Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jarmak posted:

Because they wanted to see the primary effects of the warhead without them being obscured by damage from secondaries? The likelihood fuel or gunpowder would have gone up can be inferred from the damage analysis, you don't actually have to see it happen.

Edit: Also why make a big loving fire if you can just look if the water spilled?

I'd put fluorescent tracer in the water so you can see where it went afterwards even if it dries up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Tunicate posted:

I'd put fluorescent tracer in the water so you can see where it went afterwards even if it dries up.

I don't think where it goes matters so much as whether it escapes the tank

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

psydude posted:

Is the Bradley really as bad as it's portrayed in that movie?

A large part of it seems to be that they went so far with the tanky stuff that they accidentally invented the IFV.

I remember the amphibious capability (or the attempts at it, anyway) were a big issue, before being dropped as a requirement. 60 Minutes got hold of one floundering in a channel and made a stink about the program.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

e- doublepost, so screw it:

There was an ancient Mi-8 on FOB Warhorse that had outriggers for chemical spraying. I got to see it take off when they finally moved it off the base. I've never been so terrified of flying, from the ground and outside the flying vehicle.

It didn't take off. It took bigger and bigger hops until it kinda stuck in the air.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

GD_American posted:

A large part of it seems to be that they went so far with the tanky stuff that they accidentally invented the IFV.

IFV may have been created a bit earlier than that...

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

GD_American posted:

I remember the amphibious capability (or the attempts at it, anyway) were a big issue, before being dropped as a requirement. 60 Minutes got hold of one floundering in a channel and made a stink about the program.

Some major BMP erasure, even if we grant that M113 does not fully fit in with lack of gun.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
BMP translates to IFV, after all, or near enough

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

orange juche posted:

Never thought I'd see pixellated shades on an Mi-8

It was a good day.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

meant to word that more sarcastically, like the way techbros will be focused on disruption so much they invent ancient, basic social concepts with humorous new names

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Army spent billions developing the Bradley IFV.

The Russians used a BMP.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Maybe he didn't realize that Russia is one of the few countries that actually measures things like engine performance in metric units?
What. Which units do you think most countries use for this?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
ukraine thread: pixellated shades on an Mi-8

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
It’s Hip to have flair

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1651494541503913985

Lol. lmao

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
rookie numbers

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

what the gently caress would you even use them for

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

export models

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The only crime is that he got caught.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kith posted:

You know those hillbillys that put engines up on blocks in their front yard? That.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kith posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN6Avagc8g4

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
ukraine is apparently in the market for t90 parts. I guess they have a hard time getting spares for some reason.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rolling coal baby yeehaw

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ngl if I had the opportunity to buy one I would

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Isn’t the T-90’s engine some old tractor design?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Kith posted:

The same engines are used by a lot of civilian heavy equipment designed in the Soviet Union. I've seen this as an explanation for why they started pulling T-62:s out of storage yards while there are still tons of T-72:s left there. Because all of those T-72:s are missing either parts or the entire engine because it ended up in earth moving equipment during the 90's.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

wonder if the T-14's are just John Deeres without the right to repair firmware

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
More like “russian colonel arrested for failing to let the cops get their beaks wet too”

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FrozenVent posted:

Isn’t the T-90’s engine some old tractor design?

T72 and T90 engine is an evolution of ye olde V2 from the BT7 and T34.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

fresh_cheese posted:

More like “russian colonel arrested for failing to let the cops get their beaks wet too”

Or "Russian colonel made the fall guy for general stealing 100s of engines"

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

TBF “based on” gets pretty squirrelly; GM got 50 years and 765 HP out of the small block Chevy; 70 years if the LS counts for “based on.”

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Herman Merman posted:

What. Which units do you think most countries use for this?

He may have misspoke. Russia prefers to use some other form of measurement instead of Newton Metres for torque.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 27, 2023

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Pennsylvanian posted:

He may have misspoke. Russia prefers to use some other form of measurement instead of Newton Metres for torque.

It was that, yeah. He added a note in the description on the T-14 saying it was a 'mis-translation on his part'.

I haven't watched the 'takedown' response of Lazerpig's T-14 video, but a brief skim of the comments had me seeing a lot of people really angrily fixating on that and tbqh that really makes me think they were missing the point. Tank nerds being tank nerds and focusing on minutia, missing the forest for the trees, etc.

Like basically all of what Lazerpig bases his arguments on in all of his videos is 'context'. He's applying the framework of intersectionality towards discussing military equipment - you can't base your opinion of something on 'hard data' or 'the facts' when it's so incredibly easy to misrepresent or outright lie with still perfectly accurate data, and 'the facts' need to be taken with a country sized grain of salt because everything you're told is literally serving double duty as both propaganda and literal sales marketing.

So while it's not a great showing he got stuff like that wrong, it doesn't really take away all that much from his argument IMO.

Kchama posted:

The whole Fighter Mafia thing never ceases to boggle my mind. How did the guys whose entire gimmick was 'reforming' things to be cheaper and shittier ever get any kind of clout or prestige?

They didn't, for the most part :v:

AFAIK nobody ever took them serious in any acquisition program capacity and their entire reputation is purely a civilian one, where their whole PR game and eagerness to go out and give big TV interviews where they talk as an 'authority' meant they could spew all the bullshit they want and be completely unchecked.

ishikabibble fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 27, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

What's the missile that basically shoots a shitload of tungsten pellets at stuff to irrevocably gently caress up light armor? I can't for the life of me remember its name, but I remember seeing a video of some Russian soldiers lamenting how their truck had been poked full of holes by one and effectively totaled because many of those holes went through the engine.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That would be the M30A1 GMLRS

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

M_Gargantua posted:

That would be the M30A1 GMLRS

Thank you!

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

GD_American posted:

This post makes me have heart palpitations.

"Accidentally" my rear end, the Bradley was designed to be an IFV, because that's what the US Army wanted.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

nord news

https://twitter.com/JKaarsbo/status/1651650991341576200?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This'll be hilarious because it shoots the 'expose' done by Hersh out of the water like Nordstream

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

WTF did Russia have to gain by destroying those pipelines? It completely destroyed their leverage against Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

psydude posted:

WTF did Russia have to gain by destroying those pipelines? It completely destroyed their leverage against Germany.

Russia, famous for being a rational actor lately...