Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh what is this

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Why does yours have all those extra runners?

Gonna use the new one as an excuse to finally build the original Rose kit concurrently and curse the lack of/marvel at 30 years of progress

Moai Ou fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 25, 2023

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
For pre-shading do I always want to use black or do certain colours want different undercoats? Finishing my Barbatos up now and for the white armor the pre-shading looks fine and has left some nice shadows, but on the lighter colours like the yellow and red accents it doesn't seem to have worked so well and has left the pieces looking kind of harsh and dirty. Can't take a picture right but instead of the pre-shaded areas being just a darker shade of yellow/red it's just kind of gray-ish and bad-looking. For light colours do I want to be using a different colour to pre-shade?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 25, 2023

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Pierson posted:

For pre-shading do I always want to use black or do certain colours want different undercoats? Finishing my Barbatos up now and for the white armor the pre-shading looks fine and has left some nice shadows, but on the lighter colours like the yellow and red accents it doesn't seem to have worked so well and has left the pieces looking kind of harsh and dirty. Can't take a picture right but instead of the pre-shaded areas being just a darker shade of yellow/red it's just kind of gray-ish and bad-looking. For light colours do I want to be using a different colour to pre-shade?

One of my favourite things about preshading is that the underlying colour can have a significant effect.

I'd recommend a pink, red, or purple for preshading yellow. With red, greens make for an excellent preshade. I'd suggest getting a bunch of plastic spoons, priming them, and then having a play around with different colours to see it in action, and it'll let you dial in just how much "pop" you want from the top layer colour.

e: Here's a good example from my friend and forums poster tterrible, the pinkish purple gives the yellow a warmer tone and feels like a much more natural shade than if he had used black.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Apr 25, 2023

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Thanks! I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and just strip the armor from my Barbatos and start again. There are some other small problems with it too (some panel lines didn't come out right and no matter how careful I am I still end up chipping it somehow) but at the end of the day that I'm just not happy with the colours. I'll put it aside for now so I don't get burned out painting a single kit for a month and come back to it after a while.

Edit: Should I bother separating the pieces and soaking them in separate batches or can I just put them all in a big isopropyl bath together without worries? Not really stripped any paint before.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 25, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm not thrilled with how my Messer came out. The LED mod worked great, but the paint job... I made a lot of mistakes.

The Bad:
1. I didn't write down/track my paint mixing for the red-brown parts, and I ran out before finishing the arms, back, and skirt panels. So they're a lighter, less saturated color.
2. The Odenkan paints were EXTREMELY finicky. They are very unforgiving of poor technique, and I have a long way to go in my airbrushing skill. If you put them on too thick, they will happily develop air bubbles leaving pock marks on the surface and exposing the base coat. This even happened with the Odenkan clear coat, which would not only bubble, but bubble in a way that damaged the color coat and... exposed the base coat. Further, it had a tendency to chip.
3. I was too aggressive with the top coat of Mr. Color Gloss, and it ended up pooling around the sides of the cockpit. Which, you guessed it, ate away the base colors.
4. In general, my paint and gloss applications feel too thick, and this leads to fitment problems.
5. Hand-painting lacquer on lacquer seems extremely difficult since the solvent will happily eat into the previous layer even after that layer has cured. It worked well enough on the yellow accents for the shoulder and face pipes, but the 'chamber' of the rifle (I'm hand-painting the rifle details) picked up the green base coat and mixed with the brown. Maybe the next layer will fix that, but I think going forward I'm going to try and use acrylics for detail colors. I bought some samples of AK's acrylic line that I'm hoping will be a good compliment to my paint collection. I'll be testing them out on a different project soon.
6. I learned that gloss coating metallic paint blows out the metallic luster. So the engine bells don't look like how I intended at all.

The Good:
1. The LED mod worked great. I didn't end up putting a lens in since I'm overall fed up with the project, but everything came together almost exactly how I planned. I'm looking forward to doing more lighting work on future kits.
2. I honestly loved the original color mixes I made for it. My red-brown was darker and richer than the canon color, and I think it looks great in contrast to the more canon-accurate tan.
3. I think my panel lining came out more consistent this time. That said... don't do the wash and then leave it for two weeks before cleaning up. Do it later the same day.
4. The overall model is great. Enough that I'm absolutely going to buy a second one in the future once I have more experience and redo the whole project, including the LED. It has great shelf presence. Probably one of my favorite designs and is an absolute 10/10 recommendation, even if the skirt bits are fiddly and like to pop off.

I'll post some pictures later tonight.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There seem to be rumors going around that the main mobile suit from the WfM side manga Vanadis Heart, the Gundam Lfrith Jiu, is set to become an HG through PB

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Feels like everything is a PB kit these days. At least anything I want.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Pierson posted:

Edit: Should I bother separating the pieces and soaking them in separate batches or can I just put them all in a big isopropyl bath together without worries? Not really stripped any paint before.

Not stripped anything but warhammer miniatures before so not sure, sorry! You'll be cleaning the pieces anyway so I don't see the harm in doing them in one lot, other than the chore of then scrubbing them.

Biostrip 20 is what I use for stripping styrene models, does wonders after just 30 minutes of soak. If you go the biostrip route, test with leftover sprue/runners to make sure it doesn't immediately turn the material into soft goop or something.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

There seem to be rumors going around that the main mobile suit from the WfM side manga Vanadis Heart, the Gundam Lfrith Jiu, is set to become an HG through PB

Well there you go

https://twitter.com/figsoku_r/status/1650998643112148992?s=46&t=RfhlX-UN9YMscISDFJ-6Yw

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Don’t care though

Desultor model when

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

best gun in Gundam

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

El Burbo posted:

Don’t care though

Desultor model when

Desultor and Prodoros.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I want a Prodoros so loving bad and I can feel in my bones that it'll probably be a PB kit :negative:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

That kids got some 1.5 Gundam dna

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

best gun in Gundam

Stick it on a Silver Bullet Suppressor

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
P-Bandai drop inbound — 04/26, 9PM EST/6PM PST:

https://p-bandai.com/us/search?sort=relevance&shop=05-002&sellDate=0&text=

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

this thing rules

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Picked up my first Gundam since Gundam W was originally airing in America.

Got teenage nostalgia for Deathscythe. I haven't built it yet, but I'm already thinking about getting a God Gundam if this build goes well.

Is there a preferred God Gundam out there? I saw something about a gold version. Don't know if that's coming out soon, or if it will even be available in the U.S.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Got teenage nostalgia for Deathscythe. I haven't built it yet, but I'm already thinking about getting a God Gundam if this build goes well.

Is there a preferred God Gundam out there? I saw something about a gold version. Don't know if that's coming out soon, or if it will even be available in the U.S.

The RG just came out last year. Not beginner friendly, but it has amazing articulation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oh my god; It's a Gund-Bit Rocket Punch :magical:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I want the Eric Manthfield's custom so bad but lol I'm in the UK.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

El Burbo posted:

Don’t care though

Desultor model when

:same:

And the Prodoros, too.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

The gold God Gundam is a special version of the master grade from 2001. I don't think it's a new kit, I think it got a reprint recently.

Right now your only easy to obtain option is probably the real grade from last year. It's the most recent real grade and one of the best. It will be more challenging if you're just starting out.

http://dalong.net/ is an excellent resource for finding out about kits.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I have the HG from a few years ago that I'll never get to and I'm happy to give you for way less than eBay scalpers if you're in the US, PM me if you're interested or we can go to SA-Mart or whatever.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

man i built the hguc hyaku shiki revive and loved it, had such a good time with it, great parts separation, the definition of a solid hg. and actually i like the shiny yellow vs the chrome metallic gold of the old one, it kinda reads like an "animation color" version. i was so jazzed i grabbed the zeta revive and opened it up and saw all the color correcting stickers and it totally took the wind out of my sails. gonna spray up the wings for the red accents rather than use the stickers but man what a bummer. even more excited now for the mg zeta ver ka

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

What're the odds bandai will skip over the prodoros and sedultor.

It feels odd some of them got announced way back when and these two weren't. Feels like they got skipped or something.

Hand over the designs Bandai I'll go melt the plastic myself.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If you want Bandai to release more obscure G-Witch kits you need to buy all the non-Aerial kits you can.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I would if my local shop had any. I'm still waiting for the zowort heavy.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I would if my local shop had any. I'm still waiting for the zowort heavy.

Must be nice having a local hobby shop... nothing near me specializes in models other than maybe tabletop wargames. The closest thing I have is an RC shop that dedicates about half the floor space to plastic models, trains, and other hobbies, and the other half exclusively to RC. Guess which side of the shop gets more attention and what the staff knows anything about?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Might as well pony up for the Schwarzette

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I believe someone shared these files in the thread before but I just want to say they are amazingly good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083W67GZS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MillennialVulcan posted:

I believe someone shared these files in the thread before but I just want to say they are amazingly good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083W67GZS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Glass files in general rock. I picked up Gunprimer's Raser recently (I already have a pair of Sirens) and the hype around that thing is actually justified.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I'm plugging through the MG Red Frame Kai and while it's pretty interesting to see how all of this is coming together, is it just me or are there a lot of tiny pieces in the legs that don't really seem to.. do anything?

There's a few in the legs that keeps popping out but I cannot for the life of me figure out what their purpose are if the armor is not only going to completely cover it, but it fits pretty securely on the leg even without some of those pieces?

Dunno if this is intentional or just 2010 engineering

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

MechaX posted:

I'm plugging through the MG Red Frame Kai and while it's pretty interesting to see how all of this is coming together, is it just me or are there a lot of tiny pieces in the legs that don't really seem to.. do anything?

There's a few in the legs that keeps popping out but I cannot for the life of me figure out what their purpose are if the armor is not only going to completely cover it, but it fits pretty securely on the leg even without some of those pieces?

Dunno if this is intentional or just 2010 engineering

Those pieces are part of the articulation when the leg is done. Some of them will slide the armour pieces when you bend the knee, some of them will just move into place and show the inner frame.
Trust in Bandai's engineering. Some of it can be real fiddly when assembling but it's always worth it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mindblast posted:

It feels odd some of them got announced way back when and these two weren't. Feels like they got skipped or something.

Hand over the designs Bandai I'll go melt the plastic myself.

Still waiting on an HG Hecate from G-Reco! :shepspends:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Mindblast posted:

Fairly high, unfortunately.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Old acquisitions:

New acquisitions:

Recent accomplishment:

I'm kinda torn on what to do with this one. I kind of want to keep it on the stand due to the funnel gimmick, but I could also attach the funnels to the Gundam and just have it stand normally, and use the base for something else.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Must be nice having a local hobby shop... nothing near me specializes in models other than maybe tabletop wargames. The closest thing I have is an RC shop that dedicates about half the floor space to plastic models, trains, and other hobbies, and the other half exclusively to RC. Guess which side of the shop gets more attention and what the staff knows anything about?

I'm lucky to have two places in a short drive. One's a RC shop like you've got, but with a bigger model kit section (both sides of an aisle running the whole length of the store. They've often got some older stuff, like the Zabungle kits Bandai reprinted lately, and which turned out to need much more glue than I was hoping.), and the other's a smaller store that just does model kits. Owner's offered painting services and has a bunch of cool customs on display in the windows.

There's also a bunch more places that have a few kits, but those two are the ones that are most likely to have something more obscure. (Picked up an Ultraman spaceship pocket sized model, the 1/60 Patlabor Alphonse Special, a Eureka 7 kit, the Sgt. Frog combining mech... it's pretty neat to see what all Bandai's made over the years.)

I'll also note that, although the model-kit only shop tends to have a couple bucks markup, it did have some Witch from Mercury kits on overstock sale, so that was nice. (Just the Demi Trainer. The Gundams sell fine, and the Aerial doesn't stay on the shelves long anywhere.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Warmachine posted:

Glass files in general rock. I picked up Gunprimer's Raser recently (I already have a pair of Sirens) and the hype around that thing is actually justified.

I also recently got the Gunprimer Raser and highly recommend. I would actually say the ones linked on Amazon are great and to just skip the Sirens and go straight for the Raser if you want to upgrade from the Amazon generics.