Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've killed morgott and i'm still so lost lol

edit: never mind found the big door i could open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The most dumbass thing I did in this game was think Gostoc was an enemy in Stormveil, jump-attack him from above, then run away to try to shake his aggro, leading him to fall off a cliff and die.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Omnomnomnivore posted:

The most dumbass thing I did in this game was think Gostoc was an enemy in Stormveil, jump-attack him from above, then run away to try to shake his aggro, leading him to fall off a cliff and die.

No, that rules, actually

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Hot online play tip: warming stones are incredibly useful for phantom's while roaming large dungeons like Lyndell. The crafting recipe is in central Altus in one of the wormface ruins. Sanctuary stones can be gathered 6 at a time in Lurnia on the ruin chunk near Patches/Rya. Eventually you can just buy them from the twin husks.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

That means you never had to deal with the rear end in a top hat stealing a bunch of your runes, so... good job!

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Gostoc is a poo poo but for me its worth keeping him alive to hear him talking poo poo on godrick, a much bigger piece of poo poo

poo poo

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

lite_sleepr posted:

About what level are you?

This sounds fresh and neat to try.

Right now I'm level 60 and mainly spec'ing DEX/ARC since I've never played that build before. I have a Nightrider Flail +15 which I think is throwing off my summon range a bit so I am looking around for fun spears. I'm really missing the Winged Spear from DS1.

Dyz posted:

Been doing the same, limgrave/stormveil/weeping at lvl 20-30 is some of the best co op. Just dont touch the statue at the First Steps unless you want to constantly be summoned to it for pvp.

Too late :smith:

Some dumb poo poo: I get summoned to the Auriza Hero's Grave three times last night, the one with two heavy hitting armored knights as the boss. The fight would start ok and we'd each tank a knight, but the host has ZERO situational awareness and kited his knight right on top of me every time. Fourth time I got summoned I used the severer right in his face and logged out lol.

Drain 001 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 27, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CommonShore posted:

ok the coop multiplayer discussion has me wanting to try it -

how do I actually do it? Is there any way that I can just press a button or use a thing to say "yeah summon me I don't care where" without going around and activating every drat summoning pool thing

Seamless Coop mod removes all the gamey stuff and let's you just play with friends, it's amazing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

How is it that the seamless coop mod came into existence within a few months of release when, as far as I can remember, such a thing never existed for the first three games?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The original dark souls 1 PC port launched insanely barebones, literally not supporting resolutions above 720p, and a modder had a resolution fix out in a matter of days.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

War Wizard posted:

Hot online play tip: warming stones are incredibly useful for phantom's while roaming large dungeons like Lyndell. The crafting recipe is in central Altus in one of the wormface ruins. Sanctuary stones can be gathered 6 at a time in Lurnia on the ruin chunk near Patches/Rya. Eventually you can just buy them from the twin husks.

Yeah I get some use out of these when helping folks do a full clear of legacy dungeons. Helps a lot after we’ve just dealt with an invader and still need to get to the fog gate. Kinda fun to take a pause and do some dumb emotes.

Don’t even bother trying to drop boluses though. I can count on one hand the number of times a host has picked them up. They just run around steaming with scarlet rot and drink all their health potions.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Owl Inspector posted:

The original dark souls 1 PC port launched insanely barebones, literally not supporting resolutions above 720p, and a modder had a resolution fix out in a matter of days.

Exactly. If it were possible to create a mod that would allow people to play through Dark Souls (or 2 or 3) the way that Elden Ring Seamless Co-op does, it surely would have been created long ago. Therefore I assume it must be impossible. My question is: why is it possible for Elden Ring but not previous games? What makes it so different?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sebmojo posted:

Seamless Coop mod removes all the gamey stuff and let's you just play with friends, it's amazing.

Will it go cross platform?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Boy howdy it's a lot easier to carry people to victory in co-op when your whole build is just designed to poo poo out Ancient Dragon spells and Pest Threads. Just carried 3 straight through Maliketh and I don't think my 2-hand caveman has managed that in total. I'm not saying melee is done dirty in this game but everything is just SO much easier as a caster lol. Just jogged through the whole endgame in an hour, verdict is that full Faith caster is fun as hell and I highly recommend it. You will NEVER be bored or lacking what you need for any job.

edit - last Maliketh guy was one of my favorites ever. Just turtled up in the heaviest armor with a Fingerprint Shield and just stayed alive while myself and the third did the job. Love that in a summoner, someone who knows how to stay alive first and foremost.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CommonShore posted:

Will it go cross platform?

PC only sorry.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Ariong posted:

Exactly. If it were possible to create a mod that would allow people to play through Dark Souls (or 2 or 3) the way that Elden Ring Seamless Co-op does, it surely would have been created long ago. Therefore I assume it must be impossible. My question is: why is it possible for Elden Ring but not previous games? What makes it so different?

Not a whole lot of need for it. DS1-3 is self-contained levels and if you want you can just grab your buddy at the start of an area and play together until you beat the boss. Then someone just drops their sign at the start of the next area.

With Elden Ring, though, you have this huge open area but lots of arbitrary restrictions, like you can't just roll up into a cave with your friend - you have to disconnect, walk over the cave threshold, and summon them again. Certain areas of the open world are like this, too. Beating a boss will end the session like in previous games but sometimes bosses are just hanging out in the middle of somewhere and all of a sudden your session is interrupted. You can't rest at a grace to level up and resupply without disconnecting. Also you can't use Torrent for some reason so you and your friend have to cross these huge distances on foot. Lots of new fiddly stuff that impacts QoL but was never an issue before. The mod fixes all of that.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I expect From would do it differently if they ever make another open world game. Their experiments always seem to gently caress up somehow on the first try.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

SkeletonHero posted:

Not a whole lot of need for it. DS1-3 is self-contained levels and if you want you can just grab your buddy at the start of an area and play together until you beat the boss. Then someone just drops their sign at the start of the next area.

With Elden Ring, though, you have this huge open area but lots of arbitrary restrictions, like you can't just roll up into a cave with your friend - you have to disconnect, walk over the cave threshold, and summon them again. Certain areas of the open world are like this, too. Beating a boss will end the session like in previous games but sometimes bosses are just hanging out in the middle of somewhere and all of a sudden your session is interrupted. You can't rest at a grace to level up and resupply without disconnecting. Also you can't use Torrent for some reason so you and your friend have to cross these huge distances on foot. Lots of new fiddly stuff that impacts QoL but was never an issue before. The mod fixes all of that.

Oh yeah, that makes sense.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Elden Ring is so easy with coop outside of the bosses (and most of the bosses are too easy coop too) that it blows my mind that it would be fun to anyone to coop the whole game, but I don't play these games to play with friends.

It's an entirely different game!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Playing with friends is really an afterthought, souls-style multiplayer was always supposed to be based on ephemeral yet meaningful stranger-to-stranger connections

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

satanic splash-back posted:

Elden Ring is so easy with coop outside of the bosses that it blows my mind that it would be fun to anyone to coop the whole game, but I don't play these games to play with friends.

It's an entirely different game!

you really cant understand why ppl would want to play a fun game with their friends?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

you really cant understand why ppl would want to play a fun game with their friends?

I wouldn't play this game like that, I'd play a game actually designed from the ground-up as a multiplayer coop game instead of a "meet a stranger for a few minutes" type of thing.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

I wouldn't play this game like that, I'd play a game actually designed from the ground-up as a multiplayer game.

this game wasnt designed with multiplayer in mind?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

this game wasnt designed with multiplayer in mind?

I don't think you're interested in actual conversation but no, it's not designed for constant multiplayer, or you wouldn't get kicked out after finishing a boss with another player, among many other design decisions already mentioned by other posters.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

ephemeral yet meaningful stranger-to-stranger connections

It's this. Myazaki has been quoted with a pretty neat story about exactly that being his inspiration for the Souls games.

I only have those moments in legacy dungeons or smaller ones like Castle Morne though. I think the open world format messes up that style of gameplay. Also why more people want true co-op, because it's presented similar to open world co-op games even if it isn't and doesn't work that well.

I do like chilling with friends but preferably in a game that's balanced around it.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 27, 2023

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

I don't think you're interested in actual conversation but no, it's not designed for constant multiplayer, or you wouldn't get kicked out after finishing a boss with another player, among many other design decisions already mentioned by other posters.

As mentioned, the game is certainly designed around a more ephemeral type of multiplayer where strangers can meet up quickly and organically dissolve after a boss is beaten, but it also has mechanisms in place for ppl to coop consistently with their friends. There is the friend password system and the game will even dynamically level down a person's stats to match that of their lesser level friend. From has put thought and effort into allowing ppl trying to play the game with their friends

I just found your type of attitude interesting because Im doing a playthrough right now with my friend and we're having a lot of fun. It hasnt been too difficult to figure out how to get around the coop limitations and this is my friend's first From Software game. The game is easy for me, and im guessing you too, but he's still having a challenging time and finding the experience rewarding. As this thread and any other From Games thread can attest to, its also quite fun to guide someone new to the series through the game. Im glad From has these systems in place that allow us to play together regularly, though I do wish the experience was smoother and more accommodating at times

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
They have put very minimal thought into the coop with friends mechanic, and it doesn’t work too well (e.g. downscaling doesn’t really work; all the things that seamless coop does that the base game doesn’t). It’s definitely an afterthought.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The whole multiplayer element of these games definitely isn't an afterthought, but it is a fundamental part of it all in a very unique way. Like the comments about it meaning to be ephemeral aren't guess work - Solaire says exactly that as your first introduction to the system in the first Souls game, and it's that system that has broadly been carried from game to game.

There's a lot that doesn't match up well to Elden Ring, which is like Souls but also its own thing. They've been slow to address it but they are - as someone who adores co-op most of all in these games, the Near/Far option changed the whole game, and shows they aren't averse to making changes even if they're deeply reluctant to adjust their vision. My wave a wand wish would be tweaking the downscaling to be a little more aggressive somehow but using that to allow people to queue for everything knowing it will nuke their stats for that session. I really miss getting summons all over instead of just end game stuff.

Hell even if they made it so if you haven't had an at-level match for a minute it starts downscaling a bit and searching again. It's also something that will keep the co-op relevant for years and years as the player base shrinks.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
in interviews Miyazaki has expressed interest in going full Tarkov so prepare yourself for that

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Do you find elden ring hard? It's easier in seamless co op but they also beef up the bosses a fair bit so some are still plenty tricky, we took several runs against the volcano manor godskin and couldn't get him down even with sleep (we are both very bad though). I have found it really well done, and I like how the co op tools are still thematic.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Do you find elden ring hard? It's easier in seamless co op but they also beef up the bosses a fair bit so some are still plenty tricky, we took several runs against the volcano manor godskin and couldn't get him down even with sleep (we are both very bad though). I have found it really well done, and I like how the co op tools are still thematic.

The buff to bosses is no joke. While I'm happy to help folks, if they summon me for a dragon or tree spirit, they effectively made the fight harder for no reason.

I've gotten pretty good at dealing with both but they do AOE attacks and frequently move around/re-target so there's no way I can hold aggro and keep the host from getting one-shot.

E: if you've played DS 1, the volcano manor godskin fight works the same way as Smough and Ornstein - the pillars are your friends.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 27, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
imo the key to understanding the entire Souls + adjacent games branch of Fromsoft's output is that the games are actually not designed for the level of gitgud mastery that people sometimes put into them (with the arguable exception of Sekiro)

they're meant to be a struggle, and they're full of systems that give you a leg up so you can just barely make it past each hurdle, of which co-op is the most important

that they also function really well as solo and as PvP experiences is a testament to the absolute loving genius of the people who work on them, especially the level designers

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Saying "actually these games aren't designed for co-op" is like demanding that people kill bosses without using bell spirits. :v: If it's in the game it's not an afterthought and From put some serious weight into it. The distinction between base game and the mod is that maybe From doesn't always have the best UI and QoL design.

Which are all things that've been in place since Demons Souls, both spirits and co-op and From not batting 1000 on QoL, so.. yeah! :haw:

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
This game definitely is a multiplayer one. My only gripe with seamless modders is that I want to invade youuuuuu! C'mon, come back! You'll win 3 vs 1, easy pie. C'moooon!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Doomykins posted:

Saying "actually these games aren't designed for co-op" is like demanding that people kill bosses without using bell spirits. :v: If it's in the game it's not an afterthought and From put some serious weight into it. The distinction between base game and the mod is that maybe From doesn't always have the best UI and QoL design.

Which are all things that've been in place since Demons Souls, both spirits and co-op and From not batting 1000 on QoL, so.. yeah! :haw:

There's different types of co-op though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Doomykins posted:

I feel like things diverged somewhere - is this still all in the response to someone saying the "with friends" co-op additions in the core game feel like an afterthought? Because I feel like that was pretty accurate, even if the multiplayer in general is not.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
As somebody who has had to toggle back and forth between entering the group password, reentering the group password, setting my summon sign, asking my friend to make sure they've entered into co-op with the item, triple checking that we didn't lock each other out somehow and being madly frustrated by all this nonsense... I still stand by it.

It's not an afterthought like "ah well From just threw in a bunch of code they had lying around", features have to be tested and all. They just have a very irritating or outdated vision of how they want to do things and considering the absurd nonsense I've put up with as a lifelong Nintendo fan it's just honestly what some dev houses do, especially eastern ones.

I think more accurately I'd agree that From didn't imagine that you'd want to start a new character, tag the first summon sign and play the entire game start to finish with a friend. The "call your pal in for antics/help on a boss" design was the core system they shot for and delivered as per usual. I'd agree that in ER2 maybe they'll realize this is outdated for this type of game.

Shooting star wish is they'd just hire the seamless co-op guys on as temps and get their stuff in the game in a big update patch that they could even apply to consoles.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

nah, having to repeat everything for each player can be a drag, there's a lot of interstitial parts that don't allow multiplayer and force you to split up and re-summon frequently, and invasion priority means a coop run of DS3 is really 50% pvp. a seamless coop mod would be a godsend for any of the souls games.

I wish fromsoft would take coop as seriously as team ninja. Nioh/2, wo long and stranger of paradise have much better netcode and are 95% playable in coop with full loot and mission progress for both players. and the only one of those games with player invasions just lets you disable them if you don't want them. I feel like the quality of the coop in their games is really undersold and it makes fromsoft's multiplayer feel antiquated by comparison.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Nah it's not hard, but punishing, sometimes absurdly punishing, if you make mistakes or misread openings. It's also a game where you can out level most of the issues if you're really having trouble so it's hard to cal it "hard" in many ways.

Dying a few times on a boss doesn't make a game hard though. This games bosses are very build dependent when it comes to difficulty, and the duo fights always feel a little random at best imo.

Edit: true multiplayer in an ER2 would be ace but it would need many more enemies or way better AI or something to counteract how easy it would be. Or just let it be the games "easy mode"?

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
Elden Ring co-op is insanely fun but it's the invasions that make it work. The 2 on 1 fights are balanced perfectly for a mid level pair to stand a chance against a very good invader and I love it