Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It looks like all the available options are insanely expensive, ha. i didn’t really expect them to float around this much. I thought I found a diamond in the rough with the Odin Lite, but I never started with the basic question if it ran Windows.

It looks like my options if I want a handheld that isn’t as massive as the SteamDeck, while still being priced on the cheaper side are the WIN600 or running Project Valhalla on an Odin Base or Pro.

Part of me is leaning towards the WIN600 since it has Windows out of the gate but then again, it’s almost $100 more expensive. Decisions to be made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Aya had a cheap windows option but they quickly realized it wasn’t sustainable at that price.

Ayn is still trucking along but they are 6-8 months late delivering their windows machine at this point so I wouldn’t hold my breath.

I realize this is taki but his point is correct.

https://youtu.be/jLepn0UPRy4

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Yeah, if only it could've stayed in that price range -- it'd be perfect.

I think I'll go for the base Odin and just run Project Valhalla. The WIN600 is immediately available and comes with Windows OOB but it's also like, insanely chunky looking. And judging from reviews, its fans are loud too. The Odin would at least give me a sleeker design and a project to get myself into.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
From what I read on sbcgaming, WIN600 is a pretty good emulation machine. It's spec isn't much but it works.

I just hate they have the anbernic logo on the front. All the other Anbernic premium models don't have the logo.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

LODGE NORTH posted:

I think I'll go for the base Odin and just run Project Valhalla.

What, exactly, is it that you think you want to run Windows for? Because whatever it is you're trying to do, it is extremely unlikely Project Valhalla is going to be able to do it.

You "can" run Windows on a rg351 if you want; up to Windows 98se, using Dosbox Pure. I assume this is not what you have in mind, but I don't know.

x86 portables are expensive and clunky because the x86 architecture is old and was never designed for portability. Many things have been rewritten for ARM devices though, but of course not everything.

If you're trying to just access Steam and play whatever, nothing you can run on an ARM device like the Odin is ever going to be able to do that (well I'll be damned). But you can do a surprising amount of cool stuff with ports and emulation on the ARM portables.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 21, 2023

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

zzMisc posted:

What, exactly, is it that you think you want to run Windows for? Because whatever it is you're trying to do, it is extremely unlikely Project Valhalla is going to be able to do it.

You "can" run Windows on a rg351 if you want; up to Windows 98se, using Dosbox Pure. I assume this is not what you have in mind, but I don't know.

x86 portables are expensive and clunky because the x86 architecture is old and was never designed for portability. Many things have been rewritten for ARM devices though, but of course not everything.

If you're trying to just access Steam and play whatever, nothing you can run on an ARM device like the Odin is ever going to be able to do that. But you can do a surprising amount of cool stuff with ports and emulation on the ARM portables.

Right now, only Pokemon fangames and obscure Japanese visual novels that some guy might've translated in 1998. I'm realllly not trying to do anything power hungry, I just want to have a portable way to do Windows exclusive things from decades ago.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
GPD win 2 or older machines.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

LODGE NORTH posted:

Right now, only Pokemon fangames and obscure Japanese visual novels that some guy might've translated in 1998. I'm realllly not trying to do anything power hungry, I just want to have a portable way to do Windows exclusive things from decades ago.

Well then, you can absolutely run Win98 within Dosbox on any of the linux-based devices, though I'd recommend at least a rg503/353 or better. Just search "Installing Win98 in Dosbox Pure", there are lots of tutorials out there. It's easier if you set it up first on your regular PC, then transfer the .img file with the installed OS to the bios folder on your device. For Japanese VNs, you might need to do some region/language fuckery in Win98 to get them to run, but if your interest runs that way already presumably you're already familiar with that.

Admittedly it may be a little more tinkering than a device running native Windows, but it works. And stuff that old is definitely not going to run directly under an arm version of windows anyhow.

And for the record this isn't a "should work" - I've done it myself, so far all I've run is an old Monty Python Meaning of Life game in Win95b, but it totally works. There's something weirdly satisfying about watching the old Pipes screensaver on an emu portable.

Edit: Just to update this here after looking into it further - apparently Project Valhalla on the Odin does install some sort of x86 emulation layer? That's absolutely crazy to me and I didn't expect that to be plausible. Compatibility is spotty but still way better than I would've expected.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 21, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really should sell my GPD win max now that I have the win max 2.

eBay is such a pain in my rear end though.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Man, gently caress this game, even today.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

zzMisc posted:

Edit: Just to update this here after looking into it further - apparently Project Valhalla on the Odin does install some sort of x86 emulation layer? That's absolutely crazy to me and I didn't expect that to be plausible. Compatibility is spotty but still way better than I would've expected.

Well, there's my interest gone

edit:

MarcusSA posted:

I really should sell my GPD win max now that I have the win max 2.

eBay is such a pain in my rear end though.

👀

How much you want for it?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I think we have our new "just get this thing" default recommendation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImqGsC0NZ6M

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMEfvMU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Shame it doesn't have the good Super Nintendo colours as an option.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Purple SNES is classy, the shape of the US console being lame I'll give you but the color scheme is aces

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

flavor.flv posted:

I think we have our new "just get this thing" default recommendation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImqGsC0NZ6M

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMEfvMU

Mine arrived last week. For $20 or whatever I paid it's pretty good. Mostly I think it shines for GBA although with the aspect ratio things are a bit blurry. NES is the sharpest by far. SNES performance is very hit and miss. Save states are functional enough but it desperately needs button remapping support. I have no idea why it has an analog stick, maybe the MAME stuff.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
A bunch of preview video for the Asus Ally from PC channels come out today. Personally I dislike this trend of getting bigger and bigger.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

stephenthinkpad posted:

A bunch of preview video for the Asus Ally from PC channels come out today. Personally I dislike this trend of getting bigger and bigger.

This isn't going to be much below $1000, if at all, is it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

This isn't going to be much below $1000, if at all, is it?

Heavy rumors are it’s going to be in the $650 range to compete with the high end deck sku.

stephenthinkpad posted:

It’s actually a bit smaller and lighter than the deck

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Heavy rumors are it’s going to be in the $650 range to compete with the high end deck sku.

It’s actually a bit smaller and lighter than the deck

Yeah the rumours were that Microsoft are subsidising it somewhat to get it to a Deck equivalent price point. I don't believe it's going to be lighter though just because I think the 6800U handhelds are either heavier or equal weight to the Deck, and the Ally is going to require some beefy cooling and probably a huge battery.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
One of today's video did say its lighter than the Deck.

To me they are all too large to carry outside.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/25/23696722/amd-ryzen-z1-z1-extreme-rog-ally

ASUS appears to not have paid for exclusivity rights to their custom power-tuned silicon this time around. Rejoice, for this might mean we get a whole slate of devices with these in them.

edit: By which I mean that the power tuning is custom, not the silicon itself.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 25, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So the GPD Win 4 is shipping with different screens to the review units they sent out.
https://twitter.com/RetroGameCorps/status/1650936888755392512

E:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/25/23696722/amd-ryzen-z1-z1-extreme-rog-ally

ASUS appears to not have paid for exclusivity rights to their custom power-tuned silicon this time around, rejoice.

Questionable whether it even was a custom job or just a chip AMD hadn't announced yet. It looks like the same problem every other non-Deck handheld has though, it's relying a lot on just throwing power at the problem

njsykora fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 25, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

So the GPD Win 4 is shipping with different screens to the review units they sent out.
https://twitter.com/RetroGameCorps/status/1650936888755392512

E:

Questionable whether it even was a custom job or just a chip AMD hadn't announced yet. It looks like the same problem every other non-Deck handheld has though, it's relying a lot on just throwing power at the problem

To piggy back on this it was revealed today that the asus is going to have a VRR screen and it’s going to (most likely) have a landscape native screen.

Portrait screens break quite a few DX8 games.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

njsykora posted:

Sorry. In my statement, the power tuning bit is what's custom, not the silicon.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Yeah the rumours were that Microsoft are subsidising it somewhat to get it to a Deck equivalent price point. I don't believe it's going to be lighter though just because I think the 6800U handhelds are either heavier or equal weight to the Deck, and the Ally is going to require some beefy cooling and probably a huge battery.

The specs listed here have it being 60g lighter,

Ally - 608 g Deck - 669 g

https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-rog-ally-console-prototypes-have-been-pictured-featuring-a-closer-look-at-amd-ryzen-z1-extreme-chip

Also slightly smaller

Ally - 28.0 x 11.3 x 3.9 mm Deck - 29.8 x 11.7 x 4.9 cm

Speculation is that the battery will be slightly smaller to account for the lower weight.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

All of these are likely going to be visually smaller just because they don't have the Deck's trackpads, if the battery is smaller though I really hope they've nailed the power draw.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

njsykora posted:

because they don't have the Deck's trackpads

hosed up priorities

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

hosed up priorities

Triple true because the thing runs windows.

My Aya Neo uses the controller as a simulated mouse and it works ok but an actual track pad works a lot better.

Touching the screen sucks.

Also the windows 11 on screen keyboard is lovely smelly balls.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

That’s supposed to be one of the things they gain having Microsoft on side for the Ally, that they’re making a game launcher for Windows so it’s less nightmarish to use on a handheld.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Does MS really have a hand in the launch of this thing? Its PR campaign seems very small time and non secretive. A MS sponsored device would have been very hush hush and come out in a big event.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The rumour was they're subsidising it behind the scenes to help Asus hit a price point equal to the Steam Deck, mostly because they want to maintain Windows' position as the default gaming OS even on handhelds. It's not something they're going to promote hard, but the Ally's marketing is putting the fact that it runs Windows front and center and if Microsoft are involved they'll probably have a few ads for Game Pass when it launches that quietly show the Ally being used to try and shake the Deck's position as default handheld PC. It kinda reminds me of old washing machine ads where manufacturers would have deals with detergent makers so they'd show each other in their ads without otherwise remarking on the partnership.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

MarcusSA posted:

Also slightly smaller

Ally - 28.0 x 11.3 x 3.9 mm Deck - 29.8 x 11.7 x 4.9 cm

Oh wow, that's a lot more than slightly smaller. What are they competing with, the game gear micro?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I've been looking at buying a used phone with a good snapdragon processer in it for running emulators.

I noticed the cheapest options are phones that are still carrier locked.

Does that matter at all for game emulation if a person doesn't plan on using it for a phone?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Potentially yes, I remember Russ doing a video on that with a used LG phone he got and while its not something that'll stop you doing stuff it is a giant pain in the rear end since you'll likely still need at least a prepaid sim card and account to get through initial setup.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Probably better to just get a tablet or dedicated handheld for that purpose than a phone honestly, depending on how much power you need and/or how much you want to spend

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company
I ordered an RP3+ and it's hopefully getting delivered next week. Apparently there was a recent OTA update that boosts performance quite a bit so if you have one, make sure you update it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve seen some Flip reviews and it seems kinda mid, anyone here pick one up? I was interested in the purple one but I’m on the fence

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

HiredGun posted:

I ordered an RP3+ and it's hopefully getting delivered next week. Apparently there was a recent OTA update that boosts performance quite a bit so if you have one, make sure you update it.

How much does it boost it by? It was already fairly powerful.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

njsykora posted:

The rumour was they're subsidising it behind the scenes to help Asus hit a price point equal to the Steam Deck, mostly because they want to maintain Windows' position as the default gaming OS even on handhelds. It's not something they're going to promote hard, but the Ally's marketing is putting the fact that it runs Windows front and center and if Microsoft are involved they'll probably have a few ads for Game Pass when it launches that quietly show the Ally being used to try and shake the Deck's position as default handheld PC. It kinda reminds me of old washing machine ads where manufacturers would have deals with detergent makers so they'd show each other in their ads without otherwise remarking on the partnership.

My biggest gripe with my steam deck is how I can't play all these free Game Pass games on it, so this is a smart direction for them to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Who knows if this is true but its right about the rumored price.

https://twitter.com/_snoopytech_/status/1651354672081272834?s=20