Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gripweed posted:

I was looking for a TMNT thread but there isn’t one so I’m gonna leave this here.

https://twitter.com/henereyg/status/1646724524849893382?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Get in the Turtle Van, Mikey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
That must have been quite a tonal shift.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

One week you’re battling the Foot Clan, the next you’re battling depression.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Just picked up action comics weekly #600-#630 for $20. Just need to find the other 12 issues now.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's Spring.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm trying to remember the name of a fairly mainstream comic that was about like, the first tier of the afterlife, something about cops and helping people through the land of death or something. It has an acronym title like BPRD, I think. Does that ring any bells with anyone?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Frog Act posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a fairly mainstream comic that was about like, the first tier of the afterlife, something about cops and helping people through the land of death or something. It has an acronym title like BPRD, I think. Does that ring any bells with anyone?

RIPD, made into a movie with Ryan Reynolds. :D

Edit - Not sure if that matches the plot since I never saw it or read it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Medullah posted:

RIPD, made into a movie with Ryan Reynolds. :D

Edit - Not sure if that matches the plot since I never saw it or read it.

Yeah I think that's it, I remember looking at it in a store and thinking it looked like poo poo but I wanted to see if I was right via readcomiconline, thanks friend

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

https://twitter.com/CoolComicArt/status/1477697014401929220

https://twitter.com/CoolComicArt/status/1477735228730839041

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's Spring.

It snowed this morning. :smithcloud:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uthor posted:

Oh poo poo it's Midsummer already?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The pollen count is very much telling my eyes that Spring has sprung, I’d much rather be somewhere with snow personally.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
There's a winter storm warning around here today.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Joe Fisto posted:

There's a winter storm warning around here today.

Must be Mr freeze.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Uthor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBThX4o2_KI

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Been reading a lot of Judge Dredd lately, found out even if the Dredd movie never got a follow up they did do stories in official Judge Dredd books. We even get the Dredd vs Dark Judges storyline that people wanted in the sequel. More crazy, we get a Christmas story where OG Judge Dredd meets Dredd and...Stallone Judge Dredd. They both have doubts about that one, especially when he doesn't wear the helmet. One good bit is at the end when Stallone Judge Dredd ask the other two if they ever had to fight the Judge Department itself due to some issue of which OG Judge Dredd says a few times and Dredd says no.

One cool part of Judge Dredd mythos is for every year passes in our time, so does it pass in the comic. This means Judge Dredd is 73 years old, officially. Thanks to the tech of the future which is utterly ridiculous, he's able to keep his body going and rejuvenated frequently, but it's been pointed out repeatedly that doesn't take care of everything and at some point time will catch up to him. There's a very good chance at some point he is going to die and be succeeded by Rico which is one of the many Dredd clones with more always in the pipeline. It wouldn't even be the first time he got replaced by one who took up the Dredd name. They are, after all, of the same bloodline that created the Judge system in the first place.

Speaking of, one of the cooler aspects of the whole clone deal is that they are seldom exact duplicates. Oh, they might have the look, but each one can turn out very differently. Rico is the one most like Dredd, but there have been others that went criminal like the original Rico or fell to the influence of dark powers, like the Dredd clone that actually replaced him who was originally called Kraken. Another clone, Doleman even rejected becoming a Judge despite being taught to be one. He didn't believe just because he was made to be that he had to be a judge. In the end he got a face change and went out to get an actual normal life, date, the whole nine yards. There exist in one story a Judge that ran away with her partner and had a baby with him, turns out she was a female version of the Dredd bloodline. The original Rico even had a kid that's grown up who lives in the city and pretty much looks out for all the current Dredd clones, Judge Dredd included. Took awhile to get there, with some rough starts and mass destruction. She tries to get them to be more social with get togethers etc. It's rather awkward as Judge Dredd is not exactly a social type nor are the clones. That's one thing that seems universal between them.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 19, 2023

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Dredd is great fun, I've got the first seven case files books but I've always gotten the impression it has gone way downhill since around (ironically) 2000, but that doesn't sound so bad

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bye, Marvel Comics App.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/marvel-comics-app-purchases-moving-to-marvel-unlimited

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

digital comics seem like such a fuckin nightmare. I've got enough storefronts to deal with on top of steam, gently caress all that. for me if I can't get it physically, I'm reading it on readcomiconline, and I can't see that changing though it'd be nice if companies would try. at least Rebellion just gives out DRM free PDFs when you buy digital copies.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I was okay with comixology, especially Image comics that included downloads of PDFs. You'd very often get sales of issues for $0.50-1.00 and it was great getting tons of stuff without filling up my already packed bookcases. Then Amazon bought them and the sales went away then comixology went away

I still grab some things if they are creator owned and give you copies that don't require a proprietary app.

Been using Marvel Unlimited and DC Universe Infinite for a book club. It is kinda nice reading dozens of random issues, but I don't see myself using them for regular reading. I just forget about new issues as they come out.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Frog Act posted:

Dredd is great fun, I've got the first seven case files books but I've always gotten the impression it has gone way downhill since around (ironically) 2000, but that doesn't sound so bad

The Case File books are best, as the Judge Dredd Magazine and 2000AD comics tend to have only a fraction of actual JD stories in them more often than not. Lots of other stories of various stuff, but honestly could give a rat's rear end about most of them. Depends on the issue, the Complete Case Files puts together the whole actual storyline. Some of which are random, some of which are good and some of which has actual storyline build. It's the character development that really intrigues me.

If you read a good many Case File books and some other stuff in great detail you come to see while Dredd is about law and order, he himself has done some shady poo poo. So has the entire Law Department, we're talking lobotomies of people wanting open elections. That and setting up such protest to fail to bust everyone. Goes without saying in the big meg things have a distinct fascist setting. You realize why Dredd believes in this if you look at the fact of when he was born and what he saw. Namely, when an American first populist won the presidency, had people thinking the US was the best ever and accused other nations of leeching off the US. I know that might sound very familiar in the last few years, but this was written a few decades ago now.

In this case, the president decided to hell with everyone and decided to nuke'em. He invited the American people to celebrate and watch the nukes launch! Now he did this believing that the US had a full proof anti nuke shield in place against retaliation. It failed. Horribly. Other than, the East and West coast along with Texas the rest of the nation got nuked to kingdom come. Whoopsie. In the following carnage the remaining non nuked areas eventually joined together creating the megacities and after Texas declared its independence and some more fighting, each megacity became its own thing, government, etc. The United States was officially dead. Democracy in the big megs was as well.

Dredd had seen this first hand, before all that he had been part of the relatively new Judge system to combat the lawlessness that was spreading throughout America. Social inequality, in fighting, riots, protest, crime, everything had been spiralling down hard as the old system began to collapse on itself due to nothing ever getting fixed. Things only ever got worse, with those in power being worse than the last.

It's kinda relative to our times, one of the reason why I dived into it all lately, feels far much closer to reality than when it was all written so long ago.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Frog Act posted:

digital comics seem like such a fuckin nightmare. I've got enough storefronts to deal with on top of steam, gently caress all that. for me if I can't get it physically, I'm reading it on readcomiconline, and I can't see that changing though it'd be nice if companies would try. at least Rebellion just gives out DRM free PDFs when you buy digital copies.

Yeah, the only digital comics I own* are from various humble bundles that I can download DRM free.

*That I paid for, I theoretically have a bunch on Amazon from when they gave away a bunch of Black Panther and later Scooby Doo books for free on comixology, no idea if I can still access them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're fine. Amazon sucks in a lot of ways (both as a company and a storefront), but almost everything is on there and available.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
big sub relevant psa: imgur is going to start deleting old images not tied to registered accounts starting May 15th, so I'm guessing a metric poo poo ton of images posted here will go bye bye

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Yep. It rules. Love our decaying, rent seeking culture.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Yep. It rules. Love our decaying, rent seeking culture.

I recently went through the pictures folder on my computer and I stopped saving things from the internet like 15 years ago (lots of SA Photoshop Friday things!). I should start, again.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
The colors really pop on an iPad, though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

My Action comics weekly issues have arrived. I'm excited to read these after I track down the other 13.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought the new Asterix album and it was a loving picture book. I guess I bought a swine in a sack by not peeking at the pages at the store, so shame on me.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey folks, if anyone has particular back issues or trade paperbacks that are eluding them, I am surrounded by great comic shops and would be happy to check and pick things up for cost plus shipping (and Paypal fees, so I break even).

I don't buy a lot, but I enjoy the thrill of the hunt, browsing the bins, giving business to these shops, and helping fellow collectors. I even have store credit at some of these shops with nothing to spend it on (for myself), so you'd be helping me out too.

I have been dealing in SA-Mart for many years, and I've gotten to know a lot of the BSS regulars over this time, so you know my intentions are good. I also have 100% positive eBay feedback as bigbadvoodoolou, going back all the way to 1999. So if something remains out of reach, I pride myself on finding things that can't be found.

Just a thought.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 26, 2023

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I attempted Homestuck a few times way back in the day. I remember reaching a particularly long animation that marked an important point in the story (it was literally so long ago that this is my recollection of whatever it was).

I've been reading more webcomics lately after not doing so for many, many years outside KSBD. Is it worth it to go through Homestuck from start to finish at this point?

How hard has Order of the Stick fallen off? I remember reading that up to date multiple times over a span of years at least a decade ago.

edit: otherwise, I recently read Vattu and Prince of Sartar and really enjoyed both, any recommendations in that vein would be much appreciated

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Tosk posted:

I attempted Homestuck a few times way back in the day. I remember reaching a particularly long animation that marked an important point in the story (it was literally so long ago that this is my recollection of whatever it was).

I've been reading more webcomics lately after not doing so for many, many years outside KSBD. Is it worth it to go through Homestuck from start to finish at this point?

In all honesty, and I say this as someone who was on the outside: it might be a better use of time to listen to Homestuck Made This World, a podcast that did a very scholarly examination of the fandom, culture, and comic itself and ended earlier this year. The actual discussion had the fresh host going "God, I can't believe you talked me into this" repeatedly by the end because of what the content has become. The gist I got was "god, no, don't".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tosk posted:

How hard has Order of the Stick fallen off? I remember reading that up to date multiple times over a span of years at least a decade ago.

edit: otherwise, I recently read Vattu and Prince of Sartar and really enjoyed both, any recommendations in that vein would be much appreciated

Out of Placers is fantastic and one of my favorite active webcomics

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tosk posted:

Order of the Stick is still really good but still very meandering and probably has awhile to go.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If you liked Vattu, 3rd Voice recently started.

http://www.rice-boy.com/3rdvoice/

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The Amazing Charles Christopher resumed updates recently, and Kerschl estimates it has around 50 strips left to go.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1652094217580322816?s=20

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

The notion of Busiek localizing FFIV instead of Ted Woolsey boggles the mind.

Although like he says, better off we got Marvels.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

:eyepop:
What a thread. Lmao at square just telling him to do whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/CoolComicArt/status/1652395726423617536?s=20