Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Came to that episode the other night. What a tragic way for such a heavy hitter to have to go out. Better they had to just leave it off screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i dunno it was the heaviest hitting wave of a hanky i've ever seen

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

codo27 posted:

Came to that episode the other night. What a tragic way for such a heavy hitter to have to go out. Better they had to just leave it off screen.

Yeah or make it a phone call or something. Just so bad.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

it's still the most :3: thing that Jim Gandolfini would apologize, red-faced, to Nancy Marchand every time he had to cuss around her

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Dominic Chianese would do the same thing, constantly apologizing to everyone on set, especially the women.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

codo27 posted:

I knew going in that there was some kind of post-mortem scene stitched together from unused footage, and was wondering how bad it would be on a scale of Paul Walker to Carrie Fisher.

It's bad. It's real bad. Early 2000s CGI, actors working around obvious cutting room floor scenes... I know Livia was actively involved in a storyline at the time of the actor's death, but... characters frequently die unexpectedly! Even on this show! Of natural causes!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

That's the worst part of the whole thing! The scene they frankensteined together doesn't even convey any new plot, really. It all could have been between Tony and Svetlana, or just cut entirely.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I think it's important to consider the circumstances around CG Livia, beyond just the actor's death: The Sopranos is the biggest thing HBO has ever had, a critical juggernaut that's sweeping the Emmys, driving subscriptions and getting people to drop $100+ on DVD box sets, and this is an era when CG effects are still primarily the territory of big-budget blockbusters. I'm guessing that at some point the idea of "It could be possible to use digital effects to give Livia one final scene, utilizing a body double with CG face mapping and manipulating existing audio" probably went from "That could be intriguing" to "We need to do that, this is The Sopranos, we're HBO; we're the big leagues, TV you have to pay on top of your cable bill to see; we're not going to blink at $250k for one scene that could revolutionize TV production. We've gotta do stuff nobody else is doing, that nobody else can do."

And even though it didn't really work, it definitely worked the way they probably intended it to - it gave the entertainment press a "Wow! CG effects on TV!" story*, garnered headlines and probably got a few more eyes on the show.

hailthefish posted:

That's the worst part of the whole thing! The scene they frankensteined together doesn't even convey any new plot, really. It all could have been between Tony and Svetlana, or just cut entirely.

Here's my pitch, if it wasn't a pure publicity stunt and they really wanted her to have some level of presence in the episode: Use the existing dialogue/outtake audio and do it over the phone. Tony's driving over there to sweet talk her about the airline tickets and he calls to butter her up even more, asking if he can pick up lunch or something for her. She says something Livia-esque, he gets angry, they trade spiteful barbs and he decides he's not even going to bother coming to see her today, if she's going to be like this. Now his final conversation with his mother is extra lovely, because it's snippy, impersonal and ends on him throwing away his last chance to spend time with her.

*Speaking of, there's a USA Today story from 2002 that quotes the $250k figure - but also that the effects house that did it only charged half, in exchange for getting publicity out of it. (I searched the effects house's name and found their bankruptcy filings from about a decade later. Guess the publicity wasn't that good.)

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I want to see the alternate reality where they just recast her immediately and didn't change the plot. And the one where they did that ghoulish cgi thing for the entire rest of the series.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Krinkle posted:

they just recast her immediately and didn't change the plot

and it's mama fratelli off the goonies

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

crispix posted:

Ralph showing up out of nowhere would suddenly make a lot more sense :aaa:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Janice discovers "uncle Ercole" while digging for that money in the basement :aaa:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Missed opportunity to have the house collapse on janice while she's in the basement literally gold digging

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

crispix posted:

"Doc, can you believe it? She got so mad at me once when I just asked 'what's for dinner' she told me 'all we serve is tongue!' while shakin' a knife at me!'"
"That must have been a very traumatic experience."
"...eh. Whatcha gonna do? Ma was spirited."

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 19, 2023

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Who's that at the door? Why, it's our long lost Cousin Josephine! Maybe she'll help!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I hear she had IBS and her rear end in a top hat rotted out.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
"Look who calls!"

"Actually I'm standing here in front of you."

Vichan fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 19, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vichan posted:

"Look who calls!"

"Actually I'm standing her in front of you."

That's the one that oddly gets me the most.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
SAME PRINSHIPLE AS THE SOLAH SYSTEM :catdrugs:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
No, they are the bus.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I did mushrooms once. Stuffed mushrooms, the whole fuckin platter.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Rochallor posted:

I knew going in that there was some kind of post-mortem scene stitched together from unused footage, and was wondering how bad it would be on a scale of Paul Walker to Carrie Fisher.

It's bad. It's real bad. Early 2000s CGI, actors working around obvious cutting room floor scenes...

Yeah, obviously it's not possible; even with computers.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

ah cool, a hamburga!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

This thread has made me feel like such a dunce when it comes to this show. I guess its how I've always been when it comes to tv/movies, I just kinda sit back and take it all in at face value and either am incapable of or just dont bother looking beneath the surface for any meaning. Like University for example, its so fuckin obvious the juxtaposition of Meadow vs Tracy, its not subtle at all. But I didn't realize that until I read about it itt. The way the shots are done, its so obvious what they are going for.

I'm not ready to put Meadow up with Janice or anything, but god she's so terrible. Maybe not as terrible as Noah either, but insufferable all the same. It starts with her conjuring up her own punishment in insisting they take away her credit card. And by this episode you have her lashing out like a brat at the end. And like Carmela, wants to look down from her high horse while being complicit and aware of whats really going on.

We've heard about how James hated doing the violent stuff. Watching the scene where Silvio goes and forces Tracy back to work, SVZ I'm sure has seen his share of wild poo poo over the years as a rock star, but he seems like a decent guy and I wonder how tough those scenes were on him. Along with Long Term Parking of course.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

codo27 posted:

I'm not ready to put Meadow up with Janice or anything, but god she's so terrible. Maybe not as terrible as Noah either, but insufferable all the same. It starts with her conjuring up her own punishment in insisting they take away her credit card. And by this episode you have her lashing out like a brat at the end. And like Carmela, wants to look down from her high horse while being complicit and aware of whats really going on.

That episode actually ends with Meadow having used the money from Tony to buy stuff to clean Livia's house. She still would feel bad about things at that age, before she learned to use her volunteer work at the south Bronx law firm to make herself feel better about everything else.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

codo27 posted:

This thread has made me feel like such a dunce when it comes to this show. I guess its how I've always been when it comes to tv/movies, I just kinda sit back and take it all in at face value and either am incapable of or just dont bother looking beneath the surface for any meaning. Like University for example, its so fuckin obvious the juxtaposition of Meadow vs Tracy, its not subtle at all. But I didn't realize that until I read about it itt. The way the shots are done, its so obvious what they are going for.

Here’s one for you: think about the apparition in Tony’s nightmare (end of “Calling All Cars”) dragging its hand along the wall juxtaposed with Livia using the stairlift in S2 :aaaaa:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

codo27 posted:

Like University for example, its so fuckin obvious the juxtaposition of Meadow vs Tracy, its not subtle at all. But I didn't realize that until I read about it itt. The way the shots are done, its so obvious what they are going for.

The sacred and the propane. :hmmyes:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I try not to think about the aforementioned scene too much. I dont look forward to reaching it in this rewatch.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

We appreciate that your time is less than limited.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

codo27 posted:

I try not to think about the aforementioned scene too much. I dont look forward to reaching it in this rewatch.

Yeah, an absolutely terrifying moment in a show that isn’t really known for such things. Gives me the creeps just thinking about it. Ugh.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Today in therapy, my therapist (doing her first watch-through) and I discussed just how goddamn nail-on-the-head the dream sequences are. Just wait till she gets to The Test Dream

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The wife and I just finished watching the show for the first time last night, and we definitely enjoyed it.

I do feel like Season 6B is kind of messy, although it has good episodes. I find it a little odd that the AJ stuff dominates so much of the back half of the season after he has been pretty much a background character for awhile by that point in the show.

Phil’s death scene was just so great and probably the best one of any of the main ‘antagonists’ of the show besides the Richie Aprile death scene.

We’re going to watch The Many Saints of Newark soon but I’ve heard it’s somewhat divisive.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Divisive is very generous. Its cow manure. Dont waste your time, dont let it taint your impression of the show.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've watched the show all the way through at least six or seven times at this point and I'm currently in the middle of season two but I will never watch the movie again, once was more than enough.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’ve watched all sorts of trash so I will watch it anyway

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Jon Berenthal is great in the movie, as is Gandolfini Jr.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The movie is a really solid concept, executed about as poorly as possible. It's trying to cover so much ground - Dickie Moltisanti's life, his relationship with young Tony, whatever the hell Leslie Odom Jr.'s character was supposed to be doing - but David Chase was insistent on keeping the thing to 120 minutes or less so every aspect of the story gets shortchanged. Whenever there's a passing reference to something from the series, the script stops dead to elbow you in the ribs to make sure you got the joke. There are a couple of good performances - I liked Corey Stoll as young Junior, and Ray Liotta is always good; John Berenthal is pretty much perfect for Jackie Boy, but he gets almost nothing to do - and just as many outright terrible ones. Young Sil walked into the film straight out of a Mad TV sketch. Vera Farmiga's performance exists in some weird in-between space, she's also playing Livia as a caricature but it sort of works with how Nancy Marchand played her as a woman always putting on an act.

I'd give it a C-. It's a mess, there are a few good moments in there, it doesn't diminish my opinion of the series but I'm also not in a hurry to rewatch it.

also OH COOL, MAN, A HAMBURGAH

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a decent flick. Better send-off for Ray Liotta than Cocaïne Bear that's for sure. Probably would've worked better as a miniseries and with Sil fully recasted.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, the guy playing Sil is a loving cartoon. And I couldn't possibly care less about Hollywood Dick and they didn't give much time for that to happen anyway. The prison brother was much more interesting.

They also weirdly took aspects from Junior and Tony's relationship in the series and gave it to Dickie and Tony in the movie. As well as making Junior this absolutely pathetic character which is also at odds with most of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Do we know if the FBI stuff was supposed to have a bigger role in the series towards the end or not

I ask because Agent Harris is around all of the time with his buddy the actor who was on House of Cards, but there really isn’t any payoff for that until the final episode. But earlier in the show the FBI were constantly getting close to Tony about up to the point where Adriana gets killed