Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Cameo posted:

He was perfectly dry, which is the capper to that whole dumb thing.

Oh that’s right. I remember commentary trying to figure out if he fell into the river or not and just assumed he would have had to in order to not have his head exploded like a watermelon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think almost definitionally any bumps taken from a tall thing inside your average venue would not be as high as bumps off of the roofs of said venues.

People forget that both Rey Mysterio AND Aleister Black were thrown off of the roof of Titan Towers that night, and I don't know if they ever explicitly said that they landed on a lower roof. The splat sound effect came at least a couple of seconds after they were tossed.

Titan Towers is a four story building, and according to Wikipedia is 84.8 feet tall.

According to a NHL fansite, Joe Louis Arena is "approximately" 85 feet tall.

There are a lot of factors to consider: Because the Giant is at least a foot taller than Mysterio or Black, were he to land on his feet he'd hit the ground sooner than either of them On the other hand, if the Giant fell into the water as is alleged, that's presumably several extra feet past ground level.

I can't find the exact heigh of the Sheraton Hotel in San Padre, but were the Wall to have taken a bump off of that building, it would have been a significantly greater height.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

I can't find the exact heigh of the Sheraton Hotel in San Padre, but were the Wall to have taken a bump off of that building, it would have been a significantly greater height.

Hulk Hogan throwing the wall off the sheraton as a running theme of hulkster throwing giant men off of buildings would have been awesome.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hasn't Aerostar done some stupid dives from like real high places too?

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

You would have to be Hercules to throw anybody off of Cobo Hall and end up in the Detroit river, there's about 20ft of ground to clear

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s the power of Hulkamania brother

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Is there a legal way in the US to watch years old episodes of AEW as they appeared on Fite (with full screen & commentary instead of Turner's picture-in-picture)?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Arbite posted:

Is there a legal way in the US to watch years old episodes of AEW as they appeared on Fite (with full screen & commentary instead of Turner's picture-in-picture)?

Archive dot org has more episodes of AEW than you'd expect. Is it legal? :shrug:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t understand how archive.org hasn’t been sued into the ground for even a fraction of a percentage of the stuff it has on it lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don’t understand how archive.org hasn’t been sued into the ground for even a fraction of a percentage of the stuff it has on it lol

It's too beautiful to last in this internet and I assume that recent case about books will be the start of the end

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Probably cause you have to actually pay people to do that and AEW isn’t losing any money from old dynamite shows. Only crazy companies like Nintendo feel the need to go after sites hosting old nes roms that like three people actually play.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Probably cause you have to actually pay people to do that and AEW isn’t losing any money from old dynamite shows. Only crazy companies like Nintendo feel the need to go after sites hosting old nes roms that like three people actually play.

Archive.org is currently hosting multiple complete sets of roms and isos for basically everything except the current generation of consoles.

It’s genuinely bizarre how Nintendo’s litigation-happy legal dept alone haven’t had them nuked off the face of the earth.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

It is in the process of being sued into the ground.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone remember the gently caress up that led to :camera6:?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Havoc904 posted:

What is one canceled part of wrestling you wish you could have seen more of?

It can be a gimmick (Seven or Kerwin White), an angle (Vince getting blown up), the WCW relaunch in 2001, etc etc.

Vader if he'd come round just a little bit later and gotten a little more respect in the US, so I could have seen him and Samoa Joe beat the piss out of each other.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

SG Bamboo posted:

Quite a few Young lions have come back with a drastically different gimmick from when they left the company. Some that come to mind straight away are

Tomoyuki Oka -> Great O-Khan
Kyosuke Mikami -> El Desperado
Takaaki Watanabe -> EVIL

But then there's stuff like Okada, Sho, Yoh and Hiromu Takahashi doing gimmicks during their excursions that they didn't stick with when they came back

Stardust Genius Naito to LIJ Naito was a huge and brilliant change

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

It is in the process of being sued into the ground.
...but not for that reason.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Did I imagine Shun Skywalker visiting AEW for a Dark or Dark Elevation match? I thought the spoilers thread mentioned an appearance but I can't remember if a match was shown on youtube or whatever.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's the most repeated angle?

Vince: "I screwed BRET HART and now I'm gonna screw YOU!"
nWo reunites
DX reunites

Something else I guess

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Can Cena overcome the odds?!

yea lol and with great ease

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Admiral Joeslop posted:

nWo reunites
DX reunites

Something else I guess

Sting betrayed for being a good-hearted dope.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

nWo reunites
DX reunites

Something else I guess
i think WWE has done a screwjob finish in a match in like 15 of the last 25 survivor series

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Can Cena overcome the odds?!

yea lol and with great ease

How many times has Cena not overcome the odds? In that he enters a feud and gets vanquished at the end of the feud.

Roman Reigns at Summerslam.
Austin Theory at Wrestlemania(as of this writing)

edit: Mind you I'm not saying "How many times has cena lost a big match" I'm asking, "Who gets a win over Cena, and Cena goes away"

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 29, 2023

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Defenestrategy posted:

How many times has Cena not overcome the odds?

At least once, in his first marriage

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

RandolphCarter posted:

Anyone remember the gently caress up that led to :camera6:?
There wasn't any specific visual thing that caused it. It was just a random audio screwup. They cut to some backstage brawl on Raw, and you could hear the feed from a cameraman's headset. The audio we heard was "Camera 6, you're in a worst-case scenario. Worst-case scenario, Randy!"

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Bonk posted:

There wasn't any specific visual thing that caused it. It was just a random audio screwup. They cut to some backstage brawl on Raw, and you could hear the feed from a cameraman's headset. The audio we heard was "Camera 6, you're in a worst-case scenario. Worst-case scenario, Randy!"

Thank you. I knew we heard someone say camera six but couldn’t remember why. :tipshat:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

How many times has Cena not overcome the odds? In that he enters a feud and gets vanquished at the end of the feud.

edit: Mind you I'm not saying "How many times has cena lost a big match" I'm asking, "Who gets a win over Cena, and Cena goes away"

Bryan beat Cena at Summerslam and that was it between them

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

TV Zombie posted:

Did I imagine Shun Skywalker visiting AEW for a Dark or Dark Elevation match? I thought the spoilers thread mentioned an appearance but I can't remember if a match was shown on youtube or whatever.

Match happened; believe they didn't think the match was airable. Someone might have gotten hurt in it but I can't remember if that is true.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Defenestrategy posted:

Bray Wyatt.

I feel like Sheamus should sort of count. Cena still went after him after losing the title for a little bit, but he didn't get the title back or get any meaningful win.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Defenestrategy posted:

I think all of these are kind of squishy terms, but in terms of 'losing a big match and Cena goes away/does not immediately win a rematch:

Daniel Bryan beat Cena at Summerslam 2013 and then Cena went away for several months to get triceps surgery. They never wrestled against each other on TV/PPV again except in the 2014 Elimination Chamber, where they mostly teamed up against the heels and both lost.

Undertaker beat Cena at Wrestlemania 34 and Cena never got his win back (he did appear at the Greatest Royal Rumble like three weeks later, so that may not count as 'going away')

Depending on how long of a view you take, AJ Styles beat Cena in two singles matches on PPV and pinned him a third time in a three way between AJ/Cena/Ambrose and afterwards Cena disappeared for the winter, before coming back to beat AJ 1 on 1 at the Royal Rumble.

He didn't really go away and the finish was to set up/continue his feud with Edge, but Cena never got his win back from Rob Van Dam at One Night Stand 2006 either.

If you really want to go back to pre-Main Event John Cena, even then he usually got his win back. The only people I can find who he did the honors for (and never got a win back) are all OVW era folks: Mark Jindrak, Kenny Bolin, and David Flair. Which I know wasn't what you were asking, I'm just amused at the idea that in a different era Cena would have used his stroke to bring in Jindrak or Flair as his special attraction opponents at some show just to get a win over them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Bray is also a poor example because Cena beat him repeatedly, including at WM, before Firefly Bray beat him

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bray is also a poor example because Cena beat him repeatedly, including at WM, before Firefly Bray beat him

and really Firefly Bray didn't beat John Cena, he just beat the idea of John Cena.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Would Brock count? Brock destroyed Cena in that suplex filled squash, don't remember what came after that though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

and really Firefly Bray didn't beat John Cena, he just beat the idea of John Cena.

I know it's way too high concept and silly for WWE but I would have really appreciated if when Cena returned, they adhered to the kayfabe of that match and none of the commentary or wrestlers knew who he was, because his entire history as a wrestler had been erased.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

remember when alberto del rio returned in 2015 and squashed cena for the US title, did they ever run that one back?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I don't think they did. They didn't even pay off The Kick That Beat John Cena for more than like one more match.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I looked it up and I don’t think I would have guessed who took the US title off ADR if you gave me 100 guesses

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

I looked it up and I don’t think I would have guessed who took the US title off ADR if you gave me 100 guesses

was it shamus?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is Bray Wyatt good as a wrestler, not just a gimmick? Is he held back by WWE being poo poo at everything?

Heck when was the last time someone WASN'T held back at some point in their career due to WWE being petty or stupid? Surely not as far back as Austin or Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is Bray Wyatt good as a wrestler, not just a gimmick? Is he held back by WWE being poo poo at everything?

Heck when was the last time someone WASN'T held back at some point in their career due to WWE being petty or stupid? Surely not as far back as Austin or Rock.

He's had very few good singles matches in his career and those happened against extremely good wrestlers. Like, it's possible he's just held back by horrible gimmicks and works to the level of his gimmicks but it seems unlikely.