Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Is Windows 10 not a free upgrade anymore?

I think I'm about to find out in about 200 days

e: Regards to Steam telling their users on old operating systems to go gently caress themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rappaport posted:

I think I'm about to find out in about 200 days

e: Regards to Steam telling their users on old operating systems to go gently caress themselves

I think there is at least a little bit of merit to forcing the upgrade; Microsoft is no longer providing security updates to this OS. They have 100% ended service for Windows 7, and so its a very insecure OS to use now. Valve is probably tired of having to tell users that they can't provide support, and a lot of users refunding games because they didn't realize it doesn't play on Windows 7.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

As far as I'm aware 10 is still a free upgrade despite Microsoft saying the offer would end, but legit keys are like $15 in SA-Mart.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I really can't believe how good pentiment has been, this was one I definitely needed some encouragement to try because I only have the most surface level knowledge of the history it covers, but it turns out you don't need to know the history to simply enjoy it as a well-written, engaging and poignant story. the game does a good enough job explaining the high notes through the summaries of historical figures/places/theology you can read in the margins. I haven't thought this hard about what choices to make in any other game, and I can't wait to see how it ends because I absolutely did not expect it to turn out this way. I have no idea how much your choices really affect the story or if it finds a way to go this way no matter what, but it's been a fantastic journey all the same.

there are too many clever artistic details and continuities to list, but here's a random one I especially enjoyed (do not click on this if you haven't played the game yet and there's a nonzero chance that you will):

When listening to Sebhat tell a story to the town kids, a small child (Anna) grabbed Andreas' hat and put it on. I didn't try to take it back and it wasn't just a gag for that scene, Andreas actually stayed bareheaded for the rest of the act.

7 years later, I went to her parents' house and saw she was still wearing the same hat, with some added wear and tear.

Another 18 years later, Anna's child is wearing that hat.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

WirelessPillow posted:

Linus Tech Tips had a video about that just today, check out their video which outlines somewhat how it works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc7CIkZcWYE

The website in question is this, I'm on windows 11 and won't be using it but it may be of value to anyone with older gear, at your own risk of course.https://atlasos.net/downloads
i looked at that website and it mentions it removes windows defender and windows update which seems like things you don't want to remove. lol

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Let me add another thumbs up for Linux for gaming. I've been using it for a while despite my gaming PC being brand spanking new, and most games just work nowadays.

Last month I've also installed Linux Mint on my mom's old laptop (made in 2005 or so, meaning the only thing it supported was Windows XP that I had no desire of ressurecting) and except for having to make sure the USB stick was bootable with BIOS (and not UEFI) it all went smoothly.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Owl Inspector posted:

When listening to Sebhat tell a story to the town kids, a small child (Anna) grabbed Andreas' hat and put it on. I didn't try to take it back and it wasn't just a gag for that scene, Andreas actually stayed bareheaded for the rest of the act.

7 years later, I went to her parents' house and saw she was still wearing the same hat, with some added wear and tear.

Another 18 years later, Anna's child is wearing that hat.

Okay that's incredible

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

alright i have a new capsule review but this one is not really for a Steam game. still, it's on PC and you can just download the launcher from the website. let's talk about

Honkai Star Rail

the new game by the developer of Genshin Impact, the game that you'll have to deal with other people talking about in your feeds for the next year, has finally launched. you've probably seen trailers of very sci-fi anime cutscenes happening during the Game Awards/E3 or w/e. If your assumption is that Honkai is just Genshin in space... you're not entirely wrong, but you are pretty wrong.

see, the game has a lot of the same DNA as Genshin Impact. it's got the dailies, it's got the adventure rank, it's got the various claimable rewards for achievements and completing tasks, it's got the leveling system where you use materials to quickly level characters up, it's got a near identical UI and fonts. It's got the dozens of 3/4/5-star gacha characters where I have no idea what differentiates a 3 from a 5 star aside from people like the character design.

what Honkai is NOT, however, is an open-world anime Breath of the Wild adventure with vast regions of explorable continents full of puzzles and dungeons. what honkai IS, is a PS2-rear end sci-fi JRPG with turn-based combat and linear corridor dungeons. you don't just roam the world finding stuff. you are shuttled from story beat to story beat with some side questing, domains and daily tasks all on the side. this might be refreshing to those who found Genshin's size/scope and knack for putting off story content for hours, to be a bit exhausting. I do expect main story quests to eventually be gated behind adventure rank (in this game, it's called trailblazer rank), but for now i've been moving along just fine and i'm on the first planet of the game's campaign.

since the game just throws a bunch of jargon and characters at you without much or any explanation, I'll do my best to sum up what I've gathered based on just playing through the first couple of hours of story. there are these deities called Aeons that have walked the stars, and the Astral Express is this literal space train following the path of one of them, encountering planets that have become corrupted due to a mysterious dangerous force called the.... gently caress i forgot it already. the something or other. The Simallaron or something like that. IDK. You are found without memories on a spaceship being attacked by an evil enemy called the Antimatter Legion, and somehow you've wound up with one of those Simulacramons inside your body, which gets you an invitation on the Express to help try to seal off the Smallaramions on these other planets that are causing all sorts of problems (the first planet you come to, for example, has been trapped in eternal winter for 700 years).

combat is turn-based, with a turn order in the corner and a relatively simple battle setup. Each character has a basic attack (which generates energy) and a skill attack (which uses energy), and they are aligned to certain elements. enemies have Break meters that you can destroy by hitting their elemental weaknesses, and breaking an enemy with a certain element will have certain results (an ice break, for example, will Freeze the enemy and force them to forfeit their next turn along with taking extra damage). characters also have Ultimate attacks which build up over time and can be summoned regardless of turn order, much like S-Crafts in the Trails series. i won't say that this is the most tactical battle system, it's pretty simple and you don't even have the option of items or fleeing, but it at least requires a tiny bit of thought, and unless you have a character with a healing ability, you ain't getting any healing, not even during a boss fight. (maybe there is something you can unlock down the road?? but i doubt it). you've got a 4 character limit in battle, and obviously with the amount of characters you'll amass, the game is nice enough to allow you to set up a bunch of 'teams' in your formation menu that you can switch between.

on the field, characters have an exploration ability (the protagonist for example can heal the party a slight amount) which costs an exploration point, which you can recover if you find a purple canister. there's stuff to smash in dungeons for some little items, there's of course treasure chests. but the dungeons, at least to this point, haven't offered much in the way of side paths. they have twists and turns but you're generally going from point A to point B with no deviation, although they do tuck away chests in some spots. it's not quite FF13, it's not a literal straight line, but, idk, they could've thrown a puzzle in or something. i dunno.

so, I can't speak to whether the gacha elements are too pervasive, because I am basically gacha-immune. if a game forces me to make a pull, I'll do it, but I actually don't like having to manage too many characters, so, i actually don't play the gacha slots, really. usually these games give me enough story characters that I just make do with what they've given me. already from story events and reward claims, i've ended up with over 6 characters in my party, and, i already am not super caring about these other 2 characters that don't gain EXP from battles that they're not in. (i guess it is important to have at least one character with each element though). the game has some form of f2p energy consumption, but it's solely related to doing dailies which I already don't care about, because repetitive tasks were not something I liked in Genshin, and I find them even more pointless in a PS2-rear end JRPG. if you're someone who gets addicted to trying to get a rare character, or you somehow really care about these tertiary characters that don't actually contribute to plot cutscenes, or you love mindless dailies, then, i dunno, maybe you'll have trouble keeping yourself from spending money. I myself am not in any danger.

since this is the Steam thread, the answer to "how anime is it" is: anime. to this point it's been chaste and normie, and its level of anime is concentrated purely in the splashiness of ultimate attacks, the overwhelming amount of terms and phrases they just chuck at you, and of course the art style itself (which looks no different than Genshin's art). it is neither the cringey fanservice-fest that is Xenoblade Chronicles 2, nor is it the religious metaphor-filled soap opera that is Xenosaga. i'm not quite sure exactly what game it will ultimately remind me of. with the fact that the first planet is only vaguely aware of travelers from beyond the sky, maybe Star Ocean but not bafflingly ugly? the game looks fine if a little undetailed in its environments (like i said, very PS2), and areas load super fast on PC which is nice.

whether the game is actually worth your time is something I can't truly answer until I've played through at least a couple of planets' worth of story content. the combat's simplicity could end up being a major thorn in the game (though it does have 2X speed and auto-battle options). the story could take some groan-inducing turns. i don't really know yet. it's been inoffensive so far. much like genshin the game likes to really let its characters talk and talk and talk. i've encountered a rogue-ish character on the snow planet named SAMPO. your best friend in the game is named MARCH 7TH because it's the date she was found in a block of ice drifting through space by the Express crew. i am excited to see what other bizarre character names the game has in store for me.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 27, 2023

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

I said come in! posted:

I think there is at least a little bit of merit to forcing the upgrade; Microsoft is no longer providing security updates to this OS. They have 100% ended service for Windows 7, and so its a very insecure OS to use now. Valve is probably tired of having to tell users that they can't provide support, and a lot of users refunding games because they didn't realize it doesn't play on Windows 7.

That's mostly accurate. Microsoft are doing monthly security updates for Windows 7 though. The mantra that they don't is self-perpetuating since contradicting it ends in yelling. On the other hand, I'm sure those updates only have the bare minimum needed to squirm through whatever legal obligation enforces them.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 27, 2023

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i downloaded the street fighter 6 demo and i'm gonna do it. i'm gonna pre-order.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

i downloaded the street fighter 6 demo and i'm gonna do it. i'm gonna pre-order.

Oh hey, that's Seth's less important brother. Bob.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
huh. Steam cards and badges got added to Dragon Age: Origins.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I said come in! posted:

the specific thing forcing the issue is that a big chunk of steam runs on an embedded version of google chrome, and google are ending support for 7 and 8 soonish

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

After a full day of doing questionable work for questionable people just to get by my clothing really started to smell, and I didn't want that to affect my sneaking, but I also had no way to wash it because like is tough as a hobo-cop.
I had to resort to going through an apartment building, during working hours, and looking under every doormat until I found someone's key to their apartment door under one, just so I could take a shower at their place (and maybe also eat their candy bar).

Back to the detective work now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

your apartment has a shower but you have to remember where you live

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

unruly posted:

Anyone played Deceive Inc? It looks like a cross between TF2 and Evil Genius.

Interesting concept, but I'm not sure how well it actually plays, despite looking pretty decent.

I picked up Deceive Inc. a couple weeks ago and I’ve had a very mixed experience. It has big problems with the new player onboarding unfortunately. When you’re matched with people at your own skill level, the game is a blast and there’s nothing else like it around. But there’s no skill based match making at all and the player base is still small, so you get grouped with high level players a majority of the time even when you’re brand new. There’s a big learning curve in Deceive Inc. and it’s extremely unfun when you’re still fumbling with the controls and how the big-rear end levels flow and you get constantly steamrolled by players who know every corner of the maps and have all the best gear unlocked. The progression and unlocks are very very slow too, which keeps that imbalance in play for a long time even if you’ve got a natural knack for the game. It’s really dumb and confusing design not to just give all the tools at once. As much as the marketing plays up the sneaky spy stuff, the meta for the game leans very heavily toward gunplay, so if you’ve got good FPS skills then you’ll have a much better experience. Almost every game will end in a fight, so you can’t just out sneak and win under most circumstances. I had a ton of fun my first night and ended up winning my third match after making a couple of good plays and having an unexpected galaxy-brain moment at the end of the match. Felt great and I couldn’t wait to play again. The next night I died more than once literally before leaving the first room. Like less than 60 seconds in and roving murder squads charge in for an insta-kill. Lots of extremely lopsided losses for unclear reasons to high level players. Just super uneven. I ended up putting it down and went back to something else in hopes that they’ll put some sort of sensible matching system and more balance tweaks. So, the game is really fun, but can be brutal for newcomers. If you’ve got good FPS skills or the patience to get mulched a bunch before things start to click then it’s worth your time though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sounds like the old Assassin’s Creed MP issue of the right answer is to just be running around like a maniac killing your targets cause your score will always outpace the people playing ‘correctly.’

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 27, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

your apartment has a shower but you have to remember where you live

I started a Sandbox game and you start as a hobo-cop on default settings then.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

My favorite part of Tunic was after I finished it and did all the language stuff the dev posted about how the jingles and poo poo are also speaking via a language based on tones and chords for letters and I realized the dev was insane

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
On my Friends small window, the pop-down menu beside my name pulls down, but is pure black. The options work, but not being able to see what they do is an issue. Is there a known fix?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

A rejected J.A.C.K. from Tekken got kicked out of the franchise

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why is EA making a Vampire Survivors clone in a Star Wars universe and why can't it do 60 fps even on a 4090?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

alright i have a new capsule review but this one is not really for a Steam game. still, it's on PC and you can just download the launcher from the website. let's talk about

Honkai Star Rail

Hate gatcha, hate genshin, but now you have my attention, is it free to play?

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

My favorite part of Tunic was after I finished it and did all the language stuff the dev posted about how the jingles and poo poo are also speaking via a language based on tones and chords for letters and I realized the dev was insane

Tune-ic

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Hate gatcha, hate genshin, but now you have my attention, is it free to play?

Yeah its free to play with a bunch of gacha / exploitative cash shop stuff.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Googling "Honkai Star Rail Steam" and the top result is an anime child.

On the second though, I don't know what I expected from the same people that made Genshin.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

At least the Genshin devs are not going anywhere, so you can probably safely invest money into the game if you're an idiot. So many of these games are being shut down left and right, or the devs are just abandoning them and putting them into maintenance mode.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Jack Trades posted:

On the second though, I don't know what I expected from the same people that made Genshin.

How could the people behind Zombiegal Kawaii, Guns Girl Z and N0va Desktop betray us like this

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

To this point my party is all adults, there’s a robot girl named Herta but I did not include her bc I already had a full party for battle but even if I had she wouldn’t show up in cutscenes

e: at least to this point, the only people who show up in cutscenes are MC, March 7th, Dan Heng, and whatever other characters they are interacting with. sometimes an NPC will join the party briefly as a temporary character, and those characters will show up in cutscenes. otherwise it's like. idk. 16-20 yo teens/adults dressed fairly normally

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 27, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To gently steer the conversation into more pleasant waters... Wasn't there supposed to be a DLC for The Case of the Golden Idol out today?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY5Su6Ndwd8

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jack Trades posted:

Why is EA making a Vampire Survivors clone in a Star Wars universe and why can't it do 60 fps even on a 4090?

My brain is rotted, this idea excites me.

I'm picturing something like the arena on Geonosis and playing as a jedi with 48 lightsabers ala Brotato going ham on hundreds of droids and geonosians.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

One's brain is only rotted if they say why NOT vampire survivor all the things :colbert: It's such a fun, easy genre/concept to play with

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Jack Trades posted:

are you suggesting this implies something nefarious? why is it a problem if there are anime kids in a video game? i'm deeply confused

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

drat 1070 min req

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

The 7th Guest posted:

i looked at that website and it mentions it removes windows defender and windows update which seems like things you don't want to remove. lol

True, you'd only be able to update when Atlas does, and you would have to use a third party anti-virus.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

anilEhilated posted:

To gently steer the conversation into more pleasant waters... Wasn't there supposed to be a DLC for The Case of the Golden Idol out today?

Unfortunately no, but the good news is that it is actually next week.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/excellent-detective-game-the-case-of-the-golden-idol-is-getting-three-prequel-dlc-cases-next-week

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

are you suggesting this implies something nefarious? why is it a problem if there are anime kids in a video game? i'm deeply confused

consider why we have a rule about not equating anime watching or playing with pedophilia and what that says about some people's attitudes to anything anime

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The 7th Guest posted:

drat 1070 min req

That reminds me that I've just started playing Deathloop (seems all right but definitely more simplistic than their other games and unless I'm missing something, the areas are real small) and it holds the questionable distinction of being the first game to make my 4080 drop frames. Apparently it's a bigass memory leak that they never bothered to fix because my FPS goes from nearly 200 in the first area to often sub-60 by the time the third map loads. The fix I'm seeing is to restart the game every time you load into a new map which :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

squad goals