Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I think the previews didn’t spoil anything that I wouldn’t have expected already, and both of the ones I browsed mainly boiled down to “you can come up with lots of solutions to end up at a certain result” which, duh. But it certainly isn’t gonna hurt anything to tag stuff from these previews so whatever.

I did find it a little concerning that both of the previews I read mentioned the controls being a bit difficult to wrangle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How many cutscenes did they see

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

WarpDogs posted:

hard to believe Nintendo actually played these redux Blight fights on Master Mode. They're challenging in the way bosses should be, but severely limiting resources while giving them the ability for infinite health makes impossible runs too common. and that's really annoying!

even that wouldn't be a huge hurdle if not for each one triggering health regen during invulnerability periods like when they teleport. Windblight ended up being the most aggravating because he'd frequently ragdoll off of the divine beast and then teleport early, and often his first teleport would be a "false" one and he'd move yet again, meaning your progress was guaranteed to be erased. I was never in any risk of dying, my bows couldn't keep up

As with the previous two, abusing elixirs was the winning move, even if it's total cheese. But whatever, for the Fireblight I'm rolling in 3x attack and temp hearts from the very start and just murking him. Time to mop this up, there's TotK on the horizon!!

I've never done these fights on Master Mode, but how does Waterblight work? It only gives you ten arrows, which is not enough, and arrows appear to be the only way to damage him in phase two. On normal mode the way I ended up beating it is just leaving the arena for the empty Divine Beast, waiting for Urbosa's Fury to recharge, then strolling back in. On Master Mode I would assume it's just literally impossible.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its not a spoiler in that sense, spoiler is the wrong word, but it is new information about how the game will play that wasn't available before today and I can see this as a game where going in as blind as possible might be more fun

like if you like doom and a new one comes out you don't need a preview of every weapon its fun to find them and see what they do without expectation

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I've never done these fights on Master Mode, but how does Waterblight work? It only gives you ten arrows, which is not enough, and arrows appear to be the only way to damage him in phase two. On normal mode the way I ended up beating it is just leaving the arena for the empty Divine Beast, waiting for Urbosa's Fury to recharge, then strolling back in. On Master Mode I would assume it's just literally impossible.

If you head shot (Eye shot?) him 3 times quickly he falls to the ground.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Stasis the ice cubes and knock them back into his face.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tokelau All Star posted:

You can also blow them up with Cryonis

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The most important thing about all this gameplay that nobody has mentioned? A ton of new music, that has the same vibe as BOTW, but is new and different. Hell yes. My new writing soundtrack!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Zore posted:

You can also blow them up with Cryonis

that doesn't do damage

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm gonna watch the IGN preview but I've already seen a couple of news articles pop up in my news feed that can be summarized as "holy gently caress Nintendo just re-invented video games"

I need to watch these previews just to have even an idea of what to do because this game will be mined for content and crazy viral clips in such a way it makes BOTW look like a flash in the pan.

edit: holy poo poo, you start with the travel medallion, and you can save your assembled vehicles and just quick summon them when you have the necessary gear

and there's a solution to weapon durability......

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 26, 2023

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021

LionArcher posted:

The most important thing about all this gameplay that nobody has mentioned? A ton of new music, that has the same vibe as BOTW, but is new and different. Hell yes. My new writing soundtrack!

I've almost exclusively heard new music in the trailers and previews and it has all kicked rear end!

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Antonymous posted:

I'd say its a big spoiler because until now we didn't really know the vibe of the gameplay loop, like how often we'd use ultrahand or where parts would be. I thought they would be rarer and we'd have to find them and kinda plan around them, not that there would be seemingly so plentiful and disposable that there'd be an inventory screen for them. We also saw that there's about 6 'powers' total whereas before I thought maybe recall was just one of many spells. I also thought we could swim underwater.

God, scarcity of materials would be the new “weapon degradation” debate for this game :newlol:

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Tokelau All Star posted:

Ahhh. That would do it. Thank you.

Supremezero posted:

If you head shot (Eye shot?) him 3 times quickly he falls to the ground.

You only get ten arrows, that's the whole issue.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Manoueverable posted:

Unfortunately that tweet spelled out what it was in no uncertain terms and I really would have liked to not know that especially when it was stapled to a tweet about framerate.

it was literally in uncertain terms lol they didn't even get to go inside

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MASSIVE GAME-RUINING SPOILER ALERT: hey did you guys see that giant floating cube in the trailers? wonder what's the deal with that

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Augus posted:

MASSIVE GAME-RUINING SPOILER ALERT: hey did you guys see that giant floating cube in the trailers? wonder what's the deal with that

this but in the sky.

https://www.zeldadungeon.net/wiki/Lomei_Labyrinth_Island

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

you basically have *just* enough resources to do it even if you abuse elixirs. I really have no idea how you do it otherwise, though my guess it'd be a really boring method of "use only bombs for phase 1 and for launching back the ice"

Someone already mentioned the ice block stasis trick which is the right move, but that also eats your spear durability. The other trick is to use Revali's Gale. You'll nearly clip through the ceiling and the camera gets all crazy, but it allows you to do easier slow-mode arrow shots to make full use of your 10 arrows and ensure you land nearby when it falls. This method gave my wife severe motion sickness just watching me lol

The main trick to prevent regen is to use bombs to at least 'tag' them between attacks, but with Waterblight this is extremely hard and often a net negative in the 2nd phase. You'll notice it takes 3 eye shots to down the blight but they (cruelly) gave you 10, which is not a multiple of 3 and means you have 1 leftover arrow you can use to tag them. That ended up being a load-bearing arrow for me because it allowed me overcome a big pretty mistake in my successful run

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ahhh. That would do it. Thank you.

You only get ten arrows, that's the whole issue.

That still leaves you 3 opportunities to stab him in the face with your spear. Which is plenty. Observe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ikvt0h68mAY

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
master mode was great in theory - more enemies, stronger enemies, AI that can't be cheesed, and bosses more willing to launch their stronger attacks at you

but then let down extremely hard in execution - HP regen kicks in way too fast, and the inflated health bars mean you can go into a fight with multiple fresh weapons and break all of them because the durability isnt balanced for it

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
yeah the BotW way of combat just isn't meant for HP regen. You're *constantly* fighting with the engine so that it doesn't accidentally gently caress you over, and it's very silly. On the other hand I've enjoyed just ignoring combat with trash enemies, and i'm kind of glad MM pushed me toward that

Instead of regen it should have been enemies can do 4x damage but so can you.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
Not a deal breaker question, but a pretty huge thing I wanna know about, even moreso that dungeons: Have any of the previews revealed if you can fuse materials to weapons to repair them, or even fuse weapons to each other, or is weapon degradation just identical to BotW?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm stoked to hear Hyrule is on the level of Elden Ring here but the difficult control allegations kinda worry me. I hope it doesn't grind the momentum to a halt while crafting things.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fish Appreciator posted:

Not a deal breaker question, but a pretty huge thing I wanna know about, even moreso that dungeons: Have any of the previews revealed if you can fuse materials to weapons to repair them, or even fuse weapons to each other, or is weapon degradation just identical to BotW?

fusing a material to a weapon boosts its durability.
it's unclear from what I've seen if you can defuse then refuse weapons to refresh their durability repeatedly

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Can I fuse a horse onto another horse to make a giga horse?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Fish Appreciator posted:

As far as it seems, if you fuse something to a weapon it resets the durability, but you can't keep fusing over and over, just 2 base items together

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Spanish Manlove posted:

Can I fuse a horse onto another horse to make a giga horse?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Antonymous posted:

I'd say its a big spoiler because until now we didn't really know the vibe of the gameplay loop, like how often we'd use ultrahand or where parts would be. I thought they would be rarer and we'd have to find them and kinda plan around them, not that there would be seemingly so plentiful and disposable that there'd be an inventory screen for them. We also saw that there's about 6 'powers' total whereas before I thought maybe recall was just one of many spells. I also thought we could swim underwater.

for a poster that famously over-analyzes stuff, thats surprising. pretty sure your sharp eye could figure most of this stuff out with a 2 minute launch trailer

i wouldnt worry about it tho, there seems to be a lot that Nintendo is still keeping under wraps. Just avoid the thread for the next month or so and that should give you plenty of time to sort out most of the gameplay spoilers

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

please oh god I hope there's no side quest involving trying to get out of paying for building a wall

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Shneak posted:

I'm stoked to hear Hyrule is on the level of Elden Ring here but the difficult control allegations kinda worry me. I hope it doesn't grind the momentum to a halt while crafting things.

i mean, BOTW had one of the most dense control schemes of any game i played. from what ive seen of the new gameplay stuff, pretty sure if a player is comfortable with BOTW, theyd be fine with TOTK. for new players tho, it will def be a hurdle

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I think Zelda games are pretty good, and this new one looks like it'll be good, too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i mean, BOTW had one of the most dense control schemes of any game i played. from what ive seen of the new gameplay stuff, pretty sure if a player is comfortable with BOTW, theyd be fine with TOTK. for new players tho, it will def be a hurdle

That's about what I'm thinking. I'm not too worried about it, I was more leery when I thought they might be keeping the old powers and adding a whole set of new stuff on top of them.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I just want to say I appreciate the use of spoiler tags today and would like everyone to keep it up.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Okay, but like, I didn't know anything about these self-professed big spoilers until you posted them without tags, so would you mind maybe going back and editing in some in for other folk?

Zore posted:

how is the basic gameplay loop possibly a spoiler?
It kinda' doesn't matter that you don't consider something a spoiler because you're not everybody else, and everybody has different lines for what spoilers are, so you don't just demand that your line should be everybody else's.

Somebody went through all the trouble of coding in a whole function you can use to discuss this stuff and all people have to do is mouse over it, so maybe take the extra five seconds to use it and if anybody reads them, it's their own damned fault.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Augus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnuRpHkg0H8

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
did the flamethrower arm get dropped or something

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

spoiler alert: this game is going to be good

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Junpei posted:

did the flamethrower arm get dropped or something

Dunno if a flamethrower arm was ever a thing but fusing a flamethrower dragon head (shown in the previews) to your shield will make it spit fire when you've got your shield up.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
This is some good looking DLC :smug:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FooF posted:

This is some good looking DLC :smug:

can confirm, the game is made of content and I will be downloading a digital copy of it onto my nintendo switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Okay, but like, I didn't know anything about these self-professed big spoilers until you posted them without tags, so would you mind maybe going back and editing in some in for other folk?

others already quoted me. the damage is done.

anyway I was just saying there is new info today even if its not new powers or story or anything. the gameplay was substantially better demonstrated.