Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So is there a reason you decided to basically share a racist quote you found somewhere on the internet?

Make him write an essay!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for "hinting" its my moms fault my brother turned out like this?

quote:

I love my mom. We grew really close after I became more extroverted and its a really nice feeling after a lot of indifference over the entirety of my teen years. This is the only thing that ruffled feathers and any attempt to discredit our relationship will be ignored because shes a great woman.

My mom was a great parent, but the one glaring flaw she allowed to happen was let my brother harass me throughout childhood. She would take my complaints and spin the blame on me for "not being able to ignore him" so that my anger and misery were my fault, and as a result, for years I just assumed nothing would be done when I was harassed and ridiculed, meaning he got a lot of free reign to make my life awful that he relished in, giving him a massive ego and superiority complex to this day.

Before I moved out, I let him know that he was gonna have to do more work around the house with me gone, because I wasnt going to be there to pick up the slack he created for our mother in the form of dishes and messes in the living room, with him vanishing for days to avoid any conversations about it via our parents.

He went nuclear.

He bemoaned that I had no social skills and was immensely ignorant to reality with my concerns, and that I had no idea how anything really was. Since I had just graduated from public relations at the top of my class, It was the fracture that made me never want to speak to him again. I only see him at christmas and we keep our distance to the benefit of us both.

A year later it became a regular thing for my mother and I to talk on the phone once a week, and my brother being a terror to her always came up. He shoplifted, fought her on paying rent when he had graduated college and was employed, made messes and ate her food she made for her work lunches, invited friends over without her permission and complained that her paying for his education wasnt enough and that its a parents responsibility to ensure a child succeeds as a counter to asking for 250$ in rent while making 45,000 a year.

At one point in conversation, as she goes off again, I breathe that I'm not suprised this is how he is. When she asked what I meant I referenced him getting away with a lot while adjacent to me, and she acted totally suprised. I explained that I was an outlet for him for years and now that I wasnt there it was flowing into others. His complex was allowed to flourish and she was a big part in letting it grow.

She was pretty ticked off. She said I could have ignored him and it would have solved everything, but it was an excuse I'd heard so many times it fell on deaf ears. I held my ground on it and when she realised this, changed the subject.

She didnt talk about him after that. Hes since moved out and she has hinted I forgive him and be the bigger person, but every time, I refuse because my life is better not giving him any of it. I can tell this stuck with her and she thinks it was bitter of me to go after her parenting like thaf, but its what I believe.

So, AITA here?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Do you mind doing me a favor and forgiving your brother for being an rear end in a top hat because I raised him to be one so I can feel better?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for standing up to my girlfriend's conservative family's offensive comments?

you're right sweetie, i should just agree that i'm subhuman trash in order to keep the peace with your rear end in a top hat relatives. our future together is looking amazing

Why is it never the crazy uncle who is causing the drama?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Always sad to see someone still putting up with abuse while defending their abuser. "My mom's a wonderful person, she just let my brother torment me for my entire life without repercussion, and now blames me for his behavior! I'll hear no ill words against this person I've described as an uncaring monster."

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Xenocides posted:

Why is it never the crazy uncle who is causing the drama?

because it's far easier to confront and pressure a reasonable person than an unreasonable one, and far easier to shift the blame than to admit that you share in it

e: this particular family's doing it because every one of them is a fuckin racist, tho. even the gf

Foo Diddley fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 26, 2023

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for standing up to my girlfriend's conservative family's offensive comments?

you're right sweetie, i should just agree that i'm subhuman trash in order to keep the peace with your rear end in a top hat relatives. our future together is looking amazing

Always makes me wonder in these situations: are people dating minorities their families hate as some sort of power move? OP already knows their family is full of bigots & racists, so what's the point of putting herself or boyfriend through that bullshit?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for not wanting my fiance to make a birthday cake for his sister because it's my birthday too?

quote:

My (36) fiance (39 - I'll call him Dave for this post) can make really good, detailed cakes. It's not a business but something he enjoys doing.

We've been together for 3 years. Dave's sister died close to 10 years ago, before we met - coincidentally, me and his sister have the same birthday. Every year, Dave makes an extravagant cake and sings happy birthday to his sister.

I want to make it clear I don't have a problem with this if it was on any other day - the day before, the day after, whenever. But my family always made a big deal of birthdays and he knows I enjoy celebrating and having my day (I know some people think you can be "too old" for birthdays, and that's their opinion, but not mine).

So my birthday's next week. I asked Dave if we could do his sister's celebration on a different day. He said no, he's going to make the cake and do the routine he does every year.

I said I get that, but this is my birthday and I'm actually here right now, and how many more years he's going to continue doing this. He got mad at me and replied that I'm being disrespectful. At that point, I got a bit upset and told him he's not being fair to me.

Me and Dave agree on and get along well usually and this just feels like a a bit of a stupid thing to get upset about, but now it's blown up. So, AITA?

top comment posted:

Info: what does he do to celebrate you?

Edit: read your replies. YTA a giant AH. He still celebrates you. JFC you are cruel.

OP posted:

The cake is made in advance, so he sings his sister happy birthday on the day and we have a couple of slices. We obviously can't eat all of it because my birthday cake is the main one. He always boxes it up and gives it to friends/neighbors the next day, or gives it to his mom (he said this is what he did before we met too)

OP posted:

He makes both cakes (my cake and the one for his sister) in advance, not on the day

Now wouldn't that little tidbit of information about him making her a cake too be relevant to the post?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Always makes me wonder in these situations: are people dating minorities their families hate as some sort of power move? OP already knows their family is full of bigots & racists, so what's the point of putting herself or boyfriend through that bullshit?

the girlfriend grew up with that poo poo and probably thinks, oh it's not that bad. it's just the same old stuff her relatives have been saying all her life; it doesn't mean anything to her, and therefore it shouldn't mean anything to anyone, right?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for "hinting" its my moms fault my brother turned out like this?
Really surprised that this didn't end with a slam-dunk "well just ignore him, that will solve everything."

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

precision posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Mx. posted:

yeah that's a loving stupid red text. whoever bought that is a dumb piece of poo poo.

It's cool I have this rad new Donald Duck avatar and an inscrutable text that pleases me, and that person can rest in the knowledge their money was absolutely wasted lol

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It's cool I have this rad new Donald Duck avatar and an inscrutable text that pleases me, and that person can rest in the knowledge their money was absolutely wasted lol

Oh that's cute I like that

yikeseroo
Apr 17, 2023

by Hand Knit

Honestly really grossed out my red text has a slur in it. What the gently caress, thread. You may think I'm obnoxious but seriously, what the gently caress. No, I'm not going to leave the thread, you gross loving bullies.

Seth Edit: This poster had a huge rear end meltdown holy poo poo

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 27, 2023

yikeseroo
Apr 17, 2023

by Hand Knit
Seth Edit: removed transphobia

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 27, 2023

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

?

gross. Are people losing their minds lately?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Well then. Those were certainly some posts.

yikeseroo
Apr 17, 2023

by Hand Knit
Seth Edit: transphobia

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 27, 2023

yikeseroo
Apr 17, 2023

by Hand Knit
Seth Edit: what a gif!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 27, 2023

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Pathetic, 4chan shock posting. Sad!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

lol, they prolly expected us to be all upset, pull the blue hair out of our scalps and cry tears of soy. Just sad.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
spending ten bux to show all the degenerates on the something awful forums just what a superior specimen of humanity you are

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Always appreciate an accurate username

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Any fellow trans folk reading this I hope you have a great day

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do always want to sit this sort of person down and ask

What do you think that accomplished?

I know i will get an empty answer, but still

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Foo Diddley posted:

spending ten bux to show all the degenerates on the something awful forums just what a superior specimen of humanity you are

It's like performing magic for cats.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Should my brother [17M] and I [17F] invite my brother's [32M] crush [30?M] to Chinese New Year dinner?

quote:

We come from a conservative East Asian family. My brother came out years ago but my parents reacted so badly he basically went back into the closet. This was all before I was born.

4 years ago, my parents moved back to our home country as their business was doing better there and left my brother and I with my older brother and we've been doing great. I only ser my parents twice a year.

He's also started to "come out" again and my parents don't do anything because they are too far away and also they don't want to ruin our education or income by having my brother refuse to take care of us so they pretend not to know.

My brother and I are supportive though.

The thing is, there's a little Asian cafe that opened up at the start of last year and it's got all kinds of handmade Asian sweets and pastries both traditional and fusion. It's run by a brother and sister and the brother is the baker/barista and he's gay.

My brother has a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge crush on him. I know because we got to the cafe every Saturday morning for family breakfast and they always make heart eyes at each other and smile a lot.

The sister also always makes her brother serve mine when he comes in every day and is always talking up her brother to mine. We all go to the cafe every day, my older brother every day before work and us after school and I think they really like us because they give us extra snacks and stuff.

My brother and I also talk up our older brother to her brother but none of them have made a move.

His sister has also told us that her brother has a crush on ours.

Chinese New Year is coming around soon and I'm wondering if my brother and I should invite them around since their family is also overseas? My oldest brother normally makes a traditional dinner. The sister has said that they don't have any plans for Chinese New Year.

And my brother's crush has offered to give me the recipe to make Chinese New Year desserts, can I or my brother invite him over to our house for "help" when my oldest brother will be around? He's offered teach me to make them anyway.

Or should I leave it?

TLDR: Should I invite my brother's crush to our Chinese New Year dinner?

UPDATE

quote:

My twin brother and I talked to my oldest brother yesterday about inviting the brother and sister over for Chinese New Year because they didn't have any family.

He just laughed at us and said yes, it was fine and said he knew exactly what we were up to with the baker/brother but in like a really smirky kind of way.

I think they've already been talking or maybe even dating but he refused to say any more than that and kept telling us to get ready for school and that "good things take time" and acting all "wise" and "older brotherly" and just annoying.

So I told him he'd better get married by the end of the year so I could get more red pockets next Chinese New Year and he just laughed at me.

When I went to the cafe after school today his crush told me that my brother had invited them over for Chinese New Year so I was "oh really?" and he kind of laughed at me too and told me I was a good sibling.

So they are clearly together or together adjacent or something. Maybe they want to announce it on Chinese New Year.

But when my brother asked me what I wanted to eat on Chinese New Year I gave him a list of wedding foods and he asked me if I was getting married. But he's just been laughing at me and my brother the whole time.

So we've just been annoying each other back and forth until he bought us ice cream to shut us up but he did give us hugs out of the blue today so I think I'll just leave it at that and they can take their own time with whatever it is they have going on.

But I do kind of want to tease him about it because I have little sister privileges and I can only abuse them for another year.

tl;dr: Update, looks like there's already something going on and they are coming for Chinese New Year but my brother is being coy.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

yikeseroo posted:

Seth Edit: transphobia

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Calling for anybody to kill themselves should be a permaban imo.

Edit: huh, the text and the Lepers Colony say its a permaban, but the custom title says 30 days. :iiam: Oh, well, looks like I got what I wanted. :shrug:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 27, 2023

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
yeah maybe we should not quote the guy, reading it once was more than enough for me

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

deoju posted:

Edit: huh, the text and the Lepers Colony say its a permaban, but the custom title says 30 days. :iiam: Oh, well, looks like I got what I wanted. :shrug:

As the previous poster stated, you really should edit out that quote. There’s enough evil in the world and no one should be subjected to having to read that

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

deoju posted:

they were banned, permabanned, and 30 day probed lol. monster kill

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Sex Farm posted:

Make him write an essay!!!

about butthole tastes!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I want everybody reading this to imagine themselves getting a hug from some random bald dude they've never met.

If they enjoy hugs.

If they don't enjoy hugs maybe just like a high five or something idk.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Consummate Professional posted:

Pathetic, 4chan shock posting. Sad!

It’s that kiwifarms guy who got banned a week or so ago.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Alchenar posted:

Case study: everyone should watch this for a laugh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WBZg5XFiLA

drat that was brutal

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah that one's much better!

And- and then all that poo poo happened, wtf. Fuckin brainworms out today.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Can someone please remove the text of those posts? No one needs to see that poo poo

Edit: thank you, Seth!

run on sentience fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 27, 2023

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Midnight Voyager posted:

Yeah that one's much better!

And- and then all that poo poo happened, wtf. Fuckin brainworms out today.

extremely normal dudes like that have been melting down everyfuckinwhere lately. makes me wonder what happened; it can't just be tucker getting fired

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Wow, uh, I'm really sorry all of that happened, I definitely didn't mean to be such a lightning rod to draw bigots to the thread. Yikesaroo, indeed.

Anyway content. This post about anxious handwringing over a failed 5month teen relationship had a single response, which cracked me up. Paragraph breaks added for legibility.

How can I (M19) Rekindle a Connection With my Long Distance Ex (F18)?

quote:

My ex and I broke up around two months ago. This was my first relationship and it was her second. It was a long distance relationship from beginning to end. We were in a relationship for 5 months.

We broke up during tough times and for many reasons:

1) I didn't want her to be alone around her guy friend of 2 years who had provocative pictures of her
2) I didn't like the fact she couldn't tell a guy who flirted with her that she is in a relationship
3) I was afraid of her past (she had an extremely perverted ex that would sexually touch her without proper consent)
4) Her best friend of 7 years didn't like me whatsoever
She was having trouble with her best friend (they stopped being friends after our breakup)
5) Her guy friend (the same one who had provocative pictures of her) was leaving for the Navy at the end of the month

She wanted to still talk shortly after the breakup and we did. I usually began the conversation by asking her calmly if she wanted to have small talk or talk about the breakup whenever we talked. I never chose to speak about our relationship or my feelings after the breakup until she started to talk about it. She cried the first time we talk about the breakup. She considered taking me back the following days after the breakup.

The week after that, I went to visit her city and she told me she didn't want me back while kissing me, hugging me, laying her head on my lap, and holding my hand. I see her again during the trip and she texts me saying thanks for taking her around and buying dinner. She rejects every single hangout I offer after that. I went no contact for a couple days after the trip until she reached out asking me what I've been up to. She was jealous that I spoke to a mutual friend that reached out as well during my no contact. I go back to her city for an event and there is a concert that she and her sister wanted to go to.

The concert is extremely limited but I am one of the first who can be let in. I noticed she was at the very back of the concert line so I offer her and her sister to cut in with me since they were kicking people out from the back of the line. She rejects the offer and says it's getting late, which was understandable since the concert was delayed by an hour at the time. She texts me later that night asking about hanging out and how the concert was.

We hang out the day after but she was quiet, walked away from me as we strolled through the booths at the event, and constantly held her hands together. She was also easily irritated that day. I asked her if she was seeing anyone new or been doing new things since it's been nearly a month since we broke up at the time. She got mad and kept asking me why I'm asking. I asked that around the beginning of the hangout. At the end of our hangout, I asked her if she still has feelings for me and she said she didn't want to talk about it. I asked her because I wasn't going to be visiting her city again, as I am moving there soon. I text her an apology later and called myself selfish and that it was on impulse. I send her another text explaining that I still have feelings for her and that I'm waiting for her to come back. She replies telling me that waiting is pointless and that she is sticking with her decision of not taking me back and I should think about my feelings for her again.

Now, it's been three weeks since that text and I never responded to it. I went no contact with her and just recently broke it now asking her if she would like to play something together sometime. She left it on read or ignored it. That was when I noticed she unblocked the account of the guy who flirted with her while we were together and that she has been increasingly active on her account that she dedicates to messaging people. I fear she is talking to him now and has forgotten about me. But, I also notice she still listens to breakup songs that are relatable to our situation. I hate the fact that I'm looking at this stuff honestly, but I want to know if I still have a chance with connecting with her not, especially since I'll be moving to her city and attending the same school soon.

TL;DR Long distance relationship, mixed signals after breakup, recently broke 20 days of no contact and got no response, fears she is talking to guy that flirted with her while we're dating, I'm moving to the same city and attending the same school as her, how can I rekindle a connection with her?

The single response:

some redditor posted:

You don't

Read that list of reasons

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hey, I'm currently in a non-contact period. What'd I miss?