Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Fuses.

Idk how much I'm supposed to post about explosives ITT, but black powder is usually used in detonators, fuses.

It's a low explosive, so not used for warheads but for other parts of the explosive train, booster charges, pyrotechnics and the like.

Huh. Interesting. I guess you couldn't have electrical detonators in a missile that sits in a sub for a decade for reliability issues. Seems like you could sub in pentaerythritol tetranitrate fuzes or something but that might have its own issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Delta-Wye posted:

the usa is going to reinvent backyard pigiron pigpowder

Just imagine what the American Great Leap Forward would look like?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

KomradeX posted:

Just imagine what the American Great Leap Forward would look like?

Sounds like 200k new DIY youtubers.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Sounds like 200k new DIY youtubers.

lmfao

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
hey guys song gang here and today we're going to be building a slingshotgun to do our part in clearing the plague of sparrows from our land

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 74 days!
like subscribe and ring the bell for more tips on smelting your neighborhood's doorknobs

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

American great leap forward should be melting down guns to make worse guns

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mycomancy posted:

Lol you weirdos they need megatons of powder that meets reliability guidelines, and that means a factory.

maybe they shouldn’t have blown it up if they needed it so bad

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

mycomancy posted:

Lol you weirdos they need megatons of powder that meets reliability guidelines, and that means a factory.
Gunpowder comes in a can, it was put there by a man, in a factory that got blown up

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

“American owned “

there are other powder makers just not American owned.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

“American owned “

there are other powder makers just not American owned.

critical defense infrastructure being "American owned" would be preferable, it seems like

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Hatebag posted:

how many of those liberator pistols could you make from an ar-15?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

indigi posted:

critical defense infrastructure being "American owned" would be preferable, it seems like

Broke: state ownership and operation of critical national defense infrastructure and production
Woke: single source private for-profit ownership and operation of critical national defense infrastructure and production as long as the owner contributes to my senate campaign

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

indigi posted:

it would!

but it’s still physically in the country.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Like I said, colonial Williamsburg needs to come online, it’s America’s only hope.

https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.org/locations/gunsmith-shop/

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
SKorea prez Yoon just come to US to kiss Biden's butt, just outsource the black powder production to the South Koreans.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Oldest Man posted:

Broke: state ownership and operation of critical national defense infrastructure and production
Woke: single source private for-profit ownership and operation of critical national defense infrastructure and production as long as the owner contributes to my senate campaign

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Isentropy posted:

how many of those liberator pistols could you make from an ar-15?

Looks like an ar15 weighs about 6.5 times as much as a liberator pistol but some of that is probably not useable steel. I think you could probably make 3 or 4 pig iron liberators outta one but they'd probably just explode on the first shot

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hatebag posted:

Looks like an ar15 weighs about 6.5 times as much as a liberator pistol but some of that is probably not useable steel. I think you could probably make 3 or 4 pig iron liberators outta one but they'd probably just explode on the first shot

So a normal liberator then

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

neoliberal rot of defense industry isn't that bad because the us losing is fine, even good

this is a thread about cackling joyously at least imo

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/StarboySAR/status/1650917659834458114

terf island going to have billions of gdp spending on a visibly rusting navy by the last half of the century

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lol every time the red faced thumb people vote for another 4 years of tories the country gets a little poorer and weaker causing them to react in anger and voting for even more tories

kinda like how Thatcher, the hero of smart economically minded people, was the person that started the downfall. To think that the IRA tried so hard to kill her.

Regarde Aduck has issued a correction as of 20:23 on Apr 26, 2023

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

does the uk even have a navy anymore i know its become a fifth-rate joke of a vassal state but still

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

HallelujahLee posted:

does the uk even have a navy anymore i know its become a fifth-rate joke of a vassal state but still

How dare you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhoQ7tGjjWE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhdcnQZf3fo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY_k2eguOkk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWxp9-l73Og
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGbjEWgVTyA

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:34 on Apr 26, 2023

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

HallelujahLee posted:

Well they've got a single aircraft carrier and 10 subs, 4 of which are nuke launchers. So they could cause the apocalypse if they wanted to but they're basically just an adjunct fleet for america

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

atelier morgan posted:

neoliberal rot of defense industry isn't that bad because the us losing is fine, even good

this is a thread about cackling joyously at least imo

The US losing any kind of confrontation with a legitimated state opponent like China is going to trigger an outbreak of the most jingoist, nationalist, and revanchist psychopathic behavior of the kind we have no modern context for.

US hegemony is bad but hoo boy just wait until the people whose comfortable lives depend on it wake up and smell the imperial decline, it'll make the post 9/11 hysteria look like a fun joke

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

very powerful stuff

Hatebag posted:

Well they've got a single aircraft carrier and 10 subs, 4 of which are nuke launchers. So they could cause the apocalypse if they wanted to but they're basically just an adjunct fleet for america

is that other aircraft carrier functional or is it also broken

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

HallelujahLee posted:

very powerful stuff

I'm guessing if they're scrapping the other one of its kind for parts it's probably not in great shape

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

HallelujahLee posted:

very powerful stuff

it works in the sense that it floats and goes where it needs to go to but it doesnt work in the sense that its air complement is theoretically comprised of the f-35 and in reality practically doesn't exist

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It literally had to turn around and head back to port because of breaking down a week ago and this is like the fourth time that's happened so it can't even do that

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

very powerful navy indeed

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

strong britain great navy

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
lol when I was in I got a call about how the only hellfire testing center had "accidently" pumped corrosive gas into like 500 million dollars worth of missiles, so whoever is in charge of making our weapons is not good

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How the gently caress :psyduck:

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Unironically the most accurate depiction of submarine life.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I got into a small discussion at work today with a coworker about how America will lose the war its provoking and people really are invested in our invincible Wunderwaffe will always have us win

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Anyway, the state of the RN is 1:1 because of Thatcher, which goes back to British Tories (voters) destroying every source of national pride by not understanding Tories (politicians, capital).

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Hatebag posted:

making the pipe weapons from fallout for real.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
a significant portion of the other British aircraft carrier's nominal fighter complement are literally Americans, as in, American aviators flying American aircraft and operating under American command, which is to say that if and when the ship does anything at all it is only because the US has deigned to allow them to

functionally it's just an American ship the Americans don't have to pay for, and this is the 'pride' of the once-mighty Royal Navy, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/StarboySAR/status/1650917659834458114

terf island going to have billions of gdp spending on a visibly rusting navy by the last half of the century

That is honestly pretty screwed up even for the UK. The LCS was a joke but cannibalizing a just-commissioned carrier is something else.