Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

big scary monsters posted:

If you go to Steam > Settings > Steam Play and enable for both supported and other titles then you should get a lot more to run. You can check how well supported a specific game is here: https://www.protondb.com/

Thanks for that! I knew they'd put in a lot of work on Linux compatibility but didn't know they'd hidden it away. I still have some gaming issues but there's probably a better thread than this to post them in.

edit: Best snipe image I could make in 2 minutes in Linux having never used Gimp before

https://twitter.com/allianceparty/status/1651270750442078222

Clyde Radcliffe fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Mirrors & cattes chat:

This is a lovely little short story where the protagonist is Gummitch, the Super Kitten. (It's not a kids' story).

https://faculty.uca.edu/rnovy/Leiber--SpaceTime%20for%20Springers.htm

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

OwlFancier posted:

I remember when I was very young I was fascinated by how mirrors worked, I did have the distinct feel that they were another place on the other side of the glass, I kept trying to see behind the plane of the mirror.

Not sure when I stopped feeling that way but it must have been at quite a young age.

i understand how mirrors and optics work but i still have the suspicion that the guy on the other side is going to stop copying me one of these days

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bit random but does anybody want a 5% fanatical coupon? I think I am unlikely to buy another game in a month so might as well go to someone else. Will ask in games if nobody wants it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i understand how mirrors and optics work but i still have the suspicion that the guy on the other side is going to stop copying me one of these days

Do LSD once and you'll never fully trust the mirror-man ever again

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

Convex posted:

Do you like crumbling infrastructure, long walks and diligently taking pictures of safety hazards? Pick up Infra on Steam as it's £4.75 and includes all of this in the Half-Life 2 engine. I didn't make this game, and don't know the people who did, but it is fun and (relatively) cheap and doesn't include any loving tories.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/251110/INFRA/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir2-1TMUZtU

Do not sleep on this. INFRA is one of the best games I've ever played and it's atmosphere and environment design scratch itches I didn't know I had.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Thanks for that! I knew they'd put in a lot of work on Linux compatibility but didn't know they'd hidden it away. I still have some gaming issues but there's probably a better thread than this to post them in.

The Linux gaming thread is probably your best bet.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004994

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Mail appalled that the cunning provos are gonna get a slice of delicious egg tart.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can't believe that the king of england is a hardline republican communist :mad:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does seem slightly weird to invite sinn fein to the coronation lmao, I feel like that's an insult.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

It does seem slightly weird to invite sinn fein to the coronation lmao, I feel like that's an insult.

She’s the First Minister of Northern Ireland. Why would she not be invited?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

The Mail appalled that the cunning provos are gonna get a slice of delicious egg tart.

poor old mrs paulie walnuts

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

She’s the First Minister of Northern Ireland. Why would she not be invited?

Refusing to swear oath to the monarch but still going to the coronation is just an odd contrast, unless you really want to demolish the little triangular sandwiches. And even if she did go it seems cruel to put her through that.

I suppose I might be persuaded to go just for the sandwiches, depending on what's on offer.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 26, 2023

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Given the guest list has been fiercely cut down, she's presumably been invited on the assumption that she won't attend.

Paulie Walnuts may not be attending but she got a personal phone call from the palace to let her know, which is more than most of us will get.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
"from an IRA family" is a fun one, like, does the sin transfer through the bloodline

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Angepain posted:

"from an IRA family" is a fun one, like, does the sin transfer through the bloodline

does it with the royal family?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If it doesn't then maybe we should reconsider the whole heredity idea and not pick heads of state like that.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Guavanaut posted:

If it doesn't then maybe we should reconsider the whole heredity idea and not pick heads of state like that.

i agree wholeheartedly.

Dude you're quite agitated recently it seems. Not a criticism.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

keep punching joe posted:

All I do on the computer is post and watch YouTube videos of power washing, don't need Windows for that, check mate bill gates.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1290000/PowerWash_Simulator/

(you don't need Windows, it runs on Proton Linux and also Xbox / PS)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8QyMYoWJCw

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Worth noting that if it's watching the videos specifically you like, you can also do that in the game by opening your game up to randos who will come in and do all the power washing while you watch.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

edit: Best snipe image I could make in 2 minutes in Linux having never used Gimp before

https://twitter.com/allianceparty/status/1651270750442078222

Never looked too deeply into Alliance policies but after SDLP washed out locally they are my best choice for a sane party over here.

edit:

Thanks for the thread link, totally missed it's existence. :tipshat:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 27, 2023

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Guavanaut posted:

A CIC is a limited company, you need a limited company and then you need to register an asset lock so that the profits of it will go to the community instead of the shareholders, with some kind of charter for how you will do that.

So it's not an immediate "she ran off with the money" sign yet.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's normal for a charity to have a limited company alongside it:

https://www.vistra.com/insights/4-types-legal-structure-charity

The small charity I work for has one too and I can assure you no one is running off with the cash (despite getting some backpay this month!)

Thanks for the answers on this, so is it more a case of this status will likely be updated when registered as a charity?

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/14822113

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

OwlFancier posted:

It also has possibly some of the most absurd escalation in a video game. In that you start out going to a meeting at the office and end up fixing a melting down nuclear power plant

As a Finnish game it is set in a fictional post-communist country with a rotten infrastructure that also happens to have a very Finnish culture, the nuke plant itself is a reference to Olkiluoto-3 which was finished just last month, just 14 years behind original schedule.

When INFRA was released it was still only seven years late!

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

Never looked too deeply into Alliance policies but after SDLP washed out locally they are my best choice for a sane party over here.

Sorry to inform you but Alliance are just Lib Dems. Their main issue, aside from that is they're just fence sitters on most social issues. They're probably still worth a vote if there's no other good candidate in your constituency but I personally have little hope in them actually changing anything for the better.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Refusing to swear oath to the monarch but still going to the coronation is just an odd contrast, unless you really want to demolish the little triangular sandwiches. And even if she did go it seems cruel to put her through that.

I suppose I might be persuaded to go just for the sandwiches, depending on what's on offer.

It's politics.
If you don't send an invite, you are sending a message that you don't consider them part of the union.
So you do, and seeing past history of not going, then its their own fault for not accepting.
If they accept, they are just a face in the crowd.

Sinn Fein have nothing to gain by refusing it either.
As First Minister she can go 'see we can govern ourselves and be cordial' to the world not just the UK.
You don't have to swear anything, just turn up, try not to pick your nose in front of the cameras for 2 hours, and eat the quiche after.
And it pisses off the DUP.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 27, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/richard_littler/status/1651505281874919425?t=uoLTKNSp4wmHF-AL7w6KBg&s=19

:hmmyes:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I quite enjoy Alister Heath articles, they're always exuberantly insane. He'll start with a kinda reasonable premise and then blame the whole thing on an evil cabal of woke wreckers who are secretly running the country and concludes that our society is about to collapse like the Fall of the Roman Empire.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You can almost see his head throbbing

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
An update on the University and College Union's (UCU) ongoing dispute with institutes of higher education.

After escalating strike action this last semester resulted in minimal progress in negotiations, UCU members voted to step up the action even further with a marking and assessment boycott (MAB). This is the nuclear option, as it means that members will not mark any exams or final assignments, preventing students from fulfilling prerequisites or graduating, until a settlement is reached.

I've been observing all strike days and joining the picket line at my institution since this round of action began, but we've gotten two new pieces of information over the last couple of weeks that are making me question the wisdom of the MAB:

A) My institution announced to all students that it would award them placeholder marks and degrees even if the MAB extends past the end of the semester, allowing them to progress or graduate without issue. To sweeten the deal, the administration even included a clause that placeholder marks can go up but not down once the actual marks come in.

B) My institution also announced that everyone observing the MAB will be deducted 50% pay until they inform the uni in writing that they no longer wish to participate. Keep in mind that even during this busy exam period marking does not make up 50% of our workload, and that we will ultimately need to do the marking anyway, just at some future date when the dispute ends.

So as it stands I and my colleagues are looking at taking a 50% pay cut indefinitely while having to do 100% of the work, just at a more inconvenient time in the future, to make a stand that ultimately puts no pressure on the groups whose opinion the uni is most concerned about, the students and their parents. The administration may be bluffing--the workaround measures they have promised to put in place to make the placeholder degrees function are no doubt incredibly costly to implement--but I'm not sure I can afford an indefinite 50% pay cut for something that ultimately appears to be a symbolic gesture. On top of that, once we get past the end of the semester any pressure that unis are feeling would dissipate until the next semester starts again in the autumn.

Anyone else observing the MAB? Thoughts?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/hewitson10/status/1651480828390658048

:allears:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Make Britain great again

https://twitter.com/ITNArchive/status/1651209403931021313

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

quote:

74% of people aged 45-54 were homeowners in 2009-10. In 2021-22 this had fallen to 65.5%. Assuming this trend continues, and home ownership rates drop around eight percentage points per decade, this would fall to around 30% in 2071-72.

quote:

Keir Starmer has said he wants to see home ownership rise to 70%. In 2020 the figure for England was 65%.

Labour very optimistic about the future. Home-ownership will still exist as a concept in 2070s!

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Tory : ~ complains we need more power because we can't do the fascism ~

Liberal interviewer boxing clever ~ but why don't we just do the fascism with your powers right now? ~

Tory ~ well err, wasn't expecting that response, I, err... ~

Liberal commentators ~ haha the Tories are useless, because they don't have the guts to do the real fascism, get owned ~

I'm not sure how this is supposed to work out as a critique in the long run. (Oh yes I do)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Desiderata posted:

Tory : ~ complains we need more power because we can't do the fascism ~

Liberal interviewer boxing clever ~ but why don't we just do the fascism with your powers right now? ~

Tory ~ well err, wasn't expecting that response, I, err... ~

Liberal commentators ~ haha the Tories are useless, because they don't have the guts to do the real fascism, get owned ~

I'm not sure how this is supposed to work out as a critique in the long run. (Oh yes I do)

I think your miss construing her point. Coming here by boat to seek asylum isn't illegal like the Tories claim. If it was they could indeed just arrest them. She is just pointing out that he's lying about it being illegal by using this point.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Mega Comrade posted:

I think your miss construing her point. Coming here by boat to seek asylum isn't illegal like the Tories claim. If it was they could indeed just arrest them. She is just pointing out that he's lying about it being illegal by using this point.

No no I do get the intended point. My point: is that her unintended point is flat out agreeing that the goals are correct, that "why aren't we just arresting them" is not quite a slam dunk it sounds if you're not already clear on, and onboard with, international refugee law, and most of the general public are not.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

happyhippy posted:

It's politics.
If you don't send an invite, you are sending a message that you don't consider them part of the union.
So you do, and seeing past history of not going, then its their own fault for not accepting.
If they accept, they are just a face in the crowd.

Sinn Fein have nothing to gain by refusing it either.
As First Minister she can go 'see we can govern ourselves and be cordial' to the world not just the UK.
You don't have to swear anything, just turn up, try not to pick your nose in front of the cameras for 2 hours, and eat the quiche after.
And it pisses off the DUP.

It’s this. Sinn Fein are playing a longer and much smarter game than the DUP. Michelle did an interview for BBCNI last night and smilingly explained that as First Minister she wanted to be inclusive of everyone in NI and attend the coronation to represent all those here who want an English Monarch. It’s smart politics and it makes steam come out of Ian Paisley and Sammy Wilson’s ears at the same time.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

:qq:

Desiderata posted:

No no I do get the intended point. My point: is that her unintended point is flat out agreeing that the goals are correct, that "why aren't we just arresting them" is not quite a slam dunk it sounds if you're not already clear on, and onboard with, international refugee law, and most of the general public are not.

If we only make arguments that the whole general public could understand, pm questions would just be throwing rocks.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
ASLEF called three more strike dates: 12th May, 31st May & 3rd June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I bet Keith could do this with a pint of whiskey