Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

...until the iATM came along, which was comically broken.

Clans and broken, overpowered equipment? Who could have seen this coming?

Yeah, I'm kind of glad I transitioned in to MegaMek when it was only 3025 era rules/tech. Broke me out of my adolescent min/max clan tech phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Razor and myself have pretty obvious moves. I'll head to 1814 and hit the CDA while Razor can get to 1811 via 1709 for 5 Hexes. If we're very lucky we could possibly get both of them, but I can't get a good spot to help with the COM and Razor can't help with the CDA without jumping. There's a risk Razor gets focused and everything somehow hits. I think the PPC would need 10 and the LL just 8.

Mirage and Prime, what do you want to do? I'd say leave the infantry and try to move as far as possible to us.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 26, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Prime here, haven’t really had a chance to look at the board in detail yet. Hopefully by tomorrow

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hm. Could run due south to 0810, which sets me up well to harass next turn but does make me a bit exposed (on the third hand, it is correctly an r7 move)

1208 is also in the mix and i could split fire with MLs at the COM and MGs at the INF, but putting a LCT into "the mix" is not usually a great idea (again r7 though)

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Min range is one of the reasons clan lrms are so loving good

They don’t have a min range

There's a rule that you can have "hot" ammo in LRM launchers that eliminates the penalties.

If you don't mind an ammo detonation if the launcher gets destroyed, that is.

I understand this was largely a Draconic Combine move.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Increasing combat effectiveness while decreasing veteran disability budget, pretty clever really

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

Razor and myself have pretty obvious moves. I'll head to 1814 and hit the CDA while Razor can get to 1811 via 1709 for 5 Hexes. If we're very lucky we could possibly get both of them, but I can't get a good spot to help with the COM and Razor can't help with the CDA without jumping. There's a risk Razor gets focused and everything somehow hits. I think the PPC would need 10 and the LL just 8.

Mirage and Prime, what do you want to do? I'd say leave the infantry and try to move as far as possible to us.

Question, since I'm spending 9 MP to get to 1811, does that mean that I'm automatically running, or can I choose to walk there, since 5 hex is within my walk allowance?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Space Kablooey posted:

Question, since I'm spending 9 MP to get to 1811, does that mean that I'm automatically running, or can I choose to walk there, since 5 hex is within my walk allowance?

The move points spent determine if you're walking or running. So, spend 9, you're running even if you only move, say, three elevation changes into heavy woods.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ah makes sense. I got confused by a passage from the Quick start rules.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Also how much is the punching penalty for not having hands? +1?

E: anyway, locked in movement to 1811 and shooting at the COM

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 27, 2023

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i like the way hbs battletech portrays short-range LRM attempts - the mech will launch them nearly straight up so they have time to arm and then they arc down to the target, to either get some cool hits or just explode harmlessly nearby. a clever way to combine the lore of LRMs needing time to arm with the game mechanic of technically being able to hit at short range if you roll really well and have lots of things in your favour

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Space Kablooey posted:

Also how much is the punching penalty for not having hands? +1?

Mechs without hand actuators suffer a +1 penalty when punching. Mechs without lower arm actuators suffer a +2 penalty and their punches only deal half damage.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

biosterous posted:

i like the way hbs battletech portrays short-range LRM attempts - the mech will launch them nearly straight up so they have time to arm and then they arc down to the target, to either get some cool hits or just explode harmlessly nearby. a clever way to combine the lore of LRMs needing time to arm with the game mechanic of technically being able to hit at short range if you roll really well and have lots of things in your favour

I like this too

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Submitted for 1814 facing NE to Alpha Strike the CDA.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

submitted to 0810

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Thinking I'll jump to 0910 them cool off for a turn. Get back to 0 heat for the next one. Can someone confirm if the foot platoon can see me there? I might to 0911 if they can. Take a +3 tmm

Edit: clantech sucks because clantech is so good. I like 3025 rules where everything has big drawbacks

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 27, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Thinking I'll jump to 0910 them cool off for a turn. Get back to 0 heat for the next one. Can someone confirm if the foot platoon can see me there? I might to 0911 if they can. Take a +3 tmm

Edit: clantech sucks because clantech is so good. I like 3025 rules where everything has big drawbacks

They'll have half cover plus long range for like 11 if you Jump. But you could just run 11 MP to 0911 and be totally blocked and better setup for next turn. If you Jump to 0911, you could face SE and be 1MP "ahead" of the running move as you're likely to move east next. That and the added +1 for jumping means it's probably the best bet to cool down and be safe. You'll probably need to help finish off the COM/CDA.

It's crazy how different it is with this team based initiative. The OPFOR has to always move defensively or else all of us can get behind units every turn. Where on TT only your last moved unit or two will get that level of advantage due to alternating moves.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 28, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

By the way, is the CDA supposed to have hands in its sheet? Iirc from the games it only had little stubby wings.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Space Kablooey posted:

By the way, is the CDA supposed to have hands in its sheet? Iirc from the games it only had little stubby wings.

Whoops! Yep, that's an error. I'll fix that for the next update. Can you imagine a Cicada with hands? What a creepy thought.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

??? They clap them together really fast that's how they make that noise

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

They clap them so fast most people don't even think they have arms at all!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Looool

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Scintilla posted:

Whoops! Yep, that's an error. I'll fix that for the next update. Can you imagine a Cicada with hands? What a creepy thought.

i'm not sorry

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

biosterous posted:

i'm not sorry

i was just about to do something similar :hf:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I imagine it having Slenderman-style long arms and fingers.

When it reaches melee range, it doesn't punch its enemies. It just reaches out and... strokes them. Very gently.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Melee is weird because it's not a very good option most of the time I imagine? Since you're at risk of stumbling and falling, and it doesn't deal all that much damage compared to the guns you have (On a well-armed mech at least)

But at the same time sometimes you just have to squeeze that extra damage out, or your guns are gone so it's what you have left. Or your mech is actually built for melee combat and has an excellent punch at melee range. I've played the 2018 Battletech game, I remember the Hatchetman in all its weird melee glory

That game is also funny because all mechs can melee regardless of damage taken, which produces fun images of a mech with no arms and a broken leg briefly standing on their broken leg to kick with their good one. Or a Locust bodyslamming an enemy much larger than them

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
missing a punch carries no risk of falling!

Amechwarrior posted:

They'll have half cover plus long range for like 11 if you Jump. But you could just run 11 MP to 0911 and be totally blocked and better setup for next turn. If you Jump to 0911, you could face SE and be 1MP "ahead" of the running move as you're likely to move east next. That and the added +1 for jumping means it's probably the best bet to cool down and be safe. You'll probably need to help finish off the COM/CDA.

It's crazy how different it is with this team based initiative. The OPFOR has to always move defensively or else all of us can get behind units every turn. Where on TT only your last moved unit or two will get that level of advantage due to alternating moves.

it's definitely going to be a jump no matter where I end up, not going to shoot so i can sink back to 0 heat

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Scintilla posted:

When it reaches melee range, it doesn't punch its enemies. It just reaches out and... strokes them. Very gently.

:catstare:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Scintilla posted:

This is illegal

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

glwgameplayer posted:

Melee is weird because it's not a very good option most of the time I imagine? Since you're at risk of stumbling and falling, and it doesn't deal all that much damage compared to the guns you have (On a well-armed mech at least)

Melee damage is derived from the weight of the Battlemech, which is why it is so anemic at this tonnage. Meanwhile, after a certain point weapons don't get any stronger, you just mount more of them. Kicking forces a PSR if you miss, but inflicts a PSR if you hit, which is potentially quite useful, and gets very powerful as tonnage goes up.

Unlike the HBS computer game, you don't have to pick between melee and weapon combat. As long as you haven't used arm-mounted (for punches) or leg mounted (for kicks) weapons, you can use the melee attack if you're adjacent to somebody.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gnoman posted:

Melee damage is derived from the weight of the Battlemech, which is why it is so anemic at this tonnage. Meanwhile, after a certain point weapons don't get any stronger, you just mount more of them. Kicking forces a PSR if you miss, but inflicts a PSR if you hit, which is potentially quite useful, and gets very powerful as tonnage goes up.

Unlike the HBS computer game, you don't have to pick between melee and weapon combat. As long as you haven't used arm-mounted (for punches) or leg mounted (for kicks) weapons, you can use the melee attack if you're adjacent to somebody.

Also unlike mods for the game which do enable melee+shooting, turn order on the tabletop is fire phase before melee phase (modded hbs gets you melee and then fire)

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Melee combat gets a bit more varied later in the timeline, where you get mech-scale swords, hatchets, vibroweapons, etc. Right now it's mostly just punches and kicks.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Scintilla posted:

Melee combat gets a bit more varied later in the timeline, where you get mech-scale swords, hatchets, vibroweapons, etc. Right now it's mostly just punches and kicks.

And if you're feeling spicy, an unrooted tree or the arm of some poor fucker you blew clean off

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I wanted to put one of those 3d printed arms from "birds with arms" memes on the CDA but what's posted is already better than what I'd be able to do.

Melee is great when you're bigger. A 50t 'Mech does 5 DMG on a punch and 10 for kicking, that's a free ML and PPC if they land. Also doesn't cost any heat, and punches only hit the upper body (1-in-6 odds of landing the head) if both units are on the same level. A 100t 'Mech can kick as hard as an AC/20 and punch for 10. Head armor only goes up to 9, so an Atlas throwing hands has two 1-in-6 chances for getting to roll for a critical hit on your Head.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
By the way since we've been talking about Battletech so much I have had a renewed interest in the franchise and I downloaded BattleTech Advanced 3062 for the 2018 computer game. This is entirely your fault and I blame all of you for it. On the bright side, it should all be good fun.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

By the way since we've been talking about Battletech so much I have had a renewed interest in the franchise and I downloaded BattleTech Advanced 3062 for the 2018 computer game. This is entirely your fault and I blame all of you for it. On the bright side, it should all be good fun.

Have fun, they've added a lot of stuff!

Amechwarrior posted:

Melee is great when you're bigger. A 50t 'Mech does 5 DMG on a punch and 10 for kicking, that's a free ML and PPC if they land. Also doesn't cost any heat, and punches only hit the upper body (1-in-6 odds of landing the head) if both units are on the same level. A 100t 'Mech can kick as hard as an AC/20 and punch for 10. Head armor only goes up to 9, so an Atlas throwing hands has two 1-in-6 chances for getting to roll for a critical hit on your Head.

It's a good thing we got that Shadow Hawk then, it's got the quirk "Battlefists" so it gets a bonus to hit with punches!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

glwgameplayer posted:

I’m also doing this, it’s fun. There are definitely some things to get used to but it’s totally worth it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

I’m also doing this, it’s fun. There are definitely some things to get used to but it’s totally worth it

Also here’s the hbs battletech thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821533

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Scintilla posted:

if you don't have adorable sub-arms, are you even trying?
(not hotlinking, its a non-bt mech render)