Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Ochette's voice direction and acting are MVP for for me because characters like that can easily become obnoxious if they're not done right, but they threaded the needle perfectly

I love this game irrationally and without reserve, but I do not think they threaded the needle lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
No, they did.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I also had a negative first reaction to Partitio's English va, but glad I stuck with it cause it really grew on me.

I actually started playing the game with japanese va, but something felt a bit off to me (castti main, maybe why. Someone up thread said they felt her va was a bit flat) so I switched to English and never looked back.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Ochette's voice direction and acting are MVP for for me because characters like that can easily become obnoxious if they're not done right, but they threaded the needle perfectly

I agree, I she was the character I was most expecting to get on my nerves before I started playing, and I ended up loving her. Also, "I'm STARVING!!!" is the absolutely best battlecry.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

FuriousGeorge posted:

So are path actions more interesting in 2? I was excited for them in 1 since it seemed like they were finally trying to do choice & consequence in a JRPG. But they ended up disappointing because it never felt like there was any reason not to do every action to every character you could, turning them into just a rote list of things you did to exhaust the content of an area.

i haven't played 1, but it's mostly that

you won't necessarily use it on everyone--they're not all worth fighting for whatever or recruiting--but you'll probably want to check everyone to steal their poo poo

yes, even you, children with nothing but candy. i have no morals, gimme your crap

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Bemused Observer posted:

I agree, I she was the character I was most expecting to get on my nerves before I started playing, and I ended up loving her. Also, "I'm STARVING!!!" is the absolutely best battlecry.

Yeah she absolutely should have been the most obnoxious character but was delightfully far from it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Also ochettes theme is the best out of all the character themes

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yeah, I had rock bottom expectations for Ochette going into the game, and she along with Partitio ended up as my two favorite characters.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

FuriousGeorge posted:

So are path actions more interesting in 2? I was excited for them in 1 since it seemed like they were finally trying to do choice & consequence in a JRPG. But they ended up disappointing because it never felt like there was any reason not to do every action to every character you could, turning them into just a rote list of things you did to exhaust the content of an area.

Each character has two, one during the day and one at night. There are four categories of action (info, item, follow, KO) and I believe four different ways you can get each one which vary by type. There’s goofy stuff like beating people up for information, knocking them out by forcing a sleeping potion down their throat or getting a follower by giving them meat.

It definitely gives you a lot more options but the consequence for failure is the same as the first game, that your reputation is damaged and you have to pay to repair it.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

fridge corn posted:

Also ochettes theme is the best out of all the character themes

She definitely has my favourite rendition of The Journey Ends, though Osvald's is very good as well

Also yeah I had absolutely no faith Ochette would be remotely good but she ended up being surprisingly really fun.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm super partial to Castti's version of Journey Ends. But maybe it's just cause she was the first story I completed.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

from

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My only nitpick with Ochette is (full-game spoilers) she doesn't really have any personal growth during the course of her story, though that's probably more because beastlings are already pretty pure at heart due to their origins. She does decide to become the island's next protector, but that compassion for others, beast and human, has always been part of her character.

That's very minor though, Ochette owns regardless.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Mega64 posted:

My only nitpick with Ochette is (full-game spoilers) she doesn't really have any personal growth during the course of her story, though that's probably more because beastlings are already pretty pure at heart due to their origins. She does decide to become the island's next protector, but that compassion for others, beast and human, has always been part of her character.

It reflects in the flat structure of her chapters. Ochette's story is about her just being Ochette at a problem and handling it and I think serves as an intentional contrast to the other characters.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Now that I've done everything there is to do in Octopath 2 I feel simultaneously sad that it's over but really satisfied with the experience. What a fantastic game this is.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

It reflects in the flat structure of her chapters. Ochette's story is about her just being Ochette at a problem and handling it and I think serves as an intentional contrast to the other characters.

I really like her narrative because it’s the most JRPG-rear end JRPG thing in the game.

I’m messing around about them not threading the needle, btw. I just don’t like cutesy characters in these type of games they always grate on my nerves.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

Ochette's story is mostly about learning not to be a lazy rear end, uninterested in everything not on her island. In the beginning, she only wants to hunt and eat. In the end, after returning home, she has realized that being the protector is actual work someone has to do, and involves more than just hunting and eating. Basically, she goes from being Ochette to being Ochette+ (this is a Might and Magic II reference)

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

I do appreciate that this is a plot point in Ochette/Castti's story, where Ochette literally cannot be corrupted because her heart does not understand evil, only meat

Anyway the one thing that does bug me about Ochette is that her official design is a wierd
gremlin who's like three feet tall and her sprite is just a normal person with ears.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Speaking if Ochette it was awesome having Scourge of the Sea respawn, turn into an easy battle from being a higher level, and realizing I could capture some of the sub bosses as my Pokemon

I also chose the owl at the beginning mostly because I thought the sprite preening itself was cute

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I can't imagine not choosing the owl

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Owl ftw.

I also like Ochette as kind of the heart of the party, incorruptible and pure, even though Agnea is probably supposed to be that. She has the unique song and all.

Ending spoiler and question: When Oboro asks the octopathers if they have even the slightest doubts or whatever, Ochette just says "No. None at all" and I felt that was 100% her. Do the others also give a flat absolutely no doubts whatsoever response or is it a little more nuanced. I feel Throne would be "eh people kinda suck but that's not enough to end the world"

EN Castti saying "With this axe these hands!" is top notch

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 26, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I will admit, Castii has never really felt like a coherent part of any of my teams.

Osvald/Ochette/Throne/Temenos is sleek as gently caress
Hikari/Partitio/Casti/Agnea MOSTLY feels good but I rarely have any idea what the gently caress to do with her in that line up. I’m hoping Conjurer will help.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Castti never left my team. Ever

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I will admit, Castii has never really felt like a coherent part of any of my teams.

Hikari/Partitio/Casti/Agnea MOSTLY feels good but I rarely have any idea what the gently caress to do with her in that line up. I’m hoping Conjurer will help.

You go to the black market, you buy as many BP pomegranates ingredients as you can.

You then max boost and mix BP / BP / SP / Power up / Diffuse and generates 4 BP / 200 SP on your entire party.

Then you kill the game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You use the Dancer Divine skill on Castti. Then you use her EX skill from beating her story at full boost. Enjoy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ApplesandOranges posted:

You use the Dancer Divine skill on Castti. Then you use her EX skill from beating her story at full boost. Enjoy.

Ah I haven’t done her story to completion yet. Maybe that’ll make her feel like she clicks.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

GloomMouse posted:

I also like Ochette as kind of the heart of the party, incorruptible and pure, even though Agnea is probably supposed to be that. She has the unique song and all.

Ending spoiler and question: When Oboro asks the octopathers if they have even the slightest doubts or whatever, Ochette just says "No. None at all" and I felt that was 100% her. Do the others also give a flat absolutely no doubts whatsoever response or is it a little more nuanced. I feel Throne would be "eh people kinda suck but that's not enough to end the world"

I think the game is intentionally written such that, as much as possible, you can end up feeling like any given character is the heart of the story, so deciding on Ochette in that role versus Agnea is perfectly valid!

In response to your ending question, I don't remember being asked about slightest doubts. I think each character does get a unique bold declaration to Oboro before the final fight, but he might set it up differently based on who your lead is. My lead was Osvald, and he gave a little speech about the power of love and protecting those dear to him!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

GloomMouse posted:

I forget the exact phrasing, but Throné's response is, paraphrased: "'No, the dawn is worth it.' But that's not going to change your mind, is it? You don't actually care what we have to say, so I'd rather just skip the speeches and get this over with." It's quite good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Like Nat20 said, hit up the black market outside the Abandoned Village and cycle day/night until the merchant selling Pomegranate Leaves shows up. Buy a bunch of those and Diffusing Serums and enjoy having infinite BP whenever she's on the team. Castti is busted.

GloomMouse posted:

Ending stuff: Hikari gives a little speech about the power of friendship and how the dawn is worth it. He's also extra serious and a bit mournful because he's known Oboro as his friend Kazan for years.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like that Concoct is radically different than OT1 yet still just as busted.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Casti with cleric as her second class is an A+ healer with crazy concoctions on top of it and I almost never wanted her out of my party no matter what make I'm using for the rest. Her axe sweep was also really useful depending on the weaknesses of who I was fighting

Also her story is maybe my favorite. Top three for sure

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

lmao well poo poo. I complained the game needed more unique missable dialogue... and now I'm sad there's unique missable dialogue. Still I'm glad they tweaked that to fit the character. It's me, I'm the problem gamer, never happy!

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I'm only in the early 30s but I find Osvald to easily be the least useful so far. Every other character just seems to have so much more potential to be broken or to provide really broken support.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Oops I did that thing where I was trying to level up some underleveled party members before their chapter 2 and found a couple too many Caits and now Throné is level 30 before I’ve finished all the chapter 2 stories.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chasiubao posted:

Oops I did that thing where I was trying to level up some underleveled party members before their chapter 2 and found a couple too many Caits and now Throné is level 30 before I’ve finished all the chapter 2 stories.

It won't matter too much as long as you avoid giving them the best possible weapons. Octopath 2 really needed to have double, maybe triple the boss HP.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

Most of your power comes from gear, then various character + Job + subskill combos. Having someone 20 levels higher than everyone else won't change too much if you're still in low chapter equips

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Right, I keep forgetting that. Well having a high level Throné does mean I can steal everything not nailed down.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Just played the demo for this and I'm floored that they made JRPG combat fun with a single character

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chasiubao posted:

Yeah it's sort of inevitable that your main character is going to end up pretty overleveled. Besides nerfing Throne with crappy gear, you could also have her play a support role if you don't want her to just steamroll everything. Give her a subjob with good support like Dancer or Merchant and let that be her main role in combat so others have a chance to shine. That's what I did with Hikari for most of the chapter 2 and 3 time because he also ended up like 10+ levels above everyone else. (This is assuming you don't want to just have her nuke everything, of course.)

Some people also rush to finish their lead character's story so they can swap them out of the party but I preferred to spread the stories out and having a support Hikari was a way to do that without having him just solo every boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Partitio was my lead character and even after I finished his story I kept him in the party at all times, I just got used to him being too useful.