absolutely zero expectations of it being good after holding out hope for the first parts, so who knows. I could be surprised.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

CherryCola posted:

Speaking of vibes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-geg350ncc

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Framboise posted:

I'm going to give disc 3 of ATUM a try. This time I have absolutely zero expectations of it being good after holding out hope for the first parts, so who knows. I could be surprised.

Better than the first two. Still apathetic toward it at best. Some parts were ear-catching but the rest is the same space-rock-y stuff that all blends together to me.

My spotify auto-played Let Me Give The World To You (Adore) after ATUM ended and it's like settling into a recliner after a long hike.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think its an exaggeration to say this could've totally changed the history of the band in a positive way. That song should've been a crossover hit like 1979, which would've completely changed the perception of Adore and set up Machina to have a lot better label support. I still think it could get dropped on a soundtrack or something and end up as one of those songs with a weird afterlife.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I don't think its an exaggeration to say this could've totally changed the history of the band in a positive way. That song should've been a crossover hit like 1979, which would've completely changed the perception of Adore and set up Machina to have a lot better label support. I still think it could get dropped on a soundtrack or something and end up as one of those songs with a weird afterlife.

Speaking of, it was quite weird to hear one of the remixes of The End is the Beginning Is the End in Watchmen. At least in the trailer.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mljNsPk0ClE

There are like 3 versions of Billy's singing.

1. Way in the back or at least "in" the mix among everything else (Gish to MCIS, and most of TAFH)
2. A bit clearer (Adore, Machina I/II, Zwan, and maybe Zeitgeist
3. Way the gently caress up in your face (everything else).

This track is very much a strong category 2, in which it's fine, and if this was as far as it had gotten, mostly regardless of songwriting quality, the newer stuff would likely be looked upon way more favourably.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 8, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Speaking of, it was quite weird to hear one of the remixes of The End is the Beginning Is the End in Watchmen. At least in the trailer.

That was The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning. It's not exactly a remix, it's sort of a companion piece a la Tonight Tonight with Tonite Reprise or Neil Young's Hey Hey My My with My My Hey Hey.

Billy originally submitted Tear for that soundtrack, when that was rejected wanting a more "rock" sound he submitted demos fire songs labeled "batman 1" and "batman 2" for those two tracks.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Billy originally submitted Tear for that soundtrack, when that was rejected wanting a more "rock" sound he submitted demos fire songs labeled "batman 1" and "batman 2" for those two tracks.

Fine, I'll be "that guy". Wasn't Tear originally submitted for Lost Highway but Lynch didn't dig it, so b0lly submitted "Eye"?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Noise Machine posted:

Fine, I'll be "that guy". Wasn't Tear originally submitted for Lost Highway but Lynch didn't dig it, so b0lly submitted "Eye"?

True story: I downloaded that soundtrack in high school because I loved that song so much. FINALLY just watched Lost Highway with my Lynch-obsessed boyfriend about a month ago and I was actually really disappointed at how fast the song passed in the movie :( :(

Loved the movie though and I wish Billy had done more work with David Lynch

edit: also Let Me Give the World to You is fine but I don't think I would have liked it on Adore. I also love the poo poo out of that album and think it's laid out very well as is.

double edit: I said gently caress it and I'm listening to ATUM...I feel nothing. I can't even really put my finger on it. Every album up to Machina gives me intense feelings and sucks me in. Maybe it's the passage of time. It's not that it "doesn't sound like the Smashing Pumpkins" because their early catalogue is so diverse. Maybe it's that Billy's voice is way too forward and samey? It's not even that it's bad. But it's unsettling somehow.

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 8, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Noise Machine posted:

No, you're right. Tear would have been a loving awful fit for Lost Highway. The cold detachment works much better.

I like Adore more than most people my age, it's an album that will always have a big place in my heart. I do think there are some missteps that were made with it and a few songs that haven't aged that well. I do think a reordering and a couple substitutions along with keeping LMGTWTY would have resulted in an album that was somewhat better received by the listening public.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
This album sounds like Billy Corgan listened to too much Electric Six and Of Montreal.

edit: what the gently caress is this Hooray! song

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

...and then he let Perfect be a single :psyduck:

Billy is his own worst enemy sometimes. I personally prefer the Machina version of LMGTWTY since the song is just very well suited to the production style of that album imo (and I think if released as-intended with proper support it could have been another Mellon Collie) but the Adore version is also very good and yeah, I think there's a version of that album with the right tracklisting that performed really well and would have been a solid success which carried over to Machina being what it should have been.

At least we got the Adore reissue and people are now free to make their own versions of the album with the tracklisting that they like.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I first heard Let Me Give the World To You as an encore during the Zeitgeist tour and I was floored, couldn't imagine why I had never heard this song before. I think it sounds a tiny bit better live than in studio but still stunning that it could have been a big single and Billy just decided no, let's not.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
What's frustrating about this latest album is if Billy spent more time polishing 10 good songs instead of doing 44 songs (counting the vinyl songs), you might have a good album on your hand.

Take In Lieu of Failure - it reminds me of a classic Pumpkins song until he starts singing and then you get those god-awful lyrics.

Yeah, maybe hire a lyricist because this drippy hippy bullshit that sounds like a pretentious high school Morrissey's first attempt at writing in the style of a Robert Blake rip-off crossed with a bad Donovan parody doesn't work at all.

The problem is Corgan doesn't have to care. He'll believe everything is good, and meanwhile these songs will be forgotten about in 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

SUNKOS posted:

...and then he let Perfect be a single :psyduck:

Wait are people unhappy about this???

Perfect is fuckin perfect and I will die on this hill :colbert:

Gonna change my avatar to the cover of Adore because apparently I am the Adore Lover in these here parts.