Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
in fairness the first game was a 24 hour game jam thing but it did in fact get a 1/5 on Newgrounds on release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Benagain posted:

how many other dev teams have that kind of record I wonder. "well your first game was poo poo, but then you made a masterpiece that reshaped an entire genre and inspired countless imitators"

Hello Games did this too

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Are they likely to be under any contractual pressures? It seems to me like an indie studio with far more money than they expected to get from their previous title would be in a very good position to survive a long development cycle

Also seems possible that they've already received a big fat check from Microsoft for the day 1 gamepass deal? I don't know how that works. I guess MS is the only entity that might put any kinda pressure on them, considering they made "Silksong in 2023" a part of their marketing last year, but I suppose maybe they're not under any actual obligation to deliver on time, and Microsoft is just in the same boat as the rest of us, sighing and muttering "bapanada"

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I will be immensely trolled if it's a gamepass exclusive D1 because getting my controller to work with it is such a nightmare.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

precision posted:

Hello Games did this too

Joe Danger was relatively well received if I recall? Nothing world beating but certainly not poo poo.

I remember the first game Rocksteady made wasn't considered great, was a first person shooter where you played as a riot cop. Nobody expected them to do Arkham Asylum as well as they did for sure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

super fart shooter posted:

Also seems possible that they've already received a big fat check from Microsoft for the day 1 gamepass deal?

Every time an indie dev makes a deal with gamepass they get weirdly quiet so I think that has a lot to do with it

Like, maybe Microsoft won't let them announce a delay

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Natural 20 posted:

I will be immensely trolled if it's a gamepass exclusive D1 because getting my controller to work with it is such a nightmare.

I don't understand.

You operate the Xbox with your controller.

:colbert:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Natural 20 posted:

Trying to parse this because it makes so little sense.

I'm guessing you are a PC person because if you were on an xbox, controller is just part of the deal.
But if you are on PC why would you have any trouble using your controller.
Unless you are on mac or linux. If that is the case then LOL.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Waltzing Along posted:

Trying to parse this because it makes so little sense.

I'm guessing you are a PC person because if you were on an xbox, controller is just part of the deal.
But if you are on PC why would you have any trouble using your controller.
Unless you are on mac or linux. If that is the case then LOL.

Gamepass PC doesn't natively support Switch controllers which makes configuring them to work on Gamepass games a massive ballache.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

cant you just use a program like rewasd?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This new game Afterimage looks drat cool but there's very few reviews out, anyone?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
If you want to use a controller for pc, it's probably worth it to just buy an xbox controller.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Playstation controllers just feel better in my hands.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Mymla posted:

If you want to use a controller for pc, it's probably worth it to just buy an xbox controller.

It will be a cold day in hell when I use a controller with the A button on the bottom.

spaceblancmange posted:

cant you just use a program like rewasd?

This is the arsing around I was talking about. I've not had any real success getting remapping to work.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

Only made like 60000aud.

Meanwhile another game which explicitly is aping Hollow Knight's style (not that this is a bad thing, I'll happily play Crowsworn) got 1.2 million bucks, which is moderately ironic.

I'm fairly scathing about how blatent they copied Hollow Knight's style, but I admire the hustle in taking advantage of gamer's Pavlovian response to rake in over a million.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

SirSamVimes posted:

Did they get rid of the terrible mushroom sticks?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SirSamVimes posted:

Logitech F710 is a good compromise option.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
BA

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

It will be a cold day in hell when I use a controller with the A button on the bottom.

Oh? So you won't play with a... Nintendo 64?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Arrhythmia posted:

Oh? So you won't play with a... Nintendo 64?

It's a console, so they probably won't. Troubleshooting autoexec.bat files got them good.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

I use a PS4 controller with a $15 dongle that tricks my PC into thinking it's a 360 controller, which is annoying for in-game button prompts, but good for all-around compatibility.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

sony controllers are ergonomic nightmares unless you have tiny child hands

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
hand size is the mouthfeel of gaming

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hi. The best controller on the market is the one I am not going to use. BTW, it's 100% compatible with PCs. Instead I am going to use controllers that are specifically designed for consoles (because I actually want to be a console gamer.)

Xbox one controller > switch pro controller > pooping without toilet paper > dualsense

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's a console, so they probably won't. Troubleshooting autoexec.bat files got them good.

No I just have a switch and play most of my games on that and my PC so keeping the controls consistent across the two platforms is helpful.

I find that if I get button prompts telling me to push B when I want to push A, I end up loving up a lot which is very frustrating.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Dualsense is too fat

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I look at my keyboard to find the keys when I type. I'm also a keyboard turner.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I cant stand how convex xbox buttons are. Its disgusting I dont know how people deal with it. Switch pro controller has the correct conceptual design but its d-pad is so bad as to be non-functional (I own this one btw) as well as having hosed up wiring so its completely imprecise and registers ghost presses. Do not buy the switch pro controller.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 26, 2023

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

PA

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the main problem i have with the Switch Pro controller is the dpad yeah. it's way too easy to register down/left or down/right and i actually switched to the joycon grip because pressing down/left when you're trying to spike jump kills you

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Waltzing Along posted:

I look at my keyboard to find the keys when I type. I'm also a keyboard turner.

Did a PC kill your dog or something?

People have different issues with games and motor skills.

This is really weirdly aggro for a post about videogame controller preferences.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Dual shock has the only usable d-pad everyone else insists on using a failed paradigm. If you mostly play 2D games it is the best choice of the 3 by far.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Natural 20 posted:

Did a PC kill your dog or something?

People have different issues with games and motor skills.

This is really weirdly aggro for a post about videogame controller preferences.

Not meant to be aggro. Sorry you took it that way. It's just teasing because of your silly post about getting confused between 2 buttons. If it was 3 buttons, I would have left it alone.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

No Wave posted:

Dual shock has the only usable d-pad everyone else insists on using a failed paradigm. If you mostly play 2D games it is the best choice of the 3 by far.

Yeah I have a fantastic xbox-like third party controller that I love but I tried using it to play HK over the weekend and it just feels so awful playing with a joystick and reaching for a dpad never feels natural when it's your primary movement tool

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I mostly like my Switch Pro controller but it's kinda creaky and the buttons feel almost sticky at times, despite it being clean, and I've never felt compelled to gently caress around getting it working on PC over my Xbox controller. DS4 also gathers dust despite having the best D-pad.

Xbox may be the shittiest console but they have the best controllers

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I personally remapped Xbox buttons on my Series S to be identical to Nintendo and just have to train my brain to ignore what they say. Though I haven't actually played a game on it yet. I don't know if Gamepass on PC is different. On PC I use a wired third party Switch controller, and I often have to make tweaks on a per-game basis on Steam at least, especially when going between PC and Steam Deck.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the SX controller has the best d-pad on the market right now. Dualsense one is too mush, they should've just used the Vita's d-pad

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I have many controllers, and simply use the most appropriate one for whatever I'm playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

NA