Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I don't really like to know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I expected that the post was saying he died.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Now the episode with him and William Hurt is even more uncomfortable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5O1ZXcGQlA

Dinosaurs are loving back, yo. Kinda wish that they'd show a different era like the Jurassic but the fossil record for the late Cretaceous is so extensive they could run for years off of all the stuff we've got.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5O1ZXcGQlA

Dinosaurs are loving back, yo. Kinda wish that they'd show a different era like the Jurassic but the fossil record for the late Cretaceous is so extensive they could run for years off of all the stuff we've got.

Before I clicked the link I was really hoping it was a remake of the puppet sitcom.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
OK, I like the direction Schmigadoon is going, I don't know if it's my own love for this number but A Little Priest, mixed with Annie and the clear Sweet Charity mix in Topher's song makes more sense, it's not just pastiche but it's mixing musicals/main characters for plot reasons, it does make sense,I was wrong.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
What an absolutely insane number. I kind of bounced off S1, but S2 has been very fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd4B0nIuaTc

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Catching up on Big Door Prize and it's really clicking for me, despite it being clear that we're not heading to Needful Things style chaos any time soon. It's decently funny, has some strong performances. It's also very loving sweet and wholesome; I loved the swinger girlfriend from the fifth episode talking about how jealous she gets when her husband spends time taking pictures of trees. (Also Emily Topper was very, very funny in the role.)

Thinking about the idea of "potential", and wondering whether everyone in town's got it wrong. The general vibe the cast seem to be going with is that the card describes a person's potential from the moment they get their card, when it seems more like it's their potential full stop. So the coach is, ironically, the most successful of everyone, and a lot of other people have just missed the boat.

I also really like the weirdness of the setting, e.g. the local mascot being a hoof rather than a deer, complete with awful hoof based mascot costume. tbh I wish they'd lean into the goofiness even further. Not particularly interested in all the myth arc stuff though, though that's pretty much only the blue marks subplot. This stuff always strikes me as too arbitrary to hang a plot on.

Kudos to the goon who called the Liar card, btw, though it turns out I called a lot of the poo poo with the Giogrio character -- though in retrospect I really could have called that hair.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 21, 2023

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I wish Big Door Prize would lean a little more into the cards not actually making anyone happy. But the trailer for the show hints at there being more substance in the later episodes.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Oasx posted:

I wish Big Door Prize would lean a little more into the cards not actually making anyone happy. But the trailer for the show hints at there being more substance in the later episodes.

But Cass is a lot happier having gotten away from Izzie. And Principal Pat seems happier as well.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Solid ending for Extrapolations. The ideas they presented had some truth to them, but some of it was a bit too optimistic. I can't get over how weird they made Jon Snow look, but I like how he was in Ep 1 and has been just in the background the entire season. He's super old now and I guess they have de-aging, or a way to stop aging, technology worked out? Kind of interesting with all the recent news about billionaires funding that kind of technology. The E-Judges thing was hilarious. I guess in the future we'll choose our judges like we choose our browsers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl7r1qLG9aA

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That looks nice :)

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

gonna need to make sure i watch schmicago before ted lasso next week

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Finally got around to watching the finale for Extrapolations, and they mostly nailed it. I did appreciate the callbacks to previous episodes, it reminded me of the finale for the 90s reboot of The Outer Limits. I did laugh that the penalty for Ecocide is being launched into orbit to live out your days in a temperature controlled environment.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Started watching Extrapolations, that is some heavy poo poo. I'm sure I'll get the 'lacking a narrative throughline' that's repeated in the reviews that are actually worth a drat, but we really enjoyed it so far.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
When I just concentrate on the football storyline and skip the characters I don't care about, then Ted Lasso really has a good thing going for it this season.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Bad At Watching Television Alert for Ep9 of Extrapolations, spoilered for those that have just started it.

What happened between the last two scenes? Fade out as Whitaker and Cotillard kiss as the NYE fireworks go off, then fade in on the following morning with the maid scrubbing the carpet before she grabs Whitaker's coat (and DNA) and scoots out to the pickup to filch his place in the upload. What happened between the kiss and the scrubbing? I am assuming the maid moiderised the couple so they wouldn't be able to protest/stop the theft of Whitaker's LifePause place? But if so then why bother with the scrubbing... it's not like there were any witnesses or any need to clean up a crime scene. (The artificial kid doesn't count, it was Put To Sleep.)

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I dunno, that's kind of a tough one and just bad exposition. I think that as Anna is looking out the window, she sees the LifePause vehicle pull up and sees an opportunity to get out of a lovely life. The entire time she's seeing this couple with a great life that shes clearly jealous of and hers isn't going well (in debt, everyone she knows is dead, etc) and just leaps at it. Then she declines the tip because with that LifePause service, you don't need money. With this great life, why would they be leaving? What's really confusing is that she didn't know who it was there for, but assumes its the guy, takes the big male jacket and goes at it. She was never privy to the conversation about it, she even leaves the room when the announcement is made, but I guess she could have just eavesdropped to figure it out.

But it's honestly just not explained well. I think they cut some scenes or something, because she says there the entire night too, instead of leaving when she could have.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Yeah, Extrapolations was somewhat frustrating - it's so painfully earnest and concerned with making the point that It tips over into insipidness far too often.

For example, Ep10: this is absolutely germane to the plot and situation so it's not just nitpicking: the known fact that the prosecutor's partner (the singer) was a vocal critic of Bilton and had also been known to have been murdered (but not by whom, or why, at that point) - would that on its face not have disqualified that particular prosecutor? A recusal would surely have been called for. And the real question w.r.t. the show is, was that a scathing satirical commentary on RoboJustice 2060, or just inept plotting? It's so confused you can't even tell.

Don't even get me started on that tasteless scene of Sienna Miller's death.

I said before but I think it works best when it's less direct, as we see people coping with the cascading chaos effects; remember the point of Jurassic Park - and the hidden reason why only the first movie out of six is actually any good - was not actually woo dinosaurs! but the downstream effects of perturbations in the system.

You do like a Glengarry thing, where the sales lead is who gets the franchise for the automated machine gun turrets at the border. You do a cod version of the Wannsee Conference, that sort of thing. You can have these ideas for free, Tim Apple.

loving sick of Oh He Was A Hologram All Along, they must have thought they were really clever with that reveal the three dozen times they did it, it seemed.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hughlander posted:

But Cass is a lot happier having gotten away from Izzie. And Principal Pat seems happier as well.

Yah I take this back, no one is happy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://tvline.com/2023/04/28/severance-season-2-delayed-controversy-beau-willimon/

It was good while it lasted

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The last time I read a "showrunners hate each other" story was with Unreal.

The show with one of the steepest quality declines of all time.

Bodes well for Severance!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This has been disputed by Stiller + others, fwiw

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

This has been disputed by Stiller + others, fwiw

Producers disputing bad PR about their show? Shocking

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

blue squares posted:

You can ask chatgpt to write a ‘sources say’ piece, the three follow up articles to the sources say piece and the six articles recapping the responses in five minutes and change. Pumping hundreds of those out is nothing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

For sure but I figured it was worth mentioning

cba to go into the Lasso thread hut I still haven’t watched the latest episode three days later because of how disappointing this season has been so far lol

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

For sure but I figured it was worth mentioning

cba to go into the Lasso thread hut I still haven’t watched the latest episode three days later because of how disappointing this season has been so far lol

If it helps, it’s probably the strongest episode of the season so far.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

last 2 lasso eps were wonderful

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the Amsterdam one had some good stuff but also some real poo poo and this season has been shockingly misogynist with the Rebecca and Keely storylines, Rebecca is all about her being obsessed with boys and babies and Keely’s is about her being a bad business owner who makes poor decisions and then getting a new love interest, poo poo’s embarrassing

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just skip anything not football related, makes this season a lot better, might have actually made season 2 watchable as well.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Escobarbarian posted:

Rebecca is all about her being obsessed with boys and babies
You’ve mentioned this more than once and I have to say I don’t see it that way — I think she’s obsessed with being old and alone. The “who is your emergency contact?” scene seems to have made that pretty clear.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Prehistoric Planet — Season 2 Official Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWlmzl2jCNs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
drat those Torosaurus look good.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Enjoyed this season of Schmigadoon. Also appreciated the RHPS reference in the last episode. I wonder if they did a third season what musical genre would they go to next, rock ballads?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Schment.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Kloaked00 posted:

Enjoyed this season of Schmigadoon. Also appreciated the RHPS reference in the last episode. I wonder if they did a third season what musical genre would they go to next, rock ballads?

Whatever was most popular with 80s/90s musicals I'd guess.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Season 3 could easily be set in an opera house of immense size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBi96MtEXqg

Season 2 was good, but honestly it didn't have the heart of season 1. I enjoyed it, and it was technically very good in some places but it didn't wow me. Also my girl Peppermint wasn't in it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I thought season 2 was ok, they obviously put a lot of work into it, but it relied a lot more on the audience knowing and liking musicals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I was completely wrong about my Schmicago before Lasso idea last week, and glad I did not follow it

exactly what I said to my wife.