Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should get the next welterweight title shot?
This poll is closed.
Colby Covington 2 3.51%
Belal Muhammad 17 29.82%
Shavkat Rakhmonov 3 5.26%
Matt Serra 26 45.61%
Marius Zaromskis 4 7.02%
Ben Quadrinaros 5 8.77%
Total: 57 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

i don't know if i started all this by saying it made me sick to watch somebody ko someone that can't defend themselves, but i saw that post, and pressed play of my own volition. i'm an adult. allegedly.

the white power slap lawyer has informed us that we need a warning! so, if you are under the age of 18 or find this program offensive, please don't look at it. thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
1 or 3 for slap fight.

Also it is true that Fight Circus is more ethical than the UFC.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
PSP MMA threads have made great posts off bad content since the beginning. If something is going to get its own thread it needs to generate at least as much content as Jon Jones.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

how long until dana is promoting a sport version of "OW! My Balls!" where dudes take turns punting each other in the giblets? It can't be far off.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I’m also having trouble envisioning a situation where slap video is posted with so little context and a thumbnail that so obscures it’s content that 3 is actually necessary. Slap fight vids appear in posts about slap fights with a big thumbnail image of a man preparing to, being, or having been slapped with a play arrow on it.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
My main issue with White Power Slap, is that its not MMA, its not even kickboxing. Its the same with wrestling chat. I remember like a year or two after Rhonda left for wrestling, someone posted a news article or video of her in WWF, and there was major uproar in the thread about how she left mma and that wrestling shouldn't be in this thread. Other UFC side projects don't mean its MMA. Didn't Dana try to start a surfing show? That shouldn't be posted here either.

Now Ronda left many years ago, so maybe the mood of our posters have changed, and this is more of a general chat thread, and not a MMA thread. IDK.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 26, 2023

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Dana White's Blood and Sand Surfing League

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I think we have a "dumb social media posts" thread. I welcome slap poo poo to be posted there.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Unperson_47 posted:

Dana White's Blood and Sand Surfing League
Whitey Don’t Surf

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Fozzy The Bear posted:

My main issue with White Power Slap, is that its not MMA, its not even kickboxing. Its the same with wrestling chat. I remember like a year or two after Rhonda left for wrestling, someone posted a news article or video of her in WWF, and there was major uproar in the thread about how she left mma and that wrestling shouldn't be in this thread. Other UFC side projects don't mean its MMA. Didn't Dana try to start a surfing show? That shouldn't be posted here either.

Now Ronda left many years ago, so maybe the mood of our posters have changed, and this is more of a general chat thread, and not a MMA thread. IDK.

I dont disagree with anything you are saying, but Ronda was a massive star and this happened at a point where SAMMA was a considerably larger pool of posters, so the volume of discussion was astronomically larger AND she went to a sports entertainment that already had its own pre-existing even larger posting community here, so there was an appropriate established place to talk about it that wasn't in the UFC thread. It's not really comparable, power slap posts happen maybe a few times every month and at most generate half a page of people saying "this is stupid, and gross."

I agree it is stupid and gross and I do not like it, but that is why I do not click on it. I dont think anyone is being bombarded with it and I have never seen it posted in here in such a way that any other poster didn't have the chance to avoid seeing Slap Fighting Content if they so wanted to.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gramps posted:

gently caress it. Let's take this to it's logical conclusion and start a headbutt only league. What's Mark Kerr up to these days?

None of the above? I'd like to see a freakshow fight thread for all the weird rogue bullshit that's out there these days like StreetBeefs and Rough and Rowdy and whatever the gently caress Fight Circus pulls out of their asses.

streetbeefs had a thread and then was put out to pasture when one of the organizers showed up and started bragging about how its actually good they don't pay the fighters any real amount of money while also monetizing the poo poo out of it etc.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nierbo posted:

I consider this the MMA thread, not 'what the UFC is doing this week' thread. So the fact that the company itself cares about slap fighting doesn't really have much weight with me or make me want to know about that side of it

Fozzy The Bear posted:

also this

slapfighting isn't mma, and the only link to it is A) the UFC's idiotic president trying to make it a thing and B) some despearte as gently caress ex fighters are doing it because they can't get cleared by a commissions for an actual sport

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 26, 2023

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

slap sport slums

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Mekchu posted:

slapfighting isn't mma, and the only link to it is A) the UFC's idiotic president trying to make it a thing and B) some despearte as gently caress ex fighters are doing it because they can't get cleared by a commissions for an actual sport

I get the rationale here, but I don't think the situations are analogous. The UFC basically didn't advertise Ultimate Surfer, it wasn't branded for them, it wasn't boosted by the company, it didn't share any resources with the company itself, and it wasn't even remotely adjacent to combat sports. Arguably BECAUSE of this failure, the UFC tied itself into Power Slap so hard that they marketed it constantly through the UFC itself. UFC talent presents and commentates it, the UFC went out of its way trying to get ex-UFC fighters to compete on it, they got a TV deal to promote it the exact way they did TUF back in the day. The UFC kicked itself out of its own bespoke arena so Power Slap could use it. Its name is literally Dana White's Power Slap. If the argument is "the only link Power Slap has to the UFC is the UFC's president and marketing and people and branding being all over it," that's not really a great argument for it not being related to the UFC, and being related to the UFC is, unfortunately, being related to MMA.

It is 100% fine to not care about slap fighting or want to know what's going on with Power Slap. I don't! But I do care about the industry, and objectively, slap fighting is a matter of consequence in the industry. This thread has always delved into topics like bullshit matchmaking, slanted marketing, corporate favoritism, fighter pay, fighter safety and fighter bargaining rights, long before I was the one making them, and Power Slap touches all of those problems. Its existence at all, in the way they have chosen for it to exist, is an active drain on the time and resources the UFC could have spent on its own fighters and cards, and its attempts to use UFC's personalities, resources and credibility to springboard it into the mainstream were odious not just because slap fighting is dogshit, but because if it had succeeded, it would have been very, very bad for the sport in terms of what the UFC learned it could get away with to sell people talent, and just how cheaply and easily supplemental product could be made. And we know this is how they looked at it, because MMA fighters who were approached to participate in Power Slap were offered a fraction of what they made fighting for the UFC.

Like, it's one thing to say "power slap isn't MMA," but it's another to say "power slap isn't relevant to the MMA industry." That's just objectively not true.

But that's also why, when I did post poo poo about Power Slap, it was about the marketing, the ratings, the failures: That's the stuff that's relevant to MMA. I didn't loving pay attention to the actual fighting. I know nothing about it, who was on it or who won, because it's loving slap fighting and who could possibly care. If anyone actually had wanted to talk about the ins and outs of slap fighting and what happened on this week's exciting episode of Hand Men, I would've asked them to make a thread to discuss it in detail with anyone who wanted to as opposed to putting it here.

All of that being said:

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I think this is a bigger thing than it's getting credit for in the greater conversation. This is also just kind of how things have gone, and it's why I care about us finding some kind of consensus on this people are at least nominally okay with. When we had to worry about wrestleposting and Brock/Ronda crossovers and etc., we also had hundreds of posters making hundreds of posts a day over hundreds of pages a month across multiple threads. There was enough foot traffic that derails were an actual problem for anyone trying to actually keep track of conversation, let alone news.

We have the opposite problem now. When someone posts slap fighting, it's going to become the conversation because that's just the volume of posting we have. At this point we've compressed the entirety of combat sports other than boxing and sumo into a single thread, there are a couple dozen of us and we get twentyish pages on a good month. We barely even need GDTs most weeks, we just do it because it's mildly more organized, and most of the B-league event posts are like three people. And that's a part of the algebra in situations like this. I, personally, think we have so little traffic in general that I'm in favor of posting whatever the gently caress in combat sports or its adjacent news that seems germane to the thread, whether it's gross industry news, Marching Powder's old thread paleontology or random MMA shitposting, because things have compressed so much that anything interesting enough to talk about is probably worth talking about, and that's why rather than relitigating slapfighting when it comes up I would rather people just post stuff they'd rather be talking about.

But the community BEING this small these days also means it's more important than it used to be that it's a community we actually want to loving be in. If the mere mention of Power Slap's existence is enough to disincline people from the thread, that's a thing we should try to figure out.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

CarlCX posted:

I get the rationale here, but I don't think the situations are analogous. The UFC basically didn't advertise Ultimate Surfer, it wasn't branded for them, it wasn't boosted by the company, it didn't share any resources with the company itself, and it wasn't even remotely adjacent to combat sports. Arguably BECAUSE of this failure, the UFC tied itself into Power Slap so hard that they marketed it constantly through the UFC itself. UFC talent presents and commentates it, the UFC went out of its way trying to get ex-UFC fighters to compete on it, they got a TV deal to promote it the exact way they did TUF back in the day. The UFC kicked itself out of its own bespoke arena so Power Slap could use it. Its name is literally Dana White's Power Slap. If the argument is "the only link Power Slap has to the UFC is the UFC's president and marketing and people and branding being all over it," that's not really a great argument for it not being related to the UFC, and being related to the UFC is, unfortunately, being related to MMA.

It is 100% fine to not care about slap fighting or want to know what's going on with Power Slap. I don't! But I do care about the industry, and objectively, slap fighting is a matter of consequence in the industry. This thread has always delved into topics like bullshit matchmaking, slanted marketing, corporate favoritism, fighter pay, fighter safety and fighter bargaining rights, long before I was the one making them, and Power Slap touches all of those problems. Its existence at all, in the way they have chosen for it to exist, is an active drain on the time and resources the UFC could have spent on its own fighters and cards, and its attempts to use UFC's personalities, resources and credibility to springboard it into the mainstream were odious not just because slap fighting is dogshit, but because if it had succeeded, it would have been very, very bad for the sport in terms of what the UFC learned it could get away with to sell people talent, and just how cheaply and easily supplemental product could be made. And we know this is how they looked at it, because MMA fighters who were approached to participate in Power Slap were offered a fraction of what they made fighting for the UFC.

Like, it's one thing to say "power slap isn't MMA," but it's another to say "power slap isn't relevant to the MMA industry." That's just objectively not true.

But that's also why, when I did post poo poo about Power Slap, it was about the marketing, the ratings, the failures: That's the stuff that's relevant to MMA. I didn't loving pay attention to the actual fighting. I know nothing about it, who was on it or who won, because it's loving slap fighting and who could possibly care. If anyone actually had wanted to talk about the ins and outs of slap fighting and what happened on this week's exciting episode of Hand Men, I would've asked them to make a thread to discuss it in detail with anyone who wanted to as opposed to putting it here.

All of that being said:

I think this is a bigger thing than it's getting credit for in the greater conversation. This is also just kind of how things have gone, and it's why I care about us finding some kind of consensus on this people are at least nominally okay with. When we had to worry about wrestleposting and Brock/Ronda crossovers and etc., we also had hundreds of posters making hundreds of posts a day over hundreds of pages a month across multiple threads. There was enough foot traffic that derails were an actual problem for anyone trying to actually keep track of conversation, let alone news.

We have the opposite problem now. When someone posts slap fighting, it's going to become the conversation because that's just the volume of posting we have. At this point we've compressed the entirety of combat sports other than boxing and sumo into a single thread, there are a couple dozen of us and we get twentyish pages on a good month. We barely even need GDTs most weeks, we just do it because it's mildly more organized, and most of the B-league event posts are like three people. And that's a part of the algebra in situations like this. I, personally, think we have so little traffic in general that I'm in favor of posting whatever the gently caress in combat sports or its adjacent news that seems germane to the thread, whether it's gross industry news, Marching Powder's old thread paleontology or random MMA shitposting, because things have compressed so much that anything interesting enough to talk about is probably worth talking about, and that's why rather than relitigating slapfighting when it comes up I would rather people just post stuff they'd rather be talking about.

But the community BEING this small these days also means it's more important than it used to be that it's a community we actually want to loving be in. If the mere mention of Power Slap's existence is enough to disincline people from the thread, that's a thing we should try to figure out.

In terms of distaste I have the same sort of view of bkfc and it's imitators taking well past their prime MMA fighters and having them compete in a different sport they generally have the offensive understanding of but not the defensive. I just don't watch either because then both are gross but the discussion of it here is still interesting. Nevada thinks it's a legitimate combat sport so who am I to judge two warehouse stackers risking a TBI for a night at tgi

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Still blows me away that Nevada wont sanction BKFC but they'll allow White Power Slap to be a thing.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

AndyElusive posted:

Still blows me away that Nevada wont sanction BKFC but they'll allow White Power Slap to be a thing.

Lmao what seriously?

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
BKFC and BYB are both also vastly superior to the UFC.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I'm curious to see Chad Mendes in a boxing only Environment after a lifetime of grappling.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nierbo posted:

I'm curious to see Chad Mendes in a boxing only Environment after a lifetime of grappling.

Hes pretty good. Especially since the drug testing is... not as strict as other orgs.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

i don't know if i started all this by saying it made me sick to watch somebody ko someone that can't defend themselves, but i saw that post, and pressed play of my own volition. i'm an adult. allegedly.

For the record it wasn't you or even anyone specific, there've been various complaints about this basically since the first news of Power Slap broke both in public and in private, and seeing the conversation come up for like the third or fourth time I figured it was past time we all talked about it and figured out what we were most collectively okay with.

Which, numerically and philosophically, appears to be option three. So: a) thank you everyone for the feedback, and b) Moving forward, let's keep actual slapfighting clips out of the MMA thread.

If there's stuff happening that's relevant to MMA--and I would say "Tim Sylvia and Mark Coleman are going to have a slap fight for money because the world is a nightmare" counts and also jesus loving christ--talk about it, but enough people straight-up don't want to see it that we can live without them for community's sake.

That said, if the few people who expressed an interest do want to start a freakshow combat sports thread as an anything-goes space for stuff like slap and fight circus and the eight different bareknuckle promotions and places where Anthony Pettis vomits pure HGH on Roy Jones Jr., by all means do, and anyone who goes into it knows what they're getting into.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I would've said option 1,just because it's easy enough to scroll past vids you don't wanna see (like I never watched that unconscious dude get his arm broken, cos, yknow, yeeesh)

But 3 is fine too, the video isn't what's relevant. Tim Sylvia we should ban though, gently caress that guy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

cagliostr0 posted:

We just had a watch session in the thread for an uncontracted fighter choking a guy out and dropping him on a kerb without a great rending of garments. Just people agreeing it was stupid thuggery and moving on.
Yeah, people rightfully concluded it was a crime and undeserved.

quote:

If that's ok then I can't see why an actual organised and promoted event is off the table

Because something organized warrants passing a higher moral bar than a one-sided street fight. Ostensibly when the stakes are clearly, unavoidably higher.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Fight circus definitely belongs in this thread now that it's the catchall mma thread

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fight circus is the only legitimate mma promotion in the world. Even despite the skeezy porno stuff. Especially because of the skeezy porno stuff. Why yes I want to see two strawweights fight the kebab man from down the street.

You know, I can't now recall anyone being badly hurt or knocked out in a fight circus match. I'm sure there have been a couple because it's fighting, but most of the weird matches end with all participants laughing and kinda being embarrassed that they participated.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I'm pretty sure that since Fight Circus has their events in Pattaya they get to hire pretty experienced refs that know what they're doing.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
Really just seems like a bored IK getting fidgety and loving with stuff for 0 reason.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Tim Sylvia we should ban though, gently caress that guy.

hey, matt hughes posts here!

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'll go ahead and throw in a symbolic vote for 2. Power slap sucks, Dana sucks, and I don't see any fun or enjoyment (or even anything interesting) being wrung out of that whole misery machine. I know I'm in the minority though.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, sorry, that was insufficiently clear of me. Slap video's the only stuff we're not putting in here any more, Fight Circus is fine and I didn't mean to intimate any additional anti-Fight Circus posting, I was just sort of topically referencing all The Fringe of Combat Sports stuff together for what would theoretically be in a thread.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Some goon is looking for an MMA gif

HBomb posted:

Anyone have the GIF of the MMA fighter pinned by his opponent, getting repeatedly punched in the face, but after every punch he makes a silly, taunting face at the guy punching him?

For some reason I have in my head this was in a pancrase fight

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
That's seriously from an actual fight and not just a wrestling gif? wtf

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

This thread filled up with Cool Dudes

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Brut posted:

Well it was Pancrase, so both

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Brut posted:

Pancrase had weird rules to encourage a more pro wrestling style of fight [and also would straight up just do worked fights quite a lot] and one of the rules was no closed-fist hitting.

Shamrock [the goofy dude] was trying to annoy Bas Rutten [the slapping dude] into punching him so that he'd get docked a point or DQd.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Skulker posted:

Pancrase had weird rules to encourage a more pro wrestling style of fight [and also would straight up just do worked fights quite a lot] and one of the rules was no closed-fist hitting.

Shamrock [the goofy dude] was trying to annoy Bas Rutten [the slapping dude] into punching him so that he'd get docked a point or DQd.

Weak strategy. An open-palmed slap is already the best, most satisfying strike to use on a person who is being an annoying dipshit!

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Being kind of a dipshit was Frank's thing in general. Never forget that EliteXC pinned its entire inaugural event to the name value of a recently unretired Frank Shamrock vs Renzo Gracie, and then Frank scored a historically rare double-whammy disqualification by repeatedly kneeing Renzo in the back of the head while they were both on the ground, and when asked why he would cheat so flagrantly he replied 'I dunno, I thought we were fighting'

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

Weak strategy. An open-palmed slap is already the best, most satisfying strike to use on a person who is being an annoying dipshit!

And thus Slap Fighting was born...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Skulker posted:

one of the rules was no closed-fist hitting.

To the head. You could closed fist punch to the body and boy did Bas ever.