Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, he was befriending nazis while using his forums handle. The moderation team never gave any details of the operation for "opsec" purposes*, but we only have the word of absolute idiots that he wasn't compromised and banning people and sharing PII on behalf of the nazis, so you don't have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

*"Never allow an amateur to attempt counterintelligence" is opsec 101, as multiple goons pointed out to zero official response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm really interested in trying out Shadows of Doubt, a semi-procedureally-generated murder mystery immersive sim that was just released yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeB4veq5IRI

This game looks incredibly up my street hell yeah

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Jeff activating the Coupons sleeper agent to come mow down thirty people for calling PPJ the worlds biggest dumbass is the best part

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

Jeff activating the Coupons sleeper agent to come mow down thirty people for calling PPJ the worlds biggest dumbass is the best part

That was the funniest part of the whole thread, just this guy from a far off part of the forums (that hardly anybody either previously interacted with or ever heard of) getting activated to straight up murk anyone that dared to even breathe the wrong way

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole thing was a lead up with the mods making the worst possible decisions in general, and for once without even Lowtax being involved. Also Koala's March supposedly trusted PPJ's word.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

the sex ghost posted:

This game looks incredibly up my street hell yeah

Update to this:

I didn't buy it yet but a friend of mine has been sharing his misadventures so far

quote:

So it turns out you can take the fingerprints of sleeping people and stabbing them unconscious with their own knives and then handcuffing them is redundant.

quote:

So one way I've found to get into secure areas with people inside, walk up to the door with a fire extinguisher, set the fire extinguisher down, knock, pick it back up and when they open the door, throw it in their face. Somehow this is a silent take down. I then retrieved the extinguisher, walked inside and took out the rest of the office that way. Then I looked at their vmails (vacuum mails sent through a series of vacuum tubes in the city)

So I guess I'll be getting this later today.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

hey i bought it it's really fun

Awesome! I will definitely try it out.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 26, 2023

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole thing was a lead up with the mods making the worst possible decisions in general, and for once without even Lowtax being involved. Also Koala's March supposedly trusted PPJ's word.

I legit think they were all just trying to have his back, but when they asked him to come up with an excuse he said, "Uh, I'm a spy," and then they were stuck with the dumbest possible thing to defend.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I seem to recall koala March saying that it was true she received hours of Intel from ppj but later admitted she read none of them

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In a rare defense of KM I wouldn't read any of that, either.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I seem to recall koala March saying that it was true she received hours of Intel from ppj but later admitted she read none of them

I love how this adds up to the dumbest possible answer.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

like Trump's binders

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Nuns with Guns posted:

Update to this:

I didn't buy it yet but a friend of mine has been sharing his misadventures so far

So I guess I'll be getting this later today.

Awesome! I will definitely try it out.

I've been playing it a bit and it's cool. AI is weird and very Must Have Been Rats but there's a real charm to the fully-modelled city block and so on, and the randomised cases are intriguing even if they can be hard and lead to lots of dead ends.

I took a case to find a stolen prop gun and while investigating that, there was a random murder in the street outside - but I wanted to wrap up this gun case first. I was almost at the point of breaking into the apartment of everyone who knew the person who was stolen from, but then had the brainwave to check the security footage and was able to realise that one of her coworkers had been in the building at 2.30am so they were probably the suspect, and I found where they lived by checking the employee records at their job and then broke in and found the stolen prop gun. case solved

but then the murder... granted it was like half a day cold at that point but I had almost no leads. Someone had been shot to death in the street, no witnesses, no cameras, nothing I could really fingerprint. the victim had a silenced pistol on them. I did have one lead though. I checked out their place of work and a coworker of the deceased had a personnel file that said they had anger issues, and she had some pamphlets about joining a cult which sounded like the stuff another murderer had in their apartment. So I traced down her residence, broke in, and I even found a gun in her apartment which matched the wound (a non-silenced pistol). She came home while I was ransacking her apartment and I beat her unconscious with my fists and then handcuffed her. Handed the case in and... I got every field wrong. Suspect, murder weapon, place of residence, etc. So I'd just burgled and assaulted some poor woman who had nothing to do with the crime. I got a $1000 fine for that. I'm not a good detective

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sounds like a realistic cop game, then.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 26, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The PPJ stuff is even dumber then it sounds

Hello, posters of cspam.

quote:

Aran, the Something Sensitive siterunner, has now joined with the other group. Such a delightful group of people have found true love in each other's arms.

Why is any of this poo poo important to you? Because the only way to remove people who are causing trouble for our posters is by unmasking them and tracking where
they pop up.

Why the gently caress am I in there on the name I use for other poo poo? Well, honestly? I couldn't get another invite that wouldn't be suspicious. I only got in because the Gaming Garbage invite was still active, which I used with my original account so it'd line up. The only major time there were giant open invites to blend in with was when they decided to drop that in the FYAD QCS threads.

Why am I typing all this dumb poo poo? Because the only way to fit in with a group like this, is to post like this. They talk about anime, I'll talk about anime. Guns of the world, sure. Horrendous awful disgusting food concoctions of the 1960s? Yeah.

So what the gently caress does this all mean? Well, thanks to being in there, there have been accounts found out and banned and lies given light so they're addressed. I'm not going to give out specifics as to which people got banned as a result. Helping to prevent further doxxing of one of my fellow mods was an added bonus.

The thing I gotta ask is, where are you getting your links from? Because hey, they definitely figured out it was me.

Includes

MohawkSatan posted:

PPJ's story is legit. I've got the stuff he collected, and it's loving paydirt. Two loving years of logs, usernames, etc. I've barely touched it and I've got 22 usernames (less than half of which have been banned) and several of which I've tracked down and linked to Nazi poo poo elsewhere in less than an hour's work. Hell I've got a name and home address and a google street view screenshot of the Nazi flag in hanging in the front window of one of them.

Ya'll know me. If there was any doubt in my mind I wouldn't be defending him. I'd be calling for him to have a meeting with a guillotine.

MohawkSatan posted:

And all this is why I'm being very very careful with the info I've got, and what I've been managing to dig up. It's going to you mod types (for forums relevant stuff) because

I'm being real goddamned sure to make sure that everything fits before I even share with mods, because throwing what's basically weaponized information is really really not good. Some dumbass from cspam or something ain't going to use it properly and accuse/doxx the wrong person, or worse. And gods know I don't want that weighing on me.

The only people that will be getting any info on this are a) very limited and closely trusted antifascist if there is something specific I can safely share that will help them keep other people safe and b) mods/admins. Aside from that, there's one other person who's helping me do SA focused digging, and they're only getting a possible or related username and a request to hunt out posts from that person or find what they've changed their username to.

edit: to be clear, unless I'm 100% positive, nobody gets poo poo, and if I am that positive I'm going to be very very very loving careful with what I DO give and to who. Honestly, there's vastly greater odds of me getting doxxed than me doxxing someone else.

Edit2: requested by other folks for security reasons.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

The Koala's March connection

Koalas March posted:

I didn't want to have to do this but gently caress it.
Jones helps run a network keeping tabs on chud and Nazi goons. I know some of those people/goons who assist in this, but I am with holding their name(s) for very obvious reasons. Jones has personally come to me with evidence of neonazis doxxing me, skoll in particular, threatening me and telling each other to do poo poo like take pictures of my house, mail me stuff etc. Whenever something heats up off-site and I might be in danger, Jones tells me. I have gigs of data sent to me by Jones whole he was collecting info on them. I've known this for a long, long time. I know which discords he is in and the people he is monitoring in those discords. I know that this info has been collecting over time was/is used to help keep the GDN chud and Nazi free.

I'm doing my best not to be really disheartened by this, but yeah. That's what I know.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Indeed. Blowing up a legit informant over cspam drama makes it actively harder to fight nazis on this site. I'm sure that sounds ridiculous but as more and more community interactions happen on discord, we rely on information from folks in those discords to help prevent planned abuse such as this. A month ago, everyone was *begging* us to do something about doxxing - this is what doing something about doxxing looks like. We don't control offsite poo poo and need folks in those spaces if we're to be anything but blind. The mod forum frequently discusses and permabans people from hateful offsite places because we want to prevent them from negatively influencing the forums. On multiple occasions I've personally done it based directly on information nazi alt accounts from PPJ.

When QCS was closed after the mass banning of people losing their poo poo about PPJ
Re-Open QCS already

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Did any of the vile Nazi CHUD goons get banned in the aftermath of Operation Moron

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

Did any of the vile Nazi CHUD goons get banned in the aftermath of Operation Moron
I think at least one guy who came into the QCS thread?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

quote:

I've got the stuff he collected, and it's loving paydirt. Two loving years of logs, usernames, etc. I've barely touched it and I've got 22 usernames (less than half of which have been banned) and several of which I've tracked down and linked to Nazi poo poo elsewhere in less than an hour's work. 

I want this in that MGS codec meme format.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

DaysBefore posted:

PCOS bill?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

PCOS Bill had already been perm'd for three years at that point.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

John Charity Spring posted:

I've been playing it a bit and it's cool. AI is weird and very Must Have Been Rats but there's a real charm to the fully-modelled city block and so on, and the randomised cases are intriguing even if they can be hard and lead to lots of dead ends.

I took a case to find a stolen prop gun and while investigating that, there was a random murder in the street outside - but I wanted to wrap up this gun case first. I was almost at the point of breaking into the apartment of everyone who knew the person who was stolen from, but then had the brainwave to check the security footage and was able to realise that one of her coworkers had been in the building at 2.30am so they were probably the suspect, and I found where they lived by checking the employee records at their job and then broke in and found the stolen prop gun. case solved

but then the murder... granted it was like half a day cold at that point but I had almost no leads. Someone had been shot to death in the street, no witnesses, no cameras, nothing I could really fingerprint. the victim had a silenced pistol on them. I did have one lead though. I checked out their place of work and a coworker of the deceased had a personnel file that said they had anger issues, and she had some pamphlets about joining a cult which sounded like the stuff another murderer had in their apartment. So I traced down her residence, broke in, and I even found a gun in her apartment which matched the wound (a non-silenced pistol). She came home while I was ransacking her apartment and I beat her unconscious with my fists and then handcuffed her. Handed the case in and... I got every field wrong. Suspect, murder weapon, place of residence, etc. So I'd just burgled and assaulted some poor woman who had nothing to do with the crime. I got a $1000 fine for that. I'm not a good detective

lmfao im getting this game right now

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Terrible Opinions posted:

PCOS Bill had already been perm'd for three years at that point.

I don't know how time works

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

pentyne posted:

When QCS was closed after the mass banning of people losing their poo poo about PPJ
Re-Open QCS already

lol:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"her" posters

the worst type of modbrain. well. second worst.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah it did. It was Spanish Manlove.

lol.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it was good for deranged posts like multiple people complaining that they would only use the same six monsters for almost the entire game and as a result they would be overleveled. who the gently caress plays pokemon that way, and if you do i will flame you

I plan my team in advance.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm going to flame you, which you are weak to, as electric/steel.

DarksydePhilFish
Dec 31, 2004

tabarnak ack ack

pentyne posted:

The PPJ stuff is even dumber then it sounds

Hello, posters of cspam.

Includes

The Koala's March connection

Re-Open QCS already

It continues to be absolutely hilarious that every idiot involved was forced to address this while simultaneously trying to shove FYAD's still-cooling body under the floorboards, because their sophisticated anti-Nazi sting operation had turned up exactly jack poo poo relating to the supposed fash epicenter of SA, if not the progenitors of the entire alt-right movement.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Later, that saga was adopted into the hit strategy video game Among Us.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm going to flame you, which you are weak to, as electric/steel.

*mgmt falsetto* gonna flame you, which you're weak to as electric/steel

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Zero_Grade posted:

:same: MOO2 holds up surprisingly well for being older than these forums. The Stellar Converter animation is satisfying every single time.

is it similar to civilization or is it all about war?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I have, in my hands, information that will lead to the arrest of the SA Rust Discord server

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

*mgmt falsetto* gonna flame you, which you're weak to as electric/steel

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

DaysBefore posted:

taylor swift

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't know how time works

you are actually mildly right though because this was the fiasco that revealed pcos bill was in fact aran of somethingsensitive, which he reregged to very lamely crow about while everyone ignored him and he got perma'd a second time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cranappleberry posted:

is it similar to civilization or is it all about war?

there are no win conditions that aren't military

I think technically the galactic senate victory was supposed to be diplomatic, in that you need to get 2/3 of the galaxy's population to support you, but in practice the way you achieve that win is by having 2/3 of the population all by yourself. defeating the antarans is sort of a tech victory, but the way that you actually use that tech is by defeating a powerful enemy fleet

It's a really solid game but it's about as expansive as you'd expect from a game released in 1996. It does a few things really really well instead of trying to appeal to a bunch of different playstyles

That thing that it does really well is the tech system. There's a bunch of separate tech lines, and no mechanic forcing you to balance your research, so you can lunge far up one tree if you want. At each level, there's 1-3 techs, but you have to choose one, and the others are gone forever--unless you take them from your neighbors. So you have to think about what you actually need and respond to your strategic situation in what you think is essential and what you can do without. Then the military techs aren't just new units like in civ, they're ship components, and you design the ships yourself, filling them up with all the goodies you've researched. There's potentially some really interesting counterplay in designing ships that can answer what your opponents have cooked up, as well.

The species are also much more distinct than the factions in most 4xs, and it has a really cool custom species creation system

e: it occurs to me your question probably meant more like "what genre is it" and it's a 4x, not a pure wargame. So yes, it's like civ in that regard.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 26, 2023

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

DaysBefore posted:

lmfao

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

cheetah7071 posted:

been playing a lot of master of orion 2 recently and in my early wars I'll carefully avoid civilian casualties (because those civilians are about to become productive citizens of my empire) but then once I hit the inflection point where I'm unstoppable and newly conquered colonies are just annoyances that ping me when they need orders I'll research the infinite-range fuel cells and just bomb the remaining half of the galaxy to death to get to the win screen

or research evolutionary mutation, take telepathic as my bonus trait, and mind control them all so I don't need to bother building troop transports

i usually roll a custom race with the subterranean trait as the more citizens you can cram onto a planet the more you can produce. then it becomes a matter of having one or two colony ships along with my fleet going around seeding newly cleansed planets

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yakuza 5, harukas part...apparently I not only want a brawler but I also want to play a rhythm game cause goddamn am I having too much fun in this chapter.

So much so that I've managed to hurt my goddamn wrist (carpal tunnel) from playing too much. I'm not even old!

Hopefully park doesn't turn into a baddie cause she's a goddamn boss

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

i usually roll a custom race with the subterranean trait as the more citizens you can cram onto a planet the more you can produce. then it becomes a matter of having one or two colony ships along with my fleet going around seeding newly cleansed planets

if I'm subterranean I'll just ship one of my colonists to each conquered world so I keep the existing productive citizens but I get the pop cap increase, also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
If you want something like Masters of Orion but a bit more modern, try Galactic Civilizations. It plays with pretty similar rules, though it does sand off some of the cool unique stuff from MoO in favor of supporting broader playstyles.