Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

skooma512 posted:

Doesn't ground handling suck with basically everything in the sim?

It’s really bad, almost like they switch to an entirely different physics system the moment your wheels touch the ground. It’s hilarious how difficult planes can be to control during take off or roll out, even with mild winds it’s super easy to lose control and veer off the runway. Or how your wheels can be at an almost 90 degree angle at slow speed and you’re still moving in an almost straight line when taxiing. It all just feels “off”.

I think some planes try to create better ground handling by faking it but that creates its own problems I think. I find the FBW A320 really hard to taxi, for example. Super easy to overshoot turns and the braking is wildly unpredictable, with an oddly long delay between pushing the brake and it actually braking, but at least it feels like it has some weight so I definitely think they’re doing some trickery. And to be fair, that maybe that’s how the A320 actually works, I wouldn’t know.

I honestly don’t understand why this hasn’t really been addressed since proper ground handling seems like quite an important part of a flight simulator. Has asobo even acknowledged this as a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
My understanding is that the FBW steering is realistic. It is a real life delay because of the nosewheel hydraulics.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The 172 I can speak to directly, and it feels like trash. The rolling resistance is way too high especially on pavement, the nose wheel is far too effective at steering (the real thing is basically a strongly worded letter that you write to the nosewheel asking it to turn the aircraft,) and asymmetric braking not only murders what little inertia you might have managed to build up, but also isn’t nearly as effective at turning the aircraft as it is in a real 172.

And also all the things mentioned upthread. Touchdown in the sim is always a fun time when you get to discover what random direction the wind model and ground interface model is going to shoot you this time.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

Touchdown in the sim is always a fun time when you get to discover what random direction the wind model and ground interface model is going to shoot you this time.

To be fair even level D sims are like this to some extent

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I can't find it so maybe I just hallucinated it or I'm remembering something else I saw incorrectly, but I swear one of Asobo's pre-release preview videos was about how much effort they put into accurately simulating tire physics. Talked about how runway contamination like snow, ice, and standing water would affect steering and braking. It made perfect sense at the time because MSFS shares an engine with Forza Horizon, so maybe they adapted the tire sim from it.

2.5 years after the actual release, there is absolutely nothing like that in the sim.

I think my favorite thing is the magic speed that varies by aircraft where if you're .01kt under it the nosewheel sticks to the ground like glue and you can stand on the pedal and whip the plane into a super-tight circle, but if you're .01kt over it the nosewheel might as well be on ice.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Theris posted:

It made perfect sense at the time because MSFS shares an engine with Forza Horizon, so maybe they adapted the tire sim from it.

Huh? The simulation engine dates back to FSX (or even older?), and the 3D rendering engine was replaced with Asobo's own in-house engine (from plague tale). I'm not aware of any Forza DNA being in there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I know the upcoming Fable sequel is using the Forza Horizon engine, but I wasn’t aware of any other Microsoft titles using it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Theris posted:

I can't find it so maybe I just hallucinated it or I'm remembering something else I saw incorrectly, but I swear one of Asobo's pre-release preview videos was about how much effort they put into accurately simulating tire physics. Talked about how runway contamination like snow, ice, and standing water would affect steering and braking. It made perfect sense at the time because MSFS shares an engine with Forza Horizon, so maybe they adapted the tire sim from it.

2.5 years after the actual release, there is absolutely nothing like that in the sim.

I think my favorite thing is the magic speed that varies by aircraft where if you're .01kt under it the nosewheel sticks to the ground like glue and you can stand on the pedal and whip the plane into a super-tight circle, but if you're .01kt over it the nosewheel might as well be on ice.

It goes nicely with their apparent belief that runways cannot be plowed. By god, if there is snow anywhere, there's a loving foot on the runway! Not slush, a full on foot of snow! Differences in plowing between the community airport in High River and the main runways at YYC? I think the gently caress not!

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Looks like there was discussion pre-release where people thought the rendering engine was based on Ftech and I was remembering that. (Would have been the same time period as the video about the tire physics, so that's where I must have formed the connection in my memory.)

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Steadiman posted:

It’s really bad, almost like they switch to an entirely different physics system the moment your wheels touch the ground. It’s hilarious how difficult planes can be to control during take off or roll out, even with mild winds it’s super easy to lose control and veer off the runway. Or how your wheels can be at an almost 90 degree angle at slow speed and you’re still moving in an almost straight line when taxiing. It all just feels “off”.

I think some planes try to create better ground handling by faking it but that creates its own problems I think. I find the FBW A320 really hard to taxi, for example. Super easy to overshoot turns and the braking is wildly unpredictable, with an oddly long delay between pushing the brake and it actually braking, but at least it feels like it has some weight so I definitely think they’re doing some trickery. And to be fair, that maybe that’s how the A320 actually works, I wouldn’t know.

I honestly don’t understand why this hasn’t really been addressed since proper ground handling seems like quite an important part of a flight simulator. Has asobo even acknowledged this as a problem?

Yes to all of this! Especially the comments about braking delays. For me, it happens in every plane I fly so I have gotten in the habit of pumping the brakes in a full on/full off fashion. Trying to feather them like I can in DCS or IL2 just results in the a/c veering wildly one way or the other. When I've searched for resolutions, the two inevitable responses are 1) check your axis response curves (I have), or 2) a condescending "git gud."

I can concur with MrYenko's assessment with respect to C172s completely. Unfortunately every aircraft is just as bad, IMO.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I think one of the biggest the issues with ground handling is that MSFS has ground friction basically set up as an on/off switch, so there's no gradual transfer of weight to/from the gear.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I forgot how painfully slow Flight Sims download servers are.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I always have to disable IPv6 to get a decent download speed in MSFS, no loving idea why

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Negostrike posted:

I always have to disable IPv6 to get a decent download speed in MSFS, no loving idea why

Probably DNS. I've had times where EA Origin would not download anything faster than 5 kb/s no matter what, and then I switched DNS servers and download speeds were great.

also lol IPv6 still isn't really mainstream in 2023.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Working Title is updating the 747 and 787.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Negostrike posted:

I've got a number of games where if I use IPv6, my routing goes to hell and I get multi-second ping times, like I was back on a lovely 56k dialup. I am not surprised that disabling IPv6 also improves your download speeds.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My download is stuck at decompressing files, does this just take forever? I dont remember it taking this long.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Zero One posted:

Working Title is updating the 747 and 787.

Looking forward to WT showing PMDG that it is, in fact, possible to get the HUD runway outline aligned with the runway.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:toot:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

wow that's pretty fantastic.

I hope this eventually leads to a falcon 5.0. A campaign mode like 4 but modern software would be fantastic. It would be nice to have basically BMS but brought up to 2023 standard.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It wouldnt be the same without a literal textbook manual included. :p

also flight sim is still downloading and decompressing files lol.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

so close yet so far away :(

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I said come in! posted:

so close yet so far away :(

Are you using wifi or an ethernet cable?

My first install was on wifi and took 12 hours at least. Ethernet kicked on thr afterburner and at least got it down to like 4.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

My first install was on wifi and took 12 hours at least. Ethernet kicked on thr afterburner and at least got it down to like 4.

Ethernet on a fiber optic connection :( Been trying to troubleshoot all morning and Google is giving me nothing. Re-downloading the game over again but this time through Game Pass instead of Steam. My Steam install kept giving me an error message that Flight Sim needs some important files to continue, and then quits out and was just stuck in an endless loop of being unable to redownload. This was after I closed Flight Sim and tried starting it up again to see if that would fix the decompressing issue.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

CBJSprague24 posted:

Lol what the actual gently caress, four hours being the 'good' speed

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:sigh:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I just bought a box copy of Falcon4 fairly cheaply so I can admire the manual, maybe dip my toe into Bms, and to help learn the F16 for DCS as it was cheaper than printing its, or Chuck's, manuals out. It's fantastic.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

When I've had the MSFS updater stall out on me, I'd quit the program, search for the package, and then delete it.

Relaunch the game and it usually fixes it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Trying a VPN right now to see if that will help, and I think it is a little bit? Not enough though, not what a fiber optic connection should be. I don't get it though, this is literally the only download with this problem. :cripes: Please, I just really want to fly airplanes into the ground again.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 4, 2023

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Because the game is running when you're patching, it's easy to tell how bad the system is. For example, I just passed 100 hours flying somewhat recently but have 246 hours played on Steam. And Steam downloads things at about 50 MB/s.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Alctel posted:

Lol what the actual gently caress, four hours being the 'good' speed

poo poo man, I had a MSFS install that literally took 5 days.

Their installer is poo poo.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I managed to do it in two hours last week. The installer has gotten at least a little better over time.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
VPN's seem to help.

If I'm just on wifi, I'll get maybe 10mbps, but if I turn on a VPN, it jumps up to about 80.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

azflyboy posted:

VPN's seem to help.

If I'm just on wifi, I'll get maybe 10mbps, but if I turn on a VPN, it jumps up to about 80.

Which VPN service did you have good luck with? The best I have been able to get on this download is 125Mbit/sec, which is still painfully slow. My normal download speeds on Steam are between 80MB/Sec - 100MB/Sec.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Which VPN service did you have good luck with? The best I have been able to get on this download is 125Mbit/sec, which is still painfully slow. My normal download speeds on Steam are between 80MB/Sec - 100MB/Sec.

I use ExpressVPN.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

azflyboy posted:

I use ExpressVPN.

If this second attempt at downloading Flight Sim doesnt work, I will try that service, thanks! It could very well be my ISP (xfinity) that is intentionally capping download speeds for this specific game and its servers, but I don’t see why they would do that.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
If other games and services download normally, it's most likely something with the janky-rear end servers Microsoft uses for MSFS, and not anything intentional.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Strange as it might sound your internet connection might actually be too fast, apparently that's been a problem for some people and you did say you have gigabit internet. Try throttling to 300mbit or so?

The installer is a complete disaster. Most of the rest of the sim has seen a lot of love in the two and a half years that it has been out but that thing still sucks rear end.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I was a launch day customer of the big binder of 4.0. Still have it in my closet.

I remember how buggy it is to the point of being unplayable but the potential was crazy.

drat, I hope this gets a re-launch, even if it's just a graphic overhaul with bugs stomped out.

Hell, give me an exact modern relaunch of Longbow 2 with a graphics overhaul and nothing more and I'd be happy as well. If EA has the Jane's sims, that'll never happen though.

Well, I suppose I'll fire it up for the first time in weeks and see how painful it is on my wired gigabit connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
My installation suddenly stopped loading terrain imagery on me so I'm reinstalling it in the hopes that it will help. Already had one crash in the course of installation so this is going great. At least in my case it looks like it should be done in a few hours.